Remove firewalls and sentry orbs from dungeons.

NueHoujuu

Just bloating up one of the suggestions from the megathread in my signature...

But those firewalls are annoying and pointless. Why do we have to be insta killed for not getting into the room if someone rushes ahead of all of us, or if we just happen to lag, or if we eat a dumpling to heal at the wrong place?

Please replace the firewalls with this type of door.

Don't forget to make the door appear different for each player. The door should allow everyone to pass it once. If you die and respawn outside of it, it becomes the red door and you can't go back in until all party members have beaten the boss or died to the boss.

If one player dies and respawns, he should see the red door - while another player who hasn't even gotten into the boss room once, should see a different open version of the door.

This is to prevent players from telling someone to wait outside the door so they can "keep the door open for people who died to come back in for infinite lives". Must be on a player to player basis.

Edit: Another good suggestion that has been brought up is to start with an open door that everyone can see, and once the boss fight is initiated by anyone, it says "Boss Fight Started - The gate will close in 1 minute." and then becomes the red door after that time. Only once everyone dies and respawns will it become a normal door again.

Edit 2: 

Also just to note, I am all for boss fights on plateaus with no safety guards on the side, or the thing Darkglimpse did with enemies that spawn in a dark chi kill zone.

I am also all for having some kind of death pit or fire wall inside the boss room itself that the boss can throw you into as long as that isn't the official way the game is trying to lock you out of re-entering the room again and again. Like if the Tomb of Exiles's final boss, if it roar also pushed you back and were able to knock you into lava, I'd be totally cool with it.

Not for mouse traps that are only there for rushing players to spring on you.

Sometimes I'm a few meters behind someone and we're both sprinting, so I have no way to catch up to him, and while I'd love for every player in the game to be nice and wait for me, the person rushes and gets me killed when I'm only a few meters behind him.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NueHoujuu said:

Just bloating up one of the suggestions from the megathread in my signature...

But those firewalls are annoying and pointless. Why do we have to be insta killed for not getting into the room if someone rushes ahead of all of us, or if we just happen to lag, or if we eat a dumpling to heal at the wrong place?

Please replace the firewalls with this type of door.

Don't forget to make the door appear different for each player. The door should allow everyone to pass it once. If you die and respawn outside of it, it becomes the red door and you can't go back in until all party members have beaten the boss or died to the boss.

+1 

+300 on replacing it with a door.

However, I am not sure I agree with allowing everyone to pass once.

I think there should be a timer with a warning like "the area will be locked within X seconds" after someone pulls the boss, at which point you get the red door.

^ Thinking of that, doors might reduce the need for edging and let people just move on with it.

Nurvus's idea is pretty good too. Give it a 1 or 2 minute timer. Maybe base it on the time it takes to get back in if you DC and go offline then relog, or the time it takes on average to windwalk through an area in a dungeon.

10 minutes ago, Nurvus said:

I think there should be a timer with a warning like "the area will be locked within X seconds" after someone pulls the boss, at which point you get the red door.

Yes, there should be some type of warning.  10-15 sec is enough.  Then slam the door shut.  Killing players for not being in the room just comes off as a huge developer troll.

3 minutes ago, Zarec said:

Then in wait till they die or succeed then proceed when it's safe. Or play with friends. 

Real life is not that simple.   Not everyone has the regular playtime that allows them to commit to a guild or make friends you play with all the time.  Also, this mechanic starts in Blackram Narrows before a lot of players figure out whether they even want to keep playing the game, never mind join a guild.   Dying in a video game because of someone else's griefing or indifference is not the worst thing that can happen, but it can sure turn new players off a game.

Just now, rocdog said:

Real life is not that simple.   Not everyone has the regular playtime that allows them to commit to a guild or make friends you play with all the time.  Also, this mechanic starts in Blackram Narrows before a lot of players figure out whether they even want to keep playing the game, never mind join a guild.   Dying in a video game because of someone else's griefing or indifference is not the worst thing that can happen, but it can sure turn new players off a game.

Uh huh. If dying once to a firewall that goes away upon the death of the main guy in the hallway is a problem then to be honest, MMO games are not for them. You can't whine about mechanics that can be used to troll someone. Then we wouldn't have a game. Every aspect of this game can be used to troll someone if you think hard enough. 

I agree that the firewall should be removed or at least be made to go up after a certain amount of time after the trigger happy troll attacks the main boss before his team is all in the area. As for the turret...I don't even know why that things exists to begin with. 

31 minutes ago, Zarec said:

Uh huh. If dying once to a firewall that goes away upon the death of the main guy in the hallway is a problem then to be honest, MMO games are not for them. You can't whine about mechanics that can be used to troll someone. Then we wouldn't have a game. Every aspect of this game can be used to troll someone if you think hard enough. 

Uh no... not everything can be used to troll people.

List me 50 things that can be used, and also explain to me how I can troll someone by the game aspect of "opening my quest journal".

That's an aspect of the game. Being able to open your quest journal.

1 hour ago, Nurvus said:

The issue with this is the large number of lower level players who keep getting caught behind because of the 45th level players rushing through a dungeon .. THEY don't pass on bids so the players needing the items HAVE to wait on timers and then get killed by these idiotic walls

THE best thing would be to stall all players from moving on IF all players don't zone zone to the next area because bidding is going on .. This SHOULD be implemented at the beginning of the dungeon as well since so many players have different loading times 

Now the down side is that there are so many people that don't leave the start area so we need to be able to kick them as well if this was done

14 minutes ago, NueHoujuu said:

Uh no... not everything can be used to troll people.

List me 50 things that can be used, and also explain to me how I can troll someone by the game aspect of "opening my quest journal".

That's an aspect of the game. Being able to open your quest journal.

think real hard...i can come up with two things off the top of my head that involve the quest journal that you can troll someone...involves chat (i'm nice enough to give you a hint).

Meh screw it I'll just tell you one...I'm assuming you are in college or have been there so correct me if I am wrong.  Did you ever have those annoying wide eyed freshman wondering around campus asking where such and such building is even though they had a map right in their hand?  

Same concept but instead of doing their work for them I just tell them the opposite direction of where they are supposed to go.  Not my fault they don't look at their map and realize there is a BIG BLUE/YELLOW marker showing where they are supposed to be.  

17 minutes ago, NueHoujuu said:

You're throwing in an additional aspect of the game, that's the clincher.

These things don't troll people on their own, the main thing you can troll people with is communication.

The additional aspect is the human interference.  These items do not troll the players on their own.  First thing when you see a giant wall of fire should be to stay away from it.  If it can kill you in life why do you think you would be immune in a virtual world?  It isn't rocket science.

You don't need communication to troll someone with the walls or turrets (they were designed to kill afk players trying to leech.  They are present in every region of the game.  Why is it americans have such a hard time realizing FIRE IS HOT?  Or don't stand there.  Many games have similar mehcanics in areas of their games to discourage people standing in a certain place.  

Sorry i'm not a fan of hand holding but then again Demon Souls/Dark Souls is my favorite franchise.

Archived