Laptop Suggestions

Hey guys how's it going? So i'll be buying a new laptop within the next 2 days(coming from someone who's been rocking a Dell Inspirion 1720, i'm well overdue a new one)

So originally I was thinking of buying an Alienware 17. It would cost me around 1600 which isn't too bad. But it may be a bit overkill considering the only game i'll be playing is B&S. So Im going to give myself limitations. Im setting my budget at 1k USD ($1,100 max). Does anyone have any suggestions on a laptop I'd be able to get on that budget that would run this game decently? Thanks in advanced.

Lenovo Y700 IS5K (Ideapad)

Geforce 960m

80FPS

Medium to High Settings (Shadows are useless but you can crank them up to 4 and still hit 80FPS)

$1,000

You're not going to find much better for under a grand. There is an HP (Starwars branded) laptop at Bestbuy for $850.. but it's HP.. may as well be made my Kellogs, or Apple. Junk lol.

Well i got an overpriced one that can make me toast and bread at will. For shizzle doe i have an AW18 with m290x crossfires and it does a good job with bns but all u need is a good cpu and decent card and u should be fine

I have cousin with G751.She play bns too and on her laptop she get maximum 70 degree cels after long playing and only in zergy spots like BW.For laptop with such specs 70-75 in mad zerg fest is amazing.Plus she have the old version,the new has even better cooling.

And Alien serie is shit from some time already.Not as specs but cooling.If you want to keep your coffe hot,make omlette or something,sure get one yourself.Just don't cry if it start to shutdown often.Because thats what you gonna get.

1 minute ago, KrystalHazard said:

70 degrees celsius? O_O

Yikes!

That's way too hot for a lappy!

(For us 'mericans that's 158 degrees fahrenheit)

It's not for gaming laptop.I guess you never had one.Because normal laptop on max details in bns will not just have low fps,but expect it to be above 80 cels all the time.Or shut down often like Alien does.

If we talk about the degree without gaming,well it is around 45 I belive.Note this is laptop with 6700HQ and 980M video...

2 minutes ago, TheWolfMane said:

Bump. current B udget is 1250 Max im willing to spend. any other answeres?

Not trying to judge, but do you have any particular reason you want a gaming laptop? With that budget you could build a high-end gaming PC.

20 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Not trying to judge, but do you have any particular reason you want a gaming laptop? With that budget you could build a high-end gaming PC.

I travel quite a bit for business and most of my work is actually done on my PC. I also trade Forex (Foreign Exchange) so a laptop for on the go trading and gaming that can handle what I want to do is what i'm looking for. Unfortunately I'm not well versed with computers/laptops so I rather ask for assistance from others who know more than me on the topic. 

Gaming laptop user here. The only good suggestions when it comes to gaming is an Alienwere and the ROG series from Asus. The thing about this 2 is the weight.

My g74sx is a nightmare to carry in my backpack. Even harder to find the right backpack for it. Anyway on the specs:

Like i said, i have an older Asus G74sx and got a ssd for it. I can tell, the game runs pretty smooth considering is just a laptop. 

Currently the asus i have its dirt cheap(used to be 1k+ when i bought it 4 years ago xD).

You can get a better one for 1.000$ from the looks of it. Take this for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232770&ignorebbr=1 

or if you want to invest a bit more, with 1251$ you can have 4gb on your graphic card and an ssd with the 1TB hd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232867&ignorebbr=1

Pretty sure you can find them cheaper, i only used newegg because i know this is rather popular among US people. (right?)

The only problems i had with the laptop is:

1 button from the mouse looks in a pretty bad shape (it had a rubber above the button and i had to remove it because it was getting stuck)

Not using it, so other than how it looks without it, i don't really care..

The way the secondary hdd gets connected is annoying as F*** , some paper thingy with a small pin (i broke mine before i could even use it)

Pay attention if you plan on buying one and you won't have any problems.

The back of the laptop screen . Its made out of rubber or something like that and over time its starting to get sticky and looks like chewing gum is all over it...Looks horrible. (from what i've seen they stop using this)

The fan...it started to make noise after 2 years and i couldn't find a replacement on any official stores (turned my head to ebay and bought a 9$ one and runs alright )

Also, it is really hard to change the fan, you have to remove EVERYTHING to reach it, like most important parts.

The only easy parts to change/add is the battery, hdd and ram memory

Heating problems, not many even with a half broken fan but you have to open and clean it pretty often (every 2 3 months)

I'm mostly talking about g74sx here, not sure what changed but even with this problems i still suggest this as a good gaming laptop, if you travel a lot ... ugh... maybe you're better with a normal one, unless you're hitting the gym unlike me and my skinny back bones... If you don't travel, buy a normal pc xD

EDIT: I read the post above and if you have to travel and you want to look for a gaming laptop. ROG laptops are the way to go.

If you take a 17.4 version you will have to really think about the backpack you gonna use for it. Most of the 17.4 backpacks don't work because Rog series has that filter behind it, making it even bigger. I got one from "Everki" and looks decent but its just a bit too small, i have to shove it in there. Also you have to go for the normal backpacks not the one on 1 shoulder(not sure how to call it) because they are really heavy...

Note: You got plenty of versions to choose from. I can help you more on that if you like. 

20 minutes ago, Rey said:

Gaming laptop user here. The only good suggestions when it comes to gaming is an Alienwere and the ROG series from Asus. The thing about this 2 is the weight.

My g74sx is a nightmare to carry in my backpack. Even harder to find the right backpack for it. Anyway on the specs:

Like i said, i have an older Asus G74sx and got a ssd for it. I can tell, the game runs pretty smooth considering is just a laptop. 

Currently the asus i have its dirt cheap(used to be 1k+ when i bought it 4 years ago xD).

You can get a better one for 1.000$ from the looks of it. Take this for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232770&ignorebbr=1 

or if you want to invest a bit more, with 1251$ you can have 4gb on your graphic card and an ssd with the 1TB hd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232867&ignorebbr=1

Pretty sure you can find them cheaper, i only used newegg because i know this is rather popular among US people. (right?)

The only problems i had with the laptop is:

1 button from the mouse looks in a pretty bad shape (it had a rubber above the button and i had to remove it because it was getting stuck)

Not using it, so other than how it looks without it, i don't really care..

The way the secondary hdd gets connected is annoying as F*** , some paper thingy with a small pin (i broke mine before i could even use it)

Pay attention if you plan on buying one and you won't have any problems.

The back of the laptop screen . Its made out of rubber or something like that and over time its starting to get sticky and looks like chewing gum is all over it...Looks horrible. (from what i've seen they stop using this)

The fan...it started to make noise after 2 years and i couldn't find a replacement on any official stores (turned my head to ebay and bought a 9$ one and runs alright )

Also, it is really hard to change the fan, you have to remove EVERYTHING to reach it, like most important parts.

The only easy parts to change/add is the battery, hdd and ram memory

Heating problems, not many even with a half broken fan but you have to open and clean it pretty often (every 2 3 months)

I'm mostly talking about g74sx here, not sure what changed but even with this problems i still suggest this as a good gaming laptop, if you travel a lot ... ugh... maybe you're better with a normal one, unless you're hitting the gym unlike me and my skinny back bones... If you don't travel, buy a normal pc xD

EDIT: I read the post above and if you have to travel and you want to look for a gaming laptop. ROG laptops are the way to go.

If you take a 17.4 version you will have to really think about the backpack you gonna use for it. Most of the 17.4 backpacks don't work because Rog series has that filter behind it, making it even bigger. I got one from "Everki" and looks decent but its just a bit too small, i have to shove it in there. Also you have to go for the normal backpacks not the one on 1 shoulder(not sure how to call it) because they are really heavy...

Note: You got plenty of versions to choose from. I can help you more on that if you like. 

Do you have a skype so I can talk to you more on this? 

1 minute ago, Rey said:

Can't disagree with this...Not sure how good alienware are, just know they are up there on the gaming laptop list.

Alienware is good, BUT you pay a lot more for the brand than anything. A $1600 Alienware vs $1600 Asus ROG will get you very different laptops. Basically, you get less for more with Alienware.

On 3/15/2016 at 6:59 PM, Tupan said:

It's not for gaming laptop.I guess you never had one.Because normal laptop on max details in bns will not just have low fps,but expect it to be above 80 cels all the time.Or shut down often like Alien does.

If we talk about the degree without gaming,well it is around 45 I belive.Note this is laptop with 6700HQ and 980M video...

45 is okay. 80 is not. Anything over 60 for extended periods is going to reduce the lifespan of your PC. My strong advice to the OP is if you're going to invest that kind of money into a computer then spend a few dollars on a good cooling platform for the laptop. And for crying out loud blow the dust out of the heat sink on a regular basis!

Archived