Forums

How to deal with BD as a Destroyer

So i started pvping with my destroyer (lvl 45 - HM 1) a few days ago and little by little I have learned to deal with most classes unless the opponent is a way better player or I am just too bored to do things proper. I've learned to fight almost all classes and counter them most of the time.

All except BD.

I just ... I just ...

Well, I can beat most BD's, but even the average ones require really good timing on my part, and them *cricket*ing up repeatedly.

It seems to me that the BD is just a way better version of a destroyer : 

1. Their air combos don't require focus so they can spin without actually backfiring on them (I run out of focus, I am a dead fish)
  2. 5 seconds damage immunity
  3. Even if they *cricket* up, they can break out of my grab without wasting their tab, while I have to keep my tab for their phantom grip
  4. Their air combos are impossible to break out of once they land, and with a bit of timing can be made really freaking long by chaining skills and stuns
  5. Their daze skill seems to be better since I takes 2 or 3 tries before I am able to use my F (backflip or whatever) to get out of it
  6. Their phantom grip can grab instantly after the 0.5 deflect of the blue spin

At this point, I just don't see a way to beat even medium skilled BD's, since all they have to do is either stay further and just dance outside my range and dodge my Ram and Charge with their Q and E, while either waiting for me to run out of focus of slip up and put me in an air combo, then again stay away till their CD is off.

I just dropped from platinum rank after getting four blade dancers in a row, and I swear the only way to win is if they manage to *cricket* up 3-4 times real bad.

I struggle timing my Ram and Blitz to hit when their blue spin ends but even then they just phase it off with either Q or E since both of these are so slow and obvious that they are easy to dodge.

Any tips from higher level Destroyers on how to deal with them?

P.S. : Don't give me the red spin, any non-mentally retarded bunny can just backstep and run out of range of it.

P.S. 2 : I have tried using the search option on this forum to find similar posts hoping to find some help, but it seems like there arent any or the search function is broken, so dont cry at me about making a "cry topic" or whatever the hell you troll use now. I just need info. Thanks in advance.

Im going to assume youre fighting the annoying version of BD - which runs the 3 resist skills and then stalls until their cooldowns are back up.

The only way to deal with this is to just be super aggressive. Once their 3 resists are down you must be all over them. They will most likely run or try to grab you to stall time for their cooldowns once all their resist skills are used.

Make sure to change your (1) to the daze since it goes through spin. If they decide to tech this or your (Z) pull which also dazes, tech chase them with either (2) or with the other daze you havent used yet to try and force an escape.

You should never waste your tab getting out of their grab. Spec your tab to also daze and learn to counter their long animation sword skill while grabbed with (2) if they choose to use that.

Reason being - lets say their escape is down and they get a grab on you. They let you drop and commit to a stun on you close range. Your tab will daze them - if they roll back and you catch their tech with your other dazes (1) or (Z)  or quick stun (2) or (V), you can continue to CC chain them to death.

Practice the tech chase,  it is a major boost to your pvp game.

They are using Soaring Falcon (blade toss) to constantly regenerate focus -- 100% per 9 seconds spread over the duration. You cannot deflect this, but you can iframe it. Their combo isn't as cheap as you think it is; they just have incredible regeneration. The aerial combo is 4 focus (40%) to use. Note that they also cannot act while Soaring Falcon is being used, and Ram and Knee are faster than the return on the blade, so if their tab is down and you see that blade come out, you may be able to punish. Bonus points if you specced Ram for immunity and they get no Focus back.

You do NOT need your tab up for Phantom Grip. I would advise that you spec Daze instead, especially since you'll be using 2 other Dazes. Get used to countering their Soul Stab. Listen for the metal scraping sound (if they have you grabbed, it's the only time you'll hear metallic sounds) or watch their backs for black swords coming out. You see that, hit counter.

If they spec deflect on their spin, know that Vortex has a higher priority than Hurricane for all uses, so if you meet Hurricane with Vortex in parry interval, you always lose. Avoid that. Pretty much all deflect penetration is your friend here. You can avoid Five Point Strike knockup entirely by using Hurricane, since it procs through a Daze. If they're not already using an immunity, capitalize on the stun from deflect. You will be hit by Dual Strike pull/daze as well, and that goes through everything but Fury/Persistence, Searing Strike, and Typhoon. Be aware of that combination.

1 hour ago, ymko said:

Yo guys, got another question here, im platinum bd, so not a scrub.

How do you deal with destroyers?  

Just don't engage them at all. You win if they can't reach and kill you quickly. They can't recover Focus well, so they're constantly losing if they have to spin. Keep a safe distance, keep moving. Use your immunity with long damage chains to keep the Destroyer from winning. Basically, Destroyer loses neutral fights every time. The standard Destroyer strategy against Destroyers is to force neutral, since burst builds lose that fight. That's really all there is to Destroyers. They are an awful class bolstered by Wrath/Cleave/Smash/Fury. Every class mechanic except that is pretty much worthless garbage in PvP. Without those abilities, they're pretty similar to BD but weaker in every possible way. Once you understand that, it's a lot easier to defeat them.

Thanks for the help. I will try these after the update/maintenance and see how it goes.

From what I can tell, me keeping the tab up for their phantom grip to counter the draw stance/rod seems to be a mistake, also keeping in close range so that my Blitz and Ram are not as obvious and easy to dodge with q and e

4 hours ago, SuckerPunch said:

tbh the good destroyers i fraught in 1v1 iframe  my  soaring falcon or they  charge me when it is traveling to them

^ @EzekielRage Also using red spins helps against Guardian Tempest as it can easily get 5 hits also its a nice buffer(lets you sorta kite for cool downs) and when they do SS/run away from it just be quick and use your Z to pull them back to you, Guardian Tempest only lasts 5 attacks / or 5 secs so if they. Most importantly you must be using persistence(blue rage) . Also as much as you're not gonna like what im about to say i would suggest watching endahlol on twitch.tv/endahlol he does offer good destroyer gameplay.

before you say something... tho i've only been playing really since cbt heres my rating currently i decided to grind a few days ago from 1924 also this is without HM Emberstomp

703b4faee6bef2f9ea35bf0d73afc6e6.png

I tried it, and it works to some extent, but I realized that it kind of wasn't my fault entirely and the struggle was real. Checked my ping in arena and it's from 220 to 270. Gotta love how EU servers have the same freaking ping as *cricket* China. This when on other games with servers in Germany - like the Dota 2 servers, I got 16 to 22 ping.

Guess I just got to accept that the border of gold with platinum is as far as I can go.

Thanks for the help.

/LOCK imo.

13 minutes ago, EzekielRage said:

I tried it, and it works to some extent, but I realized that it kind of wasn't my fault entirely and the struggle was real. Checked my ping in arena and it's from 220 to 270. Gotta love how EU servers have the same freaking ping as *cricket* China. This when on other games with servers in Germany - like the Dota 2 servers, I got 16 to 22 ping.

Guess I just got to accept that the border of gold with platinum is as far as I can go.

Thanks for the help.

/LOCK imo.

nah lol its cool man the pvp servers are pretty shitty for both NA and EU dont worry man. i also have a 200+ ping while pvping

Archived