cat tank nerfed

DarkSkyBunny

• NCSOFT

Greetings,

After further investigation regarding the changes to Summoner abilities, Babbletr0n has provided an update:

59 minutes ago, Babbletr0n said:

The changes to the Summoner abilities Doom 'n' Gloom and Crouching Tiger were indeed intended and were omitted from the patch notes unintentionally.  Sorry for any confusion this may have caused, but the abilities are working as intended.

We will be sure to update the Patch Notes and Known Issues list to reflect these changes. We truly apologize for the confusion.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Rukkirii said:

Greetings,

After further investigation regarding the changes to Summoner abilities, Babbletr0n has provided an update:

We will be sure to update the Patch Notes and Known Issues list to reflect these changes. We truly apologize for the confusion.

Appreciate the update.  What purpose does the tank pet build serve if the pet itself doesn't generate any threat (agro) from the taunt mechanism?   It just becomes an escape method for 8 seconds with no threat generation on the pet's part.  I would think that the pet would generate some threat or agro for that 8 seconds.  Making the taunt a viable option.   Yes, you can pull agro from the pet.   I just think the pet should be able to hold the agro if you are managing your threat.  Right now, it doesn't feel that way at all.

It almost seems like the cat is completely wiped from the aggro table after the 8 seconds. I can literally just auto-attack for those 8 seconds and the boss will jump to me right after. I'd understand if I was hitting Overflow and spamming free Sunflowers or something, but auto-attacks really shouldn't pull more aggro than 8 seconds of taunting.

I don't mind that they tried to fix it; even if it was after 3.5 years of it being the same. It just feels like the "fix" is still broken.

So to understand well ,NCSOFT wants us to play with a cat that taunts randomly and also randomly keeps aggro.Why the skills haven't been translated in the Martial Tome and what exactly means ''intended'' -i don't understand how the skills should work now ? WHEN the cat TAUNTS and HOLDS aggro and in what conditions?.Also the response i got from the support team was the issue its been investigated .Are you tricking us even more with this now? It was or it was not an issue and why you are cheating your custommers effectively with a lie like that? Ok,no sub from me anymore ,your game its full of lag,bugs,intentional or untintentional confusions ,bad translations,RNG and gold sellers.I been quitted Wildstar for less reasons ,your company won't really get my wallet opened ever again....Dissapointed!

Ive NEVER used the cat taunt because I like my focus more. You weak ass summoners and your need to let you little kitty hold your hand is just sad. Time your dandelion and literally if you wait the entire dandelion (AND YOUR 1 GETS RECHARGED) you can dandelion again in 1 SECOND. But i guess anything that gets in the way of #ezmodenoskillsupersunflowerfordayz is gonna be a bad day for you. Soloing mobs and dungeons CAN be a challenge on summoner and it should be, instead of this hand holding baby nonsense.

5 hours ago, Tatsu said:

It almost seems like the cat is completely wiped from the aggro table after the 8 seconds. I can literally just auto-attack for those 8 seconds and the boss will jump to me right after. I'd understand if I was hitting Overflow and spamming free Sunflowers or something, but auto-attacks really shouldn't pull more aggro than 8 seconds of taunting.

I don't mind that they tried to fix it; even if it was after 3.5 years of it being the same. It just feels like the "fix" is still broken.

Taunt doesn't generate aggro. It's a force target swap during its duration. In fact I would say this isn't considered a nerf, more like a fix. Cat used to keep aggro for a couple of seconds (Q having a 3 seconds cd after it ends) after taunt ended, being permanently tanked and cat taking 0 damage.
You can still make cat tank somewhat viable if you use your cooldowns properly. When taunt ends, root your target (6 seconds while Q would have 3 seconds to be reactivated), after 2nd Q and root being on cooldown, seed shroud boss' next attack and it will go back to your cat, which can use Q again. Then proceed to use root and repeat the process.

I've been managing just fine, I just thought that taunting would generate aggro. Taunts have generated aggro in every other game I have played so I figured it would be the same case here (and for the year or so I played on JP it felt that way too). I feel they should make it more clear that taunting does not build aggro, only forces target swap. If the taunt is not supposed to generate aggro then I suppose it really is "working as intended."

On 2/18/2016 at 7:52 PM, Rukkirii said:

Greetings,

Thanks for the update.

I also hope for the future, we can start seeing skill patches in the correct order, and nothing omitted from patch notes, so that they don't botch up players in game from completing content as intended. 

As for it being changed:

I've been managing, however I find the class less fun, and to have a much lesser role in dungeons overall. :/

3 minutes ago, Mishi said:

Thanks for the update.

I also hope for the future, we can start seeing skill patches in the correct order, and nothing omitted from patch notes, so that they don't botch up players in game from completing content as intended. 

As for it being changed:

I've been managing, however I find the class less fun, and to have a much lesser role in dungeons overall. :/

Summoner cats were never supposed to be main tanks in dungeons anyways.

1 hour ago, Zakaru said:

Summoner cats were never supposed to be main tanks in dungeons anyways.

I never stated Sumoner cats were to be main tanks. 

Thank you for the known information though. ^.~

All I stated was the class seems to have less of a role in dungeons. (Which is fine, however it makes things a bit boring now.)

After watching videos coming from the Korean and Chinese servers their pets still can hold aggro. There are times that I can shove my cat up a boss's rump with taunt and it doesn't matter. Sometimes it works for 8 seconds, most of the time it doesn't work at all. It's best to just not depend on cat crouch at all. 

o.O Cat taunt shouldn't be ruining dungeons for you. I've been in enough dungeons to know that most of the "tank" classes prefer their damage builds over tanking. If the force master or summoner has aggro, telling the summoner NOT to use their pet to taunt is like asking tanks to do their jobs. Most pretend they don't understand English. 

o.O Cat taunt shouldn't be ruining dungeons for you. I've been in enough dungeons to know that most of the "tank" classes prefer their damage builds over tanking. If the force master or summoner has aggro, telling the summoner NOT to use their pet to taunt is like asking tanks to do their jobs. Most pretend they don't understand English. 

Not completely sure if it's related but I recall hearing that they nerfed the cat taunt to something like 5 seconds in Korea awhile ago. The whole reason they nerfed it is mostly because they didn't want summoners acting as substitute tanks in dungeons. They did buff their damage output in exchange though...

I don't use my cat anymore to tank any kind of boss in dungeons -i use it only for my own surviability and as support mostly .Observation: most of groups i been with still expected the cat to tank (eg the Hae Mujin's shadow).No way -i will not tank anymore a damn thing- if group its wiping -try again ,not my prob anymore .Asked support also for the E skill (recall cat) because its not working even if i am in range of cat ,i presume its the lag .Guess if they will reduce the time the cat tanks ( when tanks and thats a bit of a lottery),with the lag that all of us experiencing groups will have still a lot of troubles in dungeons .So go ahead ,yell more about let's nerf summoners even more etc ,its your group that will get the problems in later game content if somehow,the summoner will be in .Good luck with that ,haters.

Archived