Forums

Need DPS meter in the game.

AndJerry

We need to have DPS meter in the game to compare with DPS of other party members. Not only DPS but also damage taken, CC per minutes, and etc. so we can know who is bad player and who isn't. We need solid evidence to insult other party members if they are not doing anything. Who knows, maybe you can also use this DPS meter to ban bots.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way to see what your personal DPS is currently?  I'd enjoy this tool for the simple ability to test, min/max, and improve my personal performance.  It has nothing to do with other players or classes.  I just like to test mechanics and build my character to succeed.

11 minutes ago, AndJerry said:

Not only DPS but also damage taken, CC per minutes, and etc. so we can know who is bad player and who isn't. We need solid evidence to insult other party members if they are not doing anything.

Insulting and calling out bad people for not being as skilled is why I don't like dps meters in games. It can be used as a helpful tool to help yourself and others, but people take it too far with insulting and calling out bad people.

16 minutes ago, AndJerry said:

We need to have DPS meter in the game to compare with DPS of other party members. Not only DPS but also damage taken, CC per minutes, and etc. so we can know who is bad player and who isn't. We need solid evidence to insult other party members if they are not doing anything. Who knows, maybe you can also use this DPS meter to ban bots.

Its already in game. Go to mushins tower and kill 7th boss and check how long it took and calculate it urself.

Heck you can do it with any boss in game but requires you to set timer. Not so hard last time i calculated my own dps  it was somewhere around 8-9k as sin

Dps meters ruin mmos imo. Sure, it gives an indicator of who's awake in the party but it can disrupt the group synergy and force mistakes in reaction time. Players spend the entire time staring at the meter and not the actual fight. Certain classes cannot sustain dps like others simply because of class type or build. For example, you can't evenly compare a SMN to a KFM in terms of sustainability. I think it would be very obvious to a group if someone is not pulling their weight simply by monitoring what skills they're using and when they use them. For example, if the SMN isn't using Petal Storm during range attack phases then they're a baddie or if the Destroyer isn't knocking down or stunning during an obvious telegraphed attack then they're a baddie. Simply knowing your class is a far better indicator than a damage number imo.

The inconvenient of a dps meter  are greater then the advantage so no it shouldn't be  in game.Because next you would see ok i just want certain classes and people would check your gear your soulshield and so forth and discrimination would start all over the place and  it would be very hard to get better gear and start to do decent damage.

This is probably the most hotly debated topic in MMO history :) and it will never get solved. too many people on both sides of the park. All I know is that over here in NA we don't need any more reasons for jerks to act like jerks, and DPS meters have the tendency to do just that.

Instead, they should provide a controlled envioronment in mushins tower where you can go at a dummy and check your personal DPS. but we don't need them in group settings. Mushin's is the perfect place for something like that, and it can stay in there. I'm all for giving people ways to check and improve their personal stats, but elitists and FotM players don't need any fuel for griefing in groups.

You can call me jerk or a hole. But remember this: at the end of the end, I try hard to do as much as I can do in whatever people party I'm in, and I know there are either people who do not deserve to be in the group or who are geared enough but doesn't try hard enough. If there's a person who doesn't know how to fly in BSH, it's okay, and I understand because I know that at some point, we are all noobs. However, I don't tolerate players who just goes into cross server BSH with profane ss or infernal weapon. I call out to them and tell them they don't do jack sheit. Now, you tell me. Who is the real jerk or a hole. If you think I am an a hole for calling out those free loaders, so be it. Running BSH isn't a big deal, but people who just come without preparing anything (i.e profane ss or infernal weapon) are just disrespectful in my book. In dungeon, it's a team game, and if they don't do jack sheit, I will call them out and insult them anytime. Call me whatever you want for it.

A personal dps meter would be great imo, that way we don't have to like clear a whole dungeon or so to get a limited hp sack (most of which regen, to, so it doesn't really help) and instead can just hit on a dummy and know what kind of damage we dealt in a period of time.

And about party members: I rarely ever do pugs, so I really don't care, but I know it'd *cricket* me off if someone with lv36 bopae hops into big4 (main reason why I don't pug them, apart from the fact they're easy to solo on any class)

Not gonna happen, period. 
NCSoft is well known to not allow any addon on their games, since decades.

Plus, dps meter is just for the elitist jerks. I like more one doing less dps but surviving than the usual kid doing tons of dps and dyeing in every mechanic

For all those who have not experienced a DPS meter:

Imagine Dokumo. We have a fresh lvl45 Assassin with still the lvl 36 weapon (infernal) against a HM4-5 Forcemaster with BSH or whatever. The assassin player is experienced, but the class itself is a single target class. The forcemaster player performs below average, but forcemaster is an AoE class (area bombing class). Now what will you think the DPS will look like? The forcemaster will likely have double or triple the DPS of the assassin until we hit the boss.

All bosses in BnS (I really wonder why) are designed to kill melee players. Usually, a boss in any MMO is designed to have at least two stances; melee and ranged (in Tera they even have 3 stances; the 3rd is a hybrid stance). Melee we know in BnS, bosses just hit. The ranged would be a magic spell or hurling anything at forcemasters. In fact, the bosses in BnS just jump or run (Brightstone: roll) towards the ranged players. This is what additionally would distort the numbers in a BnS-DPS meter. A melee will never bring the same DPS like a ranged class (see also Blackwyrm).

This is why, actually with this setup, I would refrain from implementing a DPS meter into BnS.

44 minutes ago, rembro said:

Not gonna happen, period. 
NCSoft is well known to not allow any addon on their games, since decades.

Plus, dps meter is just for the elitist jerks. I like more one doing less dps but surviving than the usual kid doing tons of dps and dyeing in every mechanic

Aion got one ^^

26 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Imagine Dokumo. We have a fresh lvl45 Assassin with still the lvl 36 weapon (infernal) against a HM4-5 Forcemaster with BSH or whatever. The assassin player is experienced, but the class itself is a single target class. The forcemaster player performs below average, but forcemaster is an AoE class (area bombing class). Now what will you think the DPS will look like? The forcemaster will likely have double or triple the DPS of the assassin until we hit the boss.

You just see a DPS Meter as a tool to show other players that they are making no dmg. I don´t like to think of a DPS Meter that way. I would like to test the dmg of my builds. For example, how much dmg do I exactly lose when I build with more CC skills. Right now there are sooo much builds and everyone says that his is the best but you will never know.

Still, its more important, that all member of a group are working together and if you can defeat the Boss it doesn´t matter who made more dmg. But this shouldn´t be the point of having a DPS Meter.

I really do want one. :<

Just now, Elmala said:

Still, its more important, that all member of a group are working together and if you can defeat the Boss it doesn´t matter who made more dmg. But this shouldn´t be the point of having a DPS Meter.

This is a noble intention - to improve ones' own performance.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I've experienced myself the introduction of the first DPS meter in WoW classic. At first, there were 2 competing DPS meters and they were quite inaccurate. With time, they got better and better. Back then, I was a progress player. Our whole raid group was so fixated on this tool, it became toxic. Voices requested to kick raidmembers with lowest DPS output. Suddenly single target DPS classes started to do idiotics things just to boost DPS. Players did not evade attacks because of DPS loss and let healers compensate it. DPS players did not use aggro reducing skills as they bring no DPS. So our tanks lost aggro and the raid got wiped. In the end, raid management forbid the DPS meter. It only got better as we got an Aggro-meter.

Keep in mind that all kind of dumb people use the DPS meter. Often you heard people to kick the tank or healer "because of low DPS".

Having experienced a DPS meter, I can see the advantages and disadvantages. The toxic disadvantages are far more concerning than the advantages. NCsoft/Team Bloodlust should just put in a training dummy ground to measure DPS in that special place without the ability to post it in chat.

Archived