Turns out, it's just Lag

PatchKid

I was thinking various classes were just way too strong, but as I've been training and gaining skill in the game it's really just lag.  All the classes are playable, and all of them are competitive (for the most part, it seems).  The only time certain classes start to become "OP" is when the lag becomes significant and that particular class is just blessed to suffer less from the lag.

Summoners are the primary example.  Their cat does not experience lag.  It continues to automatically do it's thing regardless of lag.  The healing skills are not tied to aiming abilities at opponents, which makes them incredibly easy accomplish, even when lagging.  Their counter skills actually benefit when lag is around because if you are watching for them, you sometimes don't see it appear until it's too late.  In the end, the Summoner itself is not powerful, but it suffers less in a laggy environment than other classes which rely on timing skills very accurately.

BDs are the same.  They often benefit from lag because it can slow down timing of their opponents attacks, which ultimately leads to many more deflected attacks and many more dazed targets which are susceptible to being hit with an air combo.  This is almost a perk when the game is so often laggy.  It isn't a flaw in the class itself, but does demonstrate just how majorly latency impacts gameplay.  When you only have a small window of opportunity to land an attack while the target is spinning, and latency adjusts your reaction time just enough to miss those windows, you will find it nearly impossible to stop a BD.

I think BM is one of those classes that suffers the most in laggy situations.  KFM is up there also.

Oddly, I would argue that Assassins don't suffer as much in lag because (if they're good) they're controlling the pace of the fight and can chose when to strike.  Of course, when you have sin vs sin - it's going to probably end up favoring the combatant with the best latency.

I've also noticed that my lag changes depending on opponent (not class).  I'm guessing this has to do with EU players on NA servers?  Sometimes I'll have 80ms up to maybe 120ms, and then jump into the arena with someone and it spikes and sits around 240-270ms.  When it's in the lower numbers, I can stand toe-to-toe with just about any class.  I noticed that my latency is probably higher 75% of the time when monitoring, and that's just the company's failure.  They really need to work hard to address the latency issues as priority #1.  I imagine the class complaints will continue to roll in, but they'll be far less supportable when you fix the horrendous server issues.  For me, this is a gating issue.  I don't see myself as ever being competitive because I will never have the ability to respond accurately and timely to compete at the highest level.

When I watch my character stuttering when spamming the S key, or failing to activate Q/E when my target is visually right next to me - or when TAB activates the wrong skill because the enemy is somehow at a different distance than the distance meter is showing -- I will just about throw my mouse out the window (poor mouse, it's holding up for now)...

12 minutes ago, PatchKid said:

I've also noticed that my lag changes depending on opponent (not class).  I'm guessing this has to do with EU players on NA servers?  Sometimes I'll have 80ms up to maybe 120ms, and then jump into the arena with someone and it spikes and sits around 240-270ms.

I'm not really sure why people think this is the case, but it is not. EU have their own cluster, and all matches are hosted by NCsoft and are not peer-to-peer. The arena servers just tend to lag horribly for many players -- there's a major routing issue somewhere in Austin (where NCSoft servers are located). I have been using WTFast trial to get around it for the time being, but if it's not fixed by March 3rd, I'm not going to pay for the privilege -- the game will just go on the scrap heap until they address the issue.

Archived