PvE Wise FM vs Warlock vs Destro

Smoq

I wouldn't go with Destroyer if you want a good PvE class. Damage is mediocre, durability is extremely low, equipment builds are awkward due to split between AoE damage element (Shadow) and single-target damage element (Earth). Melee classes are punished in some dungeon and world boss content, and Destroyers have a bonus weakness in their inability to deal with boss attacks effectively. BD is worse, I suppose, but Destroyer doesn't really give many good reasons to bring it along right now. When people do, it will be for grab support in dungeons. Warlocks tend to be more versatile with soulburn for groups and range for not getting blown up by shoddy design. FMs are more specialized DPS machines. Both are good, but I'd take Warlock if you want a general good PvE class for everything. Summoners are good too, but since you didn't mention them, I suppose they are not in the running?

Summoners are too "cute"... I can't bring myself to play cute Lyn with even cuter familiar, it's not my thing.

Hmm... you say meele have disadantages, but it's BM, Assasin and KFM that can solo almost everything right now?

Thanks for answer I thought there will never be one :D.

11 hours ago, HUnewearl said:

I wouldn't go with Destroyer if you want a good PvE class. Damage is mediocre, durability is extremely low, equipment builds are awkward due to split between AoE damage element (Shadow) and single-target damage element (Earth). Melee classes are punished in some dungeon and world boss content, and Destroyers have a bonus weakness in their inability to deal with boss attacks effectively. BD is worse, I suppose, but Destroyer doesn't really give many good reasons to bring it along right now. When people do, it will be for grab support in dungeons. Warlocks tend to be more versatile with soulburn for groups and range for not getting blown up by shoddy design. FMs are more specialized DPS machines. Both are good, but I'd take Warlock if you want a general good PvE class for everything. Summoners are good too, but since you didn't mention them, I suppose they are not in the running?

I take exception to the fact that destroyer builds are awkward. Very few people use the Shadow builds and Typhoon spin is all you really need for aoe damage. Your single target ani-cancel is more than enough to tear through individual mobs quickly.

PvE wise, Destroyer is all about CC, grabs, and short burst damage. You can mix and match i-frames, stuns, dazes, and knockdowns. For instance I have 3 stuns, 2 knockdowns, 1 daze + Typhoon daze, and 3 iframes + SS. Your grab gives focus regen plus increasing crit chance every hit.

The damage is only mediocre if you don't know how to ani-cancel or focus regen. You are designed for quick burst of damage with Fury which is very useful against bosses that are really vulnerable for a brief period (see Be Ido).

You can tank some bosses with destro to an extent. You have a parry in spin put your blocking and i-framing is far more limited than BM or KFM.

18 hours ago, Smoq said:

Summoners are too "cute"... I can't bring myself to play cute Lyn with even cuter familiar, it's not my thing.

Hmm... you say meele have disadantages, but it's BM, Assasin and KFM that can solo almost everything right now?

Thanks for answer I thought there will never be one :D.

Anyone can solo most content right now. Assassins usually solo some things easily because most opponents don't see through stealth, meaning infinite stealth rotation lets them auto-win. Their high DPS is just icing on the cake, though they do much more if they run group spec. Stealth cheese doesn't work versus, say, Blackwyrm. KFM and BM solo things well because they're tanks with potent defensive actions. Destroyer is mainly around for CC.

6 hours ago, Rockbridge said:

I take exception to the fact that destroyer builds are awkward. Very few people use the Shadow builds and Typhoon spin is all you really need for aoe damage. Your single target ani-cancel is more than enough to tear through individual mobs quickly.

PvE wise, Destroyer is all about CC, grabs, and short burst damage. You can mix and match i-frames, stuns, dazes, and knockdowns. For instance I have 3 stuns, 2 knockdowns, 1 daze + Typhoon daze, and 3 iframes + SS. Your grab gives focus regen plus increasing crit chance every hit.

The damage is only mediocre if you don't know how to ani-cancel or focus regen. You are designed for quick burst of damage with Fury which is very useful against bosses that are really vulnerable for a brief period (see Be Ido).

You can tank some bosses with destro to an extent. You have a parry in spin put your blocking and i-framing is far more limited than BM or KFM.

People don't use Shadow builds because you have to give up single-target DPS and solo capability and PvP capability to go that route. You very well might go Shadow if you were hyper-specialized for group dungeon play, but basically no-one is anyhow. Not bloody worth the trouble. As for DPS, Destroyer is near the bottom -- their sole strength is the burst from Fury. Otherwise, they're flat-out behind everything but BD and maybe tanks (you can argue that a tanking tank will actually out-damage a Destroyer in practice). FM and Warlock are both well above Destroyer in damage. The reason Destroyer has burst focus is because it is meant for grab support, during which it cannot deal significant damage on its own. This is also why Power Slam leads to Wrath.

I'm not arguing outright that Destroyer is a bad class, but if OP wants to PvE all the things, he's better suited to a more versatile class like Warlock.

Also, t3s2 Typhoon is stun, not daze. You generally are not going to spec pull Blitz (except for mobbing) or Drag for PvE -- and if you did, you'd have to un-count them from stun and knockdown, not to mention that neither work against bosses at all. Your only daze is going to be Knee unless you for some reason spec daze Gust for PvE. You have one iframe ability of note for PvE, and that's Searing Strike. It's rare to spec 3 points into Ram for the immunity there, and you're not going to blow Fury just for iframes.

Archived