Fellow Blade Masters: Lightning Retribution Timing

Enamour

So while learning Blade Master PvP more and watching some videos, I've noticed something common. At first, I thought I was actually just being a noob with Lightning Retribution after I get my initial stun -> F -> Air Combo in which here (after they land) is where I'd try to drop LR for the Daze as soon as possible before they can F roll. It's literally a 50/50 chance of me getting it off and continuing my CC chain or me completely whiffing it and losing potential ticks on Blade Call.

My question is, do you opt for the 50/50 chance of getting the LR off on their F roll or do you try to LR before Blade Call ends after they've F rolled? There's a gamble with the latter as well but I'm starting to feel it's more consistent albeit it having a relatively slow projectile (so your opponent can actually outrun it/strafe it or SS it).

You usually just use it when they fall after your air finisher. Point of it is to bypass the ground counter if they go for it. If they roll through it, catch and you'll be able to kill them regardless.

The timing is pretty hard to grasp perfectly but you have to activate it the moment your opponent touches the ground. It's a bit slow to land so you will hit them with it after the F roll. My preferred method though is to have them blow trinket, then daze -> take flight. Then do a 180 and SS + 5 point strike to catch them on the F roll and you can land your full combo as well as save lightning rod to pierce the ground counter.

Well if you're missing the C, you can opt to use it as your follow-up CC, rather than your catch CC.

Use any other CC, lets use Rush for example, to tech chase the F roll, then land the garunteed C on the enemy when he's CC'd to extend the CC. 

Leading with C is an option, you don't always have to use it first.

If you're in an advantageous position, opponent grounded, you standing over them, the point of a 50/50 mix-up is to maintain your advantage by forcing your opponent to guess correctly, your mix-up. If he guesses incorrectly, you punish his decision with more damage. If your 50-50 mix-up is working against you, then your mix-up game is backwards. 

I get what you're trying to do. You blew their Tab, and have them in a Blade Call combo and wish to keep them in the Blade Call AoE. Blade stance C isn't your only option to punish a tech roll, infact, it's your worst option in this case because it's the hardest to time. The C will punish ground counters, but for chasing the tech roll, just use Rush, or walk up Lunar Slash, or walk up Anklebiter.

If for whatever reason, you want to use C to tech chase, don't just stand in place, and press C. If the opponent has no Tab, and you get him in the Blade Call combo, his only option is F roll the heck out, or gamble with a ground counter. Most of the time people will try to F roll, then SS backwards immediately.

There are negative frames between the F roll and SS, so what you want to do is first predict the F roll, then look at the enemy's body on the floor to see which direction their head is facing. You want to preemptively start walking in the direction he will roll in, and beat him to the spot, so you can time your C to connect within the small window the F roll's empty frames gives you. By standing closer, then doing your CC, you will not need to gap close to follow up, and you get to use every bit of that CC duration to punish.

Good luck blade bro!

Archived