Why are you refusing to acknowledge quality concerns about your game?

Froggyman

I don't normally post directly TO a company in general, but every single source I can find regarding blade and soul mentions that NCSoft as a company is remaining completely silent on the issues regarding localization and worries and complaints regarding various other changes that were made with no real reason being given. If this is true, why are you doing it?

I understand that you are a company that can do whatever you are given permission to do with the content that YOU paid for and are working on. I am very much a man of respect. Yet, as I am well aware there are people who have not treated this subject with any kind of respect, I know very well that you are being asked REAL, RESPECTFUL, HONEST questions from a HUGE variety of sources, and you are completely refusing to respond, other than what has already been said.

You gain nothing from remaining silent. You certainly do not have to bend to any changes being asked of you, but you do have to understand that we are spending money on this product. A product mind you, that some of us have been following for years before we ever knew it would come into your possession. You are not only responsible for the fans of the version you own, but of the versions that already exists. No one wants to purchase an inferior product, but it is agreed upon pretty much universally that our version in terms of story, plot, and production values are completely sub-par.

This doesn't HAVE to mean you don't talk about it. Why can't it be worked on? What would be wrong with an overhaul of the translation, or perhaps even possibly looking at removing lost story elements. Just because you tried something and it didn't work out doesn't mean it's over, or it's all we have to get.

When Marvel Heroes first came out, it was an absolute nightmare. Although I wouldn't call it amazing by any means, if you go and look at it now, It's so much better than it ever was, Lightyears ahead of the game it previously was. Those developers heard our concerns, and gathered data from us that allowed them to improve the work they'd already laid down.

I only use the game as a point. NCSoft, you NEED to talk to us. Please don't shut us out. This IS a really hot button issue, it's going to be tough to look through, to sort out, to see what can and cannot be done about it, but you can't ignore us. The solution to this is not just to keep silent, it isn't going to go away. And the more content you add that doesn't match up with the other versions of the game, the more people are going to question why they just don't play that version.

I know this is difficult. I have BEEN in localization. I have BEEN in translation. I know how unrewarding this line of work can be, and I know that sometimes you feel it's best to try and make your own adaptation, but if it DOESN'T work, you've GOT to be honest about it.

The voice work in this game alone is INSULTING compared to other versions. Lines are given with zero emotion except from prominent characters, and all of the dialogue is rote good guy/bad guy behavior. All of the depth, the intricate character designs, the subtle motivations, the foreshadowing...god the beautiful spine tingling foreshadowing that really makes you feel like the something is going to go terribly wrong...it's GONE. It's all gone

Heck, some of the main cutscenes are completely missing. I want to make this clear, I've played other versions of blade and soul, NONE of the missing content could have been edited on purpose for censorship, or even to try to fit this new, weird story. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense to a lot of people, that doesn't mean we are all stupid, it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

And that's okay. Really and truly it IS okay that this happened, and it can be okay, and it can be fixed, and there doesn't have to be any reason 6 months from now that anyone remembers ANY of this or even feels like bringing it up because this does NOT have to be how this goes down.

I can't tell you if this is a big enough issue or not to ruin your game, but even if it was I wouldn't wish that evil on anyone. I love this game, I respect it's source material, and I respect that we can have room for differences, that we will REQUIRE differences in order to enjoy the story the way other cultures might, but this isn't WORKING.

TALK TO US. Please. It isn't a demand. You don't OWE me an explanation. But you want to give us one, and you want to hear our side of the story, and if we really, REALLY are trying to tell you something isn't clicking with us, you WANT to know that, and address it.

I've done nothing wrong by asking this of you. I have to admit, the reason I ask is because when every single news source I can find that talks about your game talks about the bad localization and the lack of a response..that seriously endangers the amount of people that may even think about trying this game, and if I can't trust you to guard the longevity of the game..well that scares me as a consumer. I have to be able to trust you want what I want, which is to have this game run until my fingers don't work anymore.

Nothing you've done insults me to my core, nor does it make me wish ill on you or give me a desire to say nasty things. I just want to talk about it.

Please.

Not to be a but,

Honestly typing a long reply like this, is most likely ignored by the NCWEST/NCSOFT Team. They probably don't even bother reading cosumer/player concerns and just go off what the team in the office says. Sure at times they will take into consideration of players feedback and request and I won't say they haven't done that. In some areas of this game they did a nice job of listening to players and did the best they could do respect players feedback and sometimes like bigger issues they won't give 2 squats.

Sometimes contacting customer services, the way they reply does not even sound genuine. From experience, I know what customer service replies look like. Its basically a script and a template that is copied and pasted. Try contacting a CR and different ones and the replies you receive will be very, very similar.

I can agree, NCWEST/NCSOFT needs to listen to player feedback more and really be serious about taking them into consideration and not go off a hunch that this or that will work and please consumers.

I agree, but the whole story/cutscenes/character stuff isn't why I'm agreeing. It's because the gameplay is bugged in many ways and the connection is horrible. Atleast for EU players. I don't know if the connection problem can be fixed easily, I guess it can't since it requires a new server, but it has to be done.

And I also guess the gameplay issues are being fixed when the time comes around and the developers are at their best atm to deliver in time. I respect that and I'm not saying you should fix everything now, but atleast acknowledge that it hasn't been the greatest release and explain to us why that is and what is going to be done about it.

Ignoring the playerbase has only one effect: They're going to be angry.

Having a lengthy post should not stop a trained employee looking for feedback, though it may disinterest most players. I have a lot to say on the matter, but this IS actually the place to post my request, as I am asking them to finally engage US on a subject they have all but refused to. It affects everyone, not just myself. Their response, ANY response on this issue would do a lot to put some faith in those that have doubts, and there are now more than just a few of us in number. 

If you don't want to take me seriously because I have a long post, and then claim it doesn't make any sense because you don't want to read it, that's alright I suppose, but if you can't tell me WHAT specifically about my argument doesn't make sense, claiming my whole post doesn't make any sense is just childish.

Whether or not you agree with me, I laid what I want and how I feel about the situation out very clearly. I am okay with getting an answer I don't like, but I will not be dismissed or ignored, and neither will the people who are agitated. If it isn't me, it WILL be someone else. I figured why not give it a shot in a polite way?

Apparently that may be too much to ask around here.

• NCSOFT

Hi,

We always appreciate feedback on every aspect of the game, and we do read all of it.

I understand that you don't think the localisation is up to standard, and I can tell you we are working on ways to improve this aspect of the game (along with other aspects).

Currently we're working on skill descriptions and other usability based tasks as a priority, then we'll be tackling other areas in an ongoing effort to improve the game experience for everyone.

I'm sry to burst your bubble .. but you wont get a reply from the staff, or by some miracle let's say you do.. it will be a copy paste reply or something that will go like "we are looking in to it" 

The game, believe it or not is old, the fact that we got it late and it's still a hype .. is because of good marketing and because of the target system . but that's about it .

The first closed beta test was scheduled for 27 April 2011, and got a full release in 2012, now we are in 2016, and are only in 1 month for EU and the game is kinda the same.

Do you really think they will change it all ? because back in 2011, there were strong pc's that's true .. but not as strong as some of us have them now .

The game is running on low specs and is made to run on very low specs ... and the system can not take much data... someone stated the process in another post is the fact that they just cant take in all the data.

It's sad... imagine this game .. running running on medium settings without ctr+f .. on a stable 40 fps , hell even low settings  in mass fights .. or good pvps ? it would jump in ranks and become an insane game.

Why dont they upgrade the specs or make the game far better , I really dont know ..  maybe they are scared that they would invest to much and not get the money back ? that's always an option.

Or maybe they plan to release another game in 2/3 years and decided to invest in that ?  who can tell... 

1 hour ago, LiriC said:
1 hour ago, LiriC said:

I'm sry to burst your bubble .. but you wont get a reply from the staff, or by some miracle let's say you do.. it will be a copy paste reply or something that will go like "we are looking in to it" 

The game, believe it or not is old, the fact that we got it late and it's still a hype .. is because of good marketing and because of the target system . but that's about it .

The first closed beta test was scheduled for 27 April 2011, and got a full release in 2012, now we are in 2016, and are only in 1 month for EU and the game is kinda the same.

Do you really think they will change it all ? because back in 2011, there were strong pc's that's true .. but not as strong as some of us have them now .

The game is running on low specs and is made to run on very low specs ... and the system can not take much data... someone stated the process in another post is the fact that they just cant take in all the data.

It's sad... imagine this game .. running running on medium settings without ctr+f .. on a stable 40 fps , hell even low settings  in mass fights .. or good pvps ? it would jump in ranks and become an insane game.

Why dont they upgrade the specs or make the game far better , I really dont know ..  maybe they are scared that they would invest to much and not get the money back ? that's always an option.

Or maybe they plan to release another game in 2/3 years and decided to invest in that ?  who can tell... 

None of what you said is either true, or relevant. The game being old has nothing to do with the quality of voice acting they are able to come up with, all of the lines done were done new, for a game that is for all tense and purposes, NEW. I didn't ask them to update the game's visuals, nor do I want them to. I also didn't actually ask them to change anything, I asked them to discuss the issue with us.

I have been in the post he holds right now, and there is only so much he is allowed to say to us. An acknowledgement that it NEEDS improvement and that it WILL be improved is what I was looking for. I am not totally satisfied with his response but I didn't expect to be. I just wanted to know they were listening to us, and now I do. And now so do they.

You want to continue to push your negativity, do it, but it isn't going to solve anything, and I want progress. Progress can be had through many means, one of which is being patient. Another, asking for exactly what you'd like to see.

Limiting what they can say to us is a serious problem.  The Thread LastWriterStanding made was probably the best thing that could have occurred for this version of the game long term because it exposed issues with the localization and gave the consumers something to articulate feedback on.  Unfortunately they have taken that event as reason to muzzle their employees instead of maintaining a dialog, and that is going to make it very easy to steer the ship into an iceberg.

On February 19, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Lock6 said:

Hi,

We always appreciate feedback on every aspect of the game, and we do read all of it.

I understand that you don't think the localisation is up to standard, and I can tell you we are working on ways to improve this aspect of the game (along with other aspects).

Currently we're working on skill descriptions and other usability based tasks as a priority, then we'll be tackling other areas in an ongoing effort to improve the game experience for everyone.

Trust me I'm not trying to yell at you or make you feel bad or angry. You guys post the same cheap crap everytime someone (it does not matter who) has a problem on these forums. I understand and everyone understands you were trying to fix it but saying the same crap over and over again irritates me. "We're working on ways. . . We're looking into. . . We understand. . .?" I really don't think you do. You know sometimes you guys say you care but I really feel like you don't. You guys never really try to reach out to the community. I know you say you are and that you "do" it, but not responding to various emails and sending us random updates in game with no warning, and having random network blackouts (random disconnections) and then not even recompensating the players in dungeons with rewards you say the same line. "We're looking into it and we will notify you all when. . ." You guys have been great giving us Blade and Soul and all but if you can't even take 5 minutes or even 20 minutes a day to really connect with the Blade and Soul community and discuss their problems it would help. You know all of this is true. 

Got a similar response from Hime in another thread about this. It's here if you want to look it up.

Note how they both mention the skill descriptions but aside from that only use terms such as "localisation" and "other areas". That could then also mean a better launcher for the NA/EU game. That's essentially localisation as well. It's like asking if any work will be done on the pavement in the street you live in and they reply "We're currently working on the bridge three blocks over, and after that we'll continue work on parts of the neighbourhood." Yea that's nice, but what about my pavement? For all I know that will never get touched.

You don't instill any trust in your company and its credibility that way. Though honestly it's not entirely their fault. They are constantly on thin ice. If they'd mention anything that could be seen as a promise to work on a specific part of the localisation and for whatever reasons plans change or they were mistaken they and the company will get lynched. And it comes back to haunt them at their job review. The fact that they have to cover themselves and basically can't say anything useful unless they are utterly and totally sure what they say is something that will happen, is because of their clients, the playerbase. You've seen these forums I'm going to guess. Rife with, frankly, socially inept folk who consider their own views to be the only possible correct ones, intolerant of anyone else's mere existence. Whatever the moderator crowd here does, they will get someone telling them off. And don't forget they are just messengers. They have nothing to do with the game's development in any way so it's even harder for them to know what will and won't happen until it's set in stone. 

This is naturally only my view on things, but from what I've seen NCSoft doesn't care about making quality games. They only care about making money. So being acknowledged won't do anything as they don't inherently care about a better product. As long as it's good enough to keep a certain amount of people around to spend money on their cash shop it works out for them. Heck I reckon a good number of NCSoft employees don't even really know what games are about and how they work. The developers that work under them can take care of such matters. Thus the only way we'll get any storyline translation improvements, as in not cutting content and giving correct and unmodified translations with access to Korean voice packs or otherwise good English voice packs, is if enough people complain about it and it becomes more viable for them to spend money on making it better than it does saving the money and letting some of the playerbase go. And the mod team won't tell us about it until they are fully certain these changes will happen cause otherwise it's their head that rolls.

Except NCSoft has acknowledged it. In a livestream babbletr0n mentioned that they're trying to get us better localization and whatnot.

They've also posted multiple times that they are trying to improve translations, starting with the skill tome, which they've also told us they are making progress on and have reformatted the skills page.

The problem is their modus of communication.

On 19/02/2016 at 9:33 AM, Lock6 said:

Hi,

It's so grateful to know what you guys are working on, you should do this more often. Comunication is a powerful aspect of any admininstration.

Archived