Tanking: How Does It Work?

Lifesong

Hello, I am a noob looking for tips. I've been playing my KFM and I feel like I am getting a feel for DPS in PVE content. In PVP I pretty much hope to die quickly so that I can respawn and get back to questing... KFM is my secondary focus so I'm not too concerned about PVP right now. I'm going to work on clearing Mushin's Tower before I even think about PVP.

Searing Palm rotations are both fun and challenging. I am enjoying the class, but I can clearly see that I need to do some research to get the most out of it. I am not looking for a full skill build, but I've found myself confused about how threat mechanics work. It seems my primary method of generating threat is a combination of doing damage and using counter. I am wondering if tanking with a KFM is really as... How to put it... Is KFM tanking really as intense as I've been making it?

What should I be doing to keep an enemy focused on me when I want it? What can I do to avoid threat when I don't want it? How much threat does using counter give me when I have bonus threat specced? Should I be using the skill that gives me 150% bonus threat for 15 seconds for tanking? If so how does that mechanic actually work? Is it similar to a SMN's kitty taunt? Is there anything else I should be doing when I want to hold agro?

Help with any of the above questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

im not a pro in doing KFM tanking but what i can say to you, is that he is versatile as *cricket*, he can be whatever u want.Tank/dps, hydrid.

Threats are always good to have , because that will make the boss, or mobs focus you, so you Group team can damage them without taking damage.

I would`nt recommend it in mushin tower, because they will already focus you..(you are the only one there).just keep using skills that increase threat and doing damage, u will do good.

In group play, as a KFM you are expected to tank and buff (Tab - Fighting Spirit). So it is necessary to invest points into counter and guiding fist for their increased threat generation. Threat is based off damage so just keep dpsing while blocking attacks. KFM is blessed with a low CD counter and many iframe moves. Keep the boss in position and CC when appropriate. 

It's not as scary as it sounds but KFM does take a little more time to learn than other classes. The payoff is great though.

As already stated by Strindberg, KFM have 2 threat building skills:

Guiding Fist (If tanking, this should never be off cooldown)

Counter (Spec'd for Threat)

Siren Bracelet has a chance to roll threat as a stat.

Tremor will do additional damage based on your threat (If spec'd).

Threat is calculated mainly by DPS. The person doing the most DPS will generate the most threat. KFM can naturally DPS, so adding base threat to that DPS garners the KFM attention from bosses and the like. Summoner Cats have a taunt that can rip aggro from you, even if you are the top threat in the engagement. It's not a big deal, but when you aren't the primary threat target, it's harder to stack threat via Counter.

Your DPS vs the rest of your group will determine how much you have to focus in threat building. When I first started, the majority of my party out-geared/dps'd me, and there were times I felt I couldn't hold aggro without the Bracelet, or without making contact with every counter. As your character grows and does more DPS, you can focus less on forcing threat. Most of the time now I run with my critical bracelet, and just out-DPS my groups. Keeping guiding fist on cooldown, and only counter when I really need it.

Fighting spirit is a great KFM buff for the group, but there are certain bosses like Slashimi that I'd recommend spec'ing into something like Frost Prison. If you don't know the boss you're about to encounter too well, or you know a mechanic the boss utilizes that you could manage with it, spec Prison. The damage from Fighting Spirit is amazing, but it sucks if the 10 seconds are wasted ressurecting your ass.

Guiding Fist? I've been using it primarily in combination with SS as needed to avoid attacks.(or on the occasion I take a hit and go flying) Does it have a spec for increased threat? I guessed I missed it. I am using counter specced for threat.

If DPS is my main way to build threat then I think I've got the general idea and just need more practice. I was just barely able hold threat off my buddies who all have a sirens weapon and I don't have mine yet. Every time I missed a beat they pulled hate off me, but I held onto it most of the time. KFM is a secondary focus so it's likely my friends will always have better gear than my KFM. I guess I have a good reason to spend more gold on my KFM.

I actually didn't realize that sirens bracelet can change stats. I'll keep an eye open for that. That is very helpful to know.

Thanks for the tips!

Guiding Fist is all I've needed to hold threat, trivialising the need for the one that's on our counter. It's 1 point for 15 seconds of 150% increased threat, and that's on a 9 second cooldown. The ability has a very fast animation and there is no reason you wouldn't be able to keep the buff up at all times.

Just so you know, the threat buff provided by counter and guiding fist do not stack so taking both is pointless, unless you really want the 1-hit immunity  from counter underneath the threat-buff point. If you're only looking to group with your friends then the counter-based Threat buff should be fine, but if you're pugging then people wont wait for you to counter the boss before your FM goes apeshit on the boss. Its never fun trying to get back threat on a boss thats being kited around the room by ranged players, so guiding fist guarentees you can at least get the threat buff on.

Along with the threat info stated above, You really need to use Q/E and have C set to i-frame. Z can be set for an i-frame as well for certain bosses. If you get knocked down, you're gonna lose threat and you're gonna lose aggro. Make sure you're keeping up with your dodges and i-frames. Having Z set for stun and then using V is a good double CC to prevent major attacks that'll kill your teammates.

I would like to add that in addition to Counter and Guiding Fist, if you spec Tremor into tier 4 stage 3, it also generates 300% additional threat, making it a great tanking tool to ensure getting aggro on bosses at the beginning of the fight.

Thanks for the tip on the 15 second buff. My friends are usually willing to wait, but I do feel uncomfortable being unable to pull threat off someone else so I'll probably stick with Guiding Fist for now.

I have Q,E,C and Z all set to i-frame right now. I feel like it's extra important to have as many as possible since I don't really know my way around most boss fights yet. If I press the button early in a panic I still have another and my buddies are none the wiser. >_> I'll probably only look at removing them once I am much more comfortable with the class.

I hadn't considered using Z and V as a double stun. I don't want to spoil my friends too much and I love using the heal and I-frame on Z, but thanks for the tip. If I need that for any of our fights I'll know I have it available.

I'm usually running around without any points in tremor unless I specifically need to pull mobs toward me to group them up. I'll keep the 300% bonus in mind if I need it. Thanks for the tip!

And people said this community isn't helpful... You guys are great! Thanks for all the help.

Archived