Forums

People spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the RNG boxes?? Why..????

Gamerchick

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a couple stacks because I liked the items, can always use upgrade materials and stones, also ended up getting that butt ugly costume which I would happily give away if I could. Also I have this thing called a "job" I know most lil MMO kiddies don't, the $40 or whatever I've spent is hardly breaking my bank.

2 hours ago, Gamerchick said:

I get maybe spending a couple hundred off the bat if you have that kind of cash to spend on this game, I am guilty myself.  But these RNG boxes that have practically a non-existant drop rate for some of the items, it just seems insane to spend maybe your rent money, your grocery money, or money for actual "real world" items you can actually make use of in real life, than on digital content that you might not ever get.

To be honest, I'd argue spending a couple hundred off the bat, even if you have that kind of cash to spend on the game, is shooting yourself in the foot, and there's only 1 explanation for doing that.  I believe somebody else already posted that explanation.

2 hours ago, Lurkios said:

Simple.

People are stupid.

RNG boxes are, as far as I've seen, the absolutely least consumer friendly concept in modern MMORPG's.  Spending *any* amount of money on them is simply encouraging the devs/publishers to continue the practice at all of our expenses.  AND, we have the power to change that.  If we simply don't buy them, they go away.

2 minutes ago, GnatB said:

RNG boxes are, as far as I've seen, the absolutely least consumer friendly concept in modern MMORPG's.  Spending *any* amount of money on them is simply encouraging the devs/publishers to continue the practice at all of our expenses.  AND, we have the power to change that.  If we simply don't buy them, they go away.

They dont have to go away. They can just stay there till thy kingdom come. Like those chips from last night waiting for u in the microwave after u come home from gym....there...just tempting you.

1 hour ago, Selene said:

why? well

1. rich people.

2. addiction Lol. (ik that feeling cuz of AA... lmao RIP Pegasus)

3. their life, they can do w/e they want.

Gotta agree with this altho many pple just refuse to believe there are super rich pple, anyone that isnt on par with their own spenditure = stupid, is their thinking which is sorta... twisted i guess.

I personally dont mind the boxes but half the things are kind of useless as their past the level usage of some people.

17 minutes ago, LagunaL8 said:

Gotta agree with this altho many pple just refuse to believe there are super rich pple, anyone that isnt on par with their own spenditure = stupid, is their thinking which is sorta... twisted i guess.

I personally dont mind the boxes but half the things are kind of useless as their past the level usage of some people.

I believe there are super rich people.  Typically though, most of them got rich by being smart.  Encouraging gotcha's isn't smart.

Granted, there are also trust fund babies/etc. who have money and are probably dumb as stumps.

5 minutes ago, GnatB said:

I believe there are super rich people.  Typically though, most of them got rich by being smart.  Encouraging gotcha's isn't smart.

Granted, there are also trust fund babies/etc. who have money and are probably dumb as stumps.

Id rather 'dumb' rich people than poor 'jerks' x,x

1 hour ago, UnitedStrafes said:

Bought a couple stacks because I liked the items, can always use upgrade materials and stones, also ended up getting that butt ugly costume which I would happily give away if I could. Also I have this thing called a "job" I know most lil MMO kiddies don't, the $40 or whatever I've spent is hardly breaking my bank.

Time is a precious, finite thing, and if you believe you have worth, then your time has value.  The time you spend playing Blade & Soul could easily be spent playing other games, games with better combat systems, games with better stories, games with better social aspects.  Maybe even time spent actually enriching your life in other ways.

Your money is also valuable.  At $12 - $15, the going price for a single costume that is locked to a single character, you could purchase entire AAA games,  Right now, with the same money, you can purchase Fallout: New Vegas Game of the Year edition.  Which is the better value?  Hundreds of hours of gameplay, with an engrossing story and deep character roleplaying or a pile of pixels?

And that's just one of the alternative possibilities at GOING price.  Look, we all know cash shop RNG boxes equates to gambling, a system tailored to make individuals grossly overpay.  And furthermore, we all know if you're buying those cash shop RNG boxes, you're looking to score big.  Honestly?  I wouldn't be surprised if the drop rate for the costume was less than 1%.  That's just par for course.  So ask yourself, "what can I get for $100?"

Too many individuals focus only on the price tag itself.  Instead, we should always consider opportunity cost to inform our decisions.

When a game maliciously wastes your time or wastes your money, that is disrespect.  Plain and simple.

To children, time and money may appear infinite, but to adults, both have great value.  Developers and publishers need to treat their players with the dignity and respect we deserve.  Perhaps certain individuals perceive themselves and their time having no value, and are more than willing to roll over.  That is how we got Activision.

4 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Time is a precious, finite thing, and if you believe you have worth, then your time has value.  The time you spend playing Blade & Soul could easily be spent playing other games, games with better combat systems, games with better stories, games with better social aspects.  Maybe even time spent actually enriching your life in other ways.

Your money is also valuable.  At $12 - $15, the going price for a single costume that is locked to a single character, you could purchase entire AAA games,  Right now, with the same money, you can purchase Fallout: New Vegas Game of the Year edition.  Which is the better value?  Hundreds of hours of gameplay, with an engrossing story and deep character roleplaying or a pile of pixels?

And that's just one of the alternative possibilities at GOING price.  Look, we all know cash shop RNG boxes equates to gambling, a system tailored to make individuals grossly overpay.  And furthermore, we all know if you're buying those cash shop RNG boxes, you're looking to score big.  Honestly?  I wouldn't be surprised if the drop rate for the costume was less than 1%.  That's just par for course.  So ask yourself, "what can I get for $100?"

Too many individuals focus only on the price tag itself.  Instead, we should always consider opportunity cost to inform our decisions.

When a game maliciously wastes your time or wastes your money, that is disrespect.  Plain and simple.

To children, time and money may appear infinite, but to adults, both have great value.  Developers and publishers need to treat their players with the dignity and respect we deserve.  Perhaps certain individuals perceive themselves and their time having no value, and are more than willing to roll over.  That is how we got Activision.

they're both a waste >.> box or fallout

it just depends on what your own value is and to be careful not to expect others to have the same as yours.

$12-15? spend and save on your work related expenses for a tax return, not a game.

But that would be a very stupid logic to push to people that are looking toward their personal entertainment.

This is illegal in some countries.. like china at least..

One of the PWE games, that is a major RNG box cash sink in the US, dont have this boxes in their Chinnese counter parts cash shops because is against the law there.. instead, they charge you 10-20 times more for the mount or the fashion straight out of the cash shop, which in most cases is cheaper than actually getting it from an RNG box in the US version lol

Just now, KingOFmambo said:

This is illegal in some countries.. like china at least..

One of the PWE games, that is a major RNG box cash sink in the US, dont have this boxes in their Chinnese counter parts cash shops because is against the law there.. instead, they charge you 10-20 times more for the mount or the fashion straight out of the cash shop, which in most cases is cheaper than actually getting it from an RNG box in the US version lol

I am surprised IT isn't illegal HERE considering gambling IS a known addiction .. 

Hopefully NCSoft doesn't find itself in law suits due to creating a gambling addiction in a player

2 minutes ago, Kensho1996 said:

I am surprised IT isn't illegal HERE considering gambling IS a known addiction .. 

Hopefully NCSoft doesn't find itself in law suits due to creating a gambling addiction in a player

Isn't that more the player's responsibility than NCSOFT's?

Accountability... our generation needs it.

3 minutes ago, Kensho1996 said:

yea, im not sure how exactly is the law in China.

They still have RNG boxes there but they get them as ingame prizes, not sold for cash

6 minutes ago, Sync said:

Isn't that more the player's responsibility than NCSOFT's?

Accountability... our generation needs it.

LoL I agree BUT the lawyers have made accountability NON existent and there is always a lawyer WILLING to try anything to make a buck (I think i prefer criminals as they feel more honest than lawyers ;)  )

Why do people question why people spend money on stuff? I spend a lot of money on games. I have it to spend. I could just as easily spend it on blow, hookers, and scratch-offs, but I am not the type to use drugs or pay for sex, not to mention my significant other would kill me anyways, and I only buy a Powerball ticket if it gets over 100mil. It's a personal choice. Just sigh, shake your head, whatever, and move along.

1 minute ago, Kensho1996 said:

LoL I agree BUT the lawyers have made accountability NON existent and there is always a lawyer WILLING to try anything to make a buck (I think i prefer criminals as they feel more honest than lawyers ;)  )

Touché.

Questioning someone for buying RNG boxes would be like if someone questioned you for the many things you do during your day.

It's their money, their own business. If they have extra money and want to spend it on a game, so be it.

Should be happy that they are actually spending it on this game.

Spending money on the game = keeping it free for others.

Unless you want it to be Pay2play. Which I honestly wouldn't mind.

be gratefull :)

If no1 spent money, there would be no game.

Personally, everyone who tells me im wasting money, i ask them "Where do you spend your money on?", most of the time, i'll get anwsers like, clothes, partying, car etc. Well, for me, those things arent amusing... Also, people tend to think that $1 for them is equal to $1 for me. A large portion of the player base is very young, they don't have a job/steady job and such. In my case, i earn a full time salary a day on good days :). Spending a few hundred on some RNG boxes just amuses me. Bet this goes for more people.. We are the cash cows that keep these F2P games running

The only thing wrong with the RNG box is that the outfit cannot be traded (at least from what people have said).  If they are having fun opening the boxes just let them be, and its not harming them.  At the end of the day spending 2000 dollars on BnS is no different than spending 2000 dollars at Disney World.

Well some posters here mentioned lawsuits for gaming addiction and I just googled and I guess some people who do get addicted to games and spend all their money on them compulsively have had a few wins against certain MMO gaming companies: http://www.cnet.com/news/gaming-addict-in-win-over-video-game-lawyers/

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/21/lawsuit-over-fallout-4-addiction/

http://www.wired.com/2010/08/lineage11-addiction/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/video-game-addiction/

I spent 20$ for 11 boxes, biggest regret of my life. Don't spend money on this boxes guys, you are better of buying gold from bots. I would have gotten around 50+ times the value by spending those 20$ in a 3rd party. At least wait for the nccoin to ing currency to come, this boxes are not worth it. At least reduce the price 4 times, 150 nccoin for 1 box is a scam.

Archived