Do you think BnS will be a true WoW killer?

Koter

No marquee multiplayer game has ever been "slain" at the hands of another game.

CS:GO, by all means an ancient dinosaur complete with terrible, clunky and outdated mechanics, continues its iron fisted dominion as a putrid, fetid False God.

Entire hordes of excellent and significantly more innovative RTS's lay as rotting carcasses at StarCraft's fortress walls.

And WoW, too, shall continue Its reign, a feudal lord with complete dominion over Its domain.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Koter said:

Or not really?

The way I see it, Blade and Soul doesn't have the ability to "kill WoW" nor does WoW have the ability to die.

My reasoning? Let's look at Blizzard, and their marketing team. They do an insane job marketing for World of Warcraft, and with that, they're able to make expansions seem appealing through advertisements in magazines, tv and even banners on the internet. Advertisement is what draws people in, and Blizzard has it locked for the MMO market. Are they losing subscribers? Yes. Do those numbers pick up for the first few months/raids of the expansion? You bet your ass they do. Now, bare with me here. WoW does have it's issues. The economy is wrecked, and though they don't have gold spam, the spammers don't need to hit WoW. The game has been released for 11 years now. People KNOW they can buy WoW gold at any given moment. Is the customer support good? Yes and no. Most times they get the information they need to fix your issues but 1 in 100, they don't and you lose your account to a hacker. These things happen, but is WoW dead? Not by a long shot. Not if Marketing has anything to say about it.

Blade and Soul, with NCSoft backing it's NA and EU port. The customer service is lacking, and there have been REAL issues with accounts being banned over the legitimate purchase of NCoin. Known issue with such a lengthy fix, and sometimes to no avail. Hackers invade the arena, and spammers cover our chat. However, are we picking up numbers? Yes, every single day a new player joins, amidst the cloud of gold farmers. The PvP is stronger than ever if you can see through the hackers, and the competitive scene in this game is absolutely incredible. The NCSoft marketing team may be trash, and the cx support lacking a fair amount due to the hiring of rather stupid people, but what you get out of the coal is a diamond in the rough. 1v1 arenas are set to be a major eSport in NA and EU, and 3v3 may not be too far behind. Instead of sitting on the forums complaining, play the game, study all you can, and show NCSoft how much you absolutely love the game.

WoW is not dead, and BnS will not kill it, because they are two wildly different games in the same market. Play one, the other, or both, but don't say it's a WoW killer, because it's not made to become WoW. It's set to become a powerhouse of it's own.

WoW died years ago. Just because it has a large following doesn't mean that it's a solid game. It simply means that a lot of people still play a crappy game. It had its reign years ago when tabby target combat was relevant for that time and action based combat was unheard of in a MMO. 

B&S doesn't need to "kill WoW" as B&S is in a different league altogether. 

Vanilla Ice also had a large following at one point. It doesn't mean that he was ever actually a talented artist...

3 minutes ago, BeK said:

WoW died years ago. Just because it has a large following doesn't mean that it's a solid game. It simply means that a lot of people still play a crappy game. It had its reign years ago when tabby target combat was relevant for that time and action based combat was unheard of in a MMO. 

B&S doesn't need to "kill WoW" as B&S is in a different league altogether. 

Vanilla Ice also had a large following at one point. It doesn't mean that he was ever actually a talented artist...

Does it matter if the brand is still bleeding cash? I wonder how long BnS NA can survive their entry to the market, and I wonder if they will keep running the server once they experience an exodus of the player en masse (read: Aion failure to launch)

Blizzcon is still packed every year, and the sub drop will be fixed once they released Legion. WoW improved what MMO used to be in North America and making it more accessible to bigger audience, and those loyal followers are not going anywhere soon.

And as someone who mentioned previously, Blizzard marketing force is one of the best in the industry and that definitely will help more than anything else.  

In my opinion nothing will kill WoW but WoW itself.

I honestly can't stand the game but I know people who play it are addicted to the game, and spent so much time and money and probably won't quit until the game servers are shut down. Just like runescape. Both games have enough loyal fans to keep the game running for a hella long time, so nothing will be that "WoW Killer" until Blizzard screws up hardcore.

4 minutes ago, N3ph1lim said:

Does it matter if the brand is still bleeding cash? I wonder how long BnS NA can survive their entry to the market, and I wonder if they will keep running the server once they experience an exodus of the player en masse (read: Aion failure to launch)

Blizzcon is still packed every year, and the sub drop will be fixed once they released Legion. WoW improved what MMO used to be in North America and making it more accessible to bigger audience, and those loyal followers are not going anywhere soon.

And as someone who mentioned previously, Blizzard marketing force is one of the best in the industry and that definitely will help more than anything else.  

It doesn't change the point my good friend. Just because a lot of people purchase a product, doesn't necessarily make it a good product and vice versa. Blizzard is great at marketing well good for them. That's awesome. It's doesn't mean that WoW is a good game. It just means that Blizzard is great at marketing it. 

After World War ll a company called Betty Crocker developed a product referred to as instant cake mix and It flopped hard but after running some focus groups, (basically hiring a team of psychologist to find out how to get people to want their cake mix). Betty Crocker found out that it was too convenient - people didn't feel like they had done any "cooking". So Betty Crocker "reformulated" it so that you had to add eggs, not just water, and then it became a huge success. They basically changed the wording on the box and the cake mix flew off the shelves.

It doesn't mean that they had the best cake mix or even good cake mix to be honest. It's called marketing and/or psychology 101 my friend.

Blizzard Entertainment Inc, are pure genius. They have a crap game on their hands and have convinced a lot of people that the said game is awesome and  desirable to play. 

1 minute ago, BeK said:

It doesn't change the point my good friend. Just because a lot of people purchase a product, doesn't necessarily make it a good product and vice versa. Blizzard is great at marketing well good for them. That's awesome. It's doesn't mean that WoW is a good game. It just means that Blizzard is great at marketing it. 

After World War ll a company called Betty Crocker developed a product referred to as instant cake mix and It flopped hard but after running some focus groups, (basically hiring a team of psychologist to find out how to get people to want their cake mix). Betty Crocker found out that it was too convenient - people didn't feel like they had done any "cooking". So Betty Crocker "reformulated" it so that you had to add eggs, not just water, and then it became a huge success. They basically changed the wording on the box and the cake mix flew off the shelves.

It doesn't mean that they had the best cake mix or even good cake mix to be honest. It's called marketing and/or psychology 101 my friend.

Blizzard Entertainment Inc, are pure genius. They have a crap game on their hands and have convinced a lot of people that the said game is awesome and  desirable to play. 

It also doesn't change the point that the game is still giving them enough to run it...I think the word we're looking for here is "profitable".

6 minutes ago, N3ph1lim said:

It also doesn't change the point that the game is still giving them enough to run it...I think the word we're looking for here is "profitable".

Lol ok my friend. I never said that WoW didn't generate profit. I was merely pointing out that it was a bad game but hey go enjoy WoW if that's your thing. If you choose to stick around these parts then enjoy your time in B&S. Heck, maybe I'll even see you in game :-)

Take care my friend. 

There is no such thing as a "WOW killer". This has been asked before, again and again and again in many, many other game's forums.

You don't need an MMO to trump another. We're at a time where there is so many MMO and most of them cater to different audiences. Someone who enjoys WOW, likely won't enjoy B&S as much and just the same, someone who enjoys B&S, probably won't find WOW enjoyable.

WoW and B&S are SUCH different games, with different players group as target, that you can't compare them!

WoW is that old-school classic mmo, one who build itself inside the hearts of millions of players over the years, one that still survives on this very same players and ocasionally, new players drawn to its nostalgic style and stability.

B&S is a new generation action mmo, appealing to a total different group of players. Different because this other group wants something modern, something that is not "lock target and spam skill button". Something with appealing graphics too.

But i still believe the amount of time is the main thing here. WoW had 11 years to make players love it, and we can't disagree that Blizzard does a nice job. Also WoW was launched first at North America, and that makes a HUGE difference already, since it's a game thought for the western player, while B&S is a port of an eastern game that took 4 years since it's launch to show up in this side of the world, cooling of a lot of the hype. And unfortunately, it ended up in the hands of NCSoft.

And as we know, western and eastern players have kind of a different profile.

That said, B&S is actually kind of successful over there in Asia, even being a part of e-sports. But no, it can't kill WoW because those players who loves old-school classic mmos will just stick with it. And that is still a LOT of players! They might even try new generation action mmos, but they always find that nostalgia pulling them back.

2 hours ago, Koter said:

Uhm the 7 million people subbed to world of warcraft will disagree with you.

Millions of flies eating shit can't be wrong.

That said, this wont kill WoW. WoW will remain popular because it has a bit of everything to pander to a large audience, plus the large benefit of being a Blizzard game.  I can't imagine WoW having been successful for this long without Blizzard's name behind it.

2 hours ago, Keawen said:

To me Wow has reach his top like 3 years ago and has been on decline since.Every time i look on the subject beside a small surge when they bring a new expansion it loose hundred of thousand of customer every quarter. Been like that since they reach 12 million subs.Last i check they were at 6.6 million and loosing 200 million in revenues for that last quarter but that was some months ago so it's possible that they are even below  that now.So technically every new game launching on the market is contributing to his decline so it's not 1 game that gonna kill it but a bunch of games.RIP WoW

At WoW's peak, they had 15 million.  This game has about 40k players atm.

2 hours ago, Biscuit Krueger said:

People need to stop focusing on what game is gonna kill WoW. If anything is gonna kill WoW it will be itself. Outdated graphics, stale gameplay and the passage of time.

BNS will have its own successful community. Who gives a crap about what WoW is doing as long as BNS is flourishing 

FWIW, WoW's graphics have been updated over the years. They're still cartoony, but much more detailed than they were at launch.

1 hour ago, BeK said:

Lol ok my friend. I never said that WoW didn't generate profit. I was merely pointing out that it was a bad game but hey go enjoy WoW if that's your thing. If you choose to stick around these parts then enjoy your time in B&S. Heck, maybe I'll even see you in game :-)

Take care my friend. 

Actually, I didn't enjoy the game as much as I used to but I still appreciate what the game does to the genre in general.

My time now spent in FFXIV and BnS TW; take it easy though, glad we keep the conversation civil. 

Archived