yay DPS Meters!!!

Gizakio

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NoMoreBnS said:

It doesn't matter to have DPS metter or not because folks already seeking their party member with ads like "Look for members with 440+ AP for X dungeon" OR "This is not a carying party you mkust have 440+ AP to join..."

Dude, the PVE content is so hard, don't you know?  You need 440 AP to do BSH 6-man or else you're getting carried.  And no Assassins.

Only piece missing is the DPS meter so the BIS dweebs can make fun of eachother.

I'll never understand PVE elitists.  It's one thing to be an elitist about PVP in this game- it's great, challenging and based on skill.  PVE is a joke in this game.  It's fine if it's a joke- just have fun with it and play the game.  It's an MMO, have some kind of experience with new people.  But no, they have to be hardcore and just grind shit out ASAP on the road to nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Hamletswords said:

Dude, the PVE content is so hard, don't you know?  You need 440 AP to do BSH 6-man or else you're getting carried.  And no Assassins.

Only piece missing is the DPS meter so the BIS dweebs can make fun of eachother.

I'll never understand PVE elitists.  It's one thing to be an elitist about PVP in this game- it's great, challenging and based on skill.  PVE is a joke in this game.  It's fine if it's a joke- just have fun with it and play the game.  It's an MMO, have some kind of experience with new people.  But no, they have to be hardcore and just grind shit out ASAP on the road to nowhere.

Did you fail to understand my statement? I meant I don't give a shit nor I'm gonna care about DPS metter.

17 minutes ago, Enhance said:

To begin with, those are nothing but speculations. "If you do that, it'll totally go that way, because that's what I fear would happen". "Out the window" is a dramatization as well.

It's no secret that everyone's goal is to beat the boss, and unless that is accomplished it doesn't matter how much damage you dealt. The above only applies to "public" DPS showing how much of a boss's hp was done in by you - totally not what I, or other people asking for "dps meters" usually mean. Plus I believe you're really exaggerating how much of a weight that this instrument will have.

I understand your concern if they added things like highest DPS in dungeon getting all the loot/higher loot, or a DPS championship with a ladder like PVP one. I feel like those could go horribly wrong with people competing for higher DPS. With just an optional personal indicator, all it does is let you test things out easier instead of number-crunching manually. And as a mostly DPS class, the only person I want to compete in DPS against is myself in different skill builds.

We do already have quite a lot of - as they say - "toxic" - community members whose only goal in game is to show how superior they are, and whose main priority is find an excuse for themselves when party fails. They won't go anywhere, and they'll stay whether or not we have a DPS meter.

I doubt there are many people who are only "not toxic" right now because they have no DPS to channel their toxins through. And look at the game - PVP plays major part in it, vast majority of people have done it, the rest know full well about it. The concept and importance of "CC" and "iframes" along with DPS is, I'm sure, known by at least 99% of people in end-game dungeons. I highly doubt the change will have even nearly as bad an effect on the community as it is right now - I even believe the opposite.

What I'm describing to you isn't really speculation, it's years of playing world of warcraft in public groups.  Everything I'm saying here is just recounting exactly what I've experienced. 

The truth is that we do have a lot of toxic players in this game, and they are muted and, to some degree, kept in line by the fact that there is nothing yet in the game to strictly reinforce their bad habits.  Once damage becomes the only thing you can measure it's going to become the only thing that matters.  If there's a metric and a ranking system the top ranked guy was playing well and the bottom ranked guy is the reason the team wiped.  People are single-minded: DPS charts are a simplistic way to assign blame and ascertain who was being effective; the fact that they're completely devoid of context won't matter to dumb people in public groups. 

When toxic people don't think they have the answer to why something failed they're not prone to make a scene; they may even actually think before jumping to conclusions.  Just watch what happens when a team wipes and some poor Summoner or BM is trailing on the meter by a good margin.  The toxicity that follows will make anything you've currently experienced in the game feel like people holding hands and singing. 

TBH, I'd rather them make a threat meter instead. I forgot what game it was that I was playing that had this, but it was very useful. To be able to tell when to slow your deeps so tank can actually keep aggro rather than having some FM steal aggro and run around the map and getting the "You cannot use this skill right now" system message.

the only people who don't like dps meters are the people who can't do well on dps meters, D: of course a good fight is dynamic and there's a lot more going on than just dps, thats like just comparing kill counts in league or asking why a tank is doing less damage but the simple solution is to just not play with peoplewho are bad and refuse to improve  o_o

13 minutes ago, Goji said:

When toxic people don't think they have the answer to why something failed they're not prone to make a scene; they may even actually think before jumping to conclusions.  Just watch what happens when a team wipes and some poor Summoner or BM is trailing on the meter by a good margin.  The toxicity that follows will make anything you've currently experienced in the game feel like people holding hands and singing. 

That's not always the case - in fact, from what I experienced, "that" kind of people will make an excuse, whatever it is, however far-fetched, why it wasn't their fault that the party failed. Right now it can be AP, weapon, weapon gems, crit, later DPS will add to that, but the people stay the same - the same people that you already have to avoid, and the same people everyone except themselves and their likes considers morons already anyway.

1 minute ago, Pesto said:

the only people who don't like dps meters are the people who can't do well on dps meters, D: of course a good fight is dynamic and there's a lot more going on than just dps, thats like just comparing kill counts in league or asking why a tank is doing less damage but the simple solution is to just not play with peoplewho are bad and refuse to improve  o_o

Oh thanks for mentioning a MOBA. I feel like DPS meter is quite akin to CS in MOBAs like Dota or LoL - it may not be public, and it's expected that support characters do not have 100 lasthits on 3 minutes, but it's a good self-check. These aren't public during the game either, and that saves the BSing until after it doesn't matter.

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

That's not always the case - in fact, from what I experienced, "that" kind of people will make an excuse, whatever it is, however far-fetched, why it wasn't their fault that the party failed. Right now it can be AP, weapon, weapon gems, crit, later DPS will add to that, but the people stay the same - the same people that you already have to avoid, and the same people everyone except themselves and their likes considers morons already anyway.

Not saying there aren't necessarily snobs who scrutinize over gear now, but I think you're underestimating the number of toxic players who don't really understand the game well enough to feel confident causing a scene. 

The meter is low hanging fruit for them; it's a readily available reason for anyone who's just in a bad mood, doesn't feel like the group is moving fast enough, or wants to show how elite he is by making fun of whoever's at the bottom.  It doesn't even need to be a party wipe. if you're at the bottom even after a successful trash pull it's open season on you. 

I think it is a good thing in some ways , bad in others , if they use the tool to reduce the gap of dps between classes with same gear it will be good for everyone (players will have factual evidence of imbalance). But players obviously will not use only for themselves and some problems could happen, being a ping reliant game lag has impact on dps even with an optimal rotation ...

A public damage meter is a nice idea in my opinion. More tools to the players. In a friendly environment, your friends can help you improve your DPS if your class is meant for that. If you are support, you shouldn't be caring that much about your dps anyway. If someone acts elitist towards you and you don't like it, you just block him and don't play with him again. But this usually happens in PUGs. End game shouldn't be even tried in a PUG. You are more likely to get annoyed anyway. Clan and friends should be the only way to do end game but I'm derailing the subject here.

As for elitists. Gaming isn't young anymore. Elitism and toxicity in online gaming is bound to happen in every game. Humanity is bound to evil and chaos if you didn't know. That's why we work harder to be good than to be bad. It's 2016, people. We all should already have ways to deal with these kinds of people we will ALWAYS find in online gaming. There's no avoiding elitists and toxics. They will be there and if you get angry they will be there longer than you, and enjoy the game their way much more than you, unless you learn to cope with it.

As for the other things, I like the options to race and gender changes. It adds to the customization of the game.

I've played one MMO that had a DPS meter. It wasn't an official one, but it was indirectly supported via modding (modding wasn't illegal for that game, and almost everyone used that DPS meter anyway). It created more drama than anything else, really. Sure, it DOES allow you to sort of constantly try to improve your own DPS by knowing how much actual DPS you're doing. But that's fine in an isolated, solo environment, or with people you know very well in real life (maybe, even then it doesn't serve much purpose for THEM). The problem is obviously coming in the form of external judgement. The other [stranger] players will only judge your DPS, they don't give a rat's ass if you happen to be a real nice person in real life, they don't know you, all they know is your DPS. In that MMO I played, that DPS Meter WAS used as a 'gold standard' even within guilds to determine who could come to a raid dungeon, and who couldn't. I am NOT joking. I've seen people leaving guilds because of that. The problem is when a DPS meter is out, people don't GIVE TIME to others to catch up and gear up. It's as if you already HAD to be geared when the meter gets out. If you don't have the gear and need to upgrade your stuff, but people want 'x', 'y' and 'z' amount of DPS then just too bad but you're not gonna be part of the run. Maybe the next run then? Cross your fingers.

Nope, it will NOT end well for the majority, and indeed, mostly the elitists will benefit from it, and love it.

I'm not an elitist. heck, I don't even have end game gear. I'm actually a top ranked noob who can play many 100s of hours but still get stuck at starter level. I shouldn't even be gaming at all but here I am. Yet I know that as I explained above, people at this age knows that toxic people exist and we should already have ways to deal with them instead of just getting angry and let them have their way. It's clear that game companies can't do a thing about elitists. It's up to the community to form ways to deal with this problem, and teach newcomers about how to handle them.

If you have to leave a clan because they are elitists, then they don't deserve you. Pair up with people more to your skills and tastes. Leave elitists with other elitists so they can rage all they want among themselves, while the rest use the tools given in helpful and constructive ways. As for the tool itself, I would love it if someone devised a way to make something to help supporters instead of just the DPS people. But so far I doubt anyone has ever made a support meter that counts your heals or blocked/evaded damage or threat generation and upkeep for tanks. So for now we are stuck with only a dps meter.

Oh look at the revolt already and it hasnt even been implemented yet.  Sounds to me like a bunch of people scared that they cant get secretly carried anymore.  Or troll running in with training weapon into end game dungeons cos they'll stick out like a sore thumb.  Get real people, all you whiners care about is getting free carries by your so called hated "elitists".  If you hate them so much just run with your casual groups that probably takes 2hrs to clear a blue dungeon.

I'm not a pro or in end game gear but all i see is those people who have fallen behind so much or play 1hr per day still in infernal gear queuing up for end game dungeons expecting to be carried because "its fun".  Oh its so much effort to gear up and learn your class? why are you even playing an MMO.  If you want to chat then join a chat website, if you wanna play solo then there are consoles and offline/solo games.  MMORRPG's affect all other people you play with so dont be a douche and expect to get carried and pretend that it's perfectly fine. It's fine if you are a friend, its not fine if you expect randoms to carry you, especially if you dont ask first.

• 2 months later...

DPS meter is a great news, for the personal improvement first, but also for random ppl dungeons.

It will switch the AP requirement to actual contribution requirement, which is, a good thing ? for all the -not enough AP but good skills players- to get into endgame dungeons, and bad for the -lol look my skorpio weap but idk what to do with it so carry me pls- players. who'll get spotted and dont want that.

You'll have to learn to play your char instead of just gearing it ? which is good even for you ?

PVE content dont need crazy dps, but at least Something decent, if u do less damage on 600 ap than another player on 500, u will know u do Something wrong and will try to do better am i right ? dont put all fault on the lag/server, there is a limit to that, and many ppl use that excuse for no reason.

It wont put a discrimination to classes, all classes can do good dps, the difference is not relevent for the actual game content.

Also dont forget it will do that mostly for inter-server dungeon, ppl in guild will still play with their friends no matter what.

So who is rly bitching about this ?

On 3/16/2016 at 9:46 AM, VRock said:

DPS meter will be good to BW..too bad we need party to be able to use it.

Why would you need a DPS meter for BW? Any number of players can zerg it as long as the channel's got room. What matters is if it's being tanked and nobody is rooting/taunting it.

This is the problem with our society today. It is when everyone is getting their *cricket* hurts over everything. Expecting freebee, spoon feeding, and babysitting.

Get real people! Even though, I'm not saying a game is a job. But the competitive spirit/mentality should be the same. No one ever says, "Life is a straight path, up or down, left or right." Either you make it or u break it. U learn from mistakes, if you failed or not good at something. Get good! Practice make perfect!

If you are too worried about elitism, then play better or play with someone else! If I am putting 100% effort into the group, while I'm doing One mil damage in 5 minutes, and you are only doing 100k damage in same amount of time. How is that fair for me or for everyone else who also put 100% effort? Do you expect me to carry you too? Imagine in a manufacturing job. As a supervisor,  if one employee is making 1,000 items within 8 hours shift, while another person only making 100 items within 8 hours shift. How would you feel about that?

DPS meter is just a test to show how well you perform, what works and what doesn't. If you don't do well, then maybe you have a problem, try to come up with something to fix your mistakes. Like I said, practice practice practice. No one is born being the greatest.

Quit your *cricket* hurting mentality and work harder!

P.S. Due to the fact that there are so many pu**ies on earth, humanity is failing. That's why the application lines for One-way trip to Mars  is too damn full. Cuz F**k humans! That's why.

Archived