Why are you combining the names of all characters into one name?

Froggyman

Honestly don't see why would anyone else care, most of the time the character names sound indifferent and I thought Ug Li and Yo Gi was hilarious. Granted the localization did mess with the mediocre storytelling, I don't tend to look at the NPCs by their names but remember them by their personalities and looks which IMO are done incredibly well by the original developers.

Trust me, even koreans are not sure how to efficiently put our names in English. For example my name is KimHyungjoon in Korean, but I have struggled over ten years in America trying to have people understand it is Hyungjoon altogether first name. People usually think it Hyung Joon Kim, Joon as a middle name. I wouldve surprised if NC invented a way of not confusing Americans with Korean name.

Granted if you're mentioning cultural insensitivity, I could point out many things this game has appropriated from Chinese culture and Chinese storytelling (not talking about CN client either). Just chillax, the names are silly but the main point of this form of localization is to make the NPC's understandable and not necessarily culturally accurate. For all we know with all the borrowed Chinese themes, they might as well be Chinese in which the original Korean wording would be ultimately wrong and quote on quote, insensitive.

6 hours ago, Yancha said:

Honestly

I thought the reference names were really cool

Yeah. The fact that people who previously played with a fan-translated English file seem to think that the game didn't have any humorous external references in Korean and that puns, memes etc were just added to the NA/EU version shows that the Korean pop-culture references would have just gone over the heads of everyone had they simply translated from Korean.

Damn this is turned out to be a great discussion.

I honestly did not know that's the way the Korean name was formatted. Good information altogether.

And those of you who said "chill", I don't see anything offensive or attacking in this thread so far, so probably I might be missing it or you just need to not read everything in a negative tone.

Cheers.

This game was not translated, it was localized. The localization team apparently thought we're all incapable of understanding a different culture, considering how much of the culture is removed from this game, along with things like removing a story about a peeping tom (seriously, what the *cricket*?).

12 minutes ago, GreenBunionSoup said:

This game was not translated, it was localized. The localization team apparently thought we're all incapable of understanding a different culture, considering how much of the culture is removed from this game, along with things like removing a story about a peeping tom (seriously, what the *cricket*?).

I'm not surprised.

We got the censored CN version of costumes because the western publisher thinks we're not mature enough to decide on our own.

6 minutes ago, N3ph1lim said:

I'm not surprised.

We got the censored CN version of costumes because the western publisher thinks we're not mature enough to decide on our own.

I don't play this game for the eye candy, so the costumes being less slutty aren't a huge issue for me. What is a huge issue is the blatant censorship, after them claiming they wouldn't. This has become off topic though, and I'm just gonna drop it

The most glaring example of terrible localization & translation is "Mushin".

In the NA version the full name of the character is Mushin - The Divine Fist.

However, in the original KR version the same character's full name is  武神 - 천진권.

For those of you unfamiliar with Korean, 武神 - 천진권 is officially broken down into:

Title: 武神

Name: 천진권

The title, 武神, when written in hangul is 무신 (romanized: Mushin) and can be taken to mean God of War, or Divine Fist.

The name, 천진권, when romanized, can be written as Cheon Jin Won.

So the Korean name for [NA's "Mushin"] is the Divine Fist - Cheon Jin Won.

That means the NA character "Mushin - The Divine Fist", when taking the original name of the character LITERALLY means Divine Fist - The Divine Fist (or alternatively, God of War - The Divine Fist).

For more information, simply refer to the KR wiki page:

https://namu.wiki/w/천진권

great job/10

4 hours ago, TrueFriday said:

Okay first of all, I am Korean and I am way more fluent in Korean language than English. Reason why they put names together is because thats the way how we write down our names in Korean. We dont put space between our first and last name which is why Jung Hado looks so weird way of putting down name. Junghado IS the accurate and traditional way to spell Korean name as well as Dochun. I am not sure why you think putting names together is culturally and racially insensitive, but as Korean, who has similiar name to all npcs in game, Nc is doing great in terms of naming. To be honest, it is more likely you that is insensitive culturally since you were completely judging from western way of naming.

This is a nice theory, but there is one thing wrong with this.

Inconsistency. 

Most NPC names are <Last Name> <Space> <First Name>. For example, Bloodshade Harbor trader in Hogshead Hamlet is named Fei Musu. That is in roman convention, much like how Japanese names can be written surname first or vice verse when romanized interchangeably. The names that ARE mushed together are main character names, and the sole reason for this was to make them 'iconic.' All names are already simplified for pronunciation and readability, and most NPC names are already transliterated correctly. Remember, we are using Latin characters, not Korean Hangul. Therefore because it is written one way in Hangul, does not mean that is the correct way to write it using latin characters. See, Japanese or Chinese names. They are also written without white space in the native characters, but when you romanize names, SPACES are put between surname and given names.

This is a general convention for romanized Asian names, whether it be Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc. The mushed together first and last name is plain wrong, and the writing team knows it. Or else ALL NPC names would be written together.

Secondly, what is easier to remember 148759303? Or 148 759 303? For someone new to the game, Dochun, Dodan and Doyung are extremely easy to confuse as they both start the same way, with the same number of syllables. Who is who? By putting the correct spaces, it becomes easy to identify the difference as instead you have Chun, Dan and Yung as identifiers. Ironically, Doyung's wife has her name written as Lee Hungsui.

As someone with a three part Chinese name, I do declare it culturally insensitive to play around with naming conventions like this. I would NOT like my name to be written smushed together at all as it is incorrect, and the reason for it is garbage. What does 'iconic' even mean, when it just as likely makes the characters even harder to remember? Why does Junghado get the name treatment, but Yunma Fei has her name written correctly?

• 1 month later...
On February 13, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Noriken said:

The most glaring example of terrible localization & translation is "Mushin".

In the NA version the full name of the character is Mushin - The Divine Fist.

However, in the original KR version the same character's full name is  武神 - 천진권.

For those of you unfamiliar with Korean, 武神 - 천진권 is officially broken down into:

Title: 武神

Name: 천진권

The title, 武神, when written in hangul is 무신 (romanized: Mushin) and can be taken to mean God of War, or Divine Fist.

The name, 천진권, when romanized, can be written as Cheon Jin Won.

That means the NA character "Mushin - The Divine Fist", when taking the original name of the character LITERALLY means Divine Fist - The Divine Fist (or alternatively, God of War - The Divine Fist).

For more information, simply refer to the KR wiki page:

https://namu.wiki/w/천진권

great job/10

My FOB side is itching with that explanation

cheon jin won (or kwon as people have said) is actually based on the chinese words 天津拳(which is what CN had used because its the correct translation as the hangul was based off of the chinese characters.)

why i mention kwon is because of taekwondo (or however you spell it). kwon literally means fist/punch/strike, or '拳'. And 天津 having the meaning of divinity. 'Mushins' actual name literally means the Divine Fist.

As for 武神, his title as you said, means war god. In other words he is basically Cheon Jin Kwon the War God or Divine Fist, the Mushin lmao

What NA had done was turning his name into a title and his original title into his name. "Mushin (supposedly his title) the Divine Fist (his actual name)"

I find this translation very narrow minded. Just have a look at the successful anime culture, Japan/being spread everywhere. They never started with "Good morning, Mr./Mrs. Miller" but kept the "Good morning, Mizuki-San". Everyone in the anime scene understands clearly the japanese honorifics and it's easy to learn. And this is what multicultural experience is like, we get to know fantastic insight, beginning with easy steps.

(Off topic: Just last month I learned that if an english based speaker says "this is quite good", it means that it really is bad. Simultaneously the rest of the world classifies it as "quite good"=better than just good. I talked to my colleagues from England about this; this is a part of the english culture and also very fascinating.)

BnS has thousands of text passages, would've hurt it to include a short introduction to korean names like our korean posters made here? I mean, everyone playing BnS knows that we're going to play a korean game. So everyone of us is prepared to dive into a fantasy where we have Elins/Lyns as well as korean behaviour (NPCs do animated bows which differs in meaning from western bows). Everyone of us has enough brains and is willing to learn about korean names (I guess?).

The inconsistency. I understand that NCsoft is doing some jokes on names. You have to kill "*cricket*-Un" (or was it "Bi-Chun"?), the NPC Lon-Som (Lonesome) has the Lon-Li (lonely) diary. But for at least the main characters, NCsoft should have had a normal QA (quality assurance) which checks 1 NPC to have the same name always. Lady Yehara, Ye Hagara, Jinsoyun, and so on.

Oh well, perhaps we should be glad that we are called Jyan. We will never know how close we were to be called "Earthbumper" through the whole game .... (refers to storyline, checkpoint Ogong).

47 minutes ago, Celestine said:

I find this translation very narrow minded. Just have a look at the successful anime culture, Japan/being spread everywhere. They never started with "Good morning, Mr./Mrs. Miller" but kept the "Good morning, Mizuki-San". Everyone in the anime scene understands clearly the japanese honorifics and it's easy to learn. And this is what multicultural experience is like, we get to know fantastic insight, beginning with easy steps.

That's not exactly true. I may be dating myself here, but I watched Speed Racer (Mach Go Go Go), Gigantor (Tetsujin 28), Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Taitei), Marine Boy (Kaitei Shonen Marin) and Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom) as a child in the early 70s, and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Star Blazers (Uchusenkan Yamato) in the late 70s - long before anime became a thing in the West, and all of the Japanese names were changed to English ones.  I remember watching grainy, fan-subbed, bootlegged copies of anime back in university in the late 80s. It wasn't until the 90s that anime started to take root in the West, and it wasn't unto the 2000s that it really started to take off. It certainly wasn't adopted wholesale into the West as a slice of Japanese culture.

That being said, with the world being so connected by the internet now, cultural information is freely accessible, so there's less of a reason to feel the need to localize cultural elements - especially in a game that is based on Asian cultures.

This post is a waste of time cause most players don't really care what their names is.

For me all those names I've come across are fine with me, I don't mind it, Not paying any attention to it.

Sure sometimes I see a weird name, but I leave it as it is.

Because the true fact is, they are NOT going to change it.

If they have to change the name Namsoyoo to something else, might be a massive undertaking cause they have to rewrite the name in the entire game & modify cutscenes.

This applies to any other major names.

Their main goal is to focus on fixing the game's issue it currently is experiencing and polishing the game. Although this game is a few years old and we are getting a used-game from the koreans, there is still a major list to do for them to polish the game.

1 hour ago, Artifact said:

They got Aion right but BnS not so much.

I see ridiculous names like Old man OH, Wong OK, Dongwan etc... I understand Old man Cho but OH or OK?

There was actually a tremendous amount of localization done on Aion. Maybe it was done "better" because it launched as P2P in the West and more effort was made, or maybe since Aion is pretty much a generic fantasy world, localizing Korean elements into things players in the West would be more familiar with didn't jar with the setting as much as they do with BnS.

For me, the most jarring part of the localization of BnS is the use of words like "loser" and "dude," and a few other comments that just sounded too contemporary and Western. Then again, the game has school uniforms, and outfits with headphones, ripped jeans and Hello Kitty motifs, so it's not like the dialog is the only thing that impacts a feeling of immersion in the game world.

On 2/14/2016 at 9:52 AM, Noriken said:

While that's true, to native English speakers who don't know Korean, "Mushin" probably sounds cooler, and more ominous, than "Cheon Jin Won".  

Also, "Mushin - the Divine Fist" actually works. I could totally see someone saying that. Saying the name, and then explaining what it means.

14 minutes ago, OnlyRyan said:

Not part of the combining names issue but they named that archer guy in misty woods "Huren" (literally =  "B1tches" in german). Loled a little the first time i saw him.

The reason why they renamed "Yuran" to "Yura" is because it would be pronounced "urine". Also "Kun" was renamed to "Yun" because it rhymes with "gun" (not "goon"). Probably not the best name for an all-female race, especially given the kind of names people come up with.

Archived