A Easy And Free Way To Fix The Bot Problem Is To Hire In Game Volunteer Mods

ShadowRose

Just as the title says.

If nc is to lazy to get real mods then i am sure at this point there are hoards who would ban them for free.

Get 2 or 3 a server and give them some nc now and then or free premium and tada that fixs ncsofts reluctance to pay half a mil in salaries to in game moderators and fixes the bot problem with gms that genuinely want to help the game.

Kinda surprised they haven't thought of this.

If they dont fix this and continue nerfing drop rates and do it with everything they will make endgame far to difficult to get to and not worth it for anyone to even bother with.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 other threads I have posted on regarding in-game moderators. They'd be a good add if all they can do is mute and give their names direct to staff members who are currently on the job, it'd definitely speed up handling on them if they go to people who are reported so they can see if they really are bots or not. Hire 2/3 each server and you'll be good to go. Maybe just give them windstride/windwalk unlimited cooldowns and make the teleporting between areas free so they can get the job done and that should be enough, definitely as there are just as many bots as there were on launch. 

35 minutes ago, ShadowRose said:

Just as the title says.

If nc is to lazy to get real mods then i am sure at this point there are hoards who would ban them for free.

Get 2 or 3 a server and give them some nc now and then or free premium and tada that fixs ncsofts reluctance to pay half a mil in salaries to in game moderators and fixes the bot problem with gms that genuinely want to help the game.

Kinda surprised they haven't thought of this.

If they dont fix this and continue nerfing drop rates and do it with everything they will make endgame far to difficult to get to and not worth it for anyone to even bother with.

U know how wrong that can go soo fast trust they wont do that lets they they did do gave few ppl power  i going banned this person i think he a bot but turns out he not a bot an u wont like it banned some one that not a bot. Or i dont like this person i just going banned him for kicks an u get yell at by bsn ppl. So its not goign to happed so dont ask

4 minutes ago, Kitah said:

2 other threads I have posted on regarding in-game moderators. They'd be a good add if all they can do is mute and give their names direct to staff members who are currently on the job, it'd definitely speed up handling on them if they go to people who are reported so they can see if they really are bots or not. Hire 2/3 each server and you'll be good to go. Maybe just give them windstride/windwalk unlimited cooldowns and make the teleporting between areas free so they can get the job done and that should be enough, definitely as there are just as many bots as there were on launch. 

This is the most reasonable way for volunteer mods to deal with bots, in my opinion.

Simply disconnect them from the server, make a report to staff who can handle bans to help make the process go faster.

Another possibilty is the option to do really small temp bans as timers, if the same bots continue to log in. Example: an hour, 2 hours, etc.

(Though that does seem like it would be more work to implement this.)

1 minute ago, Ebrietaz said:

This is the most reasonable way for volunteer mods to deal with bots, in my opinion.

Simply disconnect them from the server, make a report to staff who can handle bans to help make the process go faster.

Another possibilty is the option to do really small temp bans as timers, if the same bots continue to log in. Example: an hour, 2 hours, etc.

(Though that does seem like it would be more work to implement this.)

I don't believe any volunteer moderator or non-HQ moderator should ever be allowed to give temporary bans unless requested to by a staff member. It can easily lead to power abuse and those banning others who have different opinions to them etc. 

4 minutes ago, Fuz said:

You can't hire volonteers GMs.
First: it's a job.
Second: you can't trust volunteer players. If you ever played a shard of UOL you know what I'm talking about.

That is not true in all cases, there are websites that recruit volunteers as moderators.

A website I used to frequent, Gaiaonline, almost all of their moderators are actually volunteers.

It depends on who ends up moderating. There are plenty out there that would moderate seriously and wouldn't abuse it or treat it as a status symbol. However, those are usually the people that won't want to do it because work is work and working for free ain't fun ^_-.

*used to be a mod for reviewing code*

5 minutes ago, Kitah said:

I don't believe any volunteer moderator or non-HQ moderator should ever be allowed to give temporary bans unless requested to by a staff member. It can easily lead to power abuse and those banning others who have different opinions to them etc. 

Sorry for not clarifying, I meant to have timers to prevent them from logging into the actual game itself for an hour or two, if disconnecting them from the server isn't enough for those persistent bots.

I agree with you, though. If they were allowed to do long temp bans or permanent bans that could lead to abuse of their power.

11 minutes ago, Ebrietaz said:

That is not true in all cases, there are websites that recruit volunteers as moderators.

A website I used to frequent, Gaiaonline, almost all of their moderators are actually volunteers.

The key word here is "website".

In game? That's a whole different thing.

3 minutes ago, Ebrietaz said:

Sorry for not clarifying, I meant to have timers to prevent them from logging into the actual game itself for an hour or two, if disconnecting them from the server isn't enough for those persistent bots.

I agree with you, though. If they were allowed to do long temp bans or permanent bans that could lead to abuse of their power.

I still wouldn't feel timers were safe unless let's use you as an example:

You are a moderator, you see "badplaya" running the bot course. You put a timer on their account and they can't log in for 2 hours, Badplaya then goes to the forum and complains that he wasn't botting and just doing his quests and it was just a big mistake.  I feel the best course of action if they do allow timers and if they do bring in playermoderators would be to make it so the staff and GM's have to accept that you put a timer on that person and you have to state a specific reason along with an example of what they were doing. 

9 minutes ago, nestharus said:

It depends on who ends up moderating. There are plenty out there that would moderate seriously and wouldn't abuse it or treat it as a status symbol. However, those are usually the people that won't want to do it because work is work and working for free ain't fun ^_-.

*used to be a mod for reviewing code*

I agree with this completely, not everyone is bad but if you set up a system like this it is always good to go into a negative approach. Having a paid staff member watch the volunteer staff members is always a good idea. I previously worked in a charity shop (obviously a completely different environment) we had volunteers and only one paid staff member on the premises at the time. The paid staff member watched and made sure the volunteers were doing a correct job, helped them and gave them the tools to do the job they are required to do while they dealt with more pressing and important matters. It'd be the same principle. Volunteers don't work to be paid, they work to help out the community. 

2 minutes ago, Fuz said:

The key word here is "website".

In game? That's a whole different thing.

What would be the difference? if websites recruit volunteer mods for forums, why would it be different for mods to handle in-game things??

The same would apply to in-game mods. They can just handle the bots and gold sellers they see while they play the game??

Isn't that what moderators do in the forums? Lurk and handle situations and help others based on what they see in the forums?

To prevent power abuse of player moderators you have to give them the most limited ability:

The ability to mute other players, with a required typed out reason, which also automatically saves a chat log of the past minute or so from the muted player for NCSoft to review for pmod abuse.

They can't give just anyone the power to ban or kick. I've never seen an mmorpg do that.

Player mod reported/muted players should go to the top of the list at what NCSoft employees look at to ban, though.

25 minutes ago, Fuz said:

You can't hire volonteers GMs.
First: it's a job.
Second: you can't trust volunteer players. If you ever played a shard of UOL you know what I'm talking about.

First: Wrong, it can be indeed a volunteer role

Second: Anyone who volunteers to do a GM role adheres to the terms which the company that hires them has agreed with them. That means if they breach it in certain ways, not only will they be banned from the game itself, there is a potential for it to be treated as a crime which can be punishable. 

Take it from a guy who played games by Gameforge who hires Volunteer GMs. Most of the GMs by Gameforge are volunteers. And they even have recruitment pages for it if you want me to show an example. 

Just now, NueHoujuu said:

Abuse on forum and abuse in-game are two different things that happen for different reasons that happen depending on how much power people are given.

I don't see a need for forum mods, just in-game.

Right now a forum mod is about as important as an in-game mod but for different reasons. 

Just now, Fuz said:

You're really equating possible abuse on forums to possible abuse in game?

I am talking about volunteers.

I don't see why recruiting volunteers for forums being very different from recruiting volunteers for in-game.

You originally stated that volunteers can't be moderators because it's a job, you also stated that they can't be trusted.

Volunteers can be moderators as I have seen it on other sites, and to add on to my previous quote, there are actually about 1/3rd of those volunteer moderators who have been a moderator for more than 5 years on Gaiaonline. I am not saying abuse will not happen, but there are people who are honest and trustworthy.

You're still talking about volunteer FORUM moderators. And that usually happens.

In game? It will NEVER happen, you have no idea how it will turn out (have you ever played an UOL shard?) giving such power to people who aren't afraid of losing their job.

1 minute ago, Mahabaratbu said:

Guys do you think NCSoft will ban "PREMIUM MEMBER" bots? lol they would rather ban a f2p player. maybe 500,000 thousand are real people the rest are premium BOTS.

Unless they wanna make this into a botfest like Guild Wars 1 currently is... yes, I think they will. 

2 minutes ago, Fuz said:

In game? It will NEVER happen, you have no idea how it will turn out (have you ever played an UOL shard?) giving such power to people who aren't afraid of losing their job.

Again, wrong. I've seen plenty volunteer GMs in certain games. 

Archived