Stop it - Stop it - STOP IT!

sleyes

I've been playing MMOs for years. I "get" that players are passionate and opinionated.

But please - PLEASE - stop being such *#%$* in these forums.

Some players have gripes. Some have concerns. Some have legitimate questions. But all your "L2Play, newb!" B*llsh*t responses do is make you look like an idiot.

This is not YOUR game. This is not MY game. This is not THEIR game. This is OUR GAME. The collective "WE" need to be nicer and more helpful to one another. For ALL our sakes.

6 minutes ago, sleyes said:

I've been playing MMOs for years. I "get" that players are passionate and opinionated.

Some players have gripes. Some have concerns. Some have legitimate questions. But all your "L2Play, newb!" B*llsh*t responses do is make you look like an idiot.

This is not YOUR game. This is not MY game. This is not THEIR game. This is OUR GAME. The collective "WE" need to be nicer and more helpful to one another. For ALL our sakes.

Amen brother

4 minutes ago, Profyrion said:

Because telling people to be nice to each other on the Internet always works.

:P

But sadly this is true

You can't let strangers' words and opinions affect you in such a way that you react in anger, or frustration. This is what a troll wants. He wants you to react. He wants you to rage.

If a stranger says to me, "you suck bro..."  I wouldn't even acknowledge it and keep going about my business. The only opinions you should care about are your own, and a select few people you care about.

If it's a stranger on the internet, who cares what they think?

7 minutes ago, Naou said:

Kind of reflects on yourself as a person.

No it doesn't. 

This is the internet...you do not know who they are as a person. That is why asking people to "be nice" to each other on the internet is a waste of time. You don't know who I am, I don't know who you are...as a person.

Hell, they could be roleplaying a insufferable douchebag for all you know...lol

10 minutes ago, TopKEK said:

You don't tell people to stop being jerks by being a jerk lel

That's silly to say. It's like if I call someone out for being mean for hurting someone else - does that make me mean for saying someone is mean? Calling out someone for being a jerk doesn't make you a jerk though? 

2 minutes ago, Cyradus said:

No it doesn't. 

This is the internet...you do not know who they are as a person. That is why asking people to "be nice" to each other on the internet is a waste of time. You don't know who I am, I don't know who you are...as a person.

Hell, they could be roleplaying a insufferable douchebag for all you know...lol

Again, it's silly to say and it's silly that people feel the need to ask people to be nicer to others. Like said, just because there's anonymity online, it doesn't justify that being a complete arse is okay. It's amusing how some people seem to take offense by someone asking them to be nicer? Okay. 

And yeah, it does reflect who you are as a person - doesn't have to be towards someone else, but could be towards yourself? If I'm a complete arse to someone online then I'm going to accept that as who I am as a person - offline or online, you're still the same person. You pretend you're a chick to get gold and seduce men online? Well, you're still a guy IRL and that's not going to change. 

Just now, Naou said:

That's silly to say. It's like if I call someone out for being mean for hurting someone else - does that make me mean for saying someone is mean? Calling out someone for being a jerk doesn't make you a jerk though? 

There's a difference between being hurt and having a legitimate reason to feel the need to retaliate and going around claiming to be someone who speaks for a whole group and acting as if everyone is jerkwad when they barely even got to know the place. 

This is the latter, it's a person claiming to speak for everyone when the person has barely even gotten through the forums, I've seen people complain about the game, I've seen one or two complain about certain people but other than that there's hardly been any real issues with people being jerks or anything. Unless I'm seeing this wrong, not everyone here has been a jerk, only the small amount of people in comparison to the masses. Not only that, if this person was really hoping to tell people to stop being jerks, they'd do the opposite of insulting them, you don't empty a pot of water by putting more water in it, that just overflows it. 

My two cents on this post (: 

2 minutes ago, Naou said:

And yeah, it does reflect who you are as a person 

No, it doesn't. I could be the nicest person in the world. I could then log into a forum, under a fake internet handle, and be the biggest dick in the forum. That does NOT reflect on me as a person, because you do not KNOW me as a person. If you can't see this point, then it is pointless to debate it with you. The internet is not an echo chamber. You will get different views on topics here. :)

Also, you contradict yourself when you say that online and offline you are the same person/pretend you are a chick when you are really a guy to get gold analogy. Sorry.

People usually respond harshly to the people who feel like their post stomping their feet and screeching about how they're qutting and how they're so mad the game doesn't actually revolve around them as a single person. Those kinds of topics are ALL over the place and IMO are more toxic to the community than the people telling them to suck it up and play.

If a new player comes in here and sees 12 topics moaning and wailing about how PvP isnt fair (for only their single class), about how they just put in a ticket but they bet they won't even answer, about how the new free item mechanic isn't good enough to them, about how they want premium benefits for free, wahh, wahh, wahhhh, those new people are probably going to think "wow, this is an awful place, no one's happy, I shouldn't invest time in this"

NOBODY needs to know if you're quitting. NOBODY cares. Just leave. How tiring is it to have to pitch a fit every time you don't like a game and quit it.

Aside from the fact that generally it seems like those people don't leave, but actually hang around being toxic in the forums in every topic they can inject their crap opinion into like an insect. If people react coldly to those kinds of topics it's usually deserved. 

2 minutes ago, Redmonster said:

Those kinds of topics are ALL over the place and IMO are more toxic to the community than the people telling them to suck it up and play.

You know, in most older MMOs like EQ, EQ2 SWG or WoW, I tend to agree with this. In this game, we really don't have a community based on the forums that effects the game. I think this is because this game is basically a fighting game with a lobby more than it is an MMO.

2 minutes ago, Cyradus said:

You know, in most older MMOs like EQ, EQ2 SWG or WoW, I tend to agree with this. In this game, we really don't have a community based on the forums that effects the game. I think this is because this game is basically a fighting game with a lobby more than it is an MMO.

I don't agree at all. A hell of a lot of people play this as their "MMO" and not as a PvP platform. A lot of people on the forums seem upset that they're forced to play the PvP aspects at all. And this game is a lot more complicated and a lot less intuitive than most of the MMOs I've played where it's just generic "grind quests where you help a farmer kill the rabbits in the field until you're max lvl and assign your lvl up points into strength or magic or def and win"

There's a lot in this game that makes you stop and say "I don't understand, I want help, I need a guide, I need to ask a question, I'm going to the forum". I've almost never felt the need to go to forums in games where you're self-sufficient the whole time and nothing is difficult. This game I've got like five tabs open with different guides and item stats. So yeah, it'd be nice if this was a community and not a platform for people to cry into the electronic abyss like anyone at all cares that they're leaving because premium isn't free.

8 hours ago, sleyes said:

There will always be people like this, you cannot stop it. Even in this thread, you can already see some examples so imagine the others out there. Some people do it to troll while some are just assholes at heart. Best thing to do is to find others that are actually nice and not assholes or trolls.

People trollin', people whinin'
Players banned can you hear them cryin'?
Can you practice what you preach?
And would you turn the other cheek?

GMs, GMs, GMs help us
Send us some updates from above
The fourms got me, got me questionin'
Where is the love?

6 hours ago, TheRealBronx said:

You can't let strangers' words and opinions affect you in such a way that you react in anger, or frustration. This is what a troll wants. He wants you to react. He wants you to rage.

If a stranger says to me, "you suck bro..."  I wouldn't even acknowledge it and keep going about my business. The only opinions you should care about are your own, and a select few people you care about.

If it's a stranger on the internet, who cares what they think?

IT isn't so much about it being important so much as it over time chips away ..

IT IS long past time that moderators on ALL games started putting a muzzle on this kind of internet bullying .. AND that is what it is bullying and IT IS AGAINST the law now..

I will laugh if some of these trolls finally face the consequences for their bad behavior

Archived