what's the official words on deranking?

9 minutes ago, Hong said:

I think you're applying to team-based games. If you are, then yes, repeated offense of AFK is punishable, but only if reported by teammates and not the opposing team. However, if your entire team mutually agrees to surrender and AFK to end the match quicker, it's not punishable.

What OP is referring to is if NCSoft should punish derankers, and the answer is obviously no. In 1v1, they have every right to decide if they want to AFK the match. In 3v3, they and their team members have every right to AFK the match.

That's not Blizzard's response to this behavior though - they took it very seriously and banned those who lost games purposely in order to maintain the arena the way it was meant to be played and create consistent, fair match-ups. BUT wow arena was also a little different in the sense that top players were rewarded with the gladiator title and a mount, creating a stronger incentive and consequences for people to exploit the ladder system, so it kinda puts this behavior of BnS in a grey area, which is why I'm curious about NCSoft's attitude towards it. I personally, of course wish a robust ladder system in which people play competitively and strive for excellence like it's meant to be, but it seems like many people don't really care because they just want the beans. This is very disappointing to me.

15 minutes ago, Bumlife said:

hmm. do you mean people intentionally afk and lose to lower their ranking?
But why? no players to fight with? what ranking is that? just curious :p

there isn't such thing as "too high to get into a game". People just want a valid excuse.

It basically boils down to this. People join the arena to PvP, test skills, make a challenge for themselves against different class's. Legit players do not join to watch team mates or challengers afk. Unless your exploiting the ranking system and the game AFK at the bank with everyone else.

2 minutes ago, Asurastrike said:

there isn't such thing as "too high to get into a game". People just want a valid excuse.

Sorry I really dont understand your reply..

What do you mean to get into a game? you mean a match? 

On 3/1/2016 at 3:23 PM, Teiji said:

When they afk, they are already being punished with the lost (losing ratings) and low zen beans. Ruin the game for others? The person who fights afkers get a free win (points) and lots of beans. If they implement an afk ban in arena, there will be a riot. Let's say I just got matched, but damn I gotta go to the restroom to shit. I come out of the restroom and got ban? See how ridiculous that sound?

Of course it ruins the game for others. Literally everyone who isn't deranking is suffering because of it. Lower level or lower skill people fight against people who shouldn't be in their bracket. People not queueing with premades get AFK's on their team. People who don't PVP for 14 hours a day don't actually get to play the game because everyone is AFK.

People who are AFKing aren't being punished because being a lower rank to reap lower skill/level players is exactly what they want. Whether because they want to farm or because they're pansies who want to fight lower skilled/level players.
As for people who get matched against AFK players, not everyone wants a free win. You're not even playing the game at that point. Even if they wanted a win, after 7 straight games of that the novelty wears off.
Every competitive game that's taken serious has a AFK punishment. You need to shit? Cancel queue and shit you child. Currently having a stroke and have to go to the hospital? Go get help it's a *cricket*ing game, if your biggest worry is getting punished for AFK while having an emergency then you should let nature run it's course.

On 3/1/2016 at 3:13 PM, Teiji said:

Such ridiculous questions. You can't punish/ban someone just cause they choose to afk in arena. Sure it is frowned upon (by people like the OP), but it is part of the game. It's not an exploit, so of course it's not bannable. What they should really fix is the arena bot and hacker problem, not this minor "issue."

It doesn't matter if being AFK is a choice, this is a competitive game and if they want it taken seriously they have to get up to code. AFKing isn't an amendment, at best it's a gray area in the rules. 

As for queue times, people have been deranking for weeks, if people weren't deranking you wouldn't have long queue times. If you want to farm zen beans, play the damn game, if you're in a bracket and the skill ceiling is too high for you you'll naturally derank. Maybe you have to accept that you don't belong in higher ranks until you get better.

There is no reasonable argument that would support NOT punishing people for AFK in arena OR dungeons. It's not accepted in other competitive games, if it's accepted in BnS NC is just shooting themselves in the foot by eliminating Arena PvP from the game. Which, let's be honest, is the main draw to the game. Without it people will glading flock back to whatever MMO holes they crawled out of.

As Sync said, when you get 2300+ rating in tag match you get queues going up to 10 minutes. Not to mention that meeting the exact same people over 10 matches in a row when the queue finally happens gets really, really boring too.

It's not quite WoW levels of bad, where back in TBC (season 3 and 4 especially) if you were on 2500+ rating, you'd have 30+ minute queues just to meet a team that was so much lower that they gave you 0 rating. I've sat through that more than I'd like to admit, just to keep rank 1.

Difference with the old WoW system is that you could just start a new team there and poof, you'd be good as new. Here the only way to drop is deranking on purpose. So I can't blame people for doing it, just like I can't blame people for doing it in WoW these days (with the new system) either. Though it's rather pointless there since you get a reward out of being the top, while Tag Match here is literally nothing but a grind for Beans so staying at 2100 is far more profitable than going higher.

That said the rewards for being a good PvP'er in this game are absolutely rubbish. You're either the top 30 in 1v1 or you get jack sh!t. That's not how you convince people to continue playing after reaching a milestone. Copy WoW: make it the top 0.5% get something and make it both 1v1 and Tag Match. Give Tag Match a different reward to differentiate and you'll see a lot less derankers already since there's a reason to go for high rank that isn't just tournament level rank.

I haven't had 20 minutes queues, but I've definitely had 10-15 minute queues.

Especially when you try to queue alone into 3s, then it's sometimes almost impossible to get anyone.

My peak has been 2200.

Another reason for me to derank is not having to fight the same people OVER and OVER and OVER again, it's really boring because you're the only teams there so you constantly fight the same people.

On 3/1/2016 at 0:45 PM, Asurastrike said:

so you are 2.3k in 3s? I've only seen like 10 diamond 3v3 players so far, and what's your name? because if you are, I must have seen you. 

Even IF you are the cream of the crop, how many 2.3k players do you think there are? I've been playing at 2.1k 3v3 in the past couple days and queues are usually INSTANT(under 10 seconds). I'm playing right now the queue literally took less than 2 seconds. Most derankers I see are only gold and plat. 

How are queues instant for you? I'm sitting at 1950 in 3v3 and it takes 3-5 mins to get into a game usually

Someone asked on twitter awhile back about deranking they said its not banable. 

Even Korean pros does it. for tag as long as 3 members agree to do so (LFG) then its fine. same goes to 1 vs 1.

people derank because queues at diamond and above is ridiculous long (20 minutes for each match in tag).

hence people derank so they can climb up again to farm beans. if they do not derank they have to wait forever in queue. you get what im saying?

Deranking aren't afk. they give you free wins yet you complained? if you are in a party of 2 people afk, sure you can report them via a ticket since they did not ask for your permission. but if you face against teams that goes afk that means they are deranking hence its not banable.

your wasting your time. they already responded to such question on twitter.

Exploitation is not exactly a simple concept.Yes, it means using something to your advantage in a way that is not intended. However, the entire idea of a video game is to use the tools at your disposal to your advantage, preferably in unique ways that will leave even developers going, "wow, that was pretty smart." Not saying that deranking is awe inspiring, but it's using the tools at your disposal to get the best possible outcome. 

Personally, I don't mind being blown away by an opponent if the reason I lost was skill. You learn more from losses than wins and these fights give me a clue to the potential classes have. They got a reason for doing it besides building up their ego and others benefit as well, so seems alright to me.

2 hours ago, TakunDes said:

Someone asked on twitter awhile back about deranking they said its not banable. 

Even Korean pros does it. for tag as long as 3 members agree to do so (LFG) then its fine. same goes to 1 vs 1.

people derank because queues at diamond and above is ridiculous long (20 minutes for each match in tag).

hence people derank so they can climb up again to farm beans. if they do not derank they have to wait forever in queue. you get what im saying?

Deranking aren't afk. they give you free wins yet you complained? if you are in a party of 2 people afk, sure you can report them via a ticket since they did not ask for your permission. but if you face against teams that goes afk that means they are deranking hence its not banable.

your wasting your time. they already responded to such question on twitter.

And where's the link to that tweet? As far back as January they've said nothing about it so please enlighten us.

Of course people are complaining because they're not actually getting to fight anyone.

I played 10 games of 3v3's yesterday, every single game had at least 1 person afk.

Not everyone wants to waste all their time with AFK's or farming arena, not everyone HAS time. As it stands now, unless a person plays sits on their PC playing Arena all day they're unlikely to actually fight anyone in 3v3 and barely fight anyone in 1v1.  PvP now is mainly bots or afks, and one is just as bad as the other. Most bots are a free win so I guess those should be allowed too, no one should complain.

If this is what NC wants for PvP this game will never be competitive in NA. NC Has to choose if they want this to be another KR MMO brought stateside that has no longevity or if they want to attract the competitive market for NA. If it's the latter than AFK punishment needs to be implemented.

11 hours ago, TakunDes said:

Deranking aren't afk. they give you FREE WINS yet you complained? 

See stupid *cricket*ing comments like the above, make me realize how *cricket*ing pathetic and spoiled  the kids of this generation are. You beta male *cricket*-boys,want everything HANDED to your dumb assess,you don't want to WORK for it, you  don't want to IMPROVE YOURSELVES,you don't want to *cricket*ing EARN,your "Respect" . You want it HANDED to you for free.

I'ts disgusting, and posts like this make me ashamed to admit I play this game.

Seriously  you need a reality check kids,and i assume you ARE  kids aka 16 or younger. Because if I assume your a 20 something or older i will likely be physically sick; As its beyond pathetic for an adult to act this way,for a MAN to actually be such a lazy  ass puss bag, that he doesn't even want to put forth the effort to improve at something as triveil as a video game,it's really really sad.

That's besides the point though you see, the reality  is that some of us PVP due to wanting to improve at something,to be GOOD at something,and some of us understand that being  GOOD at something requires work and effort.

Some of us can actually TAKE a loss here and there, as a learning opportunity.   

Some of us actually want to pvp against PLAYERS not bots or afk deranker puss bags.

Archived