KFM - a dying species

Renesmee

All right, maybe not dying, but they're a rare sight on my server. 

I've been keeping an eye out for KFMs and I see maybe....3 a day (Dochun server). (This is throughout hours of playing.)

Every time I see one I stop to stare...and admire its beauty. 

Something wrong with the class? 

• 3 weeks later...

I usually see several hundred KFMs per day, being on Windrest.

With the latest boost to their fighting spirit, I doubt they will stay a rare sight. Also the more people get familiar with the game, the less daunting will the "complex" skills of the KFM seem.

There is always something to complain about, with any class (at least for people predisposed to complaining), but honestly KFM is a great class unless you are suffering from really bad latency. And I don't even mean PvP grade ping, as long as you are below 150 ms you can enjoy the class I think.

Maybe it's more that the game punishes being melee vs ranged, a bit - you really have to know your defense in Silverfrost or you are mince meat. So much more relaxed to be a summoner or warlock... XD

After how much assassins got buffed and knowing that assassin is the most popular and fotm class and even before patch it being a complete counter to KFM... I don't even wonder why KFM is one of the least played class atm. I feel like I should just alt+tab and just go surf the web when I get sin as opponent. There's literally nothing I can do against an assassin with a bit of brain.

I played KFM once until level 15. I really liked the class, but I thought I sucked at it, because I was always low on HP while questing... So I deleted it. Now I'm thinking about giving it a second try. Everytime I see one on my FM I always admire them. xD I love my FM, but I'm in the need for an alt. Warlock is too boring. :S

Always I think the best reason to go for any class in B&S is what playstyle you like. If you like the feel of the class, you will put in more effort to learn the tricks and skills and have more success and rewarding feeling in return. Eventually I would like to explore all the classes (what a wish - where is that much time?? :P ) but for now I love my KFM.

The playstyle is that you go fearlessly close to any opponent, then dodge like a shadow between his hits, always in control - until you counter him, exploit the gap in their defense, you stun them, surprise them, lock them in helpless combination of a flurry of hits, turning their own body against them by paralyzing their pressure points, until they are no more.

Ahem.

Something like that. ^_^#

If that image appeals to you, you might be a good candidate for KFM. If you would prefer to be an invincible behemoth, a mountain, a rolling unstoppable boulder that just impacts on your opponent, throws them around like a ragdoll, takes their hits as if he cannot be bothered to care and then crushes them in a hurricane of slashes and smashes - then the Destroyer is for you. ;)

And so on.

I queued Yeti 3 times yesterday on my KFM. Every run had 2 other KFMs,at least one assassin, and at least one destroyer. If anything, I'd say those are the flavor of the month classes right now (which makes sense if you look at the silverfrost patch notes).

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:43 PM, Yeon said:

I played KFM once until level 15. I really liked the class, but I thought I sucked at it, because I was always low on HP while questing... So I deleted it. Now I'm thinking about giving it a second try. Everytime I see one on my FM I always admire them. xD I love my FM, but I'm in the need for an alt. Warlock is too boring. :S

class is very difficult, so it's no wonder you felt you sucked at it. at low lvl it's a bit problematic without skill points and lacks AoE(you start specing with Tiger Strike AoE), and you need to use block often, and use ss/qq/ee ofc. but later when you start getting skill points and you learn the class a bit it get's better. if you spec your counter you absorb 50% hp of the dmg you'd receive(if you block a boss that do lot of dmg, you'll absorb lots of hp), hp drain from LMB and Tiger Strike etc etc

I wanted to like the class so much, but it was such a pain to use, I managed to get one to 44 and finished the Act 3 story before deciding that I didn't want to bother with it again. Counter isn't really that great a defense, Grapple is okay early on, but you never want to use it in a group of mobs, and of course once harder stuff like Bokgon Hideout's Samja and Tomb of Exiles came u[, I just felt useless or underpowered at best.

Which is a shame, cause the class looks really cool and fun to play.

Well, I'm fine with my KFM, a I have to be honest, its handling is a bit complicated and more when they are much enemies that attack you and more if your HP is very little, but the truth is very interesting character, you just have to know when utilziar combos and also block.

23 hours ago, Ginki said:

if you spec your counter you absorb 50% hp of the dmg you'd receive(if you block a boss that do lot of dmg, you'll absorb lots of hp),

Just for correctness, you absorb 50% of the damage your counter does, which is independent of the enemy's attack and instead depends on your own weapon and character stats.

Kung Fu masters can have very different skill set ups, and not every thing is suitable for every situation. Experienced KFM players respec their skills a lot, sometimes within the same combat series or dungeon. The result is that if you do not know the game and the KFM skill options well, you can be unlucky and chose skill options that perform badly. Hence I guess the difficulty rating. Overall, the skills are not weaker or less effective for any kind of content, so do not let that deter you. It's just a more learning intensive class for beginners. ^_^

Archived