Windstorm damage tests ---- its a great skill

KamijoTouma

I made a brightstone ruins run to test windstorm. luckily I had some chances to use it.

Video is here: http://www.twitch.tv/cgxy1991/v/48702186

Please don't flame my rotation, I was all eyes on windstorm proc, didn;t really pay attention to dps rotation.

I inspected the windstorm parts of the video framewisely, I counted every damage number of windstorm.

first usage: 1:20

number of hits: 10, duration: 2.0 sec

damage numbers: 3193+3229+1748+3393+2015+2004+3466+1863+1910+1028 = 11924.5 dps

second usage 1:24

number of hits 22: duration 5.7 sec

damage numbers: 1146+3154+2011+3698+2094+2061+3687+3740+2045+1913+3499+3467+3551+3499+3824+2001+2100+1913+3499+2067+2017+1940 = 10338 dps

why the dps is lower? because I mistakenly inserted 2 LMB, otherwise the duration should be exactly 4.4sec which results in a dps of 13392

third usage 5:40(with teammates buffs)

number of hits: 10, durtation 2.0 sec

damage numbers: 3849+3939+2239+4244+3986+4008+4356+3905+4297+3768 = 19295.5 dps (all crits)

Also you may notice I never ran out of focus, but oppositely gaining focus ----- only the unlucky guys run out of focus when windstorm.

The above proves that windstorm is a skill worth to use and invest points on.

5 hours ago, Temjiu said:

I have been considering using windstorm more often, if only because it's there and mobs get tossed allot in group runs

We actually have more points than we need for PVE so investing 3 points in windstorm won't hurt your normal rotation

8 hours ago, KamijoTouma said:

I made a brightstone ruins run to test windstorm. luckily I had some chances to use it.

Video is here: http://www.twitch.tv/cgxy1991/v/48702186

Please don't flame my rotation, I was all eyes on windstorm proc, didn;t really pay attention to dps rotation.

I inspected the windstorm parts of the video framewisely, I counted every damage number of windstorm.

first usage: 1:20

number of hits: 10, duration: 2.0 sec

damage numbers: 3193+3229+1748+3393+2015+2004+3466+1863+1910+1028 = 11924.5 dps

second usage 1:24

number of hits 22: duration 5.7 sec

damage numbers: 1146+3154+2011+3698+2094+2061+3687+3740+2045+1913+3499+3467+3551+3499+3824+2001+2100+1913+3499+2067+2017+1940 = 10338 dps

why the dps is lower? because I mistakenly inserted 2 LMB, otherwise the duration should be exactly 4.4sec which results in a dps of 13392

third usage 5:40(with teammates buffs)

number of hits: 10, durtation 2.0 sec

damage numbers: 3849+3939+2239+4244+3986+4008+4356+3905+4297+3768 = 19295.5 dps (all crits)

Also you may notice I never ran out of focus, but oppositely gaining focus ----- only the unlucky guys run out of focus when windstorm.

The above proves that windstorm is a skill worth to use and invest points on.

I would say its a okay skill to invest in but i wouldnt say its great, as for ur dmg number, i must say they are quite big, but the point is tht they dont prove a thing after i tested it myself, and why is tht? because the whole scenario is based on Grabbed, Phantom Gripped, Grappled enemies, and these are way rare then a daze stun knockdown etc... who can grab bosses? i dont know any besides destroyer can, can these 3 conditions happen on other bosses such as poharan mujin for example? without destoyer meh i dont think possible. So no matter how hard it hits unless tonnes, its conditions are hard to meet which in turns = not a great skill.

And last thing i have tested, u cant windstorm on the target that ur grabbing by urself.. So nth here in self single target dps rotation. In parties, if u have extra point, invest 1 at least for the crit buff is good enough id say.

Just now, InoriYuzurihaDesu said:

I would say its a okay skill to invest in but i wouldnt say its great, as for ur dmg number, i must say they are quite big, but the point is tht they dont prove a thing after i tested it myself, and why is tht? because the whole scenario is based on Grabbed, Phantom Gripped, Grappled enemies, and these are way rare then a daze stun knockdown etc... who can grab bosses? i dont know any besides destroyer can, can these 3 conditions happen on other bosses such as poharan mujin for example? without destoyer meh i dont think possible. So no matter how hard it hits unless tonnes, its conditions are hard to meet which in turns = not a great skill.

And last thing i have tested, u cant windstorm on the target that ur grabbing by urself.. So nth here in self single target dps rotation. In parties, if u have extra point, invest 1 at least for the crit buff is good enough id say.

Based on my experience, in most dungeon runs I can use it on a boss once or twice. And just now I used it on poharan and enjoyed the 4k numbers.

And boss #1 in bloodshape is counted as "grappled" when he drops from the ceiling

And dont forget the numbers. Its dps is far more superior to other skills. 10k-15k dps vs 6k dps.

And also dont forget this skill doesnt generate GCD.

19 minutes ago, KamijoTouma said:

Based on my experience, in most dungeon runs I can use it on a boss once or twice. And just now I used it on poharan and enjoyed the 4k numbers.

And boss #1 in bloodshape is counted as "grappled" when he drops from the ceiling

And dont forget the numbers. Its dps is far more superior to other skills. 10k-15k dps vs 6k dps.

And also dont forget this skill doesnt generate GCD.

Thats true once or twice, and numbers are good, and u only mentioned boss #1, so that means this condition is not applicable to all the bosses. This already explains its harsh conditions but anyways lets carry on. 10k-15k dps vs 6k dps in a gcd or 1-2sec period? well basically doesnt prove anything because u cant windstorm all the time, may be a 1 minute dummy can do etc...and again we simply cant simulate a 1min grab or even a 30sec grab on dummy or bosses in a period, 6sec grab with 18sec cd from destroyer, so everything = use it only when ur in a party and with destroyer in ur team, any other soloing conditions, this skill is a big No except just crit buff. Have u ever used this skill in mushin tower? i believe no force masters ever did. :)

30 minutes ago, InoriYuzurihaDesu said:

Thats true once or twice, and numbers are good, and u only mentioned boss #1, so that means this condition is not applicable to all the bosses. This already explains its harsh conditions but anyways lets carry on. 10k-15k dps vs 6k dps in a gcd or 1-2sec period? well basically doesnt prove anything because u cant windstorm all the time, may be a 1 minute dummy can do etc...and again we simply cant simulate a 1min grab or even a 30sec grab on dummy or bosses in a period, 6sec grab with 18sec cd from destroyer, so everything = use it only when ur in a party and with destroyer in ur team, any other soloing conditions, this skill is a big No except just crit buff. Have u ever used this skill in mushin tower? i believe no force masters ever did. :)

No matter how harsh the conditions are, there is still many chances. And once you use it out, it is a HUGE damage boost. It doesn't last long, but it still provides extra damage that is far more worth than 3 points(that you may invest in frost fury). In the second boss fight in my video, windstorm roughly provides 40k extra damage in 6.4 sec(ignoring my mistake). I will call this a very significant number.

In simple words, you have the chances to deal big extra damage, why don't catch them?

FM currently has spare points for PVE, there is no problem investing 3 point on windstorm.

And of course you dont use it in mushin tower.

14 hours ago, InoriYuzurihaDesu said:

The skill is available more than you may think.  I duo w/ summoner and the cat knockdown combo works well, once the cat has it pinned and I blow it up for 4.5k-4.9k crit spams..  We do this on bosses as well.  Blade Dancer can also pick up bosses entirely by themselves.  If it definitely easier if you have a destroyer or blade dancer in the group, but other classes pitch in.  As for BSH Harbor, I windstorm on all the bosses.  24 man it is almost unlimited windstorm spam as someone is always picking the bosses up / knocking them down.

Regardless though, we have a lot of extra skill points right now with Hongmoon levels, there is plenty to feed into windstorm for fun.  Do it or don't do it that is up to you, but i'm sure the original poster will be having plenty of fun with their decision to invest the few points.

The skill on paper looks good. However, it relies on allies or a party to utilize. 

Adding onto that, other classes have to spec into so it can be useful. 

Therefore, due to it being situational; its better off using those points somewhere else.

On 2016/2/22 at 5:12 PM, KamijoTouma said:

No matter how harsh the conditions are, there is still many chances. And once you use it out, it is a HUGE damage boost. It doesn't last long, but it still provides extra damage that is far more worth than 3 points(that you may invest in frost fury). In the second boss fight in my video, windstorm roughly provides 40k extra damage in 6.4 sec(ignoring my mistake). I will call this a very significant number.

In simple words, you have the chances to deal big extra damage, why don't catch them?

FM currently has spare points for PVE, there is no problem investing 3 point on windstorm.

And of course you dont use it in mushin tower.

Many chances there may be but again Only in parties. No one can change this fact. However if ur usually in a party rather than soloing, 3 points into it isnt bad because it does more dps than standard rotation i agree with tht. Mushin tower is a example of solo play, on any other soloing cases whether its open world soloing bosses or others, this is a 0 dmg skill.

On 2016/2/22 at 6:33 AM, Aquel said:

The skill is available more than you may think.  I duo w/ summoner and the cat knockdown combo works well, once the cat has it pinned and I blow it up for 4.5k-4.9k crit spams..  We do this on bosses as well.  Blade Dancer can also pick up bosses entirely by themselves.  If it definitely easier if you have a destroyer or blade dancer in the group, but other classes pitch in.  As for BSH Harbor, I windstorm on all the bosses.  24 man it is almost unlimited windstorm spam as someone is always picking the bosses up / knocking them down.

Regardless though, we have a lot of extra skill points right now with Hongmoon levels, there is plenty to feed into windstorm for fun.  Do it or don't do it that is up to you, but i'm sure the original poster will be having plenty of fun with their decision to invest the few points.

Thanks for ur info on bm can grab stuff too, but again all this happens in a party/duo, if ur always in a party, and do have extra points then feel free to spec it, besides duoing/parting, this is a 0 dmg skill in soloing as i said earlier.

Its the main reason tht i dont use this skill because i simply cant use it during soloing due to its harsh conditions, but for people that dont solo stuff often and party/duo a lot, 3 points isnt bad, because it actually is more dmg in a standard dps rotation.

Just a few cents of my own.

Tl;dr: Use Windstorm if youre often take agro in party content, otherwise dont use it and stick too burn LB+RB+2

Just from observation i`ve seen my 2-BlazeBeam to deal aprox 8.5-9.5k in single hit while Windstorm Deals 4-4.5x2(on grabbed enemy) that makes not a big DPS loss using Windstorm. Main point of using Windstorm T3F1 Is to not generate agro and give tank time to accumulate more threat. 

I still think LB+RB+2 on burned will deal more damage than windstorm, but you will lose not at all that much, not to mention that if you time youre abilities right, after windstorm can Follow-Up with 100% crit with TwinDragons or X-Inferno or even both. 

Windstorm is NOT SOLO content skill, you take it in party 4man like BSH and use it on bosses as Trasher or Terror because often time they are CC-ed and Grabbed by Tank. 

13 hours ago, InoriYuzurihaDesu said:

Many chances there may be but again Only in parties. No one can change this fact. However if ur usually in a party rather than soloing, 3 points into it isnt bad because it does more dps than standard rotation i agree with tht. Mushin tower is a example of solo play, on any other soloing cases whether its open world soloing bosses or others, this is a 0 dmg skill.

Thanks for ur info on bm can grab stuff too, but again all this happens in a party/duo, if ur always in a party, and do have extra points then feel free to spec it, besides duoing/parting, this is a 0 dmg skill in soloing as i said earlier.

Its the main reason tht i dont use this skill because i simply cant use it during soloing due to its harsh conditions, but for people that dont solo stuff often and party/duo a lot, 3 points isnt bad, because it actually is more dmg in a standard dps rotation.

I agree that this is only useful when you have a party / duo or running 24 man and someone is grappling bosses.  

I would be curious though what are all your points spent in?  I have an overflow of points at HM3 ( this is with 3 in Windstorm already allocated )  With burn build rotation, it has a lot of extra points to play around with so would be curious to see your build.  It is nice to see what other uses players have for skills that I would have normally not even bothered with but may be useful for something I didn't think about.

Windstorm is terms of raw dps is far inferior to the LB>RB>2 combo ive explained it before but basically how it goes is u can do probably about 4x the damage while being about to move and use less focus while also setting up duel dragons in that case itll be like wayyy higher dps plus not having to have the target cced and being able to keep a stable focus bar. TLDR for raw dps lbrb2 is far superior if ur lazy and jus use whatevs then use windstorm. This is ofc all pve oriented 

One thing to add. The damage growth of Windstorm(while grappled, grabbed or phantom gripped) is 3X.

If you know windstorm's mechanism, windstorm deals triple damage when the target is grappled, grabbed or phantom gripped.

This means for every 1 damage increase in base damage, the "ultimate" damage is increased by 3.

This then means the better gear you get, the stronger this skill is.

damage growth of some other skills:

fire fury: 1.666667

blaze beam: 1.6666667

dragon blaze: 1.222222 -note, should be replaced by blaze beam in later game, but still need to use it for buff.

meteor: 1.5

dual dragon: 2.0

compare to windstorm: 3.0

Archived