Animation cancelling... is dumb.

Meerkat

11 hours ago, BattleKat said:

Actually the Butterfly was no long used after the first half year when it was discovered, and the whole GunZ was Anicancel, there was no move besides using potions and nades, everything else was anicancel: TBF, IF, SS, IG, etc...(there are a lot more but i dont remember the names)

But ya, the problem is not the Ani-Cancel, it SHOULD exist, its fine, the problem is the Game code, it should be Client Side in order to have a fair Ani-Cancel, with Server Side the only ones allowed to do a correctly performed AC are the ones that play close to the server with 150- ping, so basically those with 250 ping cant use a destroyer competitively because their main DPS source is the Ani-Cancel, and yes, i havent seen a single tournament where destroyers win with out ani-cancel. (while the rest of the class's dont really need AC to win to be honest...but for destroyers is a must in PVP)

I agree with the ping issue, but most likely when you make the action client side there is a whole other dimension of problems that will pop up all of a sudden (mainly cheat related stuff i can imagine). Still in the end it's a korean game and maybe this is one of many reasons we still don't have good optimization or 'ping' fixes. Over there it actually isn't a problem, but with us connecting all over the place it's starts to ... well being a problem. We need more localized servers for certain regions, but that would mean the population would even spread more thin then it is at the moment.

I don't think they will try to fix this or get it fixed either way. As said it's already a feature aswell so ... yeah not a whole lot thats gonna happen in that department. I was incredibly hyped about this game for years and now i actually get to play it. It makes me sad though that this game will have a very ninche crowd that can play it like it's supposed to work. That is IF it can keep the ninche crowd and with all the other problems that are not being adressed quick enough i doubt it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/4/2016 at 3:24 AM, Daemonk said:

That being said, there is one aspect of animation canceling that people don't really talk about. There is a strange satisfaction when you perform it correctly. It's not satisfying because it is something that takes a lot of skill and you can do it correctly. It's satisfying in a rhythmic way, similar to dancing or listening to music. Whether that satisfaction is enough to keep it in the game is obviously subjective.

As I've stated earlier, this is more of a thought exercise, and I have no real expectations of this issue being taken seriously by NCSoft.  They've never really given a shit about non-KR players, neither have they any particular talent for making games.

In fact, reading the responses, I've realized I'm pretty much the only person juxtaposing to other games, or really just breaking down the game mechanics.  It's almost as if a lot of people here only really have experience with mmopergers.  I guess I was hoping to see some better counter-arguments?  I haven't.  It's kinda disappointing.

1.  Animation cancelling, being essentially derivative of frame buffering, doesn't require that much additional skill.  It's kind of a rhythm-based, mechanical element that really isn't necessary.  Consistently performing rapid input shouldn't make you the better gamer, your ability to strategise and adapt should.

2.  Animation cancelling isn't a new mechanic ( neither is tech chase ) by any means.  Kiddies in here thinking Blade & Soul is some kinda special snowflake... Blade & Soul isn't.  Animation cancelling has been around for decades and has been implemented in superior ways in games with actual competitive pedigree.  In these games, animation cancelling is a technique you must actively decide to use because of the high associated cost ( up to 50% of super bar ).  In Blade & Soul, whenever you can animation cancel, you should.  There is never a time you shouldn't.  Why would you not want to get in two extra attacks in the same time window?  It's the default action.

3.  Animation cancelling is impacted by way too many circumstances entirely out of the player's control like performance and latency.  This gimps certain players for reasons entirely separate from player ability, and furthermore gimps certain classes when all classes should at least be viable.

4.  Competitive gaming should strive to start players off from an equal playing field, as much as possible.  It's why we divide fighters into weight categories and why F1 racing cars even have to use the same tires.  Where we each end up will be different, and how we get there will be different, and that's okay.  However, at the minimum, we should at least start from similar positions.

I don't understand the point of this discussion...... This version of Blade and Soul is International unfortunately. If the host had made a decision to only allow players from the United States of America to access it, the highest ping any one would ever see would be 150 ms tops. Players that live overseas, on different continents who are playing the game understand that they are at a disadvantage. 

Every MMORPG made with Unreal Engine has animation canceling, due to how the engine handles keyed inputs, from what I'm comprehending he is wanting this game to become a turn based game and maybe only accessible on a 3300 baud modem? 

As far as hosting an event for a truly competitive experience the only true option would be setting it up in a convention hall with servers there and everyone sitting down on a identical machine. Join the competition for X amount of dollars etc, etc etc. Still yet Animation canceling is a major aspect of this game style of play/combat. 

20 hours ago, Meerkat said:

As I've stated earlier, this is more of a thought exercise, and I have no real expectations of this issue being taken seriously by NCSoft.  They've never really given a shit about non-KR players, neither have they any particular talent for making games.

In fact, reading the responses, I've realized I'm pretty much the only person juxtaposing to other games, or really just breaking down the game mechanics.  It's almost as if a lot of people here only really have experience with mmopergers.  I guess I was hoping to see some better counter-arguments?  I haven't.  It's kinda disappointing.

1.  Animation cancelling, being essentially derivative of frame buffering, doesn't require that much additional skill.  It's kind of a rhythm-based, mechanical element that really isn't necessary.  Consistently performing rapid input shouldn't make you the better gamer, your ability to strategise and adapt should.

2.  Animation cancelling isn't a new mechanic ( neither is tech chase ) by any means.  Kiddies in here thinking Blade & Soul is some kinda special snowflake... Blade & Soul isn't.  Animation cancelling has been around for decades and has been implemented in superior ways in games with actual competitive pedigree.  In these games, animation cancelling is a technique you must actively decide to use because of the high associated cost ( up to 50% of super bar ).  In Blade & Soul, whenever you can animation cancel, you should.  There is never a time you shouldn't.  Why would you not want to get in two extra attacks in the same time window?  It's the default action.

3.  Animation cancelling is impacted by way too many circumstances entirely out of the player's control like performance and latency.  This gimps certain players for reasons entirely separate from player ability, and furthermore gimps certain classes when all classes should at least be viable.

4.  Competitive gaming should strive to start players off from an equal playing field, as much as possible.  It's why we divide fighters into weight categories and why F1 racing cars even have to use the same tires.  Where we each end up will be different, and how we get there will be different, and that's okay.  However, at the minimum, we should at least start from similar positions.

People dont bother to breakdown the mechanics of the game that they are currently playing and enjoying. What would be the point of that? It's not like B&S is some inovative game on market with something refreshing.

When you actually breakdown this entire game it doesn't have anything to offer other then  gear vise balanced arena and even with that some classes are still in advantage over others,You can play with lvl 1 weapon as long as you lvl to max lvl for required skill pts amount and can enjoy PvP which is balanced compared to most MMOs out there.

1. PvE = Repetitive and boring,with or without clan/perma grp you can get full soulshield set in less in a day if you have enough time to do few runs of the same dungeon,and soulshield is like most important  gear piece a game has to offer. ( had a guy tanking Lab boss Fujin with profaine weapon....) rest of the gear accessories/weapon actually just depends on the money that you have or don't have which is actually very easy to get if you sell NC Coins if you're lazy or don't have time to farm.... And when you get your soulshield set you basically don't need to do that dungeon anymore.

Earning achivements is somewhat fun but at some point you just realise it's not worth it lol,need to run same dungeon 100/1000 times for small amount of points lol. 

I know that other game aren't much different cause you also basically do the same thing everyday,but they at leas have more dungeons to run,bigger content in PvE aspect at least.

2.World PvP = DEAD, it's laggfest and badly optimized game,put 20 players on the field and enjoy your low FPS even with super PC,or even if you have good FPS then enjoy most unbalanced open world PvP.

3. Arena PvP well this whole thread basically gave answer to that tho,there's too many circumstances for every person to enjoy it fully, It is balanced in some way and that's why lot of people prefer it then other games,cause not many games offer arena where everyone have the same stats. And in the end no matter how good you are,if you're among those unlucky who for some reason have bad ping,well you won't really enjoy it like it's meant to be.

That's basically breakdown the game in short. Probably worst PvE content i ever saw in MMO,actually ranks with Black Desert if you ask me. And i dont do PvP not cause of bad ping,cause it doesn't really seem that interesting. I can barely finish daily PvP Arena quests without almost falling asleep of how boring it is to me.

Before anyone asks me why do i still play it with all this hate,naa not hating the game at all just not enjoying it...and there's no other MMOs out there so basically killing time in this one,since the game is practically one big private server considering how easy is to gear up and do stuff,i don't see a reason why not play it while waiting other games to come out.

>there is anything else to do in an mmo.

>what mmo isnt repetitive dungeon runs for loots, gear or reward

>even GW2 has started using raiding systems

>want something different, play a triple A single player. 

>or play mmos to just rp. 

On 4/3/2016 at 7:36 PM, Meerkat said:

I get what you're saying.  I've explained aggressor advantage as a combination of lag compensation and client side hit detection more times than I care to count.

That's not my point.

My question is whether mechanical difficulty is conducive toward a good game.

Let's define what I mean by mechanical difficulty.  Aspects of the game not directly related to how you defeat your opponent, but how you physically, in the real world, perform actions.  Accuracy and consistency of input is mechanical.

We are human beings, we make errors.  Because of that, a bot will always defeat a human in a purely mechanical game.  The bot will never make a mistake.  But we're not bots, we're humans.  Certain types of competitions are purely mechanical, shooting for example.  But whenever we can, when we compete, it should be a competition of our human qualities, not which one of us can be the better bot.  Our ability to strategise and adapt.  Our ability to think and imagine.

An example:

Counterstrike: Global Offensive.  If bots were forced to play by the same rules as human players, e.g. unable to see through smoke, walls, etc., humans could beat bots.  With good strategy and use of smokes and flashbangs, we can flank, one shot the bots and win.

Dirty Bomb, however... Dirty Bomb places such a huge emphasis on individual player mechanical skill, on precision and tracking, a human player will be hard pressed to defeat a bot, even in ideal circumstances.  The mechanical difficulty is why I love Dirty Bomb, but is Dirty Bomb the better game?

It hurts me to say this because Dirty Bomb is my favourite FPS game, and I hate Counterstrike... but Dirty Bomb maybe isn't the better game.  Counterstrike is definitely the more human game.  Counterstrike is streamlined; they've done everything possible to level out the playing field and create an environment where thinking humans compete against other thinking humans because Counterstrike is more about strategy and tactics and less raw talent.

That's a hallmark of a good game.  Isolating out as many outside factors as possible so competition can be pure, so that as many of us as possible can compete in a fair manner.  Player versus Player.  Have you heard of the game Divekick?  That's a beautiful game.  Your entire moveset is move forward and backward, jump and kick ( from a jump ).  It condenses everything great about fighting games: footsies, baiting, trapping, into a pure form with no accessibility barriers.  You can't make an error in execution; as a result, everyone can play and compete in the same mindset as professional players.  Divekick is genius.

Blade & Soul's animation cancelling mechanic throws all of this out the window.

This is the best response so far, spoken from a man, not a tool.

No it wasnt carpal tunnel syndrome, well my hand didnt hurt at all, but it start shaking with no control, it reached a point that when i was in one intense 1 vs 1 duel, my hand started shaking so hard that i was hitting my keyboard with the whole hand, and even after i removed my hand from the keyboard, it keep shaking, also when i grab a fork or spoon while eating it used to shake lightly but my uncles noticed it, so ya i had to stop.

But i wont lie, to me, GunZ was the most exiting and fun game ever, the amount of player/glitch made skills were incredible fun and skill based game, i remember taking my time training with friends to learn how to use these moves in actual duels, the comunity was insanely friendly, if you didnt know something they could take 2 hours in a training room teaching the tricks, then once you learned them, was SO rewarding, it give a very confortable feeling of success that no action game has give me yet. (the other game that also made me feel exited was Dofus, but thats a strategy game where a smart low lvl could defeat a high lvl player just by out smarting them)

On 4/3/2016 at 3:54 AM, Rawrzory said:

I agree with the ping issue, but most likely when you make the action client side there is a whole other dimension of problems that will pop up all of a sudden (mainly cheat related stuff i can imagine). Still in the end it's a korean game and maybe this is one of many reasons we still don't have good optimization or 'ping' fixes. Over there it actually isn't a problem, but with us connecting all over the place it's starts to ... well being a problem. We need more localized servers for certain regions, but that would mean the population would even spread more thin then it is at the moment.

I don't think they will try to fix this or get it fixed either way. As said it's already a feature aswell so ... yeah not a whole lot thats gonna happen in that department. I was incredibly hyped about this game for years and now i actually get to play it. It makes me sad though that this game will have a very ninche crowd that can play it like it's supposed to work. That is IF it can keep the ninche crowd and with all the other problems that are not being adressed quick enough i doubt it.

I dont know if you know about the game RaiderZ, it was also very action based, almost exactly like BNS to be honest, it was Client side, and honestly the hackers were not one issue there, they get rid of them in no time and we didnt see hackers again, and honestly the only hack i knew in raiderz was the speed hack, and theres already speed hackers here in BnS, which mean that yes, that is not one excuse. Also in raiderz i could finish all my combos no stop with no issues, i was even able to reach close competitive lvls in the game with the very skilled players, i wasnt never the best at my class, but i could at least win a few times against the best players in the server, which i wont be able to perform here in BNS because the latency is a huge issue with Server Side...a single skill not responding mean instant dead.

One thing what most people fail to understand is. THERE is a difference between GOOD ani cancel and just inproper ani cancel.  Many many people in this game think they are doing a good animation cancel when in fact it takes more than that to perfectly execute a effective animation cancel. it is not about smashing actually, its about finding your own pace and rytthm. yes Ping has a big effect on it but most people aren't doing a proper animation canceling

A good change can be, instead of animation canceling, make the anicancel move it's own move. Almost like a macro, but it's an official macro. Then they can remove ani-cancels. Making damage more consistent, and less rng due to ping issues.

Imagine if you were in a tournament and your ping randomly spikes to like 100 from your usual 25 in the middle of your ani-cancel, which screws up your game winning combo.

I agree with the OP. Animation canceling would work well if it was a mechanic built into the game (just like how invulnerability skills are) that wasn't spammable. The only thing that keeping it around does is discourage players with higher pings when they are compared with animation-cancelling players who do overall better without actually necessarily being  anybetter.

It doesn't just affect PvP, either. You can see how players who are capable of animation cancelling are much more effective at beating the various enrage timers of boss fights. Players who can't animation cancel also can beat those thanks to gear upgrades, sure. But animation cancelling lets you bypass the intended gear requeriment. 

Plus, it comes with a design problem: what if the developers start thinking that animation cancelling should be the standard? Or that it is 'common enough' that encounters have to be balanced around it? Then players who can't do it are left on the sides not because they lack the skill or the commitment, but because the game decided that a broken non-mechanic should become a mechanic.

It is a bad idea to keep it in this game as it is, no matter how you look at it. Unless, of course, you are one of the guys who can pull it off. Then you are not going to want them to take out all that extra damage you can dish with what is essentially a legal exploit.

If the game had been released without animation cancelling the same people who are now defending the existence of the mechanic/bug would be defending its absence.

Sadly, it's way too late to remove it. The best that can be hoped for is that future fighting game devs pay heed to the case and acknowledge that badly thought out features they decided to leave in temporarily due to time and resource constraints may end up staying in forever as those features become worshiped by zealots who hate change.

On 3/4/2016 at 3:19 AM, PvPMS said:

I play Destroyer on max graphics on a laptop with college wifi, and I have absolutely no problem animation cancelling outside of world bosses. Using ping as an excuse to get rid of a core skill for destroyers is a joke. In fact, I find any game that doesn't implement clipping/animation cancelling for dps rather dry. If it bothers you so much, just play a class that isn't dependent on it for dps instead of trying to ruin the game for the rest of us.

lol, this guy is full of it.  The only thing I that can run Blade & Soul maxed out is a desktop because of the poor optimization.  So unless your laptop costs 2 grand and has a true desktop graphics card, I doubt what you say is true.  You also seem to think that every wifi speed is the same ( I don't have a problem with it, there for,  you're stupid if you do.)  What a mentality to have going into gaming.

2 minutes ago, 879309_1452550461 said:

lol, this guy is full of it.  The only thing I that can run Blade & Soul maxed out is a desktop because of the poor optimization.  So unless your laptop costs 2 grand and has a true desktop graphics card, I doubt what you say is true.  You also seem to think that every wifi speed is the same ( I don't have a problem with it, there for,  you're stupid if you do.)  What a mentality to have going into gaming.

You're severely underestimating how powerful gaming laptops have gotten in the past year.

it's game feuture, if you can't do it just quit this game, whining wont change anything, not every game is made for all, you would probably also cry about starcraft, where apm means a lot.. this is not casual game.. im pretty sure most of ppl who cry here play with classic mode lol

2 hours ago, 879309_1452550461 said:

There's always that one guy in Blade and Soul who thinks his personal opinions trumps everyone else's. NYU is known for having unreliable wifi, so much so that I have to switch to my cellphone's hotspot periodically, which works even better than the wifi because I have verizon. Price isn't the issue, it's how outdated your laptop or computer is. My laptop cost less than a macbook, around 1.1k, and it can run anything on max graphics just fine. Here, since I pity you for not being capable of googling a decent laptop, I'll link you to mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7XRH2A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Ani-cancelling also looks dumb if not by mechanic, is like in a gunslinger duel, while my hand reached the holstered gun and shot is already fired at opponents head. Is just look dumb no matter how you call that is a skill lol

2 hours ago, Zel said:

You're severely underestimating how powerful gaming laptops have gotten in the past year.

Ah, gaming notebooks.  This year is going to be the year guys.  The year when they're finally decent.  I know I said that in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 aaannnnnnddddd 2015, but this year, it's gonna be different.

2 hours ago, Kazna said:

it's game feuture, if you can't do it just quit this game, whining wont change anything, not every game is made for all, you would probably also cry about starcraft, where apm means a lot.. this is not casual game.. im pretty sure most of ppl who cry here play with classic mode lol

Animation cancelling was an accident.  In StarCraft, every action is the consequence of a decision.  In Blade & Soul, animation cancelling is filler.  There are zero consequences for performing animation cancelling, but consequences for not performing animation cancelling.  There's no decision there, it's just what you do just because.

It's grease.  It's lard.  It tastes good, but it's shit.  Anybody with two neurons to rub together should be able to reach that same conclusion.

Wow... what does it feel like to be so wrong?

10 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Ah, gaming notebooks.  This year is going to be the year guys.  The year when they're finally decent.  I know I said that in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 aaannnnnnddddd 2015, but this year, it's gonna be different.

I know that pain. But, the 6th Gen Intel cores have improved performance over the previous models by leaps and bounds. 

1 minute ago, Jishinka said:

My main's a Destroyer and I never ani-canceled nor do I feel the need (yet).

The whole notion of it is silly and makes no sense at all. Shame it seems to be here to stay. :/

Your DPS is literally garbage as a Destroyer if you don't LMB/RMB anicancel. It's your only source.

4 minutes ago, Zel said:

Your DPS is literally garbage as a Destroyer if you don't LMB/RMB anicancel. It's your only source.

I'm not max leveled yet, nor do I feel the need to be on top of the dps chain. I don't find it to be that "garbagy" though (could be wrong - no idea)...

However, playing with RMB/LMB like a crazy parkinson patient is not my idea of fun... I like using other skills in my rotation (besides, I have no desire to develop carpal).

As long as I feel I'm pulling my own weight I'm fine not being "top notch".

i totally agree, theres no reason why someone who's able to micro and macro better than me should be better than me in starcraft, i mean, i know what they are doing and i know what i should be doing, why should the fact that I am unable to split micro marines cause me to get deleted by banelings, right?

is there a time where you would not want to be producing units/mining resources in a RTS? is there a time when you would not want to kill minions for gold in MOBA games? yet here we are, doing all these things manually. 

what the actual eff? FPS games arent latency dependent? moba games arent latency dependent? Maybe not at the lower levels but if we are talking about competitive play it always matters because what it comes down to is reaction speed, you see how many pro players waste their cleanse or QSS because riot moved servers to chicago and they are no longer used to playing under native ping just this season?

even fighting games have tier lists, playes do start off an equal playing field, no one is forcing you to play a certain class, you roll whatever you want, if that happens to be FoTM then thats what you play, you had the choice.

you can say animation cancelling is dumb,

or you can look at it from another perspective, which is that the game is designed upon the skills being allowed to be used in rapid succession, the animation is just incapable of speeding up the frames to match the action.

How much skill does stutter stepping take? 

How much skill does last hitting minions in league of legends take? 

game mechanics exist for a reason, because no one wants to see two competitive players just say

Well if I press B you will counter with A, so I will press C and then your A is pointless.  <- this is essentially the gist of meta games

There's not a single FPS game that i've played where latency doesn't significantly affect game play.

However, that doesnt mean FPS games suck does it?

tl;dr i can appreciate the fact that you find animation cancelling to be pointless

just as you must appreciate the fact that no decent players would find this to be hindering their game play.

On 3/4/2016 at 4:00 AM, Meerkat said:

*loud noises and tantrums*

You may think ani cancelling is dumb but it's a useful game mechanic. You say it adds nothing to the game but i beg to differ. It increases your dps which is "Damage per second" i:e how much damage you can output per actual second..  right? So clearly if you're pumping out more damage per second your DPS is going up .. following me here?

Anyways DCUO has animation cancelling as well and it is quite useful. You could really pump up the DPS (Damage Per Second). Age of conan had ani cancelling for awhile but so many people whined and cried about it because they couldn't do it. So the devs added measures to prevent it. To a degree it worked but people found other ways to ani cancel like jumping and attacking in midair. Some people consider this exploiting. to each their own. I don't see how ani cancelling in BnS is a bad thing. If you don't like it then simply don't do it.. Brilliant solution i think.

11 minutes ago, Jishinka said:

I'm not max leveled yet, nor do I feel the need to be on top of the dps chain. I don't find it to be that "garbagy" though (could be wrong - no idea)...

However, playing with RMB/LMB like a crazy parkinson patient is not my idea of fun... I like using other skills in my rotation (besides, I have no desire to develop carpal).

As long as I feel I'm pulling my own weight I'm fine not being "top notch".

I suggest you change classes and I'm not saying this because "omg wtf noob don't ani cancel GTFO" type reasons.

Ani cancel LMB/RMB combo is core to the class, in fact if someone was to tell me that the entire class was built from the grounds up just to do that I would believe them.

Not being top notch would be the least of your problems, pulling your own weight, soloing bosses in Mushin or just anywhere would be a complete nightmare as destroyer literally has the worst dps in the entire game without animation cancel. I cannot stress this enough, leveling you might not see the problem yet but as you start branching into end game dungeons and Mushin tower, you would start to feel the pain as you hit enrage timers.

I myself already jumped ship from the class, ever since the update that made my ping a lot worse than it already is, I couldn't even do pseudo animation cancel anymore (I call 250 ping animation cancel pseudo since nothing is really being cancelled), it is a dreadful experience it sucks because I like destroyer class as well but I do pretty much everything else better as an FM even with this lagfest I am experiencing.

2 minutes ago, Laethiel said:

You may think ani cancelling is dumb but it's a useful game mechanic. You say it adds nothing to the game but i beg to differ. It increases your dps which is "Damage per second" i:e how much damage you can output per actual second..  right? So clearly if you're pumping out more damage per second your DPS is going up .. following me here?

Anyways DCUO has animation cancelling as well and it is quite useful. You could really pump up the DPS (Damage Per Second). Age of conan had ani cancelling for awhile but so many people whined and cried about it because they couldn't do it. So the devs added measures to prevent it. To a degree it worked but people found other ways to ani cancel like jumping and attacking in midair. Some people consider this exploiting. to each their own. I don't see how ani cancelling in BnS is a bad thing. If you don't like it then simply don't do it.. Brilliant solution i think.

I...think you are lost, he clearly know everything you said there, this topic is about something else, not talking if it is useful or not, because it clearly is useful.

Archived