when is this game not gonna run like dukie

Vau

i have heard it all and it all makes no sense. 

this game is not the most cpu taxing thing ever made. yes mmos use more cpu but this one does not use any more than any other. that assumption is just dumb. its a 5 year old game anyone with a somewhat recent cpu has the power to run this. 

the game does run on more than one core, it even uses hyperthreading, i run hardware monitors and have played with affinity. disabling or limiting the game to physical cores does not help. 

also the game does not fully use any of my cores. this debunks the cpu cant handle it thoery. even limited to 2 cores they never reach the 95% threshold.

the game only uses 40% of my GPU max. and it fluctuates to zero % frequently. if there is a way to make it use 100% i have not found it. my power setting are all set to max performance.

speedstep and all c states are of in my bios. this did not help my performance at all.

my pc is not overheating, my gpu is brand new and never goes above 65c. it is overclocked to 1500mhz 1680 boost stable. cpu runs at 45-50c and got brand new thermal paste when i was installing my GPU.

someone told me the game runs bad because the cpu has to handle particles and costumes. i want some of those drugs. GPUs have been handling particles and physics since before the 8800gtx was king. BF4 has well over 30 different camo types and they dont make the game run like shit. other mmos have skins for every piece of your armor, same story.

i keep reading about people and there miracle fixes, hey look i did this and poof 60 fps around 80 people doing BW! when is my decent pc gonna be able to run this pos over 30 fps.

it wouldn't *cricket* me off so much if it was a stable 30 at its worse, but the microstutter and mini freezes while roaming around are maddening. this game should not run like this. how can you make money releasing something most people cannot play at a decent framerate. why is this game not using my hardware to its fullest capability. its not like im expecting a 32 bit program to use all my ram, im just expecting a decent playable experience out of the box. its not like to company has not had plenty of time figuring it out. 

i get decent fps in 6 mans, and it does not matter how many mobs get pulled, just minor hitching which again is maddening, so it has nothing to do with the number of mobs around or anything like that. open world content and 24 mans just run like shit and there is no reason for it.

It is a cpu problem. When I run blackwyrm, the moment it roars, my fps spikes up because no one is attacking and the cpu isn't calculating numbers from other players anymore. This is with characters hidden, so the gpu isn't doing anything but animating bw and myself.

its not cpu, i can be standing around 60 people doing nothing and my fps sucks, not to mention if i increase my graphics for non cpu intensive applications i get a slight fps drop.

a *cricket*ing fps drop when my gpu is running at 25% due to graphics. 

the client is and absolute piece of trash dont try and defend it. my CPU is not calculating jack shit sitting around a few people doing nothing at 25-30% load.

not to mention its frequently stoping to take a shit while it load in textures while my gpu utilizes a whopping 300MB, 150mb of that is probably my *cricket*ing desktop.

to be honest. im not even mad that i might as well be playing this game on a $300 asus netbook with the performance im getting. 

what really pisses me of is nothing is smooth. the game stutters and freezes like crazy. there is low fps playable trash, then there is the current BnS client.

kudos if you won the lottery or beasted through the crap with a 5000 dollar pc. just realize the people who cant are not gonna pay/put up with it for long. the omg its new will wear off.

Now if only there's a way to turn off the fx in the game, like totally turn it off. cause I notice fps drop mostly occurs when there's a lot of effect on screen (> 3). I'm thinking it's the particle rendering algorithm being horrible. If there's a hack to do that, I don't mind trying it on a dummy account to see if it really reduces the fps drop rate

A friend of mine couldn't take the low fps issue and dropped the game.

I'm a trooper but I can see people having the same experience.

I really wish we could turn off all effects just to check if that would help, they arent that important anyway

9 minutes ago, Catgravy said:

I don't have any of these issues. I'm running an AMD8350 CPU, on an ASUS M5A97 Mobo. 16gig RAM, Nvidia GT650Ti, on DSL, running 1920x1280 on a 40" screen.

You've got low standards and a feeble box which, based on age, might actually run the game better than a modern high performance rig.  You apparently also have a non-standard monitor and a poor understanding of how computer magic works ( 40" screen makes no difference ).

People who fork over for performance expect performance, and are understandably disappointed when they don't get performance.  Plus, some players legit cannot handle choppy frames.  Gives them something similar to motion sickness.

2 hours ago, Meerkat said:

You've got low standards and a feeble box which, based on age, might actually run the game better than a modern high performance rig.  You apparently also have a non-standard monitor and a poor understanding of how computer magic works ( 40" screen makes no difference ).

People who fork over for performance expect performance, and are understandably disappointed when they don't get performance.  Plus, some players legit cannot handle choppy frames.  Gives them something similar to motion sickness.

it just give me disappointment and the desire to play something that actually looks good and uses my hardware :/ 

Just now, Meerkat said:

I fully understand that the size of the monitor makes no difference in gaming speed, frames, etc. I was just adding that part in for fun. And sure, my system isn't elite, but I buy bang for the buck, and I have yet to find anything that I cannot run decently. Sure if I were single, no children, etc... I could have an elite box, but I have other priorities in my life, and I am not getting any younger. Been in IT professionally since 1983. You name it, I've probably worked on it. Mainframes, mid-range, etc. Networks, telephony, servers,

3 minutes ago, Catgravy said:

I fully understand that the size of the monitor makes no difference in gaming speed, frames, etc. I was just adding that part in for fun. And sure, my system isn't elite, but I buy bang for the buck, and I have yet to find anything that I cannot run decently. Sure if I were single, no children, etc... I could have an elite box, but I have other priorities in my life, and I am not getting any younger. Been in IT professionally since 1983. You name it, I've probably worked on it. Mainframes, mid-range, etc. Networks, telephony, servers,

Then you should understand why people are disappointed in the game's shoddy performance.

I've got about 8,000 ft. of spooled Cat5e in back, and haven't bought an actual Cat5 cable in about five years.  Feels good.

My point is that I know I don't run an elite performing system, and that it is around the medium range area... but I haven't seen any of these issues. I don't understand why people are seeing CPU or any type of system issues, unless they have a low grade system, or OS issue, software issue or ISP. I have seen where Anti-virus programs can cause havoc with some software. Maybe that could be it. When it comes to troubleshooting, you have to look at everything, nothing can be ruled out, even if it doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Catgravy said:

My point is that I know I don't run an elite performing system, and that it is around the medium range area... but I haven't seen any of these issues. I don't understand why people are seeing CPU or any type of system issues, unless they have a low grade system, or OS issue, software issue or ISP. I have seen where Anti-virus programs can cause havoc with some software. Maybe that could be it. When it comes to troubleshooting, you have to look at everything, nothing can be ruled out, even if it doesn't make sense.

The reasons for the poor performance ( and massive amounts of hacks and bots ) predominately stem from the extremely antiquated engine.  Keep in mind this game was announced in about 2009, with the first release candidates available for beta testing probably around 2011.  It's still using the DX9.0c API which at this point is entirely obsolete, but the problem is, graphics hardware will be "built with a DX version in mind" in order to take advantage of the features on offer.

While I don't pretend to be a game programmer, I did get to speak with a guy who writes hacks and he told me Unreal 3 has very poor in-engine player validation, so apparently the server will just take at face value where the client reports their position to be without applying any logical checks ( player cannot be out of world, player cannot have moved two miles in a second ) which makes it very easy to write hacks for teleportation, noclipping, infinite damage, etc.

Anecdotally, I went from a GTX 680 to a GTX 980 Ti and saw no improvement in performance at all.  Normally locked 60 fps if I'm alone, dipping to as low as 25 FPS in say the Darkglimpse with six players, effects and all that crappy background "mist."

The game is having insane memory leaks (which they keep hiding people's post when it's brought up) they game starts at 20% or so ram usage, and by the end of the night it's up 40%+ But should we be surprised with the terrible coding of this game? Not really considering they can't even right simple code for their forums or the game to remove bots/spam; also not to  mention the game has not been optimized at all, you can tell simply from the loading screens that are always random in time variations including logging in/out (yes i'm talking about the same zones). If you compare this to KR you will see that logging in, and out is almost instant, where as our client takes ages even with current gen computers, and SSD's.

But fair not! New rng boxes to come, and Hongmoon store updates, with content not ready to be released, but will be released and not balanced before fixing the simpler issues. *cough* BOTS/SPAM *cough* excuse me there, getting sick with all the BS I read on this forum with children suckling off of NCsofts you know what.   

I am going to feel your pain tonight people. I am traveling this week for work, and I have BnS on my thumb drive, and am running it off of a Lenovo T430 laptop over a hotel wireless!!! This should be a hoot. I probably won't do any actual playing as I know that is a death waiting to happen. But I should be able to do some daily spins!!! LOL!!

4 minutes ago, Catgravy said:

I am going to feel your pain tonight people. I am traveling this week for work, and I have BnS on my thumb drive, and am running it off of a Lenovo T430 laptop over a hotel wireless!!! This should be a hoot. I probably won't do any actual playing as I know that is a death waiting to happen. But I should be able to do some daily spins!!! LOL!!

Inb4 you report better performance than any of the above posters x)

To be honest, I don't really notice any what I would call frame rate problems.  (then again, none of my characters are high enough to bother with Blackwrym)  What I do notice, is that at the beginning of every play session the client frequently simply locks up for seconds at a time.  I assume it's caching textures or something, particularly since it only seems to happen early into a play session.  Be nice if it would simply keep the load screen going or w/e until it's actually finished loading, or if they'd figure out a way to cache whatever asynchronously.  (Incidentally, I've also noticed there's no sound for the first second or two after loading, then mail, crafting finished messages, etc. sorta blares all at once.)

(Note:  Just because a game starts at 20% usage and increases to 40% doesn't necessarily mean it's leaking memory.  It could simply be caching textures and stuff for later use.  I've definitely noticed the second time into any particular dungeon loads much faster, so there definitely is caching going on.  And if you're only at 40% usage, assuming access is fast it doesn't make much sense to purge it.)  Now, if each time you go into a particular dungeon with the same group in the same outifts/etc. and it keeps growing each time, then yeah.  There's probably a leak going on there.

3 hours ago, GnatB said:

To be honest, I don't really notice any what I would call frame rate problems.  (then again, none of my characters are high enough to bother with Blackwrym)  What I do notice, is that at the beginning of every play session the client frequently simply locks up for seconds at a time.  I assume it's caching textures or something, particularly since it only seems to happen early into a play session.  Be nice if it would simply keep the load screen going or w/e until it's actually finished loading, or if they'd figure out a way to cache whatever asynchronously.  (Incidentally, I've also noticed there's no sound for the first second or two after loading, then mail, crafting finished messages, etc. sorta blares all at once.)

(Note:  Just because a game starts at 20% usage and increases to 40% doesn't necessarily mean it's leaking memory.  It could simply be caching textures and stuff for later use.  I've definitely noticed the second time into any particular dungeon loads much faster, so there definitely is caching going on.  And if you're only at 40% usage, assuming access is fast it doesn't make much sense to purge it.)  Now, if each time you go into a particular dungeon with the same group in the same outifts/etc. and it keeps growing each time, then yeah.  There's probably a leak going on there.

ive noticed if you farm something it tends to run better over time, but the question has to be asked, why are there loading screens if it does not load what it needs, and why do open world games stream everything so much better with no fps loss. unfortunately although it does get better over time if your sitting in one area when you windwalk your back to square one and i still get random stuttering in combat plus ridiculous high fps drops as soon as a few people walk on screen. some areas are worse than others. some parts run like crap in the same spot all to time.  once your 45 your not spending much time in one spot, your zipping around doing dailys so a problem that was alway there gets blown up and very noticeable. 

not to mention the game does not use your cpu or gpu properly. new cards are idling at 20% playing this game, the cpu is not giving the gpu enough to do and it even causes the core clock to drop or ignore overclocks due to low utilization.

sorry ab out the wait @Vau just woke up. So the reason that it seems to get better if you  run the same thing over and over farming is that the cacheing of the data needed is held in ram and not being swapped out over and over. Even thou the game has its own addressing table to memory the os can see that this one file or many files are being used over and over. so instead of flushing its data from mem ore it is keeping it idle until it is called again so you don't have a slow down calling it from disk.

Archived