Enforced PvP not attractive.

Afocks

Yet they make some kinda pretty, pretty world with pretty, pretty characters and pretty, pretty costumes.

That's core game design that attracts PvE players.

Conflicting design philosophies there champ.

As far as I'm concerned, OP is in his right.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Glint said:

So just because a game is flashy = pve?

Wtf kind of logic is that. Where do you people come from jesus

The kinda world where peeps went into uni and got learned.

PvP doesn't need pretty, pretty shit.  That is bullshit that removes resources from making the core game better, gets in the way and drops frames.  Utilitarian and functional, none of this unnecessary fluffy bullshit.  Look at Dirty Bomb.  Chunky outlines, easy colours.  I can identify the entire opposition team's class breakdown from across the map and know what every one of them is about in 100 ms.

You don't devote so much resources into pretty, pretty shit without the intent to attract PvE players.

I am the guy that reads PvP spreadsheets and shits all over lobbies.

You don't know Ncsoft well. If it brings them a buck they'll put it out there. Does not mean they will obligate themselves to a crowd that they have zero intention of actually catering to. You must be new to this company.

Also, that's still fked up logic. Telling me that as time goes on and graphics power increases that games are not SUPPOSED to look better and better?... Welcome to Post Processing?

Aion had an advanced engine that ran Post Processing graphics...

If somehow people are confusing BnS with Fallout 4, I don't know what to tell them other than it is their own fault for thinking something as stupid as that.

I really think some of you guys need to chill out, stop taking things personally or trying to put words into my mouth.

I am not knocking the game. The environment is great, combat is brilliant, 'most' of the community seems agreeable and there is much potential for it.

For me [PERSONALLY] having progression behind PvP and forcing players into it is a block. My friends feel the same way. I like the game enough to offer feedback on the issue. Evidently it resonates with other members of the community too.

The game was never marketed as a PvP centric game.

10 minutes ago, Glint said:

You don't know Ncsoft well. If it brings them a buck they'll put it out there. Does not mean they will obligate themselves to a crowd that they have zero intention of actually catering to. You must be new to this company.

Also, that's still fked up logic. Telling me that as time goes on and graphics power increases that games are not SUPPOSED to look better and better?... Welcome to Post Processing?

You don't know game design well.

Look at the concept art.  This kinda pretty, pretty shit was core to the game from the start.  You don't devote those kinda resources for pretty to cater only to PvP.  And if you did?  Well, you *cricket*ed up hard cause that's wasted time and money.

There are peeps who run already graphically mediocre games like Dirty Bomb on the lowest settings to squeeze out TEN more FPS from 180 FPS to 190 FPS from a GTX 980 Ti.

Look at the differences:

latest?cb=20110425093611 vs. summonerpets.jpg

1 minute ago, Meerkat said:

You don't know game design well.

Look at the concept art.  This kinda pretty, pretty shit was core to the game from the start.  You don't devote those kinda resources for pretty to cater only to PvP.  And if you did?  Well, you *cricket*ed up hard cause that's wasted time and money.

There are peeps who run already graphically mediocre games like Dirty Bomb on the lowest settings to squeeze out TEN more FPS from 180 FPS to 190 FPS from a GTX 980 Ti.

Look at the differences:

latest?cb=20110425093611 vs. summonerpets.jpg

Are you seriously running with this?

Like, the way games look don't develop over time regardless of their core mechanic? I suppose when CoD 17 comes out and it has true to life visuals it will be classified as a PvE game.

It's your own fault for thinking such silly things.

As a fellow pve'er, I understand what you're saying. Although, I never felt obligated to get the pvp piercing bonus, and I'm still enjoying the pve aspect a lot. For the people saying it's a pvp centered game, you have to realize that an mmo CAN'T be pvp centered, as mmo's are not capable of proper pvp. An mmo has to be primarily pve, or it has failed.

10 minutes ago, Glint said:

Are you seriously running with this?

Like, the way games look don't develop over time regardless of their core mechanic? I suppose when CoD 17 comes out and it has true to life visuals it will be classified as a PvE game.

It's your own fault for thinking such silly things.

Oh yeah, because generic, white, beef cake army guy in Condor MOLLE battle rattle, NVG's and ceramics with a LaRue marksman M4 chambered in 6.8 x 43 mm is gonna appeal to fantasy RPG players.

If it's PvP focused, why have all that extra bullshit like quests and equipment and dungeons and mobs.  That's middle management bullshit that just gets in the way of PvP.  Kid, believe me, I know what PvP is about, and Blade & Soul's design isn't.

8 minutes ago, Moggie said:

As a fellow pve'er, I understand what you're saying. Although, I never felt obligated to get the pvp piercing bonus, and I'm still enjoying the pve aspect a lot. For the people saying it's a pvp centered game, you have to realize that an mmo CAN'T be pvp centered, as mmo's are not capable of proper pvp. An mmo has to be primarily pve, or it has failed.

DAOC would like to have a word with you .

5 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Oh yeah, because generic, white, beef cake army guy in Condor MOLLE battle rattle, NVG's and ceramics with a Stag Arms marksman M4 is gonna appeal to fantasy RPG players.

If it's PvP focused, why have all that extra bullshit like quests and equipment and dungeons and mobs.  That's middleman bullshit that just gets in the way of PvP.

You've answered your own questions so many times man. There is PvE to attract pve-idiots to spend more money on overpriced crap. The more player base they can rake in the more $$$$. Aion had the same crap on their forums; pvers whining about forced PvP.

Ya, they added a level-cap fast track, but guess what, once they out leveled it they went right back to whining about being forced to pvp.

The PvPers, some were forced to pve to upgrade gear, but a lot of us didn't care and found ways around it. Even then, PvE was a breeze to 90% of the PvP crowd anyway because we weren't mentally handicapped (not to be rude, sorry if it offends anyone). Half the time the "Pve" specific crowd weren't even smart/good/geared enough to consistently farm the hardest end game instances anyway...

Ncsoft is about $$$. Not catering to a pve crowd. You're going to end up facing PvP, all the time, all day at the end of the day. That's how faction v faction is intended... Why pick up a game where to races/factions are pitted against each other and expect it to be pve orientated?.... This is not blizzard. It's not WoW. I don't know why everyone uses it as some sort of staple to define what is or isn't a game and worse yet try to use how the game LOOKS as an item of debate?....

I don't have problem with your feedback or your decision. But you have to realize that your... I don't know, tone or expression or layout or whatever we should call it.. seems very defensive and negative.

It's not about "hey, I thought nfs was a fighting game, turned out it was a racing game, lol, I went to another game", that would be perfectly fine and everybody would probably have a few jokes about it or maybe the would discuss whether nfs has other elements or whatever.

But you pretty much went like it's the game's fault for being blade and soul and not something else. Like you have been deceived somehow by the company not EXPLICITLY telling you EVERY ASPECT OF THE GAME.

That is just too entitled for me at least. And you are saying that the tone of your post isn't like that but sorry, it doesn't sound too convincing. I really mean this, I am not being cynical or anything. The whole "vein" of this thread does seem like that, to be honest.

Also, my second gripe would be the actual point of this thread. Not because I think everybody should love PvP (I don't exactly pvp here, maybe that will change, maybe not), but because it's a very 50/50 chance aspect of the game. For one. I mean, you don't have to advertise it or not in order for it to "legitimately" be there.

Two, it's hardly forced. I know of an exactly ONE pvp quest (disregarding arena ones). And that is "kill 10 players". Others are pve quests in pvp uniform.

Three. Uniforms. There is a RIDICULOUS control over owpvp that a player has, here in bns. I mean, utterly ridiculous. You can literally not put the faction uniform and you can stand in front of a thousand people from other faction and they couldn't target you, like, mechanically. If you get killed while in your faction outfit, you can opt to RESURRECT WITH NO FACTION OUTFIT ON (!). I mean, that's as far as one can get with giving the player the control over something that one shouldn't have control over in the first place (as the owpvp is the simulation of a "rl" guerrilla unfair skirmishing). There are myriad tools that allow you to control something like that. Channel change? Checked. Even something as "out of game" as that is there in your arsenal.

All of this added (uniform flagging, pve nature of quests - quests being like "kill those npc's", gather crystal etc, channel changing, resurrecting with neutral outfit etc) makes for a very mild, forgiving and, if you choose so, very pvp-less game. Even pvp quests aren't pvp.

About the "it wasn't advertised" - ok, this is a personal experience, but I would be interested to hear why is your experience different, because everybody I know that waited for this game, had the same picture as me. I imagined A LOT MORE pvp-focused game than what I got eventually. I've read so much about the combat system, watched youtube videos, streams, EVERYTHING about this game was yelling "NO RESTRICTIONS OWPVP AND ARENA, WE DON'T CARE ABOUT NO DUNGEONS AND MOBS". And what I've seen from those videos and the like, only reinforced that - corridored areas, loading screens, a lot of instanced content, street fighter-like lauded combat, arena, esport (!) etc.

And well, in the end, it was a pretty regular MMORPG with dungeons, areas, marketplace, groups, guilds etc - and ok, with streamlined professions - but that's it. Awesome combat system and a pretty much standard MMO recipe. And ON TOP OF THAT - on top of that - we got outfit flagging, resing with "3", faction quests that are pve in nature etc.

And then you go "forced pvp". H... how?

I am sitting at lvl45 and all I did was occasional arena pvp for the sake of it. I have a full moonwater soul shield set and I haven't done any owpvp whatsoever - I have been jumped by other faction players maybe like five times total while doing dailies - and that's it. And if they are persistent or numerous, I switch channels or do poharan or whatever. And I play like an hour a day or so. I really, REALLY, can't see this pvp wall you are talking about. I did the "kill 10 players" quest maybe once, spontaneously, while doing other things. I am not in a clan, so I pug when it comes to faction dailies, so that's not a quest I am able of doing consistently - unless I opt for hunting players around, which I am lazy to do at the moment - so I don't do it. For the rest of the quests - it's pretty much pve all around the clock.

5 minutes ago, Glint said:

It's not WoW.

I've been ganked to logging out for hours in wow, you don't have the luxury of taking off your alliance/horde outfit and go "hi guise, where's the 43rd street?" all of a sudden. You couldn't even communicate with the opposite faction:)

If this is what NCSoft calls an MMO focused game, it's doing a pretty terrible job at both executing and advertising it. It also means that they wasted resources creating tons of lackluster PvE content on top of a glorified MOBA.

Even worse, if the entire game absolutely depends on faction vs faction combat, then isn't PvP completely dead in the water? countless threads have already pointed out that the only active faction across multiple servers is Cerulean, and I personally haven't seen a Crimson in weeks. Faction chat is dead too due to bot presence and trolls.

You're basically saying that the parts BnS excels at are also its biggest failures, and that's not very encouraging.

18 minutes ago, Glint said:

It's not WoW. I don't know why everyone uses it as some sort of staple to define what is or isn't a game and worse yet try to use how the game LOOKS as an item of debate?....

Herp derp, I believe wikipedia 100%.  If I drink milk, my bones get stronger!  It even says so on the back of the carton.  Something about calcium...

10 minutes ago, Anjon said:

If this is what NCSoft calls an MMO focused game, it's doing a pretty terrible job at both executing and advertising it. It also means that they wasted resources creating tons of lackluster PvE content on top of a glorified MOBA.

Even worse, if the entire game absolutely depends on faction vs faction combat, then isn't PvP completely dead in the water? countless threads have already pointed out that the only active faction across multiple servers is Cerulean, and I personally haven't seen a Crimson in weeks. Faction chat is dead too due to bot presence and trolls.

You're basically saying that the parts BnS excels at are also its biggest failures, and that's not very encouraging.

That is actually 100% what I'm saying.

Aion was unbalanced forever. Almost every server was heavily Elyos dominated for years with the exception of one server and eventually Siel Asmodians stood up and balanced out their server, for most of the time. It wasn't until they added mechanics for Upper Abyss forts to be flipped more consistently did things start to even out.

Ncsoft has a rep for this.

Just now, Meerkat said:

Herp derp, I believe wikipedia 100%.  If I drink milk, my bones get stronger!  It even says so on the back of the carton.  Something about calcium.

Milk makes you fat.

Are you fat?

1 hour ago, Afocks said:

We have a guild of mainly PvE'ers who dislike participating in PvP.

With this in mind and the game putting progression behind a PvP wall we have decided to move to another game.

We have been enjoying the PvE game very much and are disappointed to discover that much of the end game and guild progression is only achievable by engaging in PvP.

Our wallets go with us.

Regards

Honestly, this needs to be remedied immediately. PvPers get all the benefits. Just because they have to spend hours/days/months PvE'ing their way to max level, skills, and gear to have a truly fair and fun shot at PvP doesn't mean the end game should be tainted with PvP elements. This is totally unacceptable, especially for a free game that we don't pay for; it should be exactly the way we desire and have in mind for an MMO and that means pure PvE content while leveling AND the end game without any PvP. This is how it should be because no one in my group of friends I can count on two hands likes PvP despite the millions of people around the world playing this game and the popular esports following. 

So yes, I agree with OP, we should all walk away from this disappointment of a game; I actually hear Hello Kitty Adventure 2 is coming out, and that has no PvP content to ruin the game.

Just now, Relevantex said:

Honestly, this needs to be remedied immediately. PvPers get all the benefits. Just because they have to spend hours/days/months PvE'ing their way to max level, skills, and gear to have a truly fair and fun shot at PvP doesn't mean the end game should be tainted with PvP elements. This is totally unacceptable, especially for a free game that we don't pay for; it should be exactly the way we desire and have in mind for an MMO and that means pure PvE content while leveling AND the end game without any PvP. This is how it should be because no one in my group of friends I can count on two hands likes PvP despite the millions of people around the world playing this game and the popular esports following. 

So yes, I agree with OP, we should all walk away from this disappointment of a game; I actually hear Hello Kitty Adventure 2 is coming out, and that has no PvP content to ruin the game.

You are my hero lmfao.

I haven't even gotten to how huge of an e-sport following this game has yet.

Archived