Account Hacked: Should You Risk Spending Money on NCSoft?

Snarkysaurus

5 hours ago, Taemek said:

Its ironic that every account hacked thread, the OP has only 1 post and this happens to always be their first post....

Well, ever think they don't come and post on the forums?  Not many players post on the forums.  After getting hacked, they have one place to go, the forums.

I say this as someone who's friend got hacked.

Things people need to remember to do, use a credit card over a debit card, they have better fraud protection.  Using a pre-paid credit card is also a good idea.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Brand X said:

Well, ever think they don't come and post on the forums?  Not many players post on the forums.  After getting hacked, they have one place to go, the forums.

I say this as someone who's friend got hacked.

Things people need to remember to do, use a credit card over a debit card, they have better fraud protection.  Using a pre-paid credit card is also a good idea.

No one gets individually hacked, hacking requires brute force entry, that's not happening here. If these companies were going to hack in to something worth while, it would be NCsoft.

Either people have done something in the past and been affiliated with 3rd party companies that have obtained access to their systems one way or another via phising OR they simply have poor password strength.

So if your account ever gets compromised, first place you need to look is at what activities you have been participating in.

If this issue is so *wide spread* to only NCsoft as people are saying, I have had my NCsoft account for almost 12 years and not once has my information been accessed by anyone but me.

Some people have to unfortunately learn the hard way before being smarter with how they use the internet.

5 hours ago, Taemek said:

Its ironic that every account hacked thread, the OP has only 1 post and this happens to always be their first post....

Plot twist, it's the same person making new accounts!

One way to prevent this is to keep changing your password for example once a week or a month. It is easy to forget for example passwords you had on websites like 10 years ago and suddenly coming up with the exact same one.

34 minutes ago, RyuueLaview said:

So I noticed that most ppl who got hacked hav described having either a credit or debit card on file in the game. 

Why oh WHY would you do that? I hope things can work out tho it seems unlikely. Has anyone that uses paypal gotten hacked? Or anyone that buys ncoin with amazon? 

I'm curious to know to help speculate what can be done to avoid being hacked. 

Further pls do not put a card on ur ncsoft account! Why?! How does that seem like a good idea? 

Maybe because Paypal doesn't always work. I was able to use Paypal to buy NCcoin, but it does not work when purchasing a premium account. I tried several times. For whatever reason, Paypal did not work for buying a subscription. I even contacted support, and they had no excuse. They simply said "It's something on your end". It even showed that a premium account was active, yet when I checked paypal payment history, there was no transaction and my account was not premium in-game. The only thing that worked was to use a credit card.

I have a system where I use a different password for everything. Using the same password for multiple games, email etc is a surefire way to get hacked. That being said, this is terrible. This game is riddled with bots and gold sellers, and hacked accounts go hand in hand with those bastards. I've even heard rumors that overseas companies like NCsoft are in league with the gold sellers.

It's a pretty sad state of the game when people are getting hacked w/o even going to 3rd party sites. If their own payment system is insecure, then that is a very serious problem. NCsoft should be reported to the better business bureau.

My gut has been telling me since day one that this game is a cespool of corruption and every one of these threads just validates my concern. And what are they doing about it? Nothing. Oh you can report bots in-game, whoopty-do. Is it doing anything to eradicate the bots? No. There are many other things that credible games can do to get rid of them.

This is pretty sad and even more sad are the people that have the balls to actually come here and point fingers at the victims.

Screw NCsoft. I'm not giving them another dime. When my subscription is expired I am out of here.

14 minutes ago, Alphashado said:

Maybe because Paypal doesn't always work. I was able to use Paypal to buy NCcoin, but it does not work when purchasing a premium account. I tried several times. For whatever reason, Paypal did not work for buying a subscription. I even contacted support, and they had no excuse. They simply said "It's something on your end". It even showed that a premium account was active, yet when I checked paypal payment history, there was no transaction and my account was not premium in-game. The only thing that worked was to use a credit card.

I have a system where I use a different password for everything. Using the same password for multiple games, email etc is a surefire way to get hacked. That being said, this is terrible. This game is riddled with bots and gold sellers, and hacked accounts go hand in hand with those bastards. I've even heard rumors that overseas companies like NCsoft are in league with the gold sellers.

It's a pretty sad state of the game when people are getting hacked w/o even going to 3rd party sites. If their own payment system is insecure, then that is a very serious problem. NCsoft should be reported to the better business bureau.

My gut has been telling me since day one that this game is a cespool of corruption and every one of these threads just validates my concern. And what are they doing about it? Nothing. Oh you can report bots in-game, whoopty-do. Is it doing anything to eradicate the bots? No. There are many other things that credible games can do to get rid of them.

This is pretty sad and even more sad are the people that have the balls to actually come here and point fingers at the victims.

Screw NCsoft. I'm not giving them another dime. When my subscription is expired I am out of here.

Ah yes, actually I recall when paypal didnt work for me either when I was trying to buy ncoin. Well now at least premium is mainly from the website itself. Before when preemium was in game I would buy ncoin thru amazon and then use the ncoin to buy a premium. 

Are you saying you could not purchase premium from the website through paypal? (Sorry I may have misunderstood)

53 minutes ago, Lunakitty said:

I am not sure how you are trying to buy NCoins but for me PayPal works wonderfully. Though I haven't tried buying premium as I see it not useful for me so I have no knowledge if it's possible for me to buy it using PayPal.

As I said, Paypal works just fine for buying NCcoins, but when you try to use it through the BnS website to purchase a premium account, it does not work. At least it didn't for me. And I tried several times over the course of several days.

Funny thing is, I am not playing this game any more, but i tend to read forums - it amuses me. Since very begining of this game in europe i payed close attention to threads like that (security is something i work with, i mean servers not like store security), and if You do the homework and check the forum, You will see for HOW many people that happened. Lets face it, not even a half of hacked people using forums probably, so we see only a little spill of the frustration here.

After so long time i recon this thread to be posted:

For me its utter bull***t.. ;) And as i mentioned quite few times already among different threads just like this one, this issue is surely on NCSoft side and im quite sure they know about it for some time already.

People who laugh at people being hacked, seriously, i know gaaming world is made of hate and similar stuff, but these people got robbed from their money, like literally robbed. Don't laugh, because You may be just the next person in the line ;)

Ok, lets move to the point. You guys wont get anything You  wish for, no bots removal, no security updates, because if this game exist for already 5 years, bot sh1tstorm is the same or even worse on KR/CN servers, seems they made the security better there (well ofc, who would care about EU/NA that much since from the begining everything with this game looks like a huge money grab and cash out). So or You will get security updates silently to shove it under the carpet or u wont get them at all.

Mark my words. I know the game is enjoyable, combat is somehow unique, characters look awesome etc, but please, sit and rethink what You have to go through to enjoy the game and what in exchange You are getting.

Well, not even a respond from the NCSoft employees about IMPORTANT STUFF FOR THE GAME AND PLAYERS, (only some random mods which probably are not connected with headquatters at all, they are just random players with a little bit better contact with the office thru internet). But try to name and shame bots - well, You will get warned about that in just no time - how ironic ;)

Every mmo is filled with bots, but trully, this game should get damn medal for that and devs should get another one for not being able/being lazy/being so lame to not solve it YET.

This is not gaming we remember we had in 2003~, now its strict business - deal with it and swallow the deal they are offering.. :(

3 hours ago, Alphashado said:

Every one of these threads validates it?

Validates what exactly? I see zero proof and evidence to validate anything. If you can show us proof, by all means, please do. All you have is claims that you *heard* rumours.

It's more likely made up stories from people who have either been phished from doing illegal activity with 3rd party sellers OR people who are too lazy to use high strength login/passwords.

Due to being a success it is very possible that some of these stories are just sheer bs made up from people attacking the company due to its success, one of the pitfalls with free 2 play games is ease of accessibility to their forums with no control on how many accounts can be made. It could potentially be people paid by other companies to rubbish the company, which isn't something new or unheard of.

Just remember, people having their accounts compromised are generally and almost all of the time, at fault themselves, not the company. If NCsoft had a single account breach where they could prove that peoples accounts were being stolen from, all accounts would automatically be locked down and they would force password resets as a blanket fix to get people to acknowledge they are the owners of said accounts.

NCsoft can't take responsibility for peoples mistakes they make themselves and sometimes, people have to learn the hard way to be smarter when using the internet, it is just that simple.

9 minutes ago, Taemek said:

Every one of these threads validates it?

Validates what exactly? I see zero proof and evidence to validate anything. If you can show us proof, by all means, please do. All you have is claims that you *heard* rumours.

It's more likely made up stories from people who have either been phished from doing illegal activity with 3rd party sellers OR people who are too lazy to use high strength login/passwords.

Due to being a success it is very possible that some of these stories are just sheer bs made up from people attacking the company due to its success, one of the pitfalls with free 2 play games is ease of accessibility to their forums with no control on how many accounts can be made. It could potentially be people paid by other companies to rubbish the company, which isn't something new or unheard of.

Just remember, people having their accounts compromised are generally and almost all of the time, at fault themselves, not the company. If NCsoft had a single account breach where they could prove that peoples accounts were being stolen from, all accounts would automatically be locked down and they would force password resets as a blanket fix to get people to acknowledge they are the owners of said accounts.

NCsoft can't take responsibility for peoples mistakes they make themselves and sometimes, people have to learn the hard way to be smarter when using the internet, it is just that simple.

Now, for the sake of variety, where is YOUR proof? Uh huh....right.

10 minutes ago, KaLnoX said:

Now, for the sake of variety, where is YOUR proof? Uh huh....right.

Have you seen NCsoft do a blanket lock of all accounts and force password, authentication and pin code resets along with verifying peoples emails are still correct?

If there was a problem on their end, that's what would happen. Why? Because they could be potentially sued for it if they were found to be the source of the personal and credit information leak.

Secondly, on this note, are you trying to say that people are hacking in to highly sophisticated encrypted servers to steal peoples credit card on file information to only then turn around and buy NCoins with it? Really? Do you even know what's required to crack a 256bit encryption?

If you read the news announcement, they are pretty much saying in a very well structured business orientated way without pointing the finger directly, that the issues that they have looked in to have been the individuals fault.

Keep the tin foil hat going though, I am sure you are making someone proud.

On 3.3.2016 at 10:03 PM, Snarkysaurus said:

Thing is, I haven't been keylogged. There's nothing on my computer. I've never tried to log onto an NCSoft site, (I do all account things from in-game) so I wasn't phished. I also don't use my NCSoft password for anything else. The only way this could have happened (and pay attention to this one) is: NCSoft's System Was Hacked. Which, granted, sounds worse than it is; just add a phone verification. Unfortunately you don't need it to log into the site. So anyone who gets your password can remove it, and then proceed to empty your characters' stuff onto their credit bots

"YEAaah sure" Lets see companies highly protected servers were hacked vs you screwing things up. Ill go with you screwing things up.

Do you seriously think that anyone with skills to hack companies servers would be interested of getting couple of accounts ? :D Yeah sure most likely not if there was hackers hacking ncsoft servers it would mean there would be thousands hacked in few days not just couple.

Past 15 years of my gaming i've been hacked once and it was back in WoW tbc's or was it lich king anyway that was because i had keylogger on my computer after that 0 times hacked because im not stupid enough to get my accounts hacked.

3 minutes ago, Taemek said:

Have you seen NCsoft do a blanket lock of all accounts and force password, authentication and pin code resets along with verifying peoples emails are still correct?

If there was a problem on their end, that's what would happen. Why? Because they could be potentially sued for it if they were found to be the source of the personal and credit information leak.

If you read the news announcement, they are pretty much saying that the issues that they have looked in to have been the individuals fault in a very well structured business orientated way without pointing the finger directly.

Ok, so explain to me how they would know if someone were to use the same password as another site they go to? How can they prove that? They have other site's database and password? Isn't that just an assumption on their part?

2 minutes ago, Taemek said:

If you read the news announcement, they are pretty much saying that the issues that they have looked in to have been the individuals fault in a very well structured business orientated way without pointing the finger directly.

Uh huh...they are assuming in some cases, same thing you're doing...assuming. Notice I haven't stooped to personal attacks as you have. They found the most likely problem for compromised accounts being breached and ran with it. Its easy and logical to assume the most likely cause of a problem but at the end of the day an assumption is still, heresy or as you would say, rumor. Until proof presented shows otherwise.

9 minutes ago, eHarvey said:

Ok, so explain to me how they would know if someone were to use the same password as another site they go to? How can they prove that? They have other site's database and password? Isn't that just an assumption on their part?

Do you understand how keyloggers and phishing works?

4 minutes ago, KaLnoX said:

Uh huh...they are assuming in some cases, same thing you're doing...assuming. Notice I haven't stooped to personal attacks as you have. They found the most likely problem for compromised accounts being breached and ran with it. Its easy and logical to assume the most likely cause of a problem but at the end of the day an assumption is still, heresy or as you would say, rumor. Until proof presented shows otherwise.

Again, anyone who could breach or exhaust 256bit encryption via brute force, is not here looking for small fries to only then turn around and use that money to buy in game currency with it. It is ludicrous to even consider it, not to mention, no device on the planet currently is even powerful enough to do the above in our life time.

Easiest thing to assume thats attributed to your account being hacked...since odds are when you do a search you come up with a leak that was what? A year ago? If its just only 2 or 3 months ago you know for sure you're a moron for using the same email so quickly for something else.

If someone creates an account to play a GAME, does nothing but use their debit card to buy premium account, then gets HACKED as a result, it is NOT the consumers fault. I am soo sick and tired of these people trying to blame the victim. Yes most of us understand how to mitigate the odds of being hacked, but not everyone that wants to play Blade and Soul is aware of the risks.

Fact is that on a supposedly reliable, trusted site, they are compromising their accounts, and that is unacceptable. If someone gets hacked as a result of using a 3rd party gold seller, then they will learn a valuable lesson. But if they are getting hacked simply because they are using NCsoft payment methods, REGARDLESS how well practiced they are in internet security, it IS NOT THEIR FAULT.

It simply amazes me that anyone can blame the victim in this situation. In fact, if you are here defending hacking or pointing fingers at victims, then in my opinion that makes you highly suspicious as a supporter of such malicious activity. If you want to educate people on internet security, then fine. But stop blaming them. They are the victims and they should be able to trust a company like NCsoft to supply secure transactions.

Just look at all the bots and gold spammers in the game then tell me again how much NCsoft really gives a shit. I've been doing this for a very long time and I don't buy it for one second. If they were serious about getting rid of gold sellers and bots, they would have done it by now.

Just now, Alphashado said:

If someone creates an account to play a GAME, does nothing but use their debit card to buy premium account, then gets HACKED as a result, it is NOT the consumers fault. I am soo sick and tired of these people trying to blame the victim. Yes most of us understand how to mitigate the odds of being hacked, but not everyone that wants to play Blade and Soul is aware of the risks.

Fact is that on a supposedly reliable, trusted site, they are compromising their accounts, and that is unacceptable. If someone gets hacked as a result of using a 3rd party gold seller, then they will learn a valuable lesson. But if they are getting hacked simply because they are using NCsoft payment methods, REGARDLESS how well practiced they are in internet security, it IS NOT THEIR FAULT.

It simply amazes me that anyone can blame the victim in this situation. In fact, if you are here defending hacking or pointing fingers at victims, then in my opinion that makes you highly suspicious as a supporter of such malicious activity. If you want to educate people on internet security, then fine. But stop blaming them. They are the victims and they should be able to trust a company like NCsoft to supply secure transactions.

Just look at all the bots and gold spammers in the game then tell me again how much NCsoft really gives a shit.

Wait what? :D Like hell your payments are fault at getting hacked.

I came across interesting thing from reddit. Oh well cant find that thread and too lazy to look for it.

But it seems like while back someone or group of someones hacked wildstar accounts like hundreds of thousands and spread them through forums so which this means is that if someone had already ncsoft account back then account might been compromised long before BnS which means its consumers own fault if they have not changed password for ages.

So it might not even be that anyone was actually hacked or keylogged while playing BnS but long before that and now that you guys who dont change passwords now and then.

So only one who is fault is consumer and hacker(s). Its pretty simpel rule change your password frequently to increase your account safety your own fault if you decide to ignore steps and do nothing for years :=)

On 3/3/2016 at 3:24 PM, Malvictus said:

You are absolutely correct, the 2 step verification should cover account login on the website too. It's utterly pointless to have it on your account if someone can just log in via the website and remove it.

I have 2 step on my account and wasn't actually aware it could just be removed in such a manner if your account is compromised, that's actually pretty worrying :(

WHO WHO WHO WAIT 2 STEP ISNT THE SITE?

3 hours ago, Taemek said:

Do you understand how keyloggers and phishing works?

Again, anyone who could breach or exhaust 256bit encryption via brute force, is not here looking for small fries to only then turn around and use that money to buy in game currency with it. It is ludicrous to even consider it, not to mention, no device on the planet currently is even powerful enough to do the above in our life time.

I'm talking about how does NCSoft know, not the hacker. How can NCSoft prove that the same password was used at another site, and that's why they got hacked?

15 minutes ago, Hatsunya said:

Wait what? :D Like hell your payments are fault at getting hacked.

I came across interesting thing from reddit. Oh well cant find that thread and too lazy to look for it.

But it seems like while back someone or group of someones hacked wildstar accounts like hundreds of thousands and spread them through forums so which this means is that if someone had already ncsoft account back then account might been compromised long before BnS which means its consumers own fault if they have not changed password for ages.

So it might not even be that anyone was actually hacked or keylogged while playing BnS but long before that and now that you guys who dont change passwords now and then.

So only one who is fault is consumer and hacker(s). Its pretty simpel rule change your password frequently to increase your account safety your own fault if you decide to ignore steps and do nothing for years :=)

So you're saying NCSoft's other game, Wildstar got breached before, but there's no way in hell BnS could be breached? And it's only the consumer's fault that NCSoft's account management system lets hackers change people's email without an email confirmation, take off Google authorization without email confirmation and bypass pin, add a 2 step verification to the account without confirming with the e-mail, no 2 step verification when logging into the website, and that NCSoft doesn't hold any blame?

Archived