This class is a joke.

Silvanthis

I hit 45 on my Warlock earlier today and maybe its just me but I was heavily impressed and pleased with it and have already worked towards gearing it up better to eventually main it. Thus leaving my Summoner to just grind Zen Beans for Soulstones.

I understand the frustration though, especially when killing several mobs at once which was an issue I struggled with whilst levelling. AoE skills and abilities are great but I just feel too darn squishy! I'm sure this will change when I get a better Soul Shield though :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While i leveled my lock (@40 now but cant play due to having nightshift T_T), i tested Arena once for daylies. 9 wins later (without a single loss ofc - 2 of them were bots) i became gold at lvl33. Also i am not a good player - i'm struggling to not lose my gold on my Main BM, so just you know how bad my personal skill is.

I don't even have time warp yet and it scares me to think of it. The WL is curretly not "shit"

And for PvE: it's just great! i mean, i will remain Main BM. But i see no lacks so far.

2 hours ago, Pumpkin said:

I hit 45 on my Warlock earlier today and maybe its just me but I was heavily impressed and pleased with it and have already worked towards gearing it up better to eventually main it. Thus leaving my Summoner to just grind Zen Beans for Soulstones.

I understand the frustration though, especially when killing several mobs at once which was an issue I struggled with whilst levelling. AoE skills and abilities are great but I just feel too darn squishy! I'm sure this will change when I get a better Soul Shield though :)

I have a summoner aswel, don't you feel like you are cutting yourself for swapping to WL?

There is literally nothing my summoner can't do, while the Warlock feels like I'm gimping myself asking to have a harder time for nothing in return. Specially when I think about soloing harder content, I wanted to see the class, but I regret even starting the leveling process. I'm at 41 now btw.

You are going to run into situations where you will lose as a Warlock while the Summoner would survive.

I feel like my WL does nothing better, but is more squishy. My summoner might not have as big of numbers, but I can assure you, the DPS is not less when you compare it in a more fair manner, as in a longer time frame of DPSing and not just look at the big crits and be like, WHOA DPPPPPSSSSS.

In essence, when I think about Boss fights the Warlock is not the best DPS. They are not the weakest either, don't get me wrong, I would say they are even. Conclusion: DPS = even, Defensives = lacking, Mobilty=lacking

You are less mobile, are easy to die, but don't do more DMG to make up for it by beeing the best DPS. This is a really bad unrewarding feeling. As a Warlock you are going to have a much harder time clearing things compared to a summoner.

I had a main Scummoner and I don't regret switching to Warlock.  If anything I feel like playing Warlock is far more rewarding as I'm not just spamming Sunflower and Rumblebees to dps.  

The main difference is not having the cat, but as I have experience in most of the other classes, more recently BM, I feel that having Quell and using is correctly is just as good.  The Thrall is meh but will have its uses later on.  I don't think I'll use it for damage as I see it has a mild threat path so I can use it to drag mobs off me or to start the fight.  There are enough damage mitigation skills and insta-cast combo's to help with damage reduction and dpsing at the same time.

Granted, I will still keep my Scummoner for soulstone/zen bean grinding and general mischief but I feel I will excel in a class that really gets my mind working on how to get the best out of it in a variety of situations.

personally i am more dps than pve , and i heard than summ is trash in end game content because of hongmoon skill , the knowledge of the class .

So stay summ was not good idea , so i thought of make a warlock because of the old video of the championship where warlock fight fm .

So my opinion , the warlock has a normal dps slow but big number  , more way to survey pvp than summ who has only one escape .

the trall with his height and skill can be usefull in some situation but a S S is enough to flee him he doesn't move oh himself. 

But in pve warlock is more hard , the trash is stupid it will always attack the same mob than you , the Q and E has cooldown and E onyl work when you are immobile so it's a bad point , he can't tank . Personnally i don't have so much difficulty in pve but i need more break for recover than with summ where i take monter slowly but without break .

Warlock has not heal or i have not see this i am lvl 37

So for now warlock is not what some people thought he is not invincible , personnaly i find th eclass a little weak in defense , even though quell is not bad .

The defense of the Warlock is quite good - you just have to skill and use it.

Quell - is a great defense even without skilling it

Bastion - skilled it it a 5sec iframe for up to 5 attacks *ouch*

Sactum - T3F3 makes you untargetable for 6 sec as long as you stay in the circle

And for CC

Soul Shackle - Aoe Snare - what cant reach you, cant hurt you

Tether Blade - Aoe Knockdown for up to 3 sec

Gravity Well - Thrall takes it all - skilled its even more annoying

Void Slash - Knockup on CC'ed targets

Onrush - Taunt if skilled and some more extras if you want it.

And that combined with tons of sustain such as a skilled Wingstorm gives you tons of survivablity.

As someone who has a 45 FM, Destroyer and BM, I can say Warlock has been pretty fun for me. Even tried some pvp earlier today:

R6VtNLU.jpg

For right now, I don't really need my Thrall in pve but it works wonders in PvP along with the position swap when you're CC'd. I like calling it back to interrupt targetable skills as well. It really does feel like I have the tools I need to win most match ups so far. Even beat a few 45s that weren't bots (BD, Destroyer that had actual gear, KFM). As of now, I'm level 35. Maybe this will change (at least in pvp) once people figure out what we do though.

Of all the classes WL feels the most fluid for me. It hits hard and pierces harder. Yeah, I have to stay still to cast but not if I spec right nor is an issue if I time it right. 

Overall the only grip I have had was joking about having my Thrall out like a summoner and naming him.

Yah, the class is total joke so far. Thrall is absolutely useless, I'm not even talking about PvP, heh, even in PvE, with all points invested in Summon, to increase Thrall's attack power, it takes him forever to kill even a regular overland mob.., what the freaking point even summoning it, if I can kill this mob in a second with 2 RMBs. What a cruel joke.

Class got almost zero synergy between its skills. Almost no variety in DPS model.  The Dragoncall is one of the worst designed skills in MMO history, no kidding.

And yeah, I'm still running around with several unassigned build points, because options available varies from bad to worse, I can't even choose where to invest these...

Lol hate to be that guy but ya gotta learn the class mechanics. And u have 2 playstyles: caster and sniper. The standing still is more of dragon call and corrresponding ice skills. The sniper is helix and corresponding shadow skills. The thrall is just utility. I hardly use it other than for party buffs or timewarp while soloing. 

It is a cooldown management class. You maximize ur dps by getting your skills to reset as often as possible. 4 is literally ur main nuke. U use all other skills to fire it off instant cast or to at least cut the cooldown. U gotta read the tooltips and chain ur combos accordingly.

Granted it is confusing at the start. But its learnable. Like...u shud only be using 4 on insta cast for either call or helix. U shud rarely be limited to casting 4 with 2.5 seconds. 

13 hours ago, Pumpkin said:

lol ? i couldnt pull all of the maps in leveling areas, mobs kept resetting but ... its not possible to die on warlock when you level up. Unless you re really doing it wrong

Unfortunately, the title is accurate.

- Warlocks are seemingly more fragile than Forcemasters, with none of the ease of control or raw damage they can pump out, nor a reliable way to keep enemies back like freeze can do.

- The autoattack is weak and not even as fluid as FM's despite being about as fast. It also cannot be traited, save for the third part of the combo. The RMB hits harder but has a slight cast time on it, and while it can be traited to either cast instantly or have a small AoE with HP recovery, these options still don't feel good enough compared to other classes options to make up for Warlock's frailty.

- Their harder hitting skills require they either stand in place, have a cast time/delay, or both. Not ideal with the fragility this class has. Soul Shackle is okay for snaring and setting up Imprison/Dragoncall, but has too log a cooldown to be reliable for anything else. Imprison stacks bleed and does some nice damage, but you have to stand completely still for the whole thing, and enemies can just walk out of it unless snared before (and even then they'll get out by the 3rd/4th hit) Dragoncall hits hard but is too slow to use in most normal situations without being hit. The 4th hit of Imprison is supposed to speed it up, but all it does is remove the cast time standing still (and even then, using Imprison itself for the 4th hit has you standing still longer), while the attack itself still delays for the normal cast time before hitting.

- Aside from Quell, their defensive options are lacking. Once you find yourself up against 3 or more opponents, you'll be caught in a position where you cannot block them all and fight back without getting hit a lot. Repulse can push them back...except that once enemies start using approach skills, they can get right back on you. Quell can be traited to recover HP, but the regen is utterly lacking compared to the benefits that Bladmaster's Block and even KFM's Counter can give, and you are stuck still while blocking, just like BM.

- The Thrall is almost useless in any situation where you actually need it. It also takes away the Q and E, normally used for dodges/i-frames, for a skill that lets it move once and a skill that returns it to you...I think. I never used these.

While I did handle most normal encounters fine, it felt clunky compared to other classes I've used in the past, and once i tried soloing Blackram Narrows around entry level, something I have done on Blademaster and Forcemaster (albeit with some difficulty on the latter at the last two boss fights), Warlock's weaknesses became too apparent.

I will point out something major within NC Soft History.

Wildstar-all about mobile combat, except one class. That one class was called the Esper, it had to stand still to dps. It did crappy dps, and in a game about movement, was a stupid idea. Fast forward 3 months when they lost half the player base, and decided to make Espers mobile.

Now we have somewhat of the same *cricket* issue. I don't mind stationary dps, however is I have to stand the *cricket* still, you better make damn sure my abilities are hitting like a boeing 747 on fire with a couple nukes packaged inside.

Warlock is the most fragile class. Our auto attack is shit, and can only be specced for utility.

The RMB is shit.

The thrall, is the dumbest part of this class currently, it's like the devs wanted to make a cool summoner, but shit on the idea, and then served it to us.

Sure the abilities chain nicely together, but the class is clunky, and crappy. They have had months with KR to see these issues, and still they gave us a half assed class.

4 hours ago, Nilkemios said:

- Warlocks are seemingly more fragile than Forcemasters, with none of the ease of control or raw damage they can pump out, nor a reliable way to keep enemies back like freeze can do.

I dont know what you mean - surely you just missed the point of Soul Shackle and Nether Blade which are instant AoE CC's and allow s you to freely cast Imprison, Wingstorm or Dragon Call (or combinations likle Imprison into instant Dragon Call(DC) or Wingstorm(WS))

- The autoattack is weak and not even as fluid as FM's despite being about as fast. It also cannot be traited, save for the third part of the combo. The RMB hits harder but has a slight cast time on it, and while it can be traited to either cast instantly or have a small AoE with HP recovery, these options still don't feel good enough compared to other classes options to make up for Warlock's frailty.

The LMB is simply meant for Focusregeneration - it's not a FM, there are other classes to that tend to rarely skill their LMB. Regarding the RMB - you can skill it the right path into instant and just cast LMB->RMB->LMB->RMB->repeat to use the LMB to get the chagreup of the RMB timed and used.

Also - That it has casttime(unless you mark the target) doesn't mean you cant move. You can simply kite enemy by running and just jump -> turn around midair, RMB and turn forward again to keep running. The RMB will still fire backwards. (You can dothis with the triggered F aswell ofc)

Also dont forget your Thrall - he can AOE taunt (on Q if skilled) and sucks enemys close to him - if skilled it's even harder. You can also skill stun and knockup etc.

- Their harder hitting skills require they either stand in place, have a cast time/delay, or both. Not ideal with the fragility this class has. Soul Shackle is okay for snaring and setting up Imprison/Dragoncall, but has too log a cooldown to be reliable for anything else. Imprison stacks bleed and does some nice damage, but you have to stand completely still for the whole thing, and enemies can just walk out of it unless snared before (and even then they'll get out by the 3rd/4th hit) Dragoncall hits hard but is too slow to use in most normal situations without being hit. The 4th hit of Imprison is supposed to speed it up, but all it does is remove the cast time standing still (and even then, using Imprison itself for the 4th hit has you standing still longer), while the attack itself still delays for the normal cast time before hitting.

You are supposed to trigger the instant casts as often as possible to you can keep moving while firing - one easy way is to brand with Soul Shackle or a skilled (1point) Nether Blade into Leech into instant WS and/or DC

If you want to play way more mobile, try out the Dragon Helix-specc. it plays totaly different but you are very mobile

- Aside from Quell, their defensive options are lacking. Once you find yourself up against 3 or more opponents, you'll be caught in a position where you cannot block them all and fight back without getting hit a lot. Repulse can push them back...except that once enemies start using approach skills, they can get right back on you. Quell can be traited to recover HP, but the regen is utterly lacking compared to the benefits that Bladmaster's Block and even KFM's Counter can give, and you are stuck still while blocking, just like BM.

You dont want a ranged burstcaster with the melee defense-capabilites of a BM/KFM... Quell is for a meant-to-be-squishy-caster absolute great and skills like Bastion and Sanctum with the proper skills adds alot to this. But still, better use your controllskills

- The Thrall is almost useless in any situation where you actually need it. It also takes away the Q and E, normally used for dodges/i-frames, for a skill that lets it move once and a skill that returns it to you...I think. I never used these.

If you dont skill it and/or control it, it is useless. but then again he can do many things like: AOE taunt, AOE stun, AOE Slow(80%!), AOE "suckin", AOE Knockback, AOE Brand, AOE Focusregen, AOE Damage Buff, Insane Burst on grabbed targets, AOE explosion, AOE CD-Reset, AOE Soulburn.

I'm sure i have forgotten something of what it can - but yeah, the Thrall is absolut useless^^

Every class is meant to be played and to be felt different, so dont wonder if exactly this happens and just leanr a bit about what the WL can.

The wl is complicated yes. Bcus its a cooldown management class. That is its unique strength. Unlike the fm, you do not rely on sustained dmg. Unlike the summ you dont have a partner to help you. You are ur own toolkit. U hav cc and escapes available to you and if u can abuse ur skills correctly you should not need the escapes. 

I prefer speccing into instacast skills cus thats how I like to lvl. But both dragon call and helix builds are viable. Sorry but if you're "casting" dragon call too often then something is off. Ur meant to turn ur burst dmg into near sustained dmg. By utilizing cooldown reduction which are passives on various skills. 

It is a love/hate class but I'll admit I hated the fm compared to wl cus I could not block :p I dislike kiting with the fm >< and I am likely also missing something for that class. But for me wl has everything I cud want in a class. I consider ity one stop shop. Or like a ranged bm. (Block and burst :)

Currently enjoying the class. Started with a summoner and it's fun to use a class whose chief dps isn't ani-cancel mouse clicks.

I do have a question though. Keep hearing defenders of the class say things like "if you're casting dragoncall too much, you're doing it wrong." Maybe I'm just not familiar with the skills yet being only lvl 24, but I can't think of all that many which let you instant cast the skill. Heck, most common one that allows instant cast requires more time and planning than straight up casting it. Anyone mind filling me in?

Edit: Apparently during siphon buff it's instant cast. Any ways besides this? What are you doing while leech is on cd?

the thrall can be of some use i am suprised .

Personnally i think the thrall useless , i used some skill point for trash skill but see no difference , no tank , no dps , nothing at all .

i agree he can give buff but for pvp he is useless and can do nothing , SS is enough to dodge the trash , and the dps is peanuts

No use in PvP? doesn't Knockback/down/up and/or Stun doesnt have it's use in PvP? Maybe you're playing a different game. Also - i think (but cant't verifiy righ now) that you can control your Thrall while being CC'ed(Q and E) - that means, that you not only can use your Void Walk escape, but can also stun/knockback your opponent while he is hitting you.

The only purpose in case of DPS besides the buffs is see is for PvE the Netherpulse if you have someone who grabs the target for you

Honestly, i start to believe, that the guys, calling the class weak and screaming for more damage are just trolls - i simply can't imagine that anyone is truly this bad at playing that he can't even utilize the abilities to at least  a mediocre level, which would be by far enough to stomp everything you face while leveling and faceroll into gold in the arena...

I have grinded the warlock to 40+ right now, it feels weak, everything I do feels like I'm fighting a boss. Thrall is good for nothing the "DPS boost" cannot be seen. Cooldowns are long as hell which means fighting against mobs needs you  to pull the full combo of at least with 2.3.4.v.4.rclick.4

Now I can admit that in area Warlock has some use, but it all can be countered wait too easily but the overall damage is shit.

Warlock is in desperate need for damage buffs to make it useful in the late game dungeons not just a waste of space in a party.

2 hours ago, Kenshiro13 said:

I have grinded the warlock to 40+ right now, it feels weak, everything I do feels like I'm fighting a boss. Thrall is good for nothing the "DPS boost" cannot be seen. Cooldowns are long as hell which means fighting against mobs needs you  to pull the full combo of at least with 2.3.4.v.4.rclick.4

Now I can admit that in area Warlock has some use, but it all can be countered wait too easily but the overall damage is shit.

Warlock is in desperate need for damage buffs to make it useful in the late game dungeons not just a waste of space in a party.

I've never felt my warlock is "weak".  Are you upgrading your gear as you go?

Archived