Bots are killing this game let's talk about removing them

chinmi

I like the idea. Most of it. Like someone already said, typing in a captcha every hour would annoy most players, so maybe they could work something out for real and active players. Like, after some time if the person confirmed the captcha several times they're off the hook from having to type it every hour. The loot window is annoying as it is when you're fighting in a dungeon, having a captcha window in the middle of a delicate fight (like the 7th floor or in the arena) would be really sucky too (unless it's really small and simple and gives you enough time to finish what you're doing and type the captcha). 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like people don't understand really how botting works.  Bots are controlled by a real life person, they set the program up to do specific things. It's just a program/software that people tell it what to do and then it auto-pilots for them. The real life people will just put in the captcha for the bots and continue going on with their day.  The best way for bots to disappear is for them to crack down on whose buying from the bots and to ban the people buying. The bots are like this because someone is buying stuff from them. So if you want to bots to leave then someone needs to stop feeding their credit card to the bots.  Thus why bots stay, because the controller(s) of the bots are making money. If people would do the dailies and make gold rather than relying on bots to make them money then their wouldn't be a bot problem.

Here is a suggestion which probably EVERYONE has been requesting and that is a vote kick that isn't just for afks. Now I'm not asking you guys to steal but in WoW there was a kick in which the player had to respond in the given time or else they will be kicked from party etc. Right now bots are filling up the big 4 dungeons, literally today I went inside Brightstone and 4 people were bots afking inside the dungeon entrance. If bots are not dealt with asap you will see a huge influx in gold as it is already starting to happen. Eventually the game will die not because lacking in content is because the rich are going to get richer and the newbies are going to struggle to gear up because everything costs an arm and a leg.

28 minutes ago, Yaviey said:

Hey Toragos,

Thank you for the idea! We are aware of the bot problem and are actively taking measures against them. I like the idea of the captcha and will forward this to our internal team. Your English is actually great, thank you!

Just make sure the captcha will appear when you will be out of combat and not inside dungeon or arena. One game added something familiar and it just was popping out when you was killing something. It completely ruined game and they had to do hotfix at the same day

There are ways to bypass captcha even for bots, and making it every hour means the owner can just come and check every hour. Captcha if needed to be implemented as much as I'd abhor the annoyance, needs to be irregular, so they cannot be predicted. However it also does not mean the botters can't hire a single person to watch over 20 PCs to make sure they hit the captcha right on top of many other things. 

30 minutes ago, SosukeRyugamine said:

I feel like people don't understand really how botting works.  Bots are controlled by a real life person, they set the program up to do specific things. It's just a program/software that people tell it what to do and then it auto-pilots for them. The real life people will just put in the captcha for the bots and continue going on with their day.  

Yes and no.  There is likely a real person there, but he could be overseeing a hundred or a thousand or more different bots.  So while a check every hour that gives you 10 minutes to enter would be extremely pointless, a random check that only gives you a minute might help.

That said to solve the dungeon/afk issue, a capcha that pops up 1 minute after you've last taken/inflicted damage while you're in an cross dungeon instance (after combat is first entered in that dungeon, and before last boss is killed) that gives you 10 seconds to enter?  That's got possibilities.  The average player probably won't ever see it.  Your average dungeon bot is gonna get kicked after a minute and 10 seconds, unless the bot supervisor is spending so much time on each bot that he may as well just run the dungeon.

http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/ncsoft-corporation-in-austin-tx-58760

ncsoft will NOT fix the problem with all the farming bots & all the Destroyer bots I see in 1 vs 1 arena, I have seen multiple threads about these bots & have NOT heard a single word from any NCsoft employees or Forum moderators or anyone saying they will fix the bot problem. 

So now its time to take it into our own hands, please fill out a form & file a complaint from the the link provided ^ to the "Better Business Bureau", any company that is giving a denial of service can be held accountable(This also applies to F2P) & can be reported to BBB here in N/A. Hopefully if they get alot of BBB claims they will fix the problems, because as it stands,- talking on forums/facebook/website is:...... doing nothing for the N/A version of blade & soul, still bots everywhere ruining the game for everyone!

Make NCSoft answer for what they are doing, this game has already been paid for by so many people with $130USD founders packs ect, servers have already been paid for in advanced for 4+years, we need an answer from NCsoft or alot of people might have to file a class action lawsuit & sue you NCsoft!

14 hours ago, Hime said:

Understandable. To be clear, I'm not saying we're not taking this issue seriously. I'm just throwing out more details for your consideration. We completely understand our players are passionate and want to see the game continue to be successful. We share the same sentiment and again, one of our top priorities in addressing and improving as well.

Honestly, this isn't something you can just say its being addressed, it's something you need to act on within the next few weeks or watch as you lose a lot of the playerbase.

Normally I'll laugh at all the doomsayers, but the bots in PVP are basically your game killer.

BnS attracted a lot of players because of the competitive PVP combat, if you've got bots running around low-mid gold where people are saying 3/5 games are against a bot, you're going to lose a hell of a lot of players before you even catch up with korean content because the arena aspect of the game will just become a joke.

This isn't even about the economy, it's the entertainment value, no one is entertained playing against bots. It's just like an easier version of Mushin tower.

Buyers to Sellers here is what the gms need to do.

Learn it from private servers in other games where BANS are announced publicly in game and reason for doing so. So that being said ban both the sellers and buyers and publicly announce the names, it will put fear in potential buyers and in result no matter how many bots there is in the game eventually they will die out because there are no consumers. Now why would you want to announce the names of the bans? Well simple because bans are simply just rumors and never an actual fact but if players are seeing people actually getting banned then it puts a different perspective. And as for pvp the reason why bots are in pvp is because of soulstones or things that can be used by zenbean to sell. There are 2 solution to this, 1 is remove soulstone from being purchased by zenbeans, 2nd would be make it so that soulstones from zenbeans account bound that way they cannot sell it in market.

Totally agree this issue is pretty dangerous now. As a game that mainly attract player base on esport and competitive pvp the bot in arena will seriously cause the doom of the game. Its not something a simple reply that will fix. Someone from the top must come out and clarify what the action been and not some GM going out to give a "yes we are looking into it" reply

15 hours ago, Hime said:

As you all are aware, the bots in game is one of our top priorities. Bots will continue to evolve their tactics (as you have seen) and we also have to adjust to that as well and we are/are in the process.

It isn't a bad idea, but I also think it has some pain points for legitimate players as well.

I don't want to be that guy but ive seen the same bots on Dochun for weeks and even faced one I saw doing faction dailies in the arena a couple days later. Having a single GM go through each server's faction area in the morning would easily clear out 50%+ of the bot population. Im going to assume people haven't been using the report function otherwise I have no idea how these bots still exist.

The reason why bots run the game is the anti-bot system. So Gameguard is to blame for all the bots and NC is to blame for GameGuard.  There are way better anti-bot systems out there, dunno why NC (and by NC I mean all of NC not just West) doesn't want to switch. The fact that GG is old and outdated makes it accessible to any PC newb to google search and bypass it in 5 min. 

On Lineage 2 boards there was a 300ish pages topic about bot complaints when it went F2P. On the contrary, the EU provider for Lineage 2 which had a different system and a more dedicated team (that actually communicated with the players), only had a couple of posts on their boards regarding bots (there was an average of 1 complaint every 1-2 days).

And it's not just the gold sellers that use bots and 3rd party programs.

i have played Black Desert and there they have zero Bots. The reason why is that there is no player vs player trading. What that means is that you can only buy stuff from the AH, you cant trade with other people.

This sounds pretty harsh, and i didnt like it at first, but i have to be honest, after a while i find it really good. Sure its odd to not trade with people in a MMO, but the other thing is, you wont have bots.

They cant sell anything, they cant pass gold to others, so in my opinion that would be the onliest solution for BnS. I know a lot of people dont want this, but thats just my two cents ;) i have never ever seen any bot in BDO.

Sorry if this has been mentioned i didn't read all comments.

This could be very annoying depending on what you are doing, so i guess don't make it a pop up. but maybe a reminder thing that appears every hour or so.

Like maybe same lil screen as pin at login with a simple maths question always at least a 2 digit answer and you put the answer in by clicking some number pad...eh?

reminds you every hour or 2 gives you like a 5 minute grace period to answer. if you don't answer you dc....i dunno

lol fail, just went back and read second comment.... i liked it

9 minutes ago, Raijaa said:

i have played Black Desert and there they have zero Bots. The reason why is that there is no player vs player trading. What that means is that you can only buy stuff from the AH, you cant trade with other people.

This sounds pretty harsh, and i didnt like it at first, but i have to be honest, after a while i find it really good. Sure its odd to not trade with people in a MMO, but the other thing is, you wont have bots.

They cant sell anything, they cant pass gold to others, so in my opinion that would be the onliest solution for BnS. I know a lot of people dont want this, but thats just my two cents ;) i have never ever seen any bot in BDO.

Isn't that game in closed Beta?

6 minutes ago, Udunnome said:

Isn't that game in closed Beta?

it was for a long time, but as i know, it will be realeased between the next 2 weeks. i've you have a founders pack, you can play next week already.  Official realease i think is on the 2nd or 3rd march. ( im not aware of the changes for EU, because im not gonna play it, but i know, in EU they may have some kind of player vs player trading.)

2 minutes ago, Raijaa said:

it was for a long time, but as i know, it will be realeased between the next 2 weeks. i've you have a founders pack, you can play next week already.  Official realease i think is on the 2nd or 3rd march.

Well let's see after release how many bots that game will have. I don't think BNS had bots in closed beta, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

See, I am not speaking for everyone, but I'd welcome a capatcha system HOWEVER I'd want it like this:

Going to arena lobby?: Capatcha

Dungeon Lobby: Capatcha

Player recruitment: Capatcha

This way, it's not a INSANE amount, not time restricted (Ie: every 30 minutes you get a code you HAVE to put in)

I am not saying EVERY duel you have to put one in, or EVERY dungeon, I more so mean ANYTIME you port over to the actual lobby itself you put a code in.

Seeing as we are getting off topic, this is why the bots will absolutely kill your game. It's not just the bot, watch what happens when the cat dies, the player flickers in and out of vision and has near infinite focus.

Bots are one thing when they at least play by the rules, generally when they do they suck (the destroyer ones are easy) but when they are able to do this, then see ya no one is going to stick around for arena PVP if its infested with this.

Oh, same guy is also diamond now. Big lulz.

http://imgur.com/dDd17Wf

Can we get an actual response on this, I'm not looking for what you're doing, how you're going to do it or whatever. What I want is to hear 'The devs are now working on this as a top priority.' I don't want to hear bots are forever changing and evolving, we know that. What does concern me is that if this guy is able to abuse vision/Focus then that would suggest the exploits being used clientside are just being accepted by the server with zero actual checks.

*edit* Just to clarify, not my screenshots/video, taken from reddit.

Archived