Latency Issues for Non NA/EU Players

Kratosai

I understand that the server is in Dallas, Texas, USA so naturally for people living far away like us in the Philippines(which is in south east asia) will have roughly around 200+ ping even with the fastest internet. I am no computer wiz or anything so I'm asking if dev/tech team is going to design a way for us non-NA players to play without such latency? because I recall playing games that are based in NA/EU (Like WoW, Ragnarok, etc.) without latency problems at all

Thoughts & Comments are highly appreciated 

****I don't resort to VPN's(wtfast, pingzapper) since it needs subscription fees)****

The reason a lot of other games don't seem as bad as B&S does with 200+ ping is because most games have a fair few, or a lot of client based actions. There's generally 3 different types of input methods, client based, client based w/ queue, purely server based.

B&S falls into the last (and worst) of those categories.

If your game is client based (or has lots of client based actions), then you press a button, it tells your computer, and your computer presses the button. Overall it takes about 5ms to perform an action.

If your game is server based with a queue, it means you can press 20 buttons, it tells your computer, your computer tells the server, and the server tells your computer to press the button. With 200ms it takes about 200ms (duh) to perform an action, but since it queue's up the actions, there's about the same delay as a client based action system after the first button press as long as you don't stop.

If you game is entirely server based, it means you can press 20 buttons, it tells your computer, your computer tells the server, and the server will tell your computer it can press the first button, but not the other 19.

That last one is how B&S works. You have to press a button, then that action goes around the world once, comes back to you, then you can press another button. That's why 200 ping in this game feels so much worse than other games.

To answer the actual question though, the development team have no intention of trying to change this system because they don't care. The only way to improve your massive delay would be to be closer to the server. But of course once more they don't care about having servers in the SEA/Oceanic region, so it comes down to the age old solution of if you want to play an online game that relies on ping, don't live in the SEA region, because according to game devs, you don't exist.

10 minutes ago, LagIncarnate said:

The reason a lot of other games don't seem as bad as B&S does with 200+ ping is because most games have a fair few, or a lot of client based actions. There's generally 3 different types of input methods, client based, client based w/ queue, purely server based.

B&S falls into the last (and worst) of those categories.

If your game is client based (or has lots of client based actions), then you press a button, it tells your computer, and your computer presses the button. Overall it takes about 5ms to perform an action.

If your game is server based with a queue, it means you can press 20 buttons, it tells your computer, your computer tells the server, and the server tells your computer to press the button. With 200ms it takes about 200ms (duh) to perform an action, but since it queue's up the actions, there's about the same delay as a client based action system after the first button press as long as you don't stop.

If you game is entirely server based, it means you can press 20 buttons, it tells your computer, your computer tells the server, and the server will tell your computer it can press the first button, but not the other 19.

That last one is how B&S works. You have to press a button, then that action goes around the world once, comes back to you, then you can press another button. That's why 200 ping in this game feels so much worse than other games.

To answer the actual question though, the development team have no intention of trying to change this system because they don't care. The only way to improve your massive delay would be to be closer to the server. But of course once more they don't care about having servers in the SEA/Oceanic region, so it comes down to the age old solution of if you want to play an online game that relies on ping, don't live in the SEA region, because according to game devs, you don't exist.

Thank you quite explains a lot, I thought about playing in Taiwan, China, or Korean servers but how the well would I freaking understand since most of the texts,characters, and people cant comprehend english lol

Archived