How long does it take to not suck?

Pico

I am newer to this game so don't have quite the background some of these players do, but I managed to make it to Gold before they reset.  I started again and got into mid silver, and then  damn near beaten back into bronze again.  

Could this be because since the reset a lot of the higher ranked players are still in silver working their way up?  If not then I will need to uninstall. 

Seriously though, how would you advice someone who is new and not that good at pvp to get better?  I know of training protocols for athletics, but for games, I guess all there is is practice, but getting curb stomped actually has resulted in me playing worse. Whatever I am doing, I think I'm doing it wrong.

Learn your matchups (use bladeandsouldojo, reddit, youtube for guides) and learn your combos - practice on pigs with a training weapon. Those are big factors for every class. 

As far as how long it takes, it's different for every person. Some people learn very quickly and others slowly. People also learn in different ways. It just depends on how well you absorb the information and apply it. 

Yeah you have to just Learn, i am a KFM and when i first started i lost every match. i think i lost 10 in a row then won my first. partly because i need to learn my class and what combos i posses as well as what combos the other classes posses to. i finally learned that if i spend points into grapple and i successfully land it in the clutch i regain health. so i basically have to counter other people moves and CC them then attempt to get a grapple off. i have 4 skills that can knock them down. i find that if i cant get my grapple off at least once i will evidently lose the match. so you have to really learn your class before you get good. 

How long does it take? That depends on how well you memorize single button inputs, and how in-tune you are with your class's specific combo behavior. The game is incredibly rigid with how you play it. Each class has a ~70% damage combo. You're taking it and using it religiously, regardless of how you like to play. Go read up on what your class uses to deliver obscene damage under CC chain, and learn it against some tanky opponents. Do it over and over and over. Then duel players and use it over and over and over, regardless of whether it's appropriate or whether it makes you win. From there, progress will be quick. If you don't like that class's combo or behavior, reroll a different class before you sink too much time into a character you'll abandon out of frustration.

I never played on other servers or beta. I got plat when I was lv40 and hit diamond at lv45 in about 200 games total.

The key is you need to summarize and analyze why you lost. ie I lost a game because I couldn't counter vs summoner. I immediately looked up the skill tree and found the skill. I learned a lot of things on the journey to diamond and it felt like a very rewarding experience.

I guess the answer to your question depends a lot on how you define "not suck".

For me, my basic ambition has always been to be a challenging opponent to average players. When I started out, first in Asia and then in the CBT, I was surrounded by much more experienced people and of 300 games, I lost 200+. So I saw myself as a permanent silver rank candidate.

However, when the big population (the much acclaimed 1 million players XD ) came pouring in at launch, I reached gold within 20 games.
So obviously my ambition is now to be a better player, and reach platinum soon, but I will be relaxed about it. By the end of the current season will be enough for me.

So you decide for yourself what the definition will be. If at the end of the season you are at rank 1700ish, you can consider yourself an average player across the whole population and nothing to be ashamed of. If you like PvP, and want to make a big effort, I am sure you will easily reach platinum in time.

Most importantly: have fun along the way! ^_^

Ways to get better:

Research your class

There are multiple forums with class discussions that you should go look up and learn everything from the basics to the finer points of your class. (I suggest blade and soul dojo)

Research other classes

You can't be good in PVP without understanding how other classes work in PVP, or how they will setup their combo, you need to know at what point that BM is trying to bait your F roll so he can tech chase etc so you can counter play, or when to use your tab in that assassin combo, or when not to use it against a KFM/Destro. The more you understand the better you will do as you can start to predict their next move and plan accordingly and not get yourself into a bad situation.

Watch Pro/Diamond player streams

Watch how they handle the other classes, watch how they bait, watch how they move and deal with certain situations.

Put it into practice

After you're full on theoretical knowledge, its time to put it into play. A few hundred games to make your combos/reactions become instinct and muscle memory rather than a time consuming decision process.

Doing the above should put you above the vast majority of players, as most people just login and PVP till they lose then hit ALT + Tab head to these forums and post how OP X class is instead of looking up how to deal with it.

On 2/12/2016 at 4:45 AM, Jamein said:

Ways to get better:

Research your class

There are multiple forums with class discussions that you should go look up and learn everything from the basics to the finer points of your class. (I suggest blade and soul dojo)

Research other classes

You can't be good in PVP without understanding how other classes work in PVP, or how they will setup their combo, you need to know at what point that BM is trying to bait your F roll so he can tech chase etc so you can counter play, or when to use your tab in that assassin combo, or when not to use it against a KFM/Destro. The more you understand the better you will do as you can start to predict their next move and plan accordingly and not get yourself into a bad situation.

Watch Pro/Diamond player streams

Watch how they handle the other classes, watch how they bait, watch how they move and deal with certain situations.

Put it into practice

After you're full on theoretical knowledge, its time to put it into play. A few hundred games to make your combos/reactions become instinct and muscle memory rather than a time consuming decision process.

Doing the above should put you above the vast majority of players, as most people just login and PVP till they lose then hit ALT + Tab head to these forums and post how OP X class is instead of looking up how to deal with it.

Thanks

Hello,

I cannot read all the above replies but I will give you my suggestion and what I used to do. I used to first read very carefully all my skills and memorize what they do. Then I watched some video guides(not really guides I was just watching the tournaments and the class I play) and saw what skills they used and then pretty much adjusted my skills. Then I grabbed some friends and asked them kindly to explain me what they do against my class, like how they play and then think how to counter them. Once I had all this knowledge I started doing arena, perfected my timings and things started looking positive.

How I train myself when it comes to fighting games is,

If its an MMO sort of game, I PVP before being top level. Why? I always find it helpful to work with fewer skills because, it ends up getting  me use to dodging, mastering the basics without relying on DPS skills,  and over all reacting when my back is against the wall.  Also, when everyone is, most likely, stronger than you, once you are at their level, they dont seem nearly as impressive. (This is actually the method I use in my every day life, lol.)

Focus on trying to train one thing at a time, once you feel like you got a feel for your character.  If your KFM keeps stunning you, focus on stopping that any time it comes up.

Watching videos usually comes when I feel like Ive hit a plateau. When you feel like youve milked all you can from abusing yourself from stronger enemies/mastering fighting against your friends, videos help mix up your playstyle.

With my method youll end up dieing alot, so if you have a low tolerance for failure or you take PVP too seriously I wouldnt recommenced it, lol.

Depends on yourself, and what class you pick.. 

Some classes really dont need a lot of skill and have hard rotations, some really have..
Get destroyer or summoner if you dont want to learn and adapt.. or LBM

Get sin or KFM if you want to learn or adapt, or even BM

Archived