Forums

SUGGESTION: Allow People to Have More Characters Than Number of Classes

Kadirra

I would actually pay to have more than 7 slots right now, and more than 8 when warlock comes out. Half the fun in these games for me is leveling new characters, and playing the same class type with different races or genders and possibly even try different servers. My suggestion is to increase the number of character slots that people can purchase to at least double the slots available now, if not triple or more.

Not everyone is an altaholic. I get that. But right now I feel terribly constrained on picking races or genders of characters because there's only so many slots I can have. I'm not asking to not have to pay for the new character slot, either. I understand that I'd have to pay for more slots. But let me do that, please?

I cannot be the only one that would like to play multiples of the same class for whatever reason, be it server, gender, race, etc. So please consider this suggestion. Thanks.

PS. Consider the financial benefits of first the slot being purchased, and possible other things purchased for each new character in the store, etc. Alts also help keep lower level content 'active' and make the game look more populated for those trying the game out for the first time, especially as the MMO ages.

PPS. Could make this a premium-only feature similarly to the way SWTOR does it. Allow anyone to be able to purchase up to the number of classes, and those extras would be purchasable by premium. Could force folks to choose 'actives' if their subs (premium) lapse in a similar fashion, as well.

They probably put character limitations to stop people from taking too many names for alts and then just never playing. This happened in another MMO I played... Tons of names taken with no one ever using them. Even Tera had to wipe unused names when they launched on Steam.

4 minutes ago, Teisho said:

They probably put character limitations to stop people from taking too many names for alts and then just never playing. This happened in another MMO I played... Tons of names taken with no one ever using them. Even Tera had to wipe unused names when they launched on Steam.

Well, as far as names go, this is apt to be a problem with the free model anyway. But with the current ability to add a space to names, it's easier to get the names you want.

I think they're following Archeage with only so many char slots across all servers for a single region (which is stupid). I agree, we should have the same amount of char slots open for all servers/regions, and should be allowed more than the max or at least 1 extra from the max for a duplicate class.

I'm all in favor of being able to purchase more character slots than classes, but bear in mind that inventory space is at a premium in this game and a character slot costs the same as 11 Dragon Trade Pouches, so there's probably a limit to character slots at least partially for that reason.

4 hours ago, Kadirra said:

Well, as far as names go, this is apt to be a problem with the free model anyway. But with the current ability to add a space to names, it's easier to get the names you want.

Actually, if someone has a name with or without a space, and you want that same name with or without a space (the opposite, basically. Depending on what the name is) you can't take it.

For example: if someone has a character named Johnson and you want the name John Son, you can't take it simply because Johnson is already taken.

1 hour ago, Teisho said:

Actually, if someone has a name with or without a space, and you want that same name with or without a space (the opposite, basically. Depending on what the name is) you can't take it.

For example: if someone has a character named Johnson and you want the name John Son, you can't take it simply because Johnson is already taken.

I didn't think that was the case. I thought spaces made names unique.

1 minute ago, FreddieMercury said:

I'm just concerned that we won't be able to get an extra slot whe Warlock comes out.

They already said they'd have a new slot available for new classes. I do not think they are going to be 'free', however.

More slots is a must. But not to have all classes, if you want more you should pony up. What we have is too limiting, and slots for the number of classes is too much for a "freeloader."

An ideal F2P slot count would be either 3 or 4. After that slots should be purchased, or possible side benefit of premium. If there were more account bound stuff, it'd be even better.

4 minutes ago, switchSL said:

So this post is about wanting 7-8 free character slots?  SMH

Not at all. Right now we are limited to having 7 character slots. 2 that are free, 5 more that can be purchased. I'm asking for more that we can purchase. Not asking for more for free.

I /have/ seven characters right now. I can't buy more slots now. I want to. I want more characters.

9 minutes ago, Kadirra said:

Not at all. Right now we are limited to having 7 character slots. 2 that are free, 5 more that can be purchased. I'm asking for more that we can purchase. Not asking for more for free.

I /have/ seven characters right now. I can't buy more slots now. I want to. I want more characters.

Isn't there only 7 classes?

I also would like the ability to have more than 7 characters on a single account. I realize that they have said elsewhere that we'll get the ability to have 1 character of each class type when warlock (and perhaps others) come out -- that's great.

But it's not enough given the way I enjoy games, I like leveling and playing alts, and making characters and running them more than just grinding end game forever. I also like enjoying the diversity that the game has to offer through style, and with the wardrobe options for male-female and each race, you really can't have as much fun with it as you'd like with the limited character offerings.

To the poster above you thinks I'm whining and asking for free crap, no. I have 7 slots, five of which I've paid for, and I'm expecting to pay for the 8th slot when warlock is released. I fully expect with NCSoft that I'd be paying for these extra slots I'm asking for. I've given this feedback in all my surveys on my 7 characters.

Please let me buy more slots. For all the free players who are only going to play their free two, don't see why I can't have 14 or whatever.

And no, I don't want another account and I will *not* be getting another. I do not want to manage multiple accounts ever again. Gone are the days that I have had 3+ accounts on a game. I want consolidation, I want account-wide achievements and services, and if I can't get them here, when the game has run the gamut of fun that it has to offer I'll move on. But yes, I'm happy to pay for character slots, if you want my money.

1 minute ago, KyoTanaka said:

Isn't there only 7 classes?

I think if you read my OP, you'll understand what I'm asking. For example, I would like to be able to make a female Gon destroyer in addition to the male Gon destroyer I already have, or a Lyn FM as well as the Yun FM I have. I like leveling. I like making new characters. I like having different concepts. And I could also want to play the same 7 classes on a different server (and 8 when warlock comes) in addition to the 7 I have on the server I am playing on now.

4 hours ago, MadBlue said:

I'm all in favor of being able to purchase more character slots than classes, but bear in mind that inventory space is at a premium in this game and a character slot costs the same as 11 Dragon Trade Pouches, so there's probably a limit to character slots at least partially for that reason.

Quite honestly, in this particular game, even with 7 alts I don't bother storing stuff for one character on another. Mail fees between characters makes it prohibitive back and forth, I can't be bothered. Yes I realize at 45 dailies may make mail fees trivial but to me, being nickle and dimed to death on every little thing from fast travel to mail is one of the things I immensely dislike about this game... And mail only allows 3 items to be attached? Not worth the grief. (As well as the storage issues, but that's another matter.) As hideous as storage is, I'm not going to that -effort-. Each of the alts gets their stuff, and that's it.

If another person is going to sink 5$ into the alt fee, and then pay the mail fees, the premium membership to get the mail privilege (because of that "bug" that prevents mail unless you have premium even if it is an alt)... or if they are going to go through the hassle of trading back and forth to manage bank... geh.

They made the whole system too onerous and annoying to me.

I'm sure there are people who will put up with it to beat that dragon pouch trade off... but honestly, I will stop playing before then. I won't invest time OR money somewhere that is trying to get into my wallet that hard, regardless of the fact that I keep staring at the store looking for something cool to buy. If the value isn't there, I'll go spend my gaming budget elsewhere. I just can't get behind the whole ... throwing money down the toilet mentality.

22 hours ago, MadBlue said:

I really hadn't considered this as a possible reason for the lack of additional purchasable slots. I'd hope that isn't the case. One would think, however, that they stand to gain more from people buying stuff for their new characters to outweigh anyone that would try to 'game' the system (which would be very awkward/cumbersome to do, as was mentioned) earlier.

1 hour ago, Kadirra said:

I really hadn't considered this as a possible reason for the lack of additional purchasable slots. I'd hope that isn't the case. One would think, however, that they stand to gain more from people buying stuff for their new characters to outweigh anyone that would try to 'game' the system (which would be very awkward/cumbersome to do, as was mentioned) earlier.

Yeah, I'm sure that's not the only reason. Some MMOs have a limit because it impacts performance, so that could also have something to do with it. It could be that Koreans aren't altoholics to the extent that Western players are, and the game architecture of Korean games isn't designed with that kind of database load in mind.

43 minutes ago, MadBlue said:

Yeah, I'm sure that's not the only reason. Some MMOs have a limit because it impacts performance, so that could also have something to do with it. It could be that Koreans aren't altoholics to the extent that Western players are, and the game architecture of Korean games isn't designed with that kind of database load in mind.

I understand -- this is why I noted that for all those players who are F2P and won't be buying extra slots, surely those of us at the segment/outliers who want to buy extra slots can offset it.

While I understand they may have already figured this into capacity for servers, keep in mind -- and while we can't be logging in two at a time you're right, it would indeed be the database storage that is the sticky spot. That would have to be something they look at architecturally unfortunately. But if I could ostensibly plunk down a second account and throw 25$ into it for the slots, and be on the same server, and never log in that still takes up the DB space and takes away from the population in play.

They could do something dynamically and just ... subtract out on the capacity or something. It can't be rocket science to dynamically limit the population based on the number of people who go over cap. I know they want the servers to seem "full" though... But, money IS money. They'd have to figure if the overhead of paying customers was worth it against people who wouldn't log in etc etc.

And then there's retention, people paying not to play, and so forth. People paying for a bunch of characters and then not logging them in for a long time. They still have to cope with that eventuality as the game matures and balance that against keeping the server lively and seeming populated for the inevitability of server mergers and collapses.

So... you gotta expect that storing a tiny teeny flat file for my extra 7 characters (or whatever) is not a huge deal in the scheme of things. But then I'm not a DB architect, I'm just a hack coder. :P Lol.

If enough of us say we'd pay money for this, maybe they will let us have a couple more slots. We know they want our monies.

Archived