Forums

EVGA GTX 980 SC constant crashing (factory overclocked GPU issue?)

kyoobin

3 hours ago, kyoobin said:

Okay, I just played TERA for 30min-1hr and the driver stopped responding and recovered... Now I'm starting to doubt it's just BnS. Now it could be Windows 10, nvidia driver, or my GPU.. f*ckk so frustrating.

The only problem I have had that is the same is the constant driver failures.  It started with Tera then moved to GW2 and Warframe, and finally even SWTOR was doing it.  What fixed the problem for me (having a EVGA 970 FTW) is setting my clock speed down so that the boost clock while in game will be under 1300.  For some reason, at least in my case, whenever my gpu went over 1300mhz the driver would start failing.  

This is still puzzling, are you able to underclock as suggested? What tools (3rd party or bundled with your GFX manufacturer) have you got available to you? For example with the EVGA cards they supply Precision X to control clock/memory speeds etc. You may even be able to create a profile that you find works with BnS that under utilises your video card but allows you to play without issue.

i am running 2 x 980GTX Ti's in SLI... 

I crash every now and then, but its not very frequent.  

Its seems my crash are heaviest when its a highly populated map... or its sometimes completely random like when i am dead, and laying on the floor waiting for my team mates to res me.  

The best way to test the card is to download a program like Heaven by UNIGEN:

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

run it and see if you can see artifcating.  Basically its botches on the screen where things look broken. 

Or you can use FurMark by Ozone:

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

These programs will Heavily load up your GPU and all its shader glory to test for stability / heat / and artifcating.  

If you see no artifacting, then no its not your GPU, and most likely a driver issue with the game.

It makes no sense when only 1 game keeps crashing like that, and not the others.  

Now if your crashing on those benchmarks, then most likely something is wrong with either again drivers, or your hardware.  

It can be a lot of stuff and not just GPU releated... it could be Power supply not supplying enough wattage, it could be ram not being stable, it could be you looked at your PC funny and it got pissed off, so it decided to.. err... no the last option is a joke, but u get the point.  

59 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

i am running 2 x 980GTX Ti's in SLI... 

I crash every now and then, but its not very frequent.  

Its seems my crash are heaviest when its a highly populated map... or its sometimes completely random like when i am dead, and laying on the floor waiting for my team mates to res me.  

The best way to test the card is to download a program like Heaven by UNIGEN:

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/heaven/

run it and see if you can see artifcating.  Basically its botches on the screen where things look broken. 

Or you can use FurMark by Ozone:

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

These programs will Heavily load up your GPU and all its shader glory to test for stability / heat / and artifcating.  

If you see no artifacting, then no its not your GPU, and most likely a driver issue with the game.

It makes no sense when only 1 game keeps crashing like that, and not the others.  

Now if your crashing on those benchmarks, then most likely something is wrong with either again drivers, or your hardware.  

It can be a lot of stuff and not just GPU releated... it could be Power supply not supplying enough wattage, it could be ram not being stable, it could be you looked at your PC funny and it got pissed off, so it decided to.. err... no the last option is a joke, but u get the point.  

Yes! It does crash very randomly for me as well. There was a day when I installed driver 347.88 and I was able to play 12 hours straight before it crashed once. I have only benchmarked using Firestrike and I was able to complete it fine. I will try Heaven right now.

The thing is, it made a lot of sense when I learned that BnS might not be able to handle high clock speed. I even asked the guy if he still gets crashes after downclocking and he said no.

46jjwwu.png

I'm just still stuck on what Sajin said. He firmly believes that " all cards should work perfectly out of the box at out of the box clock speeds. "

and if there's an issue with a factory overclocked card when playing a certain game, it should be the GPU's fault and should be RMA'd.

I mean, if a game just simply can't handle overclocks then, how is RMA'ing a card going to do anything. I will still get the same card with the same core/boost clock. Is it even possible for one card to be able to run BnS at high core clock better than another of the same card? If I am able to play even more intensive games fine, then it doesn't make any sense that the card is faulty.. 

EDIT: Thanks Naekuh for reading my super long post and taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it, and the joke in the end made my day, thanks.

EDIT: Okay, ran Heaven a couple of times, works like a charm.

LO6a4v1.png

This  game is quite amazing. Stand in waterfall and the GPU goes all the way to 99%  @ 65C. While doing 24 man field bosses, the GPU usage % goes down to less than 30%. What even is optimization haha.

kNIf1cE.jpg

Archived