Animation cancelling... is dumb.

Meerkat

7 minutes ago, BattleKat said:

I...think you are lost, he clearly know everything you said there, this topic is about something else, not talking if it is useful or not, because it clearly is useful.

Did you even read his post? I think you're the one who is lost my friend. He even put in a TL;DR Calling for the removal of it like every other player I have seen complain about this. So while he may "know" everything I said. He clearly does not agree that it should be in the game, whereas I do. Moving along...

p.s. My earlier post was rife with sarcasm , just in case you failed to detect that..

"

So, how to improve Blade & Soul combat?  A few ways.  Remove animation cancelling altogether and rebalance moves so classes can retain effectiveness.  Or have animation cancelling serve more to break long animations ( reset to neutral stance ) and cost focus.  This of course also requires animations to be changed so that animation cancelling actually makes sense.

Animation cancelling in Blade & Soul is excess fat.  You trim the fat for the lean meat.  We don't have to all end at the same place, but we should all start from the same place.  That is the spirit of competition.

TD;DR:  Animation cancelling is dumb because it doesn’t add anything to combat strategy, while being impacted by non-player factors, and should either be removed or implemented in a way similar to top tier fighting games to improve the competitive aspect of this game.

Edited Friday at 1:18 PM by Meerkat
Zerecas, Profyrion, Strider and 6 others like this

"If you purchase cash shop RNG boxes, you are supporting ebola."  - Kanye West

"Don't be a terrorist.  Don't buy cash shop RNG boxes."  - Taylor Swift

"Come lads, throw those cash shop RNG boxes into the harbour!  For Freedom, Liberty and Justice!"  - Hatsune Miku

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Laethiel said:

Did you even read his post? I think you're the one who is lost my friend. He even put in a TL;DR Calling for the removal of it like every other player I have seen complain about this. So while he may "know" everything I said. He clearly does not agree that it should be in the game, whereas I do. Moving along...

"

So, how to improve Blade & Soul combat?  A few ways.  Remove animation cancelling altogether and rebalance moves so classes can retain effectiveness.  Or have animation cancelling serve more to break long animations ( reset to neutral stance ) and cost focus.  This of course also requires animations to be changed so that animation cancelling actually makes sense.

Animation cancelling in Blade & Soul is excess fat.  You trim the fat for the lean meat.  We don't have to all end at the same place, but we should all start from the same place.  That is the spirit of competition.

TD;DR:  Animation cancelling is dumb because it doesn’t add anything to combat strategy, while being impacted by non-player factors, and should either be removed or implemented in a way similar to top tier fighting games to improve the competitive aspect of this game.

Edited Friday at 1:18 PM by Meerkat
Zerecas, Profyrion, Strider and 6 others like this

"If you purchase cash shop RNG boxes, you are supporting ebola."  - Kanye West

"Don't be a terrorist.  Don't buy cash shop RNG boxes."  - Taylor Swift

"Come lads, throw those cash shop RNG boxes into the harbour!  For Freedom, Liberty and Justice!"  - Hatsune Miku

I stand on what i said, if you also read the rest of the answers you will know.

Let me explain, he know that Ani-Cancel is a MUST for some class's to deal more dps because is obvius increase the DPS a lot, what he want is, remove it and make actual features for the game that are intended, and not a glitch in order to make the game legit and less buggy, and also fair at some point, because high latency players cant ani-cancel at all which instantly force them to play Force Master or Summoner to stay in competitive lvls with high latency.

I like ani-cancel in games, but not in Server Side connection games because, it make that the only ones allowed to cast combos are those that live close to the servers or have low latency, Ani-Cancel should be ONLY for Client Side games, example, GunZ, RaiderZ, S4 League...because it dont affect the performance of the player in PVP.

2 minutes ago, Innolis said:

The actual problem comes when you can easily setup a macro to do it for you. And then you have destroyers on the arena melting people in 2 seconds.

If you even bother to check unofficial forums you can see,almost everyone uses macro for it.The macro is like a requirement to play the game.

Those who act tough here are just some crippled mdf crying for their exploit to not go away.It won't for sure but they always get the bait.

It's max 5 mins to set a perfect macro and i don't understand why these kids are still babbling about how talented they are ...

15 minutes ago, BattleKat said:

I stand on what i said, if you also read the rest of the answers you will know.

Let me explain, he know that Ani-Cancel is a MUST for some class's to deal more dps because is obvius increase the DPS a lot, what he want is, remove it and make actual features for the game that are intended, and not a glitch in order to make the game legit and less buggy, and also fair at some point, because high latency players cant ani-cancel at all which instantly force them to play Force Master or Summoner to stay in competitive lvls with high latency.

*sigh* Allow me to highlight the post that my reply was directed at again in the hopes you can understand why it is I said what I said and why you are wrong in assuming I didn't bother to read it or comprehend it. What I didn't bother to do was read through all the comments on this thread.

So you say I am lost in my reply because OP said he "knows it is a must and it is useful" however if you will look again you will see.

As far as I can tell, animation cancelling is just extra mechanical difficulty that does nothing to improve the game.

Mmhmm. Okay "nothing to improve the game"

That’s what Blade & Soul animation cancelling is.  It’s just frame buffering.  It adds nothing to the game.

It doesn't add DPS? No according to him it adds NOTHING to the game.

The result is that we’re saddled with a crap mechanic that doesn’t improve the game, puts players with poor ping at disadvantage, creates artificial mechanical difficulty and is just dumb.

I don't see him mentioning it increased DPS. Just more complaining about how it's "dumb"

Mayhaps he should come to terms with the fact that not everyone in this game likes to play "competitively"

and of course the TL;DR asking for it's removal or reworking. blah blah

I did not read any other answers in this thread and again I don't care to, so if I missed any sort of revelation he had then fine. However in his original post He is calling for it's removal or reworking,

"He says it adds nothing useful to the game". I said it adds DPS. That is useful right? So it DOES in fact add something to the game.

Then you chime in going  "Oh no he said DPS is useful".. Again I have shown this is not the case in his "original post", and if he has since had a revelation about this then he did not reflect it in his ORIGINAL POST.  Are you absolutely sure you read his post and still stand by what you said? The fact here is you're wrong. Like it or not.

Now whether or not any given player can or can't do ani cancelling due to ping it is irrelevant and i lack any crickets to give on that. Most combo based games have ways to cancel out animations. This is not something that can be just simply "removed" by waving a magic coding wand. The fighting mechanics are dead set into the games engine. Not to mention this game was created in Korea and simply ported here and translated. It was not created by NCsoft,

It would require quite a bit of work to prevent animation cancelling most likely by the team in Korea, and doing so would more than likely (as was the case in age of conan) just mess up the mechanics in some way, and make it clunky and bothersome. Like adding delays to combat mechanics and what not. OP is simply asking for too much in my opinion to which I am entitled to whether you or anyone agrees or not. Also I am fairly certain the Korean team would just laugh at this complaint.

If he does not like ani cancelling then he should just not do it. If he doesn't like other people doing it because it's "unfair" then maybe he should move closer to the server or find another game to play. Life isn't fair. Deal with it.

2 hours ago, Laethiel said:

You may think ani cancelling is dumb but it's a useful game mechanic. You say it adds nothing to the game but i beg to differ. It increases your dps which is "Damage per second" i:e how much damage you can output per actual second..  right? So clearly if you're pumping out more damage per second your DPS is going up .. following me here?

Anyways DCUO has animation cancelling as well and it is quite useful. You could really pump up the DPS (Damage Per Second). Age of conan had ani cancelling for awhile but so many people whined and cried about it because they couldn't do it. So the devs added measures to prevent it. To a degree it worked but people found other ways to ani cancel like jumping and attacking in midair. Some people consider this exploiting. to each their own. I don't see how ani cancelling in BnS is a bad thing. If you don't like it then simply don't do it.. Brilliant solution i think.

The entire topic went right over your head.  You didn't even hear the whoosh as it went over your head, you were so far.

Okay, we're gonna buddy system on this one.  I'm going to break down everything into a numbered list so you can tell me at which number your eyes start glazing over and things stop making sense.

1.  There are many ways to increase DPS.  For example, making the numbers actually bigger.

2.  If we make the numbers bigger, DPS goes up.  This would be an intended change.

3.  Animation cancelling was not intended to be in the game.  It was an accident that instead of being aborted, was kept, and now has developed severe developmental disabilities.

4.  Intended mechanics are better than non-intended mechanics.

5.  This non-intended mechanic is especially egregious as it is effected by performance and latency.  Therefore, it is bad.  Coincidentally, that is the definition of "egregious."

6.  The non-intended mechanic is so "egregious" it puts certain players and classes at disadvantages through no fault of the player or the base class design.

7.  We can design better systems.  Intentional systems.

8.  Better systems will not categorically put certain players and classes at disadvantages just because, which will level out the playing field.

9.  A level playing field improves accessibility which ultimately makes for a healthier competitive scene.

Kicker:  Right now, there isn't really a big, heavy combat class.  Think Zangief from Street Fighter.  Not as fast, but very tanky and if he connects, hits like a truck.  Destroyers, from the description, were probably originally intended to be that kind of class.  Destroyers aren't, because with animation cancelling, they're just another fast attack class, which means, aside from ranged classes, all the classes in Blade & Soul are kinda fast attack classes.  So if Destroyers were changed to actually be a Zangief-type class, Blade & Soul would see increased playstyle variety by the introduction of a class with a fundamentally different playstyle more focused on playing conservatively and tanking, biding your time, trying to force your opponent into a mistake and punishing either via trapping or just pure rushdown.

1 hour ago, Laethiel said:

"He says it adds nothing useful to the game". I said it adds DPS. That is useful right? So it DOES in fact add something to the game.

Now whether or not any given player can or can't do ani cancelling due to ping it is irrelevant and i lack any crickets to give on that. Most combo based games have ways to cancel out animations. This is not something that can be just simply "removed" by waving a magic coding wand. The fighting mechanics are dead set into the games engine. Not to mention this game was created in Korea and simply ported here and translated. It was not created by NCsoft,

So if NCSoft added a potion that costs 20 NCoins, and in exchanged, increased damage output by 5% for an hour, that would also be adding something useful to the game!  That potion would add DPS!  It's useful!  Therefore we should keep it!

You still have no idea what you're talking about.  Let me describe to you how animation cancelling works in fighting games:

The last move in one string is very damaging, but has a long recovery animation, in which your opponent can regain control of his character.  You animation cancel the recovery animation, allowing you to initiate a second string before your opponent can regain control of his character, extending the combo for more damage.  To balance this ability, you have to expend a portion of your super meter, so you have to decide:  Do I want to extend the combo now or save up for a super later?  Keep in mind supers often have a lot of various utilities like abundant invincibility frames.

A particular move is very damaging, but again has a long recovery animation.  If your opponent blocks, the block animation is long enough that he can't easily punish you.  If your opponent techs out ( perfect parry, etc. ), he can punish you hard.  When you see your opponent tech out, you animation cancel so you can react to his punish.  Again, this expends a portion of your super meter so you don't always have this ability available, and if you repeatedly make the same mistake, you're still going to get *cricket*ed.

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS.  Blade & Soul, you animation cancel because there is no reason not to.

I thought these were different people, but they were the same.  Wow, I definitely know who I don't want on my debate team.

12 hours ago, Pesto said:

i totally agree, theres no reason why someone who's able to micro and macro better than me should be better than me in starcraft, i mean, i know what they are doing and i know what i should be doing, why should the fact that I am unable to split micro marines cause me to get deleted by banelings, right?

is there a time where you would not want to be producing units/mining resources in a RTS? is there a time when you would not want to kill minions for gold in MOBA games? yet here we are, doing all these things manually. 

what the actual eff? FPS games arent latency dependent? moba games arent latency dependent? Maybe not at the lower levels but if we are talking about competitive play it always matters because what it comes down to is reaction speed, you see how many pro players waste their cleanse or QSS because riot moved servers to chicago and they are no longer used to playing under native ping just this season?

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

In RTS, as you micro, you are constantly making decisions.  I'm going to take your own examples, and prove to you how wrong you are.

How do I split the marines?  Where do those split marines go?  How many marines in each squad?  When do I split?  Everything is a decision.  And that invites counterplay.  Does your opponent go all in with all banelings?  Does he try to bait you with other units?  Does he anticipate and have some banelings burrowed adjacent so you split into his banelings?  When does he build banelings?  It all fits into beautiful a web of decisions!

In a MOBA, when do you kill the minions?  Now, near the enemy tower?  Or do you let them move deeper into friendly territory?  Do you keep farming minions or do you split to another lane for a gank?  This leads to counterplay!  Aggressive recon via wards and communication!  Anticipating an enemy gank and countering!  Timing your own gank!  Again, all a beautiful web of decisions!

Don't you see it?!  The glory of well designed systems?  It's all tied together into the bigger game!  Everything is purposeful and intertwined!

Blade & Soul animation cancelling does none of those things.  You just do it.  It has no deep gameplay purpose, nor does it make combat deeper.  There's no counterplay.  It's not a piece in the bigger puzzle.  It's *cricket*ing masturbation.

In Blade & Soul, you animation cancel because the alternative is sucking, and that's not a real alternative.  Can I animation cancel now?  No? -> You might be CC'd or dead.  Yes? -> Animation cancel.

1 hour ago, Meerkat said:

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEMS.  Blade & Soul, you animation cancel because there is no reason not to.

Can you link me to the post where NCsoft acknowledged or stated that animation cancelling is unintended? 

You can't presume to know what was developed intentionally  and what was an unintentional effect without either 

A. A direct involvement in the development of the game ( in which case I would expect you to change it yourself) or

B. A developer that was part of the team stating " This is/is not intentional"

Without one or both of those point's stating that something is or is not intentional is that of pure opinion, and may change whether you're asking for something to be redeveloped or fixed.

3 hours ago, TwoPunchMan said:

I suggest you change classes and I'm not saying this because "omg wtf noob don't ani cancel GTFO" type reasons.

Ani cancel LMB/RMB combo is core to the class, in fact if someone was to tell me that the entire class was built from the grounds up just to do that I would believe them.

Not being top notch would be the least of your problems, pulling your own weight, soloing bosses in Mushin or just anywhere would be a complete nightmare as destroyer literally has the worst dps in the entire game without animation cancel. I cannot stress this enough, leveling you might not see the problem yet but as you start branching into end game dungeons and Mushin tower, you would start to feel the pain as you hit enrage timers.

I myself already jumped ship from the class, ever since the update that made my ping a lot worse than it already is, I couldn't even do pseudo animation cancel anymore (I call 250 ping animation cancel pseudo since nothing is really being cancelled), it is a dreadful experience it sucks because I like destroyer class as well but I do pretty much everything else better as an FM even with this lagfest I am experiencing.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't really read into it properly until now. I find it strange that a whole class's DPS is based on a gimmic like this, but if everyone says it, they can't be wrong. :P 
I'll keep leveling and when I feel the need for it, I guess I'll have to train it like everyone else... (I don't think I have any ping issues so I should be fine)

I dot think this topic will progress from here, everyone are just fighting over the same things and theres no real feedback.

@Lock6

i think we need you here, i know you are not a developer, but you can talk directly with the team and specify us if this will be a accepted glitch, or a known issue (most action game take ani-cancel as accepted glitch), but if it will be one accepted glitch, could something be done in order to fix the latency issues?, because medium latency players cant play Ani-Cancel class's because is impossible for them perform the ani cancel, the perfect method to fix this is making the skills Client Side, so everyone will be able to do Ani-Cancel and not only those with very low latency.

1 hour ago, Meerkat said:

You animation cancel the recovery animation, allowing you to initiate a second string before your opponent can regain control of his character, extending the combo for more damage.  To balance this ability, you have to expend a portion of your super meter, so you have to decide: 

I'd like to add to this, that an animation cancelled super has diminishing returns on damage. If I used a Super Hadoken straight up, it would do a lot more damage as opposed to one used after footsies and a normal hadoken.

Even the current animation cancelling in BnS can be made a viable mechanic with diminishing returns on damage, forcing players to not spam the same move over and over again.

27 minutes ago, Solori said:

Can you link me to the post where NCsoft acknowledged or stated that animation cancelling is unintended? 

You can't presume to know what was developed intentionally  and what was an unintentional effect without either 

A. A direct involvement in the development of the game ( in which case I would expect you to change it yourself) or

Without one or both of those point's stating that something is or is not intentional is that of pure opinion, and may change whether you're asking for something to be redeveloped or fixed.

Actually unless im mistaken it's wildly known that ani cancel was not intended actually but kept for some reason.

10 minutes ago, OniOfTheSword said:

I'd like to add to this, that an animation cancelled super has diminishing returns on damage. If I used a Super Hadoken straight up, it would do a lot more damage as opposed to one used after footsies and a normal hadoken.

Even the current animation cancelling in BnS can be made a viable mechanic with diminishing returns on damage, forcing players to not spam the same move over and over again.

But then how does a LBM do any damage D:

15 minutes ago, Zel said:

Just like how they do it in fighting games!  By design!

As you take damage in a combo, you gain passive damage resistance.  The more damage you take, the greater resistance you gain, until you only take 1% damage from incoming hits.  The passive damage resistance expires on its own after maybe a second of you no longer taking damage.  Since it's based on damage and not hits, you gain the same reduction from 100 damage over four hits as 100 damage over one hit.

This system applies the same mechanic to all classes, makes infinite strings near impossible and is easy to tweak.

Before you scream, "that's retarded and will never work," that's how it's worked in fighting games for DECADES; games with actual, real, competitive pedigree.

And I'm not advocating for this system, I'm just describing how it works and proving that it does work.

11 minutes ago, Zel said:

Air combos wouldn't fall under the animation cancelling mechanic, so that would still be a viable damage dealing combo.

Diminishing returns would still allow you to deal damage using 3rf for KFM or Lmb/Rmb for Destro, but would prevent 100->0 wipeouts since damage would go something like 10->8->6->4-> etc on successive animation cancels, due to either damage reduction or the opponent gaining damage resistance.

I'm just throwing out spur of the moment thoughts on the numbers, but it could be a potential solution without a complete overhaul of the animations themselves. Would just be conditional damage tweaks, i.e. changing numbers in their code.

53 minutes ago, Solori said:

Of all the arguments I made, you picked the most inconsequential one to try to argue.  Why?

34 minutes ago, OniOfTheSword said:

Air combos wouldn't fall under the animation cancelling mechanic, so that would still be a viable damage dealing combo.

Diminishing returns would still allow you to deal damage using 3rf for KFM or Lmb/Rmb for Destro, but would prevent 100->0 wipeouts since damage would go something like 10->8->6->4-> etc on successive animation cancels, due to either damage reduction or the opponent gaining damage resistance.

I'm just throwing out spur of the moment thoughts on the numbers, but it could be a potential solution without a complete overhaul of the animations themselves. Would just be conditional damage tweaks, i.e. changing numbers in their code.

I meant more in terms of PvE, since all LBM's do in PvE is LMB/F for 30s then do it again. PvP wouldn't matter since LBM's are the masters of the mixup.

To think they will "fix" this is not going to happen.  Look at the warlock and soul fighter, both use the same weapon skins already in the game.  Do they even have anyone competent on the coding/art team anymore?

You are right, it is a dumb mechanic that will NOT ever be fixed if you follow the patterns of this company.

1 hour ago, Solori said:

There was a thread where a mod said it was intended.But it's common sense that it's not intended.Who would intend something like not swinging your axe,not hitting but dealing damage ?

I can give an example of intended ani-cancel.Very old game Knight Online ... When you ani-cancel,an extra slashing effect comes out making it look like a feature.But here it's just a dumb bug.

oh this whine topic is still going on, they wont fix it, since its feuture. else if they fix it half of clases would not be playable, and it turn out in typical mmo, where ppl pick just op class in pt.

58 minutes ago, Kazna said:

oh this whine topic is still going on, they wont fix it, since its feuture. else if they fix it half of clases would not be playable, and it turn out in typical mmo, where ppl pick just op class in pt.

Five pages later and people are still saying this, like they can't put two and two together and realize they would obviously have to accompany the removal of animation canceling with a re-balance of classes' intended DPS.

I feel bad for you, OP. I certainly agree that leaving in such a silly unintended mechanic is bad for the game. So many games would have been better if they had fixed certain "tech" early on instead of trying to build the game around it. Not like Aura Kingdom was ever much of a serious game to begin with, but if they had removed jump-casting (literally just hitting space before every single skill cast so that you could continue to auto-attack during skill animations) then maybe I'd still be playing with it.

Doesn't really show the developers in much of a good light, either. If certain classes absolutely need animation canceling to be viable right now, then how unbalanced and terrible were those classes on paper, before this "tech" was discovered? 

Just saying.

If you ever cared for game design, there is MDA, or mechanics, dynamics, and aesthethics.  Go look them up, it does a lot for you when you think about developer/player relationship.  

I personally consider ani-cancel as part of dynamics.  

9 hours ago, Meerkat said:

The entire topic went right over your head.  You didn't even hear the whoosh as it went over your head, you were so far.

Okay, we're gonna buddy system on this one.  I'm going to break down everything into a numbered list so you can tell me at which number your eyes start glazing over and things stop making sense.

1.  There are many ways to increase DPS.  For example, making the numbers actually bigger.

2.  If we make the numbers bigger, DPS goes up.  This would be an intended change.

3.  Animation cancelling was not intended to be in the game.  It was an accident that instead of being aborted, was kept, and now has developed severe developmental disabilities.

5.  This non-intended mechanic is especially egregious as it is effected by performance and latency.  Therefore, it is bad.  Coincidentally, that is the definition of "egregious."

6.  The non-intended mechanic is so "egregious" it puts certain players and classes at disadvantages through no fault of the player or the base class design.

7.  We can design better systems.  Intentional systems.

8.  Better systems will not categorically put certain players and classes at disadvantages just because, which will level out the playing field.

9.  A level playing field improves accessibility which ultimately makes for a healthier competitive scene.

Kicker:  Right now, there isn't really a big, heavy combat class.  Think Zangief from Street Fighter.  Not as fast, but very tanky and if he connects, hits like a truck.  Destroyers, from the description, were probably originally intended to be that kind of class.  Destroyers aren't, because with animation cancelling, they're just another fast attack class, which means, aside from ranged classes, all the classes in Blade & Soul are kinda fast attack classes.  So if Destroyers were changed to actually be a Zangief-type class, Blade & Soul would see increased playstyle variety by the introduction of a class with a fundamentally different playstyle more focused on playing conservatively and tanking, biding your time, trying to force your opponent into a mistake and punishing either via trapping or just pure rushdown.

So if NCSoft added a potion that costs 20 NCoins, and in exchanged, increased damage output by 5% for an hour, that would also be adding something useful to the game!  That potion would add DPS!  It's useful!  Therefore we should keep it!

You still have no idea what you're talking about.  Let me describe to you how animation cancelling works in fighting games:

The last move in one string is very damaging, but has a long recovery animation, in which your opponent can regain control of his character.  You animation cancel the recovery animation, allowing you to initiate a second string before your opponent can regain control of his character, extending the combo for more damage.  To balance this ability, you have to expend a portion of your super meter, so you have to decide:  Do I want to extend the combo now or save up for a super later?  Keep in mind supers often have a lot of various utilities like abundant invincibility frames.

A particular move is very damaging, but again has a long recovery animation.  If your opponent blocks, the block animation is long enough that he can't easily punish you.  If your opponent techs out ( perfect parry, etc. ), he can punish you hard.  When you see your opponent tech out, you animation cancel so you can react to his punish.  Again, this expends a portion of your super meter so you don't always have this ability available, and if you repeatedly make the same mistake, you're still going to get *cricket*ed.

I thought these were different people, but they were the same.  Wow, I definitely know who I don't want on my debate team.

are you serious right now?.... look dude... you're an idiot plain and simple.. your "retort" and let's be frank. it was terrible.. is worthless.. you're what is commonly called a QQ'er. Shuffle on purple boy. im done with this ridiculous topic... moving on

Archived