Curreny Exchange - Not Pay To Win, but def Pay To Level

Archaegeo

So they put in the currency exchange now.

And while you cant insta level to 45, you can now buy all the soulstones, moonwater transformation stones, etc you need now.

So its not pay to win, but once 45, no reason you can have maxed out gear if your wallet will support.  Luckily that doesn't matter in arena, but wow.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do you realize you'd still have to pay a large sum to do that. Even so, it just gives you superior gear, not superior skill. This is a good thing.

If some shmuck wants to drop $500 to max out his gear, let him do it. That's less money the normal consumers have to pay to keep NCSOFT's lights on.

6 minutes ago, Archaegeo said:

Other MMOs stores are cosmetic or maybe some xp boosters

This allows you to have max gear on your char almost instantly. <shrug>

How is that different from the advantage people who can play all day have?

1 minute ago, Archaegeo said:

Note: Nowhere did I say this new feature is a bad thing.

Its not PTW in the arena, just in open world pve/pvp you can pay to have max gear

Luckily, open world is just a numbers game. :P Good gear won't save you from roaming death squads.

Just now, TheRealBronx said:

I'm curious as to what the exchange rate of NCoin to gold is. 

I hope it's at least competitive with the current rate on black market gold. Otherwise, it would incentivize players to go to illegal gold sellers for better deals.

If it works the same way as beta the rate will be whatever players are selling gold at with a 30% give up and down. Meaning if the average rate is 100G to 10 NCoin then players will only be able to sell it between 70G-130G to 10 NCoin. When the average sales change so will the give up and down. So, if the starting rate is 100G to 10 NCoin but people keep selling it at 70G to 10 NCoin then eventually the average will be 70G and the range will be 49G-91G to 10 NCoin.

So.... really the price and conversion rate will be set by the players.

------------------

And while yes this will be essentially a way for players with extra money/NCoin to get gold quicker and upgrade equipment faster, a large benefit to this system will be that it will deter gold farmers from the game. The gold farmers would have to incredibly lower their prices in order to match the player prices and thus would no longer feel it is worth it. Players will also be much more likely, even if it costs a little more, to do the CE rather than gold farmers because there is absolutely no risk involved. I have seen this system work in some other games, and I am happy to see it introduced here.

People are already buying gold via gold sellers, so your P2W / P2Progress argument is trivial when addressing NCSoft's currency exchange system.  However what bothers me is they take a 10% Commission fee to buy gold in game. 10% for what? the computer to make another calculation. Thats kind of bullshit imo. 

Just now, TheFoxBox said:

People are already buying gold via gold sellers, so your P2W / P2Progress argument is trivial when addressing NCSoft's currency exchange system.  However what bothers me is they take a 10% Commission fee to buy gold in game. 10% for what? the computer to make another calculation. Thats kind of bullshit imo. 

I agree that people are already buying it so the CE shouldn't really be frowned upon. To be honest, I would rather have players spend money towards NCoin and support NC Soft and Blade & Soul as well as providing free players a method of earning items from the Hongmoon Store than to be sending their money over to the very bots who bog down our servers and annoy us in chat. 

The 10% commission is a bit... excessive, agreed. The idea behind it I suppose is to be a money sink, but really they're just making players charge each other more to cover the cost of the commission. 

1 minute ago, Evechan said:

Ehhh wait, so u think sell 10gold for 600/700 ncoin is okay, but the gold seller tax is not okay ? go work ! thats free cash, 10% is still low, since the players are greedy.

10 Gold for 600/700 is fine, if people are buying / selling it for that much. At least they're buying it from NCSoft not 3rd party hackers/schemers that are just going to rob you later anyways. 

What is not fine is that NCSoft is charging you 10% of you PAYING THEM for gold. See the valentines day thing is 1,999 ncoin because *cricket* we want to charge you hella $$....but you want to sell it to someone in game via gold....well...then thats 2198.9 ncoin because reasons. It's unecessary and greedy and serves no purpose. At least them selling gold cuts the gold seller market and is more secure.

12 minutes ago, TheFoxBox said:

Thats to decrease inflation. Economics work ingame as in RL too.

If you dont take money away some how or the other, the gold in the game will just pile up faster and faster and everything will be more expensive 

2 minutes ago, Necroheaven said:

Just to let you know as a diamond member of such a "3rd party" website i would get exactly 45 gold for 800ncoins(10€). Why would i ever buy it from NCSoft if i get 4 times the amount for the same price. 10 Gold is nothing thats 1 hour of farming brightstone solo. The low value will increase the amount people purchase from good 3rd party traders (not talking about the gold selling spammers ingame because they are all fake).

I'd Just like to say thank you, for being part of the problem, not the solution.

Archived