Master Loot Distribution Method/Ninja Loot

MeowMeoow

I originally sent this as a ticket to support as I wanted to make sure someone in NCsoft actually reads this and it doesnt get buried here in the forums. Support asked me to paste this on forums as well because "What's better than making the dev's read it twice, right?".
This isn't a QQ thread but rather a suggestion(s) post with some solutions that might actually make the issue of Ninja Loot disappear from the game.

Hi,
As you are probably well aware, we as players, have a problem with how the current loot distribution works. The problem is such that certain players are changing the loot distribution method to "Master" right before a dungeon boss dies and take all hard-earned loot of party members.

Let's start with 2 main facts about this issue:
1. It's indeed not your problem as a company that players abuse an in-game mechanism to "hurt" other players.
2. It causes much frustration among the community that works hard to get a certain rare drop and/or to make money.

I have thought up a few simple (or so I think) solutions to make up for the lack of respect between players concerning yhis issue. I am well aware of the fact that the NA team probably cant code something that will change a game mechanic, yet I still hope to see this issue resolved, be it with my suggestions or an other method you think of.

1. Make it impossible to change loot distribution method when one, or more, of players in a party is in combat stance. That way, party leader will not be able to "surprise" other members and changing the distribution method right before boss dies.
There are 2 main cons in this idea;
A. Party leader can change the distribution method right before the last boss of a dungeon and just wait until one of 2 things will happen. 
-Party members leave and new players that join will not notice the change in distribution, kill the boss and not get loot.
-Original party members will decide to kill the dungeon boss anyway, and again wont get any loot.
B. With the current bug of players sometimes unable to leave battle stance, in case the party actually want to change loot distribution, they wont be able to do that.
With that said, the second solution can either work perfectly with the first one and/or as a standalone solution.

2. Make it impossible to change loot distribution after a certain part inside a dungeon. Example: party gets to the first mini boss of a dungeon and starts attacking it, a message will show on screen saying "Changing loot distribution method is no longer available", and the fuction will be blocked. 
That way players will not lose much time and progress inside a dungeon if/when party leaders decide to change distribution method to "Master".
Last one, and in my opinion the best of them.

3. Make changing distribution method a vote between party members that needs 5 players (or 6) to vote "yes" for the change to pass. 
That way, it will be impossible for party leaders to change distribution method without party members knowing and accepting the change.

I dont know if any of those ideas were suggested and/or discussed before, but since I didn't see anything from your side on the forums concerning this issue and nothing on the recent patch's notes, I decided to send a ticket as in the forums it will probably get buried and no one will read it.

Lastly, thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry for the wall of text.

-MeowMeoow.

3 minutes ago, Aiezen said:

I'm all for party members having to vote when the loot distribution is changed. Imho any settings that affect the whole party should be voted on by all members.

that's what i'd like to see too. If the whole party has to decide if looting is changed, the issue will be resolved immediatly

6 minutes ago, Aiezen said:

I'm all for party members having to vote when the loot distribution is changed. Imho any settings that affect the whole party should be voted on by all members.

2 minutes ago, dEEkAy2k9 said:

that's what i'd like to see too. If the whole party has to decide if looting is changed, the issue will be resolved immediatly

I agree with you both, any settings thay affect the party as a whole should be voted by the party. Since the most pressing issue (imo) with those settings is the distribution method change, I only addressed that issue.

34 minutes ago, MeowMeoow said:

Ia standalone solution.
2. Make it impossible to change loot distribution after a certain part inside a dungeon. Example: party gets to the first mini boss of a dungeon and starts attacking it, a message will show on screen saying "Changing loot distribution method is no longer available", and the fuction will be blocked. 

3. Make changing distribution method a vote between party members that needs 5 players (or 6) to vote "yes" for the change to pass. 
That way, it will be impossible for party leaders to change distribution method without party members knowing and accepting the change.

That seems a fair way to go about it however, I think the idea of a warning system to let leader and party know after starting the first boss seems more solid. Why I say that is because is your idea about it being unanimous or if more then X amount of players agree? If it's X amount of people are his friends/ clan members then it still can go one way.

4 minutes ago, KiraKatsumi said:

That seems a fair way to go about it however, I think the idea of a warning system to let leader and party know after starting the first boss seems more solid. Why I say that is because is your idea about it being unanimous or if more then X amount of players agree? If it's X amount of people are his friends/ clan members then it still can go one way.

Those solutions can come together and not each by its own, so its possible to add in 2 of them to further reduce the probabily of the system being abused.

What you said is true if they decide to make it a majority vote where if 4 players vote "yes" then the vote will pass. That's why I suggested it to be 5 or 6 players to vote "yes" for the vote to pass, as there is less chance of having a party with 5 friends/guild members and 1 random.

Regardless, a visible warning for party members about the changes in distribution method should show up. Thank you for that input xD

15 minutes ago, Burniing said:

It should also be made so that the loot system goes back to default (if the party leader have changed the loot system before) when the leader invites other players.

Didn't think of that xD

Imo that should only apply in the case of a vote, as in other cases its irrelevant, and only if the party loses the majority. 

I.e: If you need 5 players for the vote to pass and 1 player leaves, the vote shouldn't reverse. However, if 2 players leave you lost the majority and therefore the vote should reverse.

It can become pretty annoying sometimes but I thinl it might be for the best.

16 minutes ago, rocdog said:

Loot should be fixed for F8 dungeons.  No changes.  That way, loot settings would be known by all.

That's the "easy way out".

It will certainly make the Ninja Loot disappear from the game, but on the other hand it will block players from using a function in the game.

"Legit" players shouldn't get "punished" and being blocked from using a function of the game because other players abused it before.

my 2 cents:

For cross server, specify loot options when specifying what dungeon's you're interested in.  You'll only match with people using the same loot options.  No ability to change it once matched. 

(Oh, and change the default from FFA to round robin.  Currently the ranged folks are almost always getting shafted, as nobody bothers changing it, and odds are they're too far away to grab anything before the melees do)

20 hours ago, MeowMeoow said:

That's the "easy way out".

It will certainly make the Ninja Loot disappear from the game, but on the other hand it will block players from using a function in the game.

"Legit" players shouldn't get "punished" and being blocked from using a function of the game because other players abused it before.

Just gonna say it's not really getting punished if it's a cross server run. 

You're matched up with randoms mostly in Cross Server so there's really no need for it to be adjustable, you all get yer fair share and the ninja looters have no choice but to join the auction themselves. You can play with friends and you can all do the auction and just let the person that needs the item the most win an auction. There's no real need for the loot system to be adjusted in cross server. At least from my experience so far, I've not seen a need for it to be adjustable. 

I'm wondering why Master Loot even exists. How did KR, CH, JP, and TW use and handle Master Loot? Were they okay with party leaders taking the loot? I know they wouldn't do something like switch to Master Loot just before the end of a run. I just want to know how the other countries used Master Loot, if they used it at all.

Since Master Loot is more a bane than a benefit here, maybe that option should be completely removed in this Western version.

This just happened to me and is a real issue and honestly I don't know how something like this manages to stay in after the game has been out for 3 or so years in another region? I don't get it. It's a random group, master looter isn't needed. Remove the option to set it. If you make the group with just people from your server than maybe it's "fine" 

Tera uses a combination of options 1 and 3. For option 3 in Tera, the entire party must agree to the change. Tera non-speedrun parties will usually change loot distribution to class only at the start of the dungeon and not move forward until everyone agrees : ).

Played bright stone ruins and the party leader changed to Master loot 2 sec before chest drop. NINJA
This should not be possible at all. she took all the loot and ALSO the Merry Potter Secret.

That person was:
Name: Madonna
Server: Windrest

Things like this should not be possible at all. Please fix
If not im gonna start ninja cause there is no dignity in this game as it is now.

the only true solution its to not have master loot, its easier, dont have to program any stuff.

This is why :

1.- Master loot is shit

2.-This game doesnt need this mechanic at all

3.-Its only purpose its to ninja loot

4.-We should all use it to ninja loot to make game devs change it as fast as posible

16 minutes ago, Kisanamoto said:

the only true solution its to not have master loot, its easier, dont have to program any stuff.

This is why :

1.- Master loot is shit

2.-This game doesnt need this mechanic at all

3.-Its only purpose its to ninja loot

4.-We should all use it to ninja loot to make game devs change it as fast as posible

I'd actually like to see someone (even if just playing devil's advocate) justify why master looter EXISTS

1 hour ago, Eckin said:

I'd actually like to see someone (even if just playing devil's advocate) justify why master looter EXISTS

It has its own use. For example, if you have a newbie clanmate (like a RL friend) whom you want to gear up (when everyone else's gear is way past his/her gears) and want him/her to get all loots for crafting or selling.

It's just some people frequently misuse/abuse it here, and it might have been spreading because some mimic it when they experience it themselves...

Eastern players don't seem to have much trouble with the feature -- and they have the feature for years now. Well, Eastern culture has a stronger affinity to the concept of honor.

As people have stated, the easy fix is to make loot settings locked in cross-server. Only make them changeable in preformed parties. Don't know why they have not implemented this yet. And yes to the round robin thing. I see melee all the time standing there just waiting to gobble up loot that drops. Ranged get shafted unless they run up to mobs before they die.

Did NCSoft get rid of all their (competent) coders?  Their cashshop all works just fine and dandy but stuff like this?  They brag how they have NCSoft in 3 Continents and can get things done fast, I do not see that.  Only cash shop things   $$$!   

Archived