Need help building a pc

TripleBlack

4 hours ago, Victorion said:

In general, better hardware will provide better fps.

Building a new pc, should always be with priority of futureproofing. You may get bored with a specific game, and chances are that the next game you pickup may higher requirements than BnS.

At aroun d $1000 USD budget range, I challenge you to make a better build for BnS or any other modern game than this below.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.98 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($313.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.82 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1033.23

My only qualm with that one is the lack of 16GB RAM really.

Does the OP even want to overclock though? Because if not, stock cooling would be fine and you wouldn't need a K CPU.

To the OP;

It looks like a puzzle when you first build one but let me just give you a few pieces of advice.

-It all begins with the CPU, it is the base and will affect everything else.

-Once you are set on CPU model, you can shop for the best possible motherboard (with the feature you want on it) to go with it. The less junk, i.e integrated audio etc on it, the better. 

-The motherboard then dictate the type of RAM inside and the maximum amount (i.e triple channel for best; need to buy 3 stick kit, double channel 2..etc). Also note that all RAM stick aren't created equal, some are faster with lower internal timing on them; that's why price differ so much for 2 kits from the same company at equal frequency and amount (i.e CAS or CL, lower is better and pricier). 

-Then video card... can ask overclocking community if X videocard is overkill for X CPU type; some are, and a waste of money if the CPU hold it back aka bottleneck. Not worth it because the same card will be worth peanut in a year or two.

-With CPU, motherboard, RAM and Videocard chosen, can now chose the CPU watts powersupply and brand; the job is basically done at this point, rest is a walk in the park.. ssd-harddrive, case, soundcard, cd-rom, card reader, cooler-heatsink, keyboard-mouse, and whatever else you want to add on top.

To be honest, you need to do a little bit of research if you plan to build it yourself; at least the motherboard, to have it tailor fit your needs and be well aware what's inside your system. Also.. be mentally prepared, it feels like Christmas once all the brand new shiny pieces boxes come at your home and wait for all of them.. seriously. 

I see a lot of mention of gtx 970. I get 60-100 fps on max setting(except when theres 60 ppl bombing poh and everyone lags a little) on a gtx 960. I duel monitor too. I honestly wouldnt go 970 or 980 unless you were planning to upgrade to a 4k monitor. Here's my setup for about a grand(1164 before rebates). Couldn't be happier. I haven't even overclocked it like its meant to be because performance so good already. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hwPFRB Even if you dont use newegg or any of the site vendors it is still an excellent resource just to gather and organize your parts. Watch youtube vids most are on point. Don't build it near static-prone areas and use an antistatic wristband to be safe...is like $10. From the build above I'd get go 960 and use the money you save to get a better ssd so you can skip reg hard drive entirely. Also be careful with "mid tower" cases. I had to send 3 back when I made my pc because the measurements listed on newegg were bs. Really need a full size if you are using a 240mm liquid cooling setup, which I recommend. After several hours of gameplay I never break 30 C. Gl man.

.delete this pls. during mnt posted comment like 3 times i guess when i clicked enter/

2 hours ago, ElectricLyn said:

My only qualm with that one is the lack of 16GB RAM really.

Does the OP even want to overclock though? Because if not, stock cooling would be fine and you wouldn't need a K CPU.

No modern games need more than 8 GB ram. There is basically no difference between 8 GB, 16+ GB ram. It will have zero influence on your FPS.

Techspot made a clear report, of running 8 GB ram vs 16 GB ram in several games, with 65 open Chrome Tabs. Had zero impact on FPS.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html

1 hour ago, Exil said:

To the OP;

It looks like a puzzle when you first build one but let me just give you a few pieces of advice.

-It all begins with the CPU, it is the base and will affect everything else.....

Actually - in general when looking to build a gaming pc. You´re basically building around the GPU and not the CPU.

Reason is that the GPU is usually the bottleneck for modern games. So even if you have the fastest cpu, fastest ram etc - your game wont run faster than the videocard allows it.

You pick the best GPU you can afford, then couple it with a CPU that won´t bottleneck the videocard. Add 2 x 4 GB ram, with decent CL rate (doesn´t matter DDR3 or DDR4).

Thats the basic idea for building a gaming pc.

For hardcore gamers, you´ll also want overclocking for CPU and GPU and possibly rams. That means an overclockable cpu coupled with a mobo that allows overclocking. An aftermarket cooler than can keep temps down and a PSU that reliably can control the voltages with low noise. Without a proper PSU, overclocking results will be poor and components may even fail.

After that, you want to have a proper drive setup. Meaning at least 1 SSD and a normal HDD. For the perfectionist, you´d want 2 x M2. SSD + a storage drive.

Now that you got that down, you need to find a mobo that supports all your choices above and whether or not you want other feature-support, like SLI/CrossFire, more PCIe ports, lots of Ram slots, USB 3.0 support, etc.

Finally you got your components, and you want to look for a tower with good airflow, that fits all the components.

Building around CPU would basically be how you build a work-station or office pc. Not a gaming pc.

5 hours ago, Victorion said:

7Building around CPU would basically be how you build a work-station or office pc. Not a gaming pc.

i disagree with you but i respect your opinion. I think we can agree to the fact that cpu-gpu is a close relation with building any pc. For me, i look at it the other way around because cpu+motherboard+ram is, for me, a single item and the most important investment in my budget pocket. Could always upgrade vid card down the road, not so easy to switch the above 3 items.

anyway, just ranting, peace.

6 hours ago, Victorion said:

No modern games need more than 8 GB ram. There is basically no difference between 8 GB, 16+ GB ram. It will have zero influence on your FPS.

Techspot made a clear report, of running 8 GB ram vs 16 GB ram in several games, with 65 open Chrome Tabs. Had zero impact on FPS.

http://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html

Actually - in general when looking to build a gaming pc. You´re basically building around the GPU and not the CPU.

Reason is that the GPU is usually the bottleneck for modern games. So even if you have the fastest cpu, fastest ram etc - your game wont run faster than the videocard allows it.

You pick the best GPU you can afford, then couple it with a CPU that won´t bottleneck the videocard. Add 2 x 4 GB ram, with decent CL rate (doesn´t matter DDR3 or DDR4).

Thats the basic idea for building a gaming pc.

For hardcore gamers, you´ll also want overclocking for CPU and GPU and possibly rams. That means an overclockable cpu coupled with a mobo that allows overclocking. An aftermarket cooler than can keep temps down and a PSU that reliably can control the voltages with low noise. Without a proper PSU, overclocking results will be poor and components may even fail.

After that, you want to have a proper drive setup. Meaning at least 1 SSD and a normal HDD. For the perfectionist, you´d want 2 x M2. SSD + a storage drive.

Now that you got that down, you need to find a mobo that supports all your choices above and whether or not you want other feature-support, like SLI/CrossFire, more PCIe ports, lots of Ram slots, USB 3.0 support, etc.

Finally you got your components, and you want to look for a tower with good airflow, that fits all the components.

Building around CPU would basically be how you build a work-station or office pc. Not a gaming pc.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-pc-system-requiremen/1100-6435042/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

a game that recommends 16 GB of ram.

sorry to say this but victorion you really need to stop trying to tell people info you believe to be true from reading it on the internet.

in one of my thread you posted pcie 1.0 link speeds.

as for people that dont understand what they are doing and wanting to game they should not be overclocking.

at the most they should allow their  MainBoard overclock the system for them.  Main manufactures provide this and it work out well for the average user.

as for over clocking the GPU if this is done on nvidia side  got all out if you want unless you flash the bios the cards are safe on any  setting you try to throw at them.

As for  building pc's or any thing any one here is welcome to send me a private message and i will either make a parts list for you and  teach you step by step how to build the pc if it is you first time. I build custum  water cooled PC's for people and help those that want to learn.

qtK18vd.jpg

This of of my own pc well leak testing so you can see the inside clearer.

GJzwETF.jpg

And this is what it looks like closed up with all the lights on.

On 2/23/2016 at 0:27 AM, Victorion said:

so first off i would not reccoment a skylake cpu atm there is still a micro code problem when running AVX2

Here´s what you want:

-       Fast Skylake tech.

-       Overclockable cpu, with proper Z170 chipset mobo and great silent but efficient aircooler.

-       2 x 4 GB DDR4 Ram, running dual-channel.

-       Fast SSD for windows and games, and 1 TB storage drive

-       GTX 970 graphics card, will max out all games in FullHD (1080p). Can run 2k resolution too, at slightly lowered settings.

-       PSU with good ripple supression and excellent voltage regulation.

-       Cabinet with good airflow.

Basically, this will be good for any newer Tripple A game. Overkill for BnS – and should last you a good 4+ years.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.75 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($104.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: OCZ Trion 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.98 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($313.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($65.82 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($87.95 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1033.23

to start i would not reccoment a skylake cpu at this time there is a problem when running AVX2 instruction sets that will blue seen the machine.

this has been adressed by intel with a microcode update but only one  MB vender has pushed it out in any bio version.

second is the ram if you are going to skylake  you would want to start around 2666 with an XMP profile.

third you chose a  SSD with a known issue that  the drive will run out of SLC cache and  slow down every few second.

and the last one is if you cant tell a person how to get windows legaly for  20-30 UDS you are worthless.

All the bickering in this thread for no reason. 

Allow me to point something out to you elitist yapping back and forth.

I lurk the forums pretty much daily, and i hardly ever see players who have a " out of the box" rig with complaints. It's always someone swinging the salami around with I spent lot of money on my system, and why can't I play the game. 

This gives you two choices donate that "gaming rig" of yours to charity and go spend 300 bucks for a entry level rig at Best Buy, Pop that mobo out upgrade it to top -tier mobo; Pop the OEM GPU out upgrade it to a 100 buck GPU, add another 8 gigs of RAM to the system, and play the game. 

Apparently when you chose your parts you failed in the area of compatibility, due to your Ego saying buy this because it will make you look cool. Fall back and help the OP with options and let him get what works for him.  Make a new thread about salami swinging, due to it is entertaining to watch the back and forth.

My advice is:AMD is built with gaming in mind and a boat load cheaper all the way around. Make your purchases based on BRANDS, and utilize which brands have a good rep. What ever system you build spend the money on the case/cooling/power supply. After that work with motherboard/ram/processor then finish up with GPU.  After all is said and done, then you go back and make sure you have the CORRECT PSU to power everything safely.

Once your build is complete then comes the system optimizations. If you Master plan is online gaming then steal resources from windows on every facet possible. you should still be able to netflix and chill when you're done. Windows and most anti-virus malware and 2nd opinion malware programs are resource hogs that will attempt to scan every time a game wants to access a new graphics file/map and shader file. 

I hope the OP finds the  information and help he wants from this thread.

@OneYouHate if you look back on the first page you will notice i had asked the OP some other questions he never responded.

i was hoping to reuse parts of his older computer to make it much cheaper to get him every thing he would like.

As for my bicker it came after seeing that person post information over many different thread. And i would rather

See the OP not have problem with what ever system he goes with since not every one follows hardware and issue that might be

with said product. 

As for a AMD based machine yes you can build one much much cheaper but at the cost of IPC. a 3570K clocked to as low as 3.8 preforms better then any of the ADM FX

series cpu's   but the 9590 but that is a 220 watt part that you need a 990FX chipset to run or the board will burn out or light on fire.

the second reason you dont want a AMD cpu currently for this game is that it does alot for FPU calculation and AMD only has one FPU unit per

module. so if 2 sets of fpu based instructions are put into the pipeline and they want to go to 2 core son the same module you have to wait for one to finish before the other will start. This has even been the argument for AMD FX series CPU's in the current lineup only being half the cores as advertised. Their is even a class action lawsuit against ADM for misleading the public in the relitive preformance of their bulldozer and steamroller arch.

As for me recommending nvidia  over ADM on the graphics side it is based on the fact that AMD does not overclock as far as nvidia. The recent problem with crimson driver allowing some card to cook themselves to death. Where nvidia has protections in hardware to throttle the card incase temps get to high. 

The only people who cook their GPUs are the ones who don't  realize you have to pull the OEM active air cooler off and replace it with a water cooler. With proper cooling and a motherboard spec'd for over clocking there is no chance in that. Without getting 2 technical and almost insisting over clocking is needed when it is not. 1St time PC build most likely shouldn't be focused on OC specs as much as just pure fun. OP could build a PC with locked voltages on CPU/GPU and have no issues what so ever running most MMOs decently. 

@Sudako

I have no doubt that you´re a pc enthusiast who knows more than the average person. However I´d advice you to stop lecturing me though. 

- Gears of War - Ultimate Edition is a poor example. The game isn´t even out yet for crying out load........

The techspot report is less than 4 months old and shows convicing results of no performance boost even with 65 chrome tabs open in the background - a test based on 3 modern games. 8 GB is all you need for todays games.

- Kingston HyperX series are not very well recommended. Runs around 1.65V.  Unwanted in overclocking perspective and it´s higher than Intel recommends when you´re using Haswell CPU´s. DDR4-2100 with CL15 is so ridicously fast already, that it won´t bottleneck anything. Besides all Intel CPU doesn´t officially support higher speeds anyways. Though you can benefit with correct xmp profiles.

- Corsair CX series is not a gaming PSU, - or a PSU that should power anything other than a light office pc. Corsairs CX series features mainly cheap capacitors that are rated at 30 celcius. A gaming pc will often reach higher temps than 30c and some countries, the intake air may already be close to 30c. A failing PSU is the last thing you ever want!!!

-Old non-overclockable haswell cpu, coupled with a Z97 mobo and a inferior air cooler? First of all, haswell cpu´s need to be k-series if you want to overclock (not counting BCLK). And Hyper Evo 212 is superior to D92. Better cooling and heat dissapation - even more silent too - and not to mention cheaper.

All in all, your build advice is crap. The PSU is the backbone of a PC and should always be carefully chosen - a failing PSU may damage all other components in your rig..... not to mention that overclocking heavily relies on good voltage regulation and ripple suppression. High noise of the rails, will not give stable overclocks - no matter you´re overclocking GPU, CPU or Rams.

So you´ve built yourself a custom liquid cooling system... congrats and ... Thanks for the very unsolicited pictures. By seeing your recommendations of a gaming pc, I wouldn´t trust you to build a custom liquid cooling system for anyone. And it isn´t cheap or needed - it´s a hobby. Nothing more! 

In fact a proper custom liquid cooling system is damn expensive compared to an Evo 212. The maintainance and proper installation is not for anybody, and a poorly setup custum liquid cooling systems may results in leaks and ultimately water damaged pc components. The setup is far more complex than just reading an installation guide.

It may look quite cool and some people will be deep awe of your l337 skills. However, when you gotta top of the fluids, change the hoses to install a new video card, or something as simple as moving your pc to a new apartment or friends house - you really start to wonder why you didn´t go with an aircooler instead.

Bottomline, I can´t support someone recommending old haswell tech when the op easily afford the newer and more superior skylake tech. Sure some skylake cpu´s have a bug with the AVX-2. However, we´re talking during torture test in prime95 - comparable to extreme heavy workloads - like complex 3D models. Intel is aware of the issue and issuing bios updates. Much in the same fashion as haswell had problems with TSX instruction - to the point where intel just disabled it all-together. Going from that reasoning, we might as well just go back to sandylake tech?

It has no impact on BnS or other games. If you on the other hand knew what you were talking about, you´d would know this too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html

3 minutes ago, Victorion said:

@Sudako

I have no doubt that you´re a pc enthusiast who knows more than the average person. However I´d advice you to stop lecturing me though. 

- Gears of War - Ultimate Edition is a poor example. The game isn´t even out yet for crying out load........

The techspot report is less than 4 months old and shows convicing results of no performance boost even with 65 chrome tabs open in the background - a test based on 3 modern games. 8 GB is all you need for todays games.

- Kingston HyperX series are not very well recommended. Runs around 1.65V.  Unwanted in overclocking perspective and it´s higher than Intel recommends when you´re using Haswell CPU´s. DDR4-2100 with CL15 is so ridicously fast already, that it won´t bottleneck anything. Besides all Intel CPU doesn´t officially support higher speeds anyways. Though you can benefit with correct xmp profiles.

- Corsair CX series is not a gaming PSU, - or a PSU that should power anything other than a light office pc. Corsairs CX series features mainly cheap capacitors that are rated at 30 celcius. A gaming pc will often reach higher temps than 30c and some countries, the intake air may already be close to 30c. A failing PSU is the last thing you ever want!!!

-Old non-overclockable haswell cpu, coupled with a Z97 mobo and a inferior air cooler? First of all, haswell cpu´s need to be k-series if you want to overclock (not counting BCLK). And Hyper Evo 212 is superior to D92. Better cooling and heat dissapation - even more silent too - and not to mention cheaper.

All in all, your build advice is crap. The PSU is the backbone of a PC and should always be carefully chosen - a failing PSU may damage all other components in your rig..... not to mention that overclocking heavily relies on good voltage regulation and ripple suppression. High noise of the rails, will not give stable overclocks - no matter you´re overclocking GPU, CPU or Rams.

So you´ve built yourself a custom liquid cooling system... congrats and ... Thanks for the very unsolicited pictures. By seeing your recommendations of a pc game, I wouldn´t trust you to build a custom liquid cooling system for anyone. And it isn´t cheap or needed - it´s a hobby. Nothing more! 

In fact a proper custom liquid cooling system is damn expensive compared to an Evo 212. The maintainance and proper installation is not for anybody, and a poorly setup custum liquid cooling systems may results in leaks and ultimately water damaged pc components. The setup is far more complex than just reading an installation guide.

It may look quite cool and some people will be deep awe of your l337 skills. However, when you gotta top of the fluids, change the hoses to install a new video card, or something as simple as moving your pc to a new apartment or friends house - you really start to wonder why you didn´t go with an aircooler instead.

Bottomline, I can´t support someone recommending old haswell tech when the op easily afford the newer and more superior skylake tech. Sure some skylake cpu´s have a bug with the AVX-2. However, we´re talking during torture test in prime95 - comparable to extreme heavy workloads - like complex 3D models. Intel is aware of the issue and issuing bios updates. Much in the same fashion as haswell had problems with TSX instruction - to the point where intel just disabled it all-together. Going from that reasoning, we might as well just go back to sandylake tech?

It has no impact on BnS or other games. If you on the other hand knew what you were talking about, you´d would know this too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021023/hardware/how-to-test-your-pc-for-the-skylake-bug.html

I have installed the CX series PSU in more then 100 builds not one has come back with any issues when not over clocking. If you noticed i didnt give a overclocking CPU either.

the only part in the system that is able to overclock is the 970 and that  has protections in it so a normal user can not damage the product.

The Hyper X beast series has a XMP profiles for 1.5 volts.

As for the water cooling part i did not recommend the water cooling to this person. every system i build i maintain for the people and i offer this up to 3 year. 

I never said that the AVX-2 problem was in BnS. I just dont recommend  the Skylake at this point in time un till all board partners push out the microcode int heir bio's or microsoft includes it in a windows update. For myself i use AVX-2 on a daily basis.

As for a propper water cooling system yes im aware of the cost and would never recommend it to any one that wasn't wanting it int he first place.

Archived