Things in skillbook that confused me

Crum1515

This is by no means meant for advanced players, it's relatively simple things that took me more than 2 seconds to figure out, a few things I learned by digging into the terrible terrible translation of the warlock skill book, and bouncing it off the translated bnstree skill list, and some other forum post by players from the other regions.  Hopefully this helps you out, I may update it more if I find something that my dense self had a hard time understanding.

In NA skillbook abilities have triggered effects or buffs when used "during Siphon", example RMB skill Dimensional Volley T3S4.  The F skill Leach is what activates Siphon.  What confused me is that the other regions call this Overpowered, and their skill states "user gains overpowered for 12 secs", whereas the NA version simple states "Siphon for 12 secs".  Reading the NA I thought it sounded like a debuff but reading the bnstree is sounded like a buff.

Some abilities are modified or changed by "Spectral Orbs".  These are generated from abilities like F skill Leach and V skill Wingstorm.  The other region translations call them "Demon Orbs".

So some of the warlock abilities off Branding or Marking your target, this is what it is called in the other regions.  And applying this to your target either buffs some skills damage, or makes RMB skill Bombardment insta cast..

So "Branding" is done by two skills: 2 skill Soul Shackle and X skill Tether Blade. This was easy to understand in the NA skill book.

Branding increases the damage of 3 skill Imprison T3S1 and V skill Wingstorm T3S1.

"Marking" as it was called in other regions is translated in NA to "Target", and it is applied by F skill Rupture, Tab skill Summon T3S1. and the 4 skill Dragoncall.  This makes RMB Bombardment instant cast.  Where I got confused is the English version refers to this as Target, so the skills will say "Target for 2 seconds" or "Target for 0.8 seconds" - you can see the RMB Bombardment has the attribute "Cast instantly Target location".  That just means that when you mark the target with... target, it is instant cast at the target(marked) target.

This is purely conjecture from reading, but I have not tried it in game, will edit when I do:

The Nether Pulse ability is triggered when you target(mark) an enemy, causing the Thrall to cast it, I garner this from the text "Familiar Used Automatically Target location".  Familiar is what the Thrall is called in the other regions when translated, and the "Target" I am assuming means the Targer(mark) placed by F skill Rupture, Tab skill Summon T3S1. and the 4 skill Dragoncall.

Please correct me if I am mistaken about anything, and if you have a source to link to that explains it better then I would love to read it, just trying to wrap my head around this a little better.  And if you have anything "ah-ha" you figured out I would love to hear that as well.

Thanks!

I'm also confused as hell, had no idea how the spectral orbs were created, I don't even have  leach or wingstorm and I could swear they were coming up when I was level 7...

Also have no idea how Dragon Helix works? I can spec into it but I can't use it...

Skills for all classes are horrible in B & S.   You know NCWest has embraced failure when a fan site does a better job with English skill descriptions than the game itself.  It's as if there's no one at NCWest who knows what class skills do well enough to provide better descriptions to the Korean developers.  All we get is some nonsense about how it's complicated.

Thanks a lot for explaining this. Trying to read through the skill book just confuses the hell outa me; basically nothing is explained in a comprehensive way, which seems to be the same for classes like KFM and BD, from what I've seen.

Dimensional Volley is a complete mess, it reads: 

"Dimensional Charge(pink) is available after using Dimensional Volley(red)" (DC(pink) is available to cast without using focus for roughly 1 sec after casting DV(red), DC(pink) does about half the damage of DV(red))

"After using Dimensional Charge(pink), Dimensional Salvo(blue) is available for 1 sec" (Apparently this is just a straight up lie, because after using DC(pink) it switches back to DV(red); in order to use DS(blue) you must wait for 1 sec after casting DV(red) (in other words don't cast DC(pink)), it switches to DS(blue), which does double(?) the damage of DV(red) at no focus cost) ( DS(blue) also readies Rupture on hit)

For reference: The time you need to wait after using DV(red) is 2 LMB hits before DS(blue) is available to cast)

So it's RMB (DC) - LMB - LMB - RMB (DS)

Yeah the Dimensional Volley tool tip is what made me start to dig around, and then the tool tips that say "Target for 2 Seconds" were extremely bad.  I thought it was like a taunt or agro at first haha... come to find out its a mark that makes bombardment instant.

I totally understand why its all messed up, the system they are using for the tooltips is terrible, but its still no excuse.  They effectively released a "heroic" version of the game that you need to go watch youtube videos and read guides to understand, but instead of mechanics you are preparing for the tool tips.  Haha.

Once you figure it out and feel the synergy though it feels pretty good.

Yep, NCWest has now shown that their localization team not only butchers any dialogue that "makes them uncomfortable," they're also completely incompetent at the technical translations. 0/10 overall.

• 1 month later...

I must give thanks to the topic creator for giving this conjectural yet very sensible explanation on how these skills work. Especially since I'm a newbie to BnS and started playing 4 days ago.

From simply reading the Martial Tome I had absolutely no clue how to get Spectral Orbs or what Branding did or what "Target for X secs" meant.

Now I really have to try these things out and see what happens, with this info in mind it ought to be a lot easier to understand.

And that probably means I'll have to reset my training points. Good thing resetting them is free of charge.

I actually gave up understanding what they wanted to say at Dimensional Volley discription even to this day that wall of text confuses the crap out of me.

Can't wait for that new class to comes out gona be interesting reading that stuff again.

Archived