Bad Community, why?

megaronus

On 2/24/2016 at 7:29 PM, Monoe said:

Beats me. I tend to avoid games that are mostly played by SE Asia players, because of how toxic the community is.  I always thought that I'd find a better community elsewhere, I thought wrong. It's pretty much the same, but on higher "level".

SEA player here, while I agree that some sea players can be rotten in-game, that's only a few bad apples. It's the same as the community in NA and EU, to generalize that all NA and EU communities are toxic af would be unfair to the really nice ones that exist within it. 

I just.... well, imo, the new generation of players mostly come from LoL that is pretty much the breeding place for toxic players. Now they found BnS. RIP to general niceness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F2P - It does play a strong part, they have absolutely hundreds of thousands of complaints to deal with every month. People tend to realise they can get away with being an utter shit stain to anyone and never even remember they did it. Such a high volume of people means most of the inappropriate stuff reported will get brushed under the rug 9/10 times.

PVP -  I remember playing Aion (another NCSoft game) and people who had dueled once 2 years ago still flamed each other whenever their name pops up, year long feuds ended up being guild feuds and then its toxic and it spreads.  PLUS you can see peoples gear, at least Aion you had the choice to hide it from other players. People are free to criticize someones skill when they automatically get an F for effort with equipment.

And to quote another person here its true the game is very selfishly orientated. Its a shame all mobs arent boss loot functioned. (Everyone gets their own) ... it would solve alot of peoples problems. And I cannot tell you the times I have called someone something under my breath for stealing a mob etc... and then thinking to myself... Don't lower yourself to it. 

I have a theory:

1. Being such pvp focused game (at the end), it's competitive (first and foremost).
  2. PvE is super competitive. You have to compete for exp and drops in addition to competition in auctions etc.
  3. Since in anything competive someone wins and someone loses. At least 50% of people lose and are salty!
  4. Winners tend to pretend they are good and it's skill.
  5. Losers whine. Even more if the winners win by a chance or by OP class or such.
  6. E-peen battles.

On 2/24/2016 at 6:08 AM, ibase said:

i tell you why, because this is free to play. when ppl pay 60 usd /euro for a game they will behave different. Free 2 play games are attracting the missbeheaving and toxic trolls from deep out of the shadows.

its simple as that

The game is F2P in all other regions too, and at least in JP I have not found this level of toxic....and I have been playing MMOs since Ultima Online, P2P and F2P and B2P, and sincerely, the most toxic communities have always been the P2P ones, WoW was just....my God I wanted to rinse my eyes every time I read chat....so blaming it on F2P is naive at best, stupid at worst, it is not the paying model, it's the people that, unfortunately, in the west the bully is praised

Why i'm a toxic player? Yeah well, every single *cricket*ing cerulean retard i encounter when doing my faction dailies attacks me. I still kill them so easy but it's just annoying to waste time on them.

And please don't be like '' herp don't do dailies with faction outfit on then derp... ''.

I just wish cerulean retards would mind their own shit and don't attack others while questing.

1 hour ago, dowpy said:

Why i'm a toxic player? Yeah well, every single *cricket*ing cerulean retard i encounter when doing my faction dailies attacks me. I still kill them so easy but it's just annoying to waste time on them.

And please don't be like '' herp don't do dailies with faction outfit on then derp... ''.

I just wish cerulean retards would mind their own shit and don't attack others while questing.

This. All of it. Just leave me alone to kill NPCs. I don't care about quests requiring to kill other players.

On 2/24/2016 at 3:26 AM, megaronus said:

Hey guys, I dont mean to flame or anything, this is just something that both I and some of my mates kept wondering, its about the BnS Community beeing very toxic (rude, incredibly fast to insult others, easy to irritate and so on) and no, im not talking about the PvP lobby, people lose,  get angry, I understand that, im talking in general.

I understand that people are people, no metter where you go you will always find good and bad ones, but ive been playing lots of MMOS and online games, and I have never met this many toxic players, and I just cant find a reason for that.

So I was wondering if someone has the answer, whats so "special" about BnS, that it has this toxic of a community?

only time i've seen chat become toxic is when some idiot decided to spam bible passages and their religious beliefs into faction chat to "try to save us by bringing us into the light"

considering the game has people of various religions, beliefs, and so on.  this was only ever going to end with people being toxic to that person.  When they continue to spam the religious crap though, people are gonna keep getting more toxic until the religious nutbag shuts up.

its like those religious preachers that stand outside comicons and preach that "you read stories of fake people"

no one wants them there, and if the police weren't around, most of those preachers would find themselves on the ground with annoyed comicon attendees kicking them.

and since this is a game, there is no police to stop people from telling the religious nutbag where to shove their words.

I'm not sure what server you guys are on, but here in Yunwa I have only ever encountered two toxic people. One was mad we didn't help him with his quest that was also in our dungeon and another was mad because I was trying lab at 376, when he had 374 AP.

Other than that, I've pretty much had positive experiences with the community. Random people offering to show me how to ani-cancel, giving me a few silver of their own accord when I was a newbie, helping with dungeons, etc.

6 hours ago, Brand X said:

I still think some of it has to do with F2P, but no community has ever been as good as City of Heroes was.  :p

Runescape's was better, I bet. :P

Because that game "create" competitive environment in many design.

1- node gathering

2- first hit mob ( so questing in general, because low mob amount, long respawn )

3- elitist with gear grindfest upgrade

4- economy in general ( utter expensive HM skills.. etc )

everything tend to reveal that "jerk" side from everyone.

Welcome to Blade & Soul !

4 minutes ago, wootwoots said:

Because that game "create" competitive environment in many design.

1- node gathering

2- first hit mob ( so questing in general, because low mob amount, long respawn )

3- elitist with gear grindfest upgrade

4- economy in general ( utter expensive HM skills.. etc )

everything tend to reveal that "jerk" side from everyone.

Welcome to Blade & Soul !

This too. All these things work as incentives for some to be as cutthroat as possible if they feel they can get away with it.

3 hours ago, Brand X said:

I think the first mob hit is a bit to much.  Is the player trying to gather a bunch for AOE or just tagging them before someone else can?

I think it's great. As a newbie, I don't have to worry about some high level stealing all of my kills. Whoever reaches the mob first, wins.

26 minutes ago, Akamu said:

I think it's great. As a newbie, I don't have to worry about some high level stealing all of my kills. Whoever reaches the mob first, wins.

I just didn't see it as a negative as someone else listed.  I know the only time I go tagging mobs is when trying to gather them for some AOE.

2 hours ago, Brand X said:

I just didn't see it as a negative as someone else listed.  I know the only time I go tagging mobs is when trying to gather them for some AOE.

Oh, I see. My fault, I misread your post.

Yeah, I love zipping around on my BM and then dropping a bladecall on the mob while I block.

1 hour ago, Tomoko said:

only time i've seen chat become toxic is when some idiot decided to spam bible passages and their religious beliefs into faction chat to "try to save us by bringing us into the light"

Why didn't you just block the guy who more than likely is a troll? Or is there some sort of special hatred you hold for religion?

A bunch of people turning on someone who's annoying is hardly restricted to religion though. All it takes is a random guy who's had too much to drink and starts throwing out insults. It's actually quite entertaining. 

Just now, Kure said:

Why didn't you just block the guy who more than likely is a troll? Or is their some sort of special hatred you hold for religion?

A bunch of people turning on someone who's annoying is hardly restricted to religion though. All it takes is a random guy who's had too much to drink and starts throwing out insults. It's actually quite entertaining. 

even blocking him, you see others responding.  

and when theres 30+ people telling him to shut up. you don't need to see what he's typing to know whats being said.

Wonder how many reports it takes before someone gets silenced? I know I've been late to report bots before, and then when I try I'm told the player does not exist. Funniest thing to me is that the people shouting at the guy probably didn't report him (unless they unblocked him afterward). 

And like I said, all it takes is one drunk guy. Most recent thing for me was a player who decided to take the whole cerulean vs. crimsons a bit too hard core. When people disagreed it escalated to eventually the guy deciding everyone was against him, which may not have been too far off. If you're NA just pick a side and talk about politics. You'll probably get similar results.

o-o I've seen worse personally. 

If(inflammatory)

ignore();

99% of the irritating comments I see about the 'bad community' are people entertaining obvious idiots in the hopes that they'll suddenly not be idiots or change.

The internet isnt made for changing people. Not over games, at any rate. 

Considering I play a game far more toxic than this, I am noticing that this games community is progressing towards the same key issues as the other game did (yes, LoL players, im talking to you.)

1) elitism. yes, your good, we get it. Yes, you can 100-0 me in 6 seconds because im still learning my class, or im still sitting at true profane with the starting amethyst and king ploggle gems. But guess what? there will always be someone better than you. Instead of the "lol get better scrub" mentality, if you completely obliterate someone in pvp, how about you tell them why they lost? I know open world is more gear dependant, but if I jump onto my force master and auto attack a level 45 to death, chances are they are going to be extremely salty and want to know why their full pirate lost to my true profane gear set. Most of the time its due to bad skill order or perhaps even a class mechanic issue.  Discuss It with them, help them grow, and by doing so help the community grow. If I see a fm making mistakes I did, ill stop what im doing and coach them, tell them about the animation cancel we have ( fire palm and frost palm 0.3 seconds apart will cause both spells to hit at the same time, skipping about 7-10 whole animation frames, it seriously does make that much of a difference).  

2) LETS PK THE LOW LEVELS LOLZ.  if your one of these players, you deserve whats coming to you. I hunt people like you, people that go to soulstone scar on dochun and tear new level 26s apart. In fact, im close to my 1000 kills because of this alone. Just stop it. Because eventually you will become the hunted, and believe me, if I see anyone doing this, you better believe ill chase you through channels and keep pking you and dancing on your body. Because its not cool. Let the new level 26 players get their daily's done....till misty. Then its fair game.  

3) the new clan vs old clan mentality:   ok. granted this has died down, but I do want to use this as an example because quite frankly, its pretty bad. It also showed me how much of a bully an entire faction can be to an individual (to the point where the person in question has skipped dochun and moved server) There was a guild in crimson on dochun (not mentioning names due to name and shame) that decided to tear an individual to shreds over looting practices. He was looting moonwater tears and them selling them on the marketplace. He asked if he could have them, and they let him take them. A week later, said faction ripped him a riot act over selling the tears. The entire crimson faction jumped onto the hate train, and forced the individual to take himself and some very talented crimson players over to the opposing faction. It was about this time I also abandoned crimson for my own reasons (clan related, was invited into a more active clan that actually was running blackwyrm and terrors). I then watched said individual make what is now the largest blue clan on dochun (in fact my clan and that specific one go up against to of the bigger red clans this weekend in open pvp. kind of looking forward to some organized chaos).  This caused quite a bit of bad blood esentialy for a while, and anyone of the "old clan" was forced to hate the "new clan". This should not have happened to begin with. Personal clan drama should stay out of faction chat.  if you have an issue with another player, don't drag the whole faction into it. It ruins the game for a few people.

4) lol im true pirate your not. Not everyone has money/hours to commit to the game. Im sitting at true profane on both my fm and my warlock currently because I cant dedicate the time needed to grind soul stones and materials to get to true pirate. I work 4*10's (currently 60 hours a week due to issues) so im sleeping half the time. Im pretty active when I can be however. Don't degrade a player based on gear when they probably cant commit the time you have.

TLDR: in fact. all the above can be summed up in one phrase. Don't be a douche.

1 minute ago, zubatusedfly said:

Considering I play a game far more toxic than this, I am noticing that this games community is progressing towards the same key issues as the other game did (yes, LoL players, im talking to you.)

1) elitism. yes, your good, we get it. Yes, you can 100-0 me in 6 seconds because im still learning my class, or im still sitting at true profane with the starting amethyst and king ploggle gems. But guess what? there will always be someone better than you. Instead of the "lol get better scrub" mentality, if you completely obliterate someone in pvp, how about you tell them why they lost? I know open world is more gear dependant, but if I jump onto my force master and auto attack a level 45 to death, chances are they are going to be extremely salty and want to know why their full pirate lost to my true profane gear set. Most of the time its due to bad skill order or perhaps even a class mechanic issue.  Discuss It with them, help them grow, and by doing so help the community grow. If I see a fm making mistakes I did, ill stop what im doing and coach them, tell them about the animation cancel we have ( fire palm and frost palm 0.3 seconds apart will cause both spells to hit at the same time, skipping about 7-10 whole animation frames, it seriously does make that much of a difference).  

2) LETS PK THE LOW LEVELS LOLZ.  if your one of these players, you deserve whats coming to you. I hunt people like you, people that go to soulstone scar on dochun and tear new level 26s apart. In fact, im close to my 1000 kills because of this alone. Just stop it. Because eventually you will become the hunted, and believe me, if I see anyone doing this, you better believe ill chase you through channels and keep pking you and dancing on your body. Because its not cool. Let the new level 26 players get their daily's done....till misty. Then its fair game.  

3) the new clan vs old clan mentality:   ok. granted this has died down, but I do want to use this as an example because quite frankly, its pretty bad. It also showed me how much of a bully an entire faction can be to an individual (to the point where the person in question has skipped dochun and moved server) There was a guild in crimson on dochun (not mentioning names due to name and shame) that decided to tear an individual to shreds over looting practices. He was looting moonwater tears and them selling them on the marketplace. He asked if he could have them, and they let him take them. A week later, said faction ripped him a riot act over selling the tears. The entire crimson faction jumped onto the hate train, and forced the individual to take himself and some very talented crimson players over to the opposing faction. It was about this time I also abandoned crimson for my own reasons (clan related, was invited into a more active clan that actually was running blackwyrm and terrors). I then watched said individual make what is now the largest blue clan on dochun (in fact my clan and that specific one go up against to of the bigger red clans this weekend in open pvp. kind of looking forward to some organized chaos).  This caused quite a bit of bad blood esentialy for a while, and anyone of the "old clan" was forced to hate the "new clan". This should not have happened to begin with. Personal clan drama should stay out of faction chat.  if you have an issue with another player, don't drag the whole faction into it. It ruins the game for a few people.

4) lol im true pirate your not. Not everyone has money/hours to commit to the game. Im sitting at true profane on both my fm and my warlock currently because I cant dedicate the time needed to grind soul stones and materials to get to true pirate. I work 4*10's (currently 60 hours a week due to issues) so im sleeping half the time. Im pretty active when I can be however. Don't degrade a player based on gear when they probably cant commit the time you have.

TLDR: in fact. all the above can be summed up in one phrase. Don't be a douche.

There needs to be more players like you....respect!

I'll probably get a lot of flak for saying this but I've found toxic communities come more from greed then other things (greed in any circumstance causes a superiority complex in people).

I personally have never seen faction chat because I spent time reducing my chat box and leaving out a lot of chat so I can't speak for that part, however dungeons and pvp is basically for me "if you don't be greedy your scrub" etc etc I play games to have fun not be greedy and act like I am royalty for being greedy..

Archived