HM Skill book drop rates too low

Nholan

Hello,

I think the current drop rates of the skill books are too low. We're rushing pretty fast through the content atm and we will probably be 50 in about 2-3 months. The skill books only drop on bsh 4 and in my 12 runs i have yet to see just one. Since we dont have this much time to farm them and also they are very important for pvp i think they should be either drop in bsh 6 too or drastically increase the drop rate. It's just the combination of every class need their own books + a very low drop rate which makes it very hard to get hands on those, which would be fine if they wouldn't be so important for pvp.

So how do you guys think about the current state of the drop rate?

39 minutes ago, Yuhika said:

I don't like the idea of having to hunt for important skills period.

Might I ask why? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just... To me, it seems like to help increase the longevity of an MMOs life, and increase the desire to run certain dungeons, even the artificial (and yes, I do realize it is truly artificial) longevity increase that is low drop rates is a good thing. I mean, the skills ARE important, so you're going to want to get more skillful players together, work on your own skills, and actually feel a sense of accomplishment when you actually do get the skill you want.

I dunno, maybe because I'm old enough that I played through MMOs like FFXI back when a relic weapon took nearly 2-3 years to fully upgrade, I just don't find myself being bothered by a 'long' grind for something invaluable to your character.

3 minutes ago, Krosa said:

Might I ask why? I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just... To me, it seems like to help increase the longevity of an MMOs life, and increase the desire to run certain dungeons, even the artificial (and yes, I do realize it is truly artificial) longevity increase that is low drop rates is a good thing. I mean, the skills ARE important, so you're going to want to get more skillful players together, work on your own skills, and actually feel a sense of accomplishment when you actually do get the skill you want.

I dunno, maybe because I'm old enough that I played through MMOs like FFXI back when a relic weapon took nearly 2-3 years to fully upgrade, I just don't find myself being bothered by a 'long' grind for something invaluable to your character.

That's prolonging the grind, not the actual lifespan of the game. Being forced to go through RNG for something as important as skills is ridiculous, when there's a ton of skills, and when you're hunting for a specific one it could take an insanely long time. I understand if it was for an item or weapon, but for skills just seems wrong, when they're a lot more important to have than a lot of other things.

7 minutes ago, Krosa said:

I've played a lot of MMO's too.

I'll grind for a lot of things, skills doesn't seem right though. Gear, costumes, money, sure. Don't gimp me by making an ability I need nearly impossible to find though.

I may have played a lot of MMO's but it doesn't mean I've accepted their lame practices.

If you make a good game, one that treats the customers well and where the little things are taken care of properly that's when you don't have to rely on tricks and traps to keep people around.

If loot, dungeons, pve and pve were done better, they wouldn't need to make skills unnecessarily difficult to get to ensure longevity. 

NCSoft provided us with the currency exchange, so we know they aren't completely motivated by greed and do listen to the players to a degree. How much greed is a motivator, and how much they actually do listen to the players is a discussion for a different topic, but my point is they've listened to other requests the playerbase asked of them. I don't see any reason not fix this, as it's a lot more reasonable than some other requests I've seen. Upping the drop rate a little bit, and making it so only your class skills drop would already be enough, though it'd be a whole lot better if RNG was removed. Maybe a token item of some sort, and a NPC that sells these skills. I just don't see why not

17 minutes ago, ServerAreDown said:

same with complaining about rng

If someone puts dog shit in your bag every single day, do you think ignoring it is the best solution? These skills are important to be a part of the meta, it's not something people who plan on PvPing can actually ignore. 

18 minutes ago, OddFinrir said:

You're honestly better off buying most of them a little later in the future. You can make more gold than the market price in the time you spent farming the instance, sadly.

You can buy them?

2 minutes ago, GreenBunionSoup said:

If someone puts dog shit in your bag every single day, do you think ignoring it is the best solution? These skills are important to be a part of the meta, it's not something people who plan on PvPing can actually ignore. 

Okay lets break it down, lets say someone is putting dog poo in my bag every single day. Who is putting the dog poo? lets say NC putting dog poo in my bag. I can simply ignore it and not take it with me. I could just buy something I want instead of taking the dog poo that appears in front of me every single day hoping that it'll be something else. No one is forcing me to take the dog poo with me and I certainly don't want to keep the dog poo.

1 minute ago, ServerAreDown said:

Okay lets break it down, lets say someone is putting dog poo in my bag every single day. Who is putting the dog poo? lets say NC putting dog poo in my bag. I can simply ignore it and not take it with me. I could just buy something I want instead of taking the dog poo that appears in front of me every single day hoping that it'll be something else. No one is forcing me to take the dog poo with me and I certainly don't want to keep the dog poo.

And then you're forced to give up a bag in return, and in our case, giving up our time. It's not just once either, it's a lot. These skills are pretty important, and telling us to just deal with it instead of actually trying to change what we find as a faulty system is not an argument

3 minutes ago, GreenBunionSoup said:

And then you're forced to give up a bag in return, and in our case, giving up our time. It's not just once either, it's a lot. These skills are pretty important, and telling us to just deal with it instead of actually trying to change what we find as a faulty system is not an argument

Is the skill more important than your time or is your time more important than the skill? idk about you but this is a free to play game with a lot of rng aspect in it. The only thing you should be worrying about is paid rng. You ether get super lucky or just plain unlucky on rng drop. 

Just now, ServerAreDown said:

Is the skill more important than your time or is your time more important than the skill? idk about you but this is a free to play game with a lot of rng aspect in it. The only thing you should be worrying about is paid rng. You ether get super lucky or just plain unlucky on rng drop. 

Just because it's free doesn't mean we can't have issues with certain aspects of it. The reason why I ask for changes like this is because I personally like this game, and I want to see it improve. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. 

6 minutes ago, LinaCrysta said:

They are tradeable...ppl sell plenty of em in market.some classes pricier than others though.but the option is there

How much do they usually go for?

9 minutes ago, GreenBunionSoup said:

Just because it's free doesn't mean we can't have issues with certain aspects of it. The reason why I ask for changes like this is because I personally like this game, and I want to see it improve. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism. 

Yea there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism but when it involve rng there is nothing you can do about it. As I said before, you either super lucky or just plain unlucky. You put that you ran it 12 times and you're already complaining about it being super low. You can also buy them in the market ranging from 100-300g depending on the class. This is also part of your end game grinding that you have to do, just like moonwater trans stones.

17 minutes ago, GreenBunionSoup said:

Why does his region matter? Pretty sure NA and EU are both the same

NA/EU = 1 region, then you have KR, JP, CN and TW.

Since we are also the only region with L45 HM+5, we are also getting content that other regions didn't got until they hit L50. So certain task may seem impossible ATM, may get resolved later once we get more L50 contents. Soulstone is a perfect example of this.

BTW, one thing that many player likely do not even know about, is in other regions you need have to craft a special HM item (24 hr?) via clan crafting in order to unlock your HM skill. Here in NA/EU we were given access to it for free. If NA had kept this requirement, it is very likely only <5% of the population can even unlocked HM1 today, nevermind having the need to farm for HM skillbooks. This is like the Merry Potter tech during week one where everyone and their grandmother wanted one. ;p

EDIT: UNLOCKING HONGMOON SECRET TECHNIQUE (for CN)

Cost for 3 pills:

●1 Gold
●20 Faction Medals (From Faction Daily Quests)
●100 Spirit Stones
●15 Silver Coins (From Daily Quests)

● 20 Crystal Potion Essence (Crafted by Medicine Guild, or simply buy them from AH)
● 150 Moonwater Tokens (Various daily quests)
● 3 Training Certificates (Exchanged with 5000 PVP Beans at PVP Merchant)
● 50 Moonwater Refine Stones (Big 4 / Pohwaran 24)
● 15 Evil Girl Flute (Pohwaran Daily Quests)

Approval required:

You also need members from 5 different Level 3 crafting profession to approve the crafting process:
●Medicine Guild
●Fishing Guild
●Chef’s Guild
●Herbalist’s Guild
●Hunter’s Guild

Then wait 3 days.

11 minutes ago, ServerAreDown said:

Yea there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism but when it involve rng there is nothing you can do about it. As I said before, you either super lucky or just plain unlucky. You put that you ran it 12 times and you're already complaining about it being super low. You can also buy them in the market ranging from 100-300g depending on the class. This is also part of your end game grinding that you have to do, just like moonwater trans stones.

I didn't say I ran it 12 times, that was someone else. Our issue is the fact that it is RNG, so yes there is something they can do about that. Remove the RNG. It wouldn't be that difficult of a thing to make it so you get an item from the dungeon, and have a NPC that sells those skillbooks somewhere at a reasonable price. 100 gold for a skillbook is not reasonable, especially since the most coveted skills are not gonna just be 100 gold. Grinding is not the same as content, something like this is not a great way to occupy time once we're at end game. Grinding is fine, but when it's such a low chance to get something that probably won't be what you're trying to get, that's just not how a game should be played. You have to be insanely lucky, not just a bit lucky, to be able to get what you need.

10 minutes ago, AttacKat said:

NA/EU = 1 region, then you have KR, JP, CN and TW.

Since we are also the only region with L45 HM+5, we are also getting content that other regions didn't got until they hit L50. So certain task may seem impossible ATM, may get resolved later once we get more L50 contents. Soulstone is a perfect example of this.

BTW, one thing that many player likely do not even know about, is in other regions you need have to craft a special HM item (24 hr?) via clan crafting in order to unlock your HM skill. Here in NA/EU we were given access to it for free. If NA had kept this requirement, it is very likely only <5% of the population can even unlocked HM1 today, nevermind having the need to farm for HM skillbooks. This is like the Merry Potter tech during week one where everyone and their grandmother wanted one. ;p

I doubt they would make this topic here if they weren't in NA/EU

Archived