Forums

GameGuard is gone - now the game is full of bots

GreenDestiny

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

User 2501 was replying to my post where I said: That it seems that gameguard has been deactivated by NCSoft. 

His reply:

This is incorrect. GameGuard is linked through Client.exe, using libraries from the GameGuard folder.

Client.exe tries to inject code once every hour into your processes. If it cannot, it has a tendency to completely lock your system up at random (ie: proper anti-virus, and random apps).

Link: 

Non-Official but according to this post by 2501: GameGuard is not deactivated.

Gameguard wasn't even protecting the game.Looks like gold sellers knew how to enter the game and spam with characters not even in game.I found that after they put level 11 to talk in faction and some of those spammers didn't have a profile.

8 minutes ago, Smo said:

It isn't deactivated.

It runs when you open the game back up after a crash, and seems to just be integrated into the client differently than before.

Try testing it for yourself. You can manually delete the Gameguard files from the bin folder and the game works perfectly fine. Furthermore if you do a repair install it does not recreate them. The only thing that comes back is an error file after loading the game. Also the process can be seen running on your system if it is enabled.

On 2/17/2016 at 10:39 PM, Kirisi said:

Gameguard is garbage, anyone that's motivated enough can disable it themselves.

Yes but it was obviously stopping some people. I don't think it's a coincidence that after it was removed there was a spike in complaints about bots.

32 minutes ago, GreenDestiny said:

Try testing it for yourself. You can manually delete the Gameguard files from the bin folder and the game works perfectly fine. Furthermore if you do a repair install it does not recreate them. The only thing that comes back is an error file after loading the game. Also the process can be seen running on your system if it is enabled.

I did.

I also deleted all traces of it from the system folders and registry.

Still reinstalled itself upon running the game.

Though it reinstalls itself and runs the first time the game is run after cleaning gameguard from the PC, any times you re-open the game after that it doesn't seem to run and doesn't show up in the processes.

But it seems to run itself again any time opening the client after it had previously crashed.

and yeah like others mentioned, gameguard doesn't actually do anything to stop hacks and really just ends up being a pain in the ass for legitimate players (false bans, game crashing because of a huge amount of software/hardware that have nothing to do with the game but gameguard has issues with them *cough razer*)

Plus, rarely with some computers, gameguard can stop important computer processes from running which results in the PC being fried (like some cases where it was stopping important fans from running due to gameguard shutting down the software that monitored them).

Even in the best case scenario that gameguard doesn't have issues with any of your software/hardware, it's still a resource hog and in the end, your game would run smoother without it.

Gameguard didn't stop anyone, it's not even that it was "stopping some people", it stopped nobody. Basic client hacks weren't even noticed by gameguard, and the ones that did require a bypass were glad to see that GG bypasses were publicly available within the early access period...

The only reason you're seeing more hackers now is because people started publicly sharing their programs. Most of them weren't available at launch because they weren't very stable, and people wanted to abuse them themselves before releasing them to the public. There's still a dozen far more gamebreaking things than simple speedhacks that you haven't seen yet because they haven't been made public, and honestly most hackers aren't going to release them either because it's a lot better for them not to.

Gameguard did nothing past present or future to stop hacking, in this game or any other. Bypassing it is laughably easy, it kicks about as many hackers as it does normal players, so it's probably better not to get so upset about it. The only thing gameguard really does is cost the makers of the bypass a couple minutes/an hour after each update to edit and reupload the bypass to the forums they posted it on.

48 minutes ago, GreenDestiny said:

Look in the main Bns/bin folder. remove GameGuard.des... notice it returns upon launching the game (via auto-repair).

It's still there, just implemented differently, as evidenced by the fact that Client.exe is injecting code into processes once every hour exactly.

This IS THE CAUSE of random system lockups. the client is just crashing with unhandled exceptions when GG fails injection.

This random crashing did not exist before the 02/04 patch, where GG was integrated into client.

1 hour ago, GreenDestiny said:

I hope you guys that cried for GameGuard to be removed are happy. Even since it was disabled a patch or two ago the arena is full of hackers. Hopefully Ncsoft actually bans them in this game unlike Aion. It should be easy to track in 1v1 matches.

Well you know that hacker that go inside in arena was there even before removing of  gameguard ?

Hackers are level Hongmoon 3 and 2 now that mean they been here before gameguard been removed lol.

and if you ask me I'm happy that they removed that crappy shit gameguard, It was keeping me disconnect from server all the time.

It was useless and just ruin my game play through disconnect for no reason 

And by the way if you want me to be honest, Gameguard, PunckBuster, etc all useless program that banned or disallow like 30% of the stream of hacking or cheating only.

I played many games, I know what I talking about .

APB for example till now they never find a solution with PunkBuster for hacking at all, Same goes for every RPG, FPs games.

25 minutes ago, Valiant said:

I'm happy that they removed that crappy shit gameguard,

If you read my posts above, you'd realize GameGuard was not in fact removed.

20 minutes ago, Valiant said:

PunkBuster

Had a false positive, since it viewed strings in memory. Thousands of users were banned in one incident, bcs of someone spamming 'Enemy Aiming At...' on servers, which was picked up as a string in your client.

Those users blatantly said while spamming that everyone on the server would soon be banned. Of course, PB has no method to determine legitimate cases or not, just reports the type of hack/cheat, with no other details to staff, hence they cannot resolve your ticket.

6 months to fight PB staff (they have like 2 support staff, takes 1 month for response), and ban was never lifted.

GameGuard is the most useless garbage i ever seen. It never helped on have less bots/hackers on other NCSoft games, on B&S is the same. It's active on JP/TW servers, but it's full of botters (trust me, more than in EU/NA).
Dunno why NCSoft keep using it, it's more harm than help even for the legit users, slowing down your computer and giving random game crash.

4 minutes ago, Togari1111 said:

name one pub that does better with FREE TO PLAY

The Fighter Collection: Digital Combat Simulator. Although it's currently in alpha 2.0 to upgrade the junk DX9 engine to DX11. DX9 just doesn't work with large open worlds with lots of entities (drops to 10-15 fps).

NCsoft: Guild Wars 1. Not F2P, but a good business model. Until they trampled it, burned it with fire, and threw it into a ditch. Incidentally, I think Nexon had something to do with that (as evidenced by Strawberry Ice dye in GW2, which is a Vindictus ref).

Anyways, I think this is way off-topic now.

13 minutes ago, SinKiller said:

There are plenty of publishers around who have already set the bar, NCSoft and their businessmodel is the ghetto of the MMO world.

Also, apparently lots of white knighting on behalf of hackers going on around here...

do you know what a "white knight" is?

'cause the only one's in this thread white knighting, are people white knighting gameguard, complaining that gameguard was removed (it wasn't), thinking it actually helps at all to prevent hacking (it doesn't), while completely ignoring all of the posts in the thread that are actually informative.

So having a hacker free experience is setting the bar too high for you?

Maybe NCFail should have some ingame GM's to intervene to blatant hacking but apparently having a decent support is too expensive and instead they decide to just let these premium paying hackers to infest the game and get some profit on the side?

Archived