Forums

Character Profile Image Upload Temporarily Disabled

VRock

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew this was going to happen since the NA closed beta. So many people were abusing the hell out of the system with lewd imagery. I'm willing to bet that not only will they only allow jpeg images, but they'll probably set it up so that images have to be screened and approved by NCSoft moderators before images will appear on your profile.

Don't blame NCSoft for wanting to change the profile system. Blame all the nimrods that decided not to use sensible profile pictures because "lol M-rated game, that means I should be able to stick as many bare boobs and butts and sexually explicit images on my profile pic as I want."

This is absolutely pathetic. They are wasting resources on this when they should be focusing on getting rid of the damn bots. Why? WHY? Are they afraid someone is going to be offended by some imagery? The MOST offensive things in this game are the godawful translation and all the bots running rampant. The skills trees are hard to understand with the broken english and inconsistent naming of the skills. Then you have bots almost completely destroying arena and blue dungeons and they wanna TAKE AWAY features? Are you kidding me?

8 hours ago, DosonTheGreat said:

This is absolutely pathetic. They are wasting resources on this when they should be focusing on getting rid of the damn bots. Why? WHY? Are they afraid someone is going to be offended by some imagery? The MOST offensive things in this game are the godawful translation and all the bots running rampant. The skills trees are hard to understand with the broken english and inconsistent naming of the skills. Then you have bots almost completely destroying arena and blue dungeons and they wanna TAKE AWAY features? Are you kidding me?

baby :-*

Anyways whats this game rated?

-nevermind rated 15+ for esports. Rip.

9 hours ago, DosonTheGreat said:

Really? They shouldn't let people post nude pictures so it's only obvious they are going to disable the function and that doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the bots. You're just complaining because you want to complain.

This is absolutely pathetic. They are wasting resources on this when they should be focusing on getting rid of the damn bots. Why? WHY?

Because they probably don't want to be forced into changing the game rating to 18+ or AO?

Announcement

Greetings,

In order to prevent unintended file formats uploaded to the character profile system, the image uploader feature has been suspended and images with the incorrect formats will be deleted.

The character profile image feature will undergo changes to its system, we will be sure to share more details about this new system when they are available.

If at all during your adventures in Blade & Soul you discover an inappropriate image within a player’s character profile, please submit a ticket to Customer Support and they will be able to take the look into the issue further.

We appreciate your patience while we make these changes,

Team Blade & Soul  

As me,many people put at least a minimum effort to put a nice gif in their profile,these are for me little things that make enjoyable a game."hum,what about making an offensive picture report feature?Nope,just let's disable the whole picture system,easier".Gj Ncsoft.At least confirm this is a temporary meassure or permanent.The way is going this game I think Black Desert will be my choice...

This is absolutely pathetic. They are wasting resources on this when they should be focusing on getting rid of the damn bots. 

You're making it sound like people who deal with web api/image processing are really good at creating bot-filter solutions and the only thing holding them back from making a perfect gameguard is that they have to work on image upload.

No.

I don't see what the big fuss is about removal of offensive profile images. It isn't game breaking in any way. Well, unless you are:

(1) vain, who tries to show off his/her profile image excessively -or- looks at his/her profile image at every possible moment

(2) a stalker, who looks at the profile of every character you meet

(3) a perv/ weabo, self explanatory.

Just now, Formus said:

okok, lets deal with that #%!"@ profile pictures guys. We absolutely ain't have more important problems at all. Like swarm of bots everywhere or so. NPNP

As I mentioned somewhere -  the people responsible for developing the web server and image processing that are working on it are not necessarily the same people that can work on FPS or latency or skills.

It's like seeing road workers on the road and complaining that there's a lot of accounting paperwork to be done while they're fixing roads that you don't use.

that's actually not so accurate example. 'are not necessarily the same people'. Ok, but they can be equally the same ppl.

They are focused on easy fixable but unimportant things instead of vice versa. At least from my pov.

Just now, Emya said:

I don't see what the big fuss is about removal of offensive profile images. It isn't game breaking in any way. Well, unless you are:

(1) vain, who tries to show off his/her profile image excessively -or- looks at his/her profile image at every possible moment

(2) a stalker, who looks at the profile of every character you meet

(3) a perv/ weabo, self explanatory.

The fuss is about the initial post being unclear. It states that they are removing "unintended file formats" which has nothing to do with offensive pictures. People just assume that this is about removing .gifs only, which is overall a very questionable decision in any event. If it's about nudity - people will post nude .jpegs anyway, if it's about huge file sizes - just put file size restriction policy.

Otherwise they might have meant something completely different, like disabling an ability to upload anything made outside of the game client. Which, I think, will at least serve it's purpose.

Though, wait. Then ppl will just use nude mods and post offensive pictures made in-game ._.

What I don't understand is, my photo is just a profile pic of myself, meaning it only showed my face so why was my photo got taken down? meanwhile I still see a whole lot of players still having female anime pictures showing boobs and G-strings?, this is so weird and confusing?, if uploading system is temp disabled, why are there so many players still able to keep their pictures?..........

NC, what are you doing?

Seriously, I want to know - what do you think you're accomplishing here?

You ignore the bots, you ignore the spammers, you ignore the hacks...

But custom profile pictures... A cool little bit of flair for your character.

Something just about everyone loved.

You take those away?

What the hell is your problem?

EDIT: By the way, I see our lovely support team has the resources to close the larger of the threads about this boneheaded move. I wonder if their time might not have been better spent banning bots in Arena, or RNG spammers in faction chat than in suppressing the legitimate concerns of the legitimate players.

29 minutes ago, Formus said:

that's actually not so accurate example. 'are not necessarily the same people'. Ok, but they can be equally the same ppl.

They are focused on easy fixable but unimportant things instead of vice versa. At least from my pov.

I was being unnecessarily sarcastic - people working on web endpoints are very very unlikely  to be related to the people working on latency and FPS.

Yeah, but seriously thinking it's just an illusion that is created by them.  They only tell you about the easily fixable things they do, as it's done pretty quick and affects you right away (i.e. image upload being down for maintenance) - they're not posting updates like "yeah we've been working on FPS and bot issues and we've been investigating latency today as well". So it feels like they're only working on unimportant stuff (but to be fair the image upload/loading profiles was bugging my client yesterday).

Then again, I'm not saying they're working on all other stuff - I just assume they are, because it's in their interest as well. But for all I know they might be sipping coffee at the office and laughing at people paying them money for pretending to work. (Which is, I guess, how most people imagine NC offices)

9 minutes ago, Lurkios said:

NC, what are you doing?

Seriously, I want to know - what do you think you're accomplishing here?

You ignore the bots, you ignore the spammers, you ignore the hacks...

But custom profile pictures... A cool little bit of flair for your character.

Something just about everyone loved.

You take those away?

What the hell is your problem?

You'll still be able to upload custom pictures for your character. Just not necessarily (unknown yet) gifs, and not corrupt data chunks.

Though even if they take gifs away I'll be alright with it. I don't really see it as necessary or beneficial, but that's just me.

16 hours ago, VRock said:

-.- so KR version can have gif images but here we can't. ty ncsoft, really -_-

=(

i had so many .gifs ready......

NN1x7jy.gifylJmR5P.gif

fiRTi94.gif8fUoUCP.gifse3lwmG.gifqvVfQ4B.gif

ever get the feeling NCsoft NA hates anime?

i mean...they butchered the story.

and now they blocking us from putting these in our profile....

kinda makes u want to question their logic in choosing an ANIME THEMED GAME.

wonder if they've seen Phantasy Star Online 2 and its in game clip art system.

that thing has anime gif/picture galore. and its glorious.

16 hours ago, 892228_1452550581 said:

I agree, but its probably due to the fact that people are posting offensive and or nudity profile picture that caused this to happen on NA, and for people to report it. I believe that if this has happened on other servers it would've happened a long time ago. 

Why do people assume Asians don't do any of these things, the mods don't care because it's not important just like the ogong. Since when showing cleavage makes a game M rated, blade and soul a teen friendly game. Scarlet blade shows T and A and that's m rated not bns... Na rating system is broken by feminist. A guy can go shirtless and it'll be E rated yet when a female does the same it becomes M rated.

5 minutes ago, Tomoko said:

ever get the feeling NCsoft NA hates anime?

i mean...they butchered the story.

and now they blocking us from putting these in our profile...

What the hell is with that logic? Removing .gifs => hating anime? 

... I'm not even gonna elaborate, please just think about it for a while.

Also even if the gifs will stay, for the love of what's holy crop them to appropriate aspect ratio first!!!

I don't care if it's a gif of trains or anime or memes or tits or whatever, a part of me dies every time I open a profile and see a double-height stretched gif. I guess it doesn't help that the guide on making gifs for profile does exactly that. 

Just now, RachelHunny said:

No, I can't even upload the in-game portraits as my profile pic, it just says "failed to upload photo"

Unless you mean after the maintenance which they still haven't state how long it'll take.

As the thread says:

"profile image upload temporarily disabled"

People have likely started uploading bs huge/corrupted files and that affected server stability, so the feature was disabled until it's fixed.

Never saw any offensive images and I stalk people's profiles pretty often. Why disable gifs completely? Just let us report those who put nasty stuff in their profiles and that's it. Why punish everyone? I want my gifs with kpop idols. :c

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

You'll still be able to upload custom pictures for your character. Just not necessarily (unknown yet) gifs, and not corrupt data chunks.

Though even if they take gifs away I'll be alright with it. I don't really see it as necessary or beneficial, but that's just me.

No, I can't even upload the in-game portraits as my profile pic, it just says "failed to upload photo"

Unless you mean after the maintenance which they still haven't state how long it'll take.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

What the hell is with that logic? Removing .gifs => hating anime? 

... I'm not even gonna elaborate, please just think about it for a while.

Also even if the gifs will stay, for the love of what's holy crop them to appropriate aspect ratio first!!!

I don't care if it's a gif of trains or anime or memes or tits or whatever, a part of me dies every time I open a profile and see a double-height stretched gif. I guess it doesn't help that the guide on making gifs for profile does exactly that. 

i haven't cropped them yet. nor did i get around to putting them in profile yet.

was still debating which one to use.

but now....  =(

as for why i saying they anime haters.   they took the BnS story that we anime fans were looking forward to (due to its story which is heavily based off asian folklore).   and "Westernized it"  aka censored it. As a result the story.....well the side stories are a lot less entertaining (i played the JP version...)  and the main story...has hickups.....the voice acting does NOT help.(oh god the voice acting hurts.....)

don't get me wrong. there are still parts i enjoy.  but i find myself noticing all the changes to the story they've made, and finding the "westernized" version a JOKE that seems half assed compared to the original.  the humor is dead. the shock and awe is...cut in half.

profile pictures was something i was looking forward to because, while a picture is....ok.   animated gifs are FAR superior. they let you tell a mini story or attract attention.

for example, my profile avatar in world of tanks

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/user/strike-witch-tomoko-1004663737/

i've had so many people send me private messages saying the avatar is so addicting to watch. that they've spent more time watching it than reading the post i've made in forums.

for me, i like that.  but now i wont be able to put this in a profile.

YQe70h3.gif

Archived