Forums

Everything is just a grind now.

UnitedStrafes

3 minutes ago, Rottmer said:

Different design philosophies and communities. It would help if they introduced a way to kick AFK players, but NC Soft West believes that it would just be abused by players (and they have a point, just look at master looting before it was changed). It also doesn't help that NC Soft West doesn't even have a development team; they are a skeleton crew. 

Anyway, all MMORPGs are going to have a grind. Brand X already made solid points about it. You enjoyed the grind in different games. Korean MMORPGs are notorious for this level of grind (just look at RO back in the day). But some people enjoy that type of grind. Arena is a totally different story. I agree that fighting destroyer bots is not fun. Its easy wins, but because you didn't really have to put much effort into getting there, it gives you a false sense of skill. 

I agree. having played alot of 'raw' asian games, played Tera KR, BnS TW/CN and may many more the player mind sets are completely different, these games which were designed and developed for Korean or Asian players all suffer from these problems when brought to the west,  

I live in the UK and I'm sorry but from my own years of experience playing MMORPG's in both the east and the west, there is always a high amount of unforeseen exploits or bugs found in the very same games when brought over here that were never really known or bothered about over in KR, because the western mindset seems to be find a way through a game doing as little as possible and spending hours finding ways around things instead of just playing as the game was obviously designed to be played 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I can't see where you're coming from, but I believe this complaint is part of the reason Blade and Soul had a delayed Western release. NCSoft just didn't know how the audience over here would handle the Korean level of grinding. I guess you just have to pick your battles, and it seems like this one isn't worth your time. Then again, you could limit the amount of time you play daily. It's not like you have to do ALL of those things on a daily basis.

5 minutes ago, Aluvis said:

Not that I can't see where you're coming from, but I believe this complaint is part of the reason Blade and Soul had a delayed Western release. NCSoft just didn't know how the audience over here would handle the Korean level of grinding. I guess you just have to pick your battles, and it seems like this one isn't worth your time. Then again, you could limit the amount of time you play daily. It's not like you have to do ALL of those things on a daily basis.

No those are simply the things available for me TO do. I have a life there's no way I could do all of them lol. I would have time for maybe 1/2 of ONE of them. Maybe time on a Saturday to do ONE of them.

3 minutes ago, UnitedStrafes said:

No those are simply the things available for me TO do. I have a life there's no way I could do all of them lol. I would have time for maybe 1/2 of ONE of them. Maybe time on a Saturday to do ONE of them.

So you're saying that you only have about a hour of free time on even a Saturday? How the hell do you expect to play any MMO with that kind of time-restraint? Games like WoW would absolutely kick your ass.

35 minutes ago, UnitedStrafes said:

Then you haven't played either, AFKs would get kicked within a minute, Star Wars warzone would be different because noobs don't even know how to kick the AFKs, but any decent group you'll get kicked right away because you're hiding somewhere, if you get killed by an enemy player you get returned to the spawn where you're auto kicked after 60 seconds if you don't leave.

So that's options in both games BnS has ZERO options except "deal with it".

You're right.  I just played PuG ones.  Get in and go :p

Clearly mmorpg's are not the kind of game for you. and unless you have played maplestory  from 2007 to 2011, you have no idea what real grinding is . so stop complaining lol. this is probably why bns took so long to release in north america in the first place.  they probably knew us americans cant do anything except complain and complain about grinding.. I personaly love grinding 

This is exactly why it took BnS so long. Every Korean MMORPG is a Grind Fest. All Korean MMORPGs are meant to make you struggle suffer and despair as you try to reach the top and become the best. This game more so due to the fact that Your weapon levels with you. Your weapon is a symbol of your creed and your dedication. How much work you put into it. Aion, you have to grind AP and exchange for BP and depending on the amount of BP will determine what Officer rank you will get then you have to farm more AP and Medals (oh god the medals!) to get more gear to do more pvp to get more AP to get more BP to get more gear. It just keeps going and going. Then you have to farm equipment fodder to dismantle for stones to make an attempt at Enchanting the gear (if you fail you lose 1 enchant) Then you have to farm Mana stones and the success rate is super duper deluxe RNG Heavy that it will make you want to tear your eyes out so you dont have to watch how much money you throw at the cash shop to have guaranteed mana socketing. At least the Crafting was simple as all hell, get recipie, level your crafting skill, craft Item done....... this Crafting stuff here on B&S (if you can even call it crafting..) is a joke. 

Pros B&S:
Super Fun PVP
Great Combat
Beautiful Visuals (even for an Unreal 3 Engine Game)

Cons B&S
Repetitive as Hell
Content is very Limited.
RNG Boxes Make me want to kick Lyn Babies
Bots, Bots everywhere. (we need a B&S Block Ops Squad)

Crafting was created by someone who hates puppies.

Female Lyn have no boobs.

The problem with BnS as of now is not the grind itself, but the fact that the grind is boring.

Leave OP's case, since clearly he/she enjoys PvP.

I, on the other hand, equally enjoy PvP and PvE and I myself feel bored by this game. It has not even been 2 months and already I am bored.

There are few major problems with this version of BnS for now -

• Lack of diversity - You do the same missions every single day. Sometimes, you need to run Blue dungeons over and over for Moonwater Tears. That was a major turnoff for me.

• Lack of proper rewards - You can spend 2 hours in Nightshade when it is not the peak time and all you get is 3 Gold(approx.). Meanwhile, each transformation take 13-20 gold. Now I wouldn't have complained it at least the was diversity in the missions. But doing the 24-man dungeons every single day is actually very boring.

• Intertwined PvP and PvE - Yes, I am referring to Soulstones. Now here is the problem - I do not mind doing PvP arena for Soulstones, but I believe everyone can understand how hard and rough it can be with 300-350ms latency. This game does not provide latency compensation and therefore, someone like I, can not enjoy the PvP. As a matter of fact, even in PvE, my attacks are 3X slower than some of the youtube videos I saw(mainly Jaesung's). And Soulstones are the most important material one needs to upgrade equipment in higher levels. Since arena is not an option for me, even if I go for Misty Woods faction quests, that would give me 20 Soulstones a day (since most of the times, Angler's Watch Server do not do BW). And we need like 850 Soulstones to go to all Pirate. And therefore, if you decide to buy Soulstones, again, you need Gold and Gold income is already scarce.

• Bots and Spammers  - The biggest problem of this game and it will result in the fall of BnS west. I can understand that some aspects of an F2P MMORPG are bound to have bots. But in case of BnS, every single aspect has bot invasion - Dungeons, Field Boss, Arena, OWPvP, Chat, Mail, Whisper, Friend Requests, Forums.  When every aspect of a game has bots and spammers, there is something very wrong. Yes, I get it, NCSoft is working on a solution, which will be a long-term solution. But it is the most common business practice to have a short-term solution while you are working on a long-term solution. This game does not have that.

3 minutes ago, NN13 said:

The problem with BnS as of now is not the grind itself, but the fact that the grind is boring.

I, on the other hand, equally enjoy PvP and PvE and I myself feel bored by this game. It has not even been 2 months and already I am bored.

• Lack of diversity - You do the same missions every single day. Sometimes, you need to run Blue dungeons over and over for Moonwater Tears. That was a major turnoff for me.

• Lack of proper rewards - You can spend 2 hours in Nightshade when it is not the peak time and all you get is 3 Gold(approx.). Meanwhile, each transformation take 13-20 gold. Now I wouldn't have complained it at least the was diversity in the missions. But doing the 24-man dungeons every single day is actually very boring.

• Intertwined PvP and PvE - Yes, I am referring to Soulstones. Now here is the problem - I do not mind doing PvP arena for Soulstones, but I believe everyone can understand how hard and rough it can be with 300-350ms latency. This game does not provide latency compensation and therefore, someone like I, can not enjoy the PvP. As a matter of fact, even in PvE, my attacks are 3X slower than some of the youtube videos I saw(mainly Jaesung's). And Soulstones are the most important material one needs to upgrade equipment in higher levels. Since arena is not an option for me, even if I go for Misty Woods faction quests, that would give me 20 Soulstones a day (since most of the times, Angler's Watch Server do not do BW). And we need like 850 Soulstones to go to all Pirate. And therefore, if you decide to buy Soulstones, again, you need Gold and Gold income is already scarce.

• Bots and Spammers  - The biggest problem of this game and it will result in the fall of BnS west. I can understand that some aspects of an F2P MMORPG are bound to have bots. But in case of BnS, every single aspect has bot invasion - Dungeons, Field Boss, Arena, OWPvP, Chat, Mail, Whisper, Friend Requests, Forums.  When every aspect of a game has bots and spammers, there is something very wrong. Yes, I get it, NCSoft is working on a solution, which will be a long-term solution. But it is the most common business practice to have a short-term solution while you are working on a long-term solution. This game does not have that.

To be fair, there really isn't much of a "short-term solution" for bots that I can think of. Unlike pure spammers, they infiltrate into end-game content. All we can do is just report them :/

21 minutes ago, NN13 said:

I disagree with all of those except for the bot spammers..you do the same daily quest every day on most mmorpg's thats why its called a "(Daily Quest").. Lack of proper rewards..have you done the daily quests on Tera?.The soulstone problem is agreeable. but i manage. If your not in a rush to upgrade your gear then there are no problems with that. I would like a better way to get soulstones but it doesnt affect me much. bots and spammers are annoying as hell but i dont let somthing like that ruin my game experience.

11 minutes ago, Aluvis said:

To be fair, there really isn't much of a "short-term solution" for bots that I can think of. Unlike pure spammers, they infiltrate into end-game content. All we can do is just report them :/

• For now, remove the reasons for Bots in Arena - Soulstones from Arena. That will minimize bot invasion since the profits will be cut.
  • Captcha solving before each and every arena match. It might be a little inconvenient for players, but they will face less bots.
  • Auto-kick AFKers from Dungeons. No need for Vote-kick if NCSoft thinks it will be abused, but an auto-kick will help. If you do not deal any damage for 2 minutes, you are kicked.
  • Apparently, NCSoft already have a mechanism to stop AFKers. Field Bosses need you to deal a percentage of damage to get rewards. So, why not implement them in Dungeons? A player gets reward chest and the ability to bid in Auction only if he/she/ 'it' dealt enough damage. Simple.
  • Design a kick-bot for chat. Anything remotely similar to dollar,$,pound,sterling, etc. will kick you from chat until you log out and log back in. Something similar to what we have in Warframe. If you say WTS or WTB in any chat except trade chat, you get auto-kicked until you re-login.
  • Fix the Block list so that it actually blocks friend request and whispers(I mean the sound) of those blocked.
6 minutes ago, plasticmemories said:

I disagree with all of those except for the bot spammers..you do the same daily quest every day on most mmorpg's thats why its called a "(Daily Quest").. Lack of proper rewards..have you done the daily quests on Tera?.The soulstone problem is agreeable. but i manage. If your not in a rush to upgrade your gear then there are no problems with that. I would like a better way to get soulstones but it doesnt affect me much. bots and spammers are annoying as hell but i dont let somthing like that ruin my game experience.

Well, it is entirely your opinion and I respect that.

One thing I want to point out is - Just because other games have similar Daily Quests does not make it good or interesting. If I played Tera, I probably would have complained there as well. Doing the same things everyday for a month or 2 is never fun.

Unfortunately, in my area, Tera is published by Gameforge and not Enmasse and given the reputation of gameforge, I avoided it.

I'm right there with you OP.  I finally just got to where I can barely solo brightstone and make a little money on my summoner, so I might do that a few times a day.  I'd rather gamble on that than deal with pvp bots and morons in group content.  I think this game is finally out of my system for a bit.

6 hours ago, UnitedStrafes said:

Was about to log in and play when I realized everything I can think of to do is just a huge grind.

Start getting my BM leveled, grind after leveling 2 toons already.

Do dailies on my main, grind pvp bots for pvp dailies, AFKs and bots in the big 4, another Blackram/Bloodshade 24 man ugh, but at least that has remained pretty much bot free.

Run Ruins again and again for my Brightstone gauntlet needed for my KMF upgrade. Open box after box after box.

Grind Misty Woods crimson base for my starter soul shield needed on my Warlock.

Just ugh, think I'll just go play something that doesn't seem like a second job that I'm paying for.

From reading this thread, it seems you are awefully hard trying to convince us how Swtor isnt a grind as opposed to BnS is a grind.

I came from Swtor right before this game launched, did the 50-60 to catch up on the content i missed from when i quit at release at 50, Sith Juggernauth and Bounty Hunter both at max level and max gear back then, maybe you remember but each and every mob started with a stun-lock back then, making it tedious to level a melee class, you had just your diffrent compagnions so you had to level with mostly the healer back then, Bounty Hunter consisted of just mashing 1 button as opposed to doing a orchestra appearance on the Sith at the keyboard.

The content was really shallow at lvl 50, you had the open world map where opponents just farmed the other side without actually engaging in battle, you had warzones with Afk'ers in it and you had a few flashpoints and a smidge of raids, you got on, do some pvp and raid ......get on do some pvp and raid, do your dailies and get off again, i dont see the diffrence....

Back then you had todo all the crappy side-quests to get to 50, after leveling 2 chars to 50, i was done, the combat is basic MMO combat with global cooldows and is just all about dealing damage and ganging up on people.

I enjoyed the 50-60 storyline, but i skipped everything else, because it was booooring, the 60-65 is looking neat with the episodes, but in BnS i ended up with 4 level 45 chars because i wanted to know how they ticked in pvp.

In the end each and every MMO is just the same old, you do an activity over and over it doesnt matter if you like it or not, but we are all Hamsters on a wheel, the one wheel is designed to look like a Warzone Wheel, the Others are Daily Wheels and we have 1 vs 1 Wheels, obviosly the Warzone Wheel is something you like and don't consider it a grind, for me i hate Warzone Wheels because its forced PVP, i prefer the old Ultima Online PVP that happened because you wanted the other guys stuff, that the guy quit because you ruined 1 year of his "work" didnt matter, sadly this pvp type is never coming back.

In the end all the current MMO's are the same, you are doing something you like over and over again. as opposed to old MMO's where you created your own content, albeit at the expense of other players.

Every MMORPG is a grind but others hides it better than others. The question is, do you prefer this kind of grind where you need grind even for gold, upgrade materials and such everyday from the same areas/dungeons, or a game that gives you rewards almost without any effort (WoD currently for example). 

I prefer this style, overall it feels alot more rewarding for me when I get very lucky with RNG or finally get that weapon upgrade. Or notice those 4man dungeon runs that used to be wipefests but with learning the mechanics properly and upgrading gear are becoming a breeze. If things are too easy or effortless to get, it bores me and makes me so lazy in the game. Soon I find myself not even logging in to the game anymore.

Sure I would like if BnS had a bit more content to do currently, but if new content is coming with regular pace, I can imagine staying with the game for a very long time. And it really could use some adjusting with the rewards on certain things to make them more appealing to do.

When you stop having fun, it's time to switch the game. Different people, different preferences.

I somehow have to agree.

I have a BM on 45...I can't really do pvp because BM gets only enough skill points at level 50. So now I started a summoner to collect some soulstones for my BM with in-between runs of Habours etc. 

However I realized one thing: Im going through the same dungeons all the time to collect Gold, Soulstones, Gear for even more gold and so on and so on. I have to be honest that Im quiet bored as well, only looking forward to PvP with my summoner but that was pretty much it. So far I didn't met many Bots I think.

I played Aion Tera and all the other mmorpgs and I think I know why many see a lot of grinding here as annoying. As I played Aion and Tera I was already expecting them to be grindy, not realizing how much when I played them and not being bothered by it. However, in BnS I was expecting more content and story than grinding hence, I realized the grinding even more in this one as I expected something different. 

Im currently quiet bored, trying to get my summoner up and hoping for decent PvP in the future. But my eyes keep wandering off to other games to see how those may are. The only things keeping me is the fighting style and graphics but who knows how long they will keep me in. What is awaiting us after the endless 24 man dungeon runs and mushin tower? More runs? I don't feel like going through the same dungeon a million times. I want to explore new places!

For now I will simply play my summoner, doing some pvp to gear my BM baby and in the end....waiting for level 50 release to maybe get some fun again. :)

Everyone talking as if they were the only players in the entire arena and all they faced ever were bots. I don't know what rating you were playing on where that happened but I personally sow a bot like once every blue moon at around higher gold rating. ^^"

As for AFKs or whatever in dungeons...aaaam...why are you playing with randoms? At all? Ever? I'm playing all the op dungeons with friends that I made in game since launch. I joined a clan. I can get into all the content I need to. Also you can get that 400ap or so that people shout for when they recruit for the purple dungeons and generally those people are there to do it and do it fast so you probably won't encounter afks there either.

As for the grind, dunno, for me at least the grind here has a bunch of fixed rewards. Soulstones and quest gold and stuff like that. In other games like Vindictus that I played for years. It could take you a year to start getting your end game items cause the raid boss is just refusing to drop you that one item you can sell for a bunch of gold and there is hardly anything else that is worth gold besides doing the raids. Also if you don't have time to play all day then you can always mix it up and do different things, Faction Daily, 24-man, Mushin, 4 man poh and bsh, 6 man laby, 1v1 pvp, 3v3 pvp.

And in the end of the day we are still getting rapid fire content to catch  us up to korea, I'm kind of assuming that all the dungeons we are doing right now will be about as important as Tomb of Exiles once level 50 hits and we'll have all new stuff to do. Plus, there are for example 6v6 battle grounds coming in the games future for those that didn't know.

You are playing an MMORPG. For most mmorpg's that stand a chance on the marked, there is some form of gear progression. Or other progression.

Generally progression costs time, because if it didnt people would be capped in under a weak and quit the game because they dont have anything left to do. So for most successfull mmorpgs there is a lot to do in endgame. And progression based content mostly is a grind. That's just how it is.. you are grinding something in every mmorpg, be it levels, one dungeon for a long time, or something else. The only difference basically is how enjoyable the grind is. And i personally dont dislike it here too much. Just my opinion tho.

Generally, if you dont feel like grinding mmorpgs might just not your game. Or at least this game might just not be your game. 

Every MMORPG needs some form of grind. Why? Just to keep people playing. If you will get everything quickly without grinding, you will be stuck with BiS and have no motivation to keep playing. What will you do with max gear? Play PvP? Actually B&S is designed so you can play PvP without grinding because there is stat normalization in arena, so you don`t rly need to upgrade your gear.

About gold income - have you guys seen what happened with NSH release? The prices of transformation stone before NSH release were nearly at 5g per stone. The NSH release increased the gold income, because there were much more dailies with decent money reward. At that moment the prices of transformation stone went up to over 6g per stone, because the amount of gold among players increased. This will be similar if you decided to increase gold income. The prices of upgrade material will just go up so then you will need to grind for them for the same time as now.

About soulstones - removing them from arena rewards will probably remove bots from arena, but that will also hurt people who only likes PvP, because that is their main income and they need at least some income so they will be able to buy hongmoon skill books. For PvE only players - you can get decent amount of soulstones from BW especialy from weekend boxes. I know this can be problem at some servers but that is something that many ppl warned about when they started to open more and more servers and ppl switched to empty server.

6 hours ago, NN13 said:

And this is the entire problem with this game right there. You do the same boring thing over and over for few rewards. Blackwyrm, for example, is about the stupidest exercise in wasting your time that I have ever seen in any game. Who in their right mind wants to spend half their night running in and out of an AOE every 20 seconds for a handful of soulstones? I suppose if you really want the costume that looks like it dropped off a psychotic bird rather than a dragon it may be worth it. I don't see how though.

This game is nothing more than a gold grind coupled with excruciating RNG drops on the very few things you do need. It's not a fun grind by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing fun about running the same unchallenging, unrewarding dungeons and the same 24 mans every day for a pittance of gold. I've already had one HUGE clan melt away under my feet and my current clan is shrinking every day.

People are emptying out of this game due to bots, bugs and boredom. Thing is, they're that less likely to even try another NCSOFT game in the future.

30 minutes ago, Piper said:

And this is the entire problem with this game right there. You do the same boring thing over and over for few rewards. Blackwyrm, for example, is about the stupidest exercise in wasting your time that I have ever seen in any game. Who in their right mind wants to spend half their night running in and out of an AOE every 20 seconds for a handful of soulstones? I suppose if you really want the costume that looks like it dropped off a psychotic bird rather than a dragon it may be worth it. I don't see how though.

This game is nothing more than a gold grind coupled with excruciating RNG drops on the very few things you do need. It's not a fun grind by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing fun about running the same unchallenging, unrewarding dungeons and the same 24 mans every day for a pittance of gold. I've already had one HUGE clan melt away under my feet and my current clan is shrinking every day.

People are emptying out of this game due to bots, bugs and boredom. Thing is, they're that less likely to even try another NCSOFT game in the future.

Looks like we found the Blackwyrm noob. You should be iframing those roars not running in and out. Also, find a good tank, makes killing the thing very easy.

Back on topic, I do find this game and the things you mentioned fun. I don't understand people like you who come in here and act like fun is some objective thing that we all ought to feel the same about. I'm a f2p player who's been playing since first week of Feb. This is one of the least grindy, least P2W MMO's I've ever played. The great combat system is what makes this game fun to me

As others have said, show me any MMO that doesn't have some type of grind at endgame where you do the same thing over and over. Would you rather kill endless numbers of mobs, grind the same quests daily, do the same PvP warzones forever, raid once a week every week on schedule, etc. Pick your poison.

People are exaggerating.I pvp everyday in Arena 1v1 and barely see any bot.In fact I didn't had a single one for looong time.Arena rank had to reset to get 1.Yes after maintenance(and arena rank reset) I had 1 destro bot.Thats it.I had 10 or so locks,scummoners,blade masters(fml hate those),blade cancers,few kfm and some sins,oh and 1 FM.I'm FM myself.I play arena everyday.Not many matches thu but about 5-10,depend.In last 3 weeks I had maybe 2 bots give or take.

3 hours ago, Fyk0 said:

, overall it feels alot more rewarding

Just lol,try reading a forum and see where people stated where they did more then 120 runs of BSH 4man for outfit or skill book which never dropped,now that's not rewarding. im not saying something should drop every run but as we all know dungeons arent rewarding at all. 100+ runs to not get anything? haha please,i wouldn't actually mind it if anything else dropped that a player can use or sell = thats rewarding,doing 100+runs and ending empty handed = not rewarding.

for now game offers this : 1. pvp arena which is filled with bots and latency dependant 

2. endless grind for mw tear to earn gold = time consuming and doesn't really let you do anything else to earn gold

3. farm outfits that barely or never drop = wastes time and can't earn gold by doing it

So you have a choice of doing 1 of those only, make money or make yourself look good,even if you do arena for soulstones you will still need money if you plan to use them and if u sell soulstone then you have money but no soulstones.

Yeah every MMO is a grind,this one just have the most boring grind of all.

Oh and NCsoft is fighting the problem.In EU windrest I didn't seen a single gold spammer from days now.Went low lvl zone to see how it is there as I was bored and had nothing to do.Didn't find a single bot in the usual places.And not long ago there was bilion of them.

I'm not white knight and I'm one of the biggest NCsoft haters around but atleast about bots they are trying.Would be good if they start clearing the arena hackers and somehow to fix ther potato servers but well I doubt it.This is ncsoft afterall.

There was bound to be a decline in gold farming bots for a number of reasons,, Game 'hype' is dying down, game had 1000's and 1000's of new players just 'trying' the game out they  had no currencies and gold was selling in chat from gold seller for like 10$ for 1 gold  in the first few weeks BnS was a gold sellers dream, 1 hour game play for a gold farmer was very lucrative and profitable and every 'real' player in the game was a possible customer.

Now a few weeks have passed the majority of the playerbase are at cap , have professions capped, they now know the game, they know were to go to make gold, they etc etc OR they have already bought gold, so the gold demand from sellers is far far lower than it was a few weeks ago, adding to that is current value for a seller, it is now worth around 10% of what it was a few weeks ago, plus lack of demand measn alot of farmers have big stocks anyway, they dont need to have 'armies' of bots out in the game,  BUT they will still be there, they will always be there, its just the 'panic' to farm as much as possible as quick as possible is not a priority anymore

Archived