I need to know if Summoner tank nerf was intentional.

LittleBubbles

It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, but summoner taunt was changed from a threat over time to a one time skill which is a huge nerf. Can we get an official word on if this is a bug, or how it is meant to be?

The taunt effect is 8 seconds while the cooldown is 12. Those 4 seconds at the end was always dicey in the past, but you could rely on the cat holding threat for the 8 seconds if 2 conditions were true.

1) The mob was in range of the cat. (Taunt can miss if its out of range)
2) The cat wasn't hit with hard cc. (Getting knocked down, stunned, etc, lowers threat significantly. This is true for everyone)

I hit REALLY hard, I have a true siren weapon and I know the class well and if I was going all out its normal for me to steal threat in the 4 second widow where taunt was no longer in effect but was still on cooldown. If I wanted I could just go easy those 4 seconds and cat would hold hate. 100% of the time.

Now if I am going all out the cat won't hold threat for more than a second, and sometimes it doesn't hold threat at all. Best I can tell is that the cat gains a small amount of threat when you hit Q, and that is all it will ever get. It no longer generates threat over 8 seconds.

SMN went from being able to use the cat to primary tank to only being able to use it to emergency tank. This is a HUGE change and something that should have been mentioned n the patch notes so I hope it is a bug that will be fixed?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed the Taunt being off when I'd use it, mob would initially run towards cat, but since my burst is pretty high, he'd run back to me while still in range of the taunt, while taunt was still happening. If our cat can't tank the mobs anymore, whats the point in building a tanky cat? You might as well be shoving a *cricket* in Summoner's ass because that kills about 80% of our PvE power.

I think the lack of tanking ability on the cat now is a game breaker for me, whatever about nerfing damage, but what use is a cat/pet that cannot hold aggro and is going down too fast?? it is useless and might as well be an aesthetic pet. Also agree, why was the MAJOR nerf to doom and gloom healing not in the patch notes? its not a small difference, its 99% worse than it was!

Still hoping this is a bug, but scouting for new class if not.

Incredibile nerf -and does not show up in the patch notes AT all indeed.The cat can't hold aggro more then 2 seconds even if it shows its ''tanking'' in fact its not doing anything else then crouch down while the mob continously hits the summoner .What its the point we got the nerfed dmg from rumbebees ,longer cd on the uppercut and basically exposing summoner to threat ? If this its a bug should be fixed asap -i consider it as bug since does not appear in the patch notes,assuming it was not intentional.Untill this will have an official explanation ,i will never buy subscription as i feel deeply cheated .I hope WE do get an answer for such ! Unpleasant experience ,game has lots of lag ,unfinished content and now some unknown ''features ''. I see the OP classes are getting even more boosted while my enjoyment here its basically over .GG BnS ,i don't feel as investing more !

Makes me really not want to play my summoner right now, tbh. Soloing anything at this point is a struggle when the cat doesn't hold aggro for more than a couple of seconds at most. There's no point in even having a tank stance or an aggro talent if it's not meant to ever hold threat.

Was really looking forward to Mushin's. Couldn't defeat Junghado tonight after multiple attempts and multiple builds. 80% of the time I was running from the boss and trying to get him to aggro back onto my cat, and he wouldn't on any attempt after the first crouch. Can't really beat the timer in damage if I'm having to run the whole time because we don't have multiple short CD dodges like other classes.

I don't even want to know how painful the 4 blue dungeons will be now since 98% of parties expected summoners to tank even if 4 BMs or KFMs were in the party. Here's to hoping it's a bug. :\

1 hour ago, AmbivalentCat said:

Makes me really not want to play my summoner right now, tbh. Soloing anything at this point is a struggle when the cat doesn't hold aggro for more than a couple of seconds at most. There's no point in even having a tank stance or an aggro talent if it's not meant to ever hold threat.

Was really looking forward to Mushin's. Couldn't defeat Junghado tonight after multiple attempts and multiple builds. 80% of the time I was running from the boss and trying to get him to aggro back onto my cat, and he wouldn't on any attempt after the first crouch. Can't really beat the timer in damage if I'm having to run the whole time because we don't have multiple short CD dodges like other classes.

I don't even want to know how painful the 4 blue dungeons will be now since 98% of parties expected summoners to tank even if 4 BMs or KFMs were in the party. Here's to hoping it's a bug. :\

I beat the 7f and.... It wasn't ANY fun. Lots of running around, trying to let the cat tank and using Seed Shroud. It can be done, but the cat is just an add. I can do it without him, because the only purpose was to perform CC's.

Did the monkey dungeon and after the first boss, I just ran luring the monkeys (those are monkeys? Oo), pressed "Q", RMB, RMB, 1, F.... The result: Died.

The cat can't even taunt;

The Doom n Bloom can't heal anymore. It heals the same for single target and AOE.......

I knew something was out of whack while I was clearing Mushin Tower for the first time. Pulling aggro at some point in a fight is nothing foreign to me, but still having it two taunts and several counters later seems like it has to be broken. I was able to finish F7 a total of 3 times that I tried but literally the only way I could get aggro back on Kitty was to eat an intentional KO and spam taunt during Chi Recovery.

The issue was even more apparent in Brightstone. As before, the cat could keep initial aggro on the second boss and its four adds. This keeps me safe from the 3-hit ranged KO from boss if Petal Storm etc are on CD. Once the first Squad Leader spawned though I fully realized that there was some undocumented monkey business going on and that I was not imagining a gimped taunt or getting resisted in the new content.

Either way, stealth nerfs are unacceptable and as a paying customer I feel as though there should be either an amended patch notes released for this and all other ninja changes or some acknowledgement that Taunt is bugged since patch.

I played a pet class (with a tank pet) for years in another game which influenced my choice to run a Summoner main. Tonight I felt like I was playing something halfway between Summoner and FM.

WHAT ON EARTH!

I agree with all the posts above.
C'mon NCSoft. Summoners are pretty soft, our strenght is on our CAT and HEAL. You've nerfed some of the damage and CD practically reducing our DPS.
And now you want us to on-tank mobs. We don't have mobility like the others. CAT is supposed to be the one getting the damage T.T

IF it was reduced time effectivity or increased CD on crouch, much acceptable, but not being taunted even if the CAT is on crouch. OH men.
I am useful on epic dungeons bec of my cat and heal. c'mon now!!

I think this is still an opportunity to utilize the cat for support. like chi regen and joint boss cc (plant bomb). and extra dps. 

mobs shud go down pretty easy with sunflower. u can manage chi well enuff if you adjust ur skills and u can evade out of dmg with 4 or iframes. 

WE did enjoyed the summoner as others played it for years : cat taunting ,summoner using it for dps/cc/tank.summy by itself without a decent tank its pretty much useless ,has not enough dodges ,blocks ,etc,heals ,taunt and generally summoner deffense its heavely nerfed .i came here to play a game not to struggle 5 h in Mushin Tower without being able to take last boss down -NO dis its not called fun and prolly many of summoners will agree with me .ninja changes and too many bugs will end to a pretty dead game very soon (watch Wildstar atm) so devs ,watch out and listen to your custommers -while you HAVE them !

Archived