Is Roleplay a Thing Around Here?

Alaistar

Just now, kittenesse said:

I guess I feel uncomfortable with the idea of 'lolitas'. you ever read the book? That book will make you so uncomfortable in a heartbeat. You're reading it like, lalalala, this is great writing... wait what... what is he... no.

I have never read the book o.o Didn't know there was one. I like playing loli guys, it's adorbs. Though I don't play them for the reasons guys might play giant stacked characters. xD

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before launch the Jiwan server was declared to be the unofficial RP server by the RP community.  Unbeknownst to the majority of people on Jiwan, the Brazilians also declared it as the unofficial Brazil server.  That in itself wasn't a problem; but, once released - faction, region etc chat became a spamming mess of English and Portuguese (which in itself is fine) but a verbal war of sorts took over in open chat.  Was rather ugly at times.  So said all that to say Jiwan was supposed to be where we all gathered.  I've since moved to another server and see no open roleplay :(. 

1 minute ago, Shautru said:

Before launch the Jiwan server was declared to be the unofficial RP server by the RP community.  Unbeknownst to the majority of people on Jiwan, the Brazilians also declared it as the unofficial Brazil server.  That in itself wasn't a problem; but, once released - faction, region etc chat became a spamming mess of English and Portuguese (which in itself is fine) but a verbal war of sorts took over in open chat.  Was rather ugly at times.  So said all that to say Jiwan was supposed to be where we all gathered.  I've since moved to another server and see no open roleplay :(. 

Interesting. o.o Well if chur interested in trying it out with a game-rp amateur, I'd be up for it. Though I'm from Master Hong, dunno which server you moved to, eheh.

90% sure the Blade & Soul roddit organized an unofficial RP server.  Don't know what became of that, but without enforcement by NCSoft, I really can't see it going well since RP players tend to be targets of vicious mockery.  I remember I was just walking around town in Destiny once because why not, and I got a PM calling me a RP *cricket*.  I of course replied something to the effect of, "Eat a bag of dicks."

So NCSoft should totally create a RP server or two.  Like tomorrow.  I don't do the RP, but I can totally respect wanting that level of immersion.  Moreover, even if pretty poorly implemented, Blade & Soul does offer a kinda unique eastern fantasy world ( for western audiences anyway ) for RP'ers to do their thing in.

And give those South Americans their own server as well.

The world in Blade & Soul is honestly one of my bigger gripes with the game.  There's nothing at all out there.  Just mobs to stab or burn or kitty beckon to death and occasional vistas to enjoy.  There aren't any kinda secret spots with treasure chests or lore books or anything at all like in Rift.  There aren't world events like in Destiny, or also Rift.  There is absolutely zero point in exploring.  Literally, the entire world may as well be palette swapped farms where we go and kill the pigs at the troughs or whatev for loot and exp.  In ways, it's pretty typical of those outdated Korean mmopergers, but nonetheless, it's still a wasted opportunity.

Same! I knew Jiwan was being pushed to be the unofficial rp server but I also knew the Brazilian players were going to go in-masse over there and I could see the confusion that would eventually cause... Needless to say, 1 server being the unofficial server of 2 different things was a bad idea and because of that, I have a feeling the community was scattered because of it...

I am still interested in RP if anyone is looking on Poharan!

Jiwan is still the unofficial RP server..I am in a PVP / RP guild on it right now.  As to the BR, yes, they tried to claim Jiwan as theirs..but seem to have moved to another as far as I can tell.

Either that, or they are part of the authoritarian jack booted bad guys known as the Cerulean Order.... ^_-

14 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

90% sure the Blade & Soul roddit organized an unofficial RP server.  Don't know what became of that, but without enforcement by NCSoft, I really can't see it going well since RP players tend to be targets of vicious mockery.  I remember I was just walking around town in Destiny once because why not, and I got a PM calling me a RP *cricket*.  I of course replied something to the effect of, "Eat a bag of dicks."

So NCSoft should totally create a RP server or two.  Like tomorrow.  I don't do the RP, but I can totally respect wanting that level of immersion.  Moreover, even if pretty poorly implemented, Blade & Soul does offer a kinda unique eastern fantasy world ( for western audiences anyway ) for RP'ers to do their thing in.

And give those South Americans their own server as well.

The world in Blade & Soul is honestly one of my bigger gripes with the game.  It's just so empty.  There's nothing at all out there.  Just mobs to kill and occasional vistas to enjoy.  There aren't any kinda secret spots to find with treasure chests or lore books or something like in Rift.  There aren't world events like in Destiny, or also Rift.  There is absolutely zero point in exploring.  In ways, it's pretty typical of those outdated Korean mmopergers, but nonetheless, it's still a wasted opportunity.

It is. I'd honestly run around the world a lot more, but considering the majority of the many, many mobs are aggressive and I'm rather delicate, I tend not to. Which is unfortunate because it really is a beautiful game, and with all the movement abilities, it'd be seriously fun to run around and explore. 

9 minutes ago, Alaistar said:

It is. I'd honestly run around the world a lot more, but considering the majority of the many, many mobs are aggressive and I'm rather delicate, I tend not to. Which is unfortunate because it really is a beautiful game, and with all the movement abilities, it'd be seriously fun to run around and explore. 

I'm only lvl.26 or whatev, but as far as I can tell, you're not missing much.  There's literally nothing out there.  There aren't even like... unique, named mobs or something with rare loots or whatev.  Does Blade & Soul even have lore?

When I play mmopergers, I tend to lean toward the PvE side.  I absolutely wreck faces in FPS, but that's why I play FPS games.  I have difficulties taking mmoperger PvP seriously because mmopergers tend to do a shitty job of it.  Like seriously?  Forty abilities?  That's just retarded, excessive mechanical difficulty of whether I can even hit those keys.

Just now, Meerkat said:

I'm only lvl.26 or whatev, but as far as I can tell, you're not missing much.  There's literally nothing out there.  There aren't even like... unique, named mobs or something with rare loots or whatev.  Does Blade & Soul even have lore?

It gets a loooot more beautiful late level. Especially in the Lycandi map. You'll see~. And I'm not sure, I don't think there's much lore if any. Which I honestly don't care about unless it effects where I can go and maps and stuff, since I've never been into lore too much.

1 minute ago, kittenesse said:

Lore is really for people who want to RP, it helps them get deep into character. Kind of like a D&D board game, you know, people create their own lore, their own maps, etc.

Huh, I suppose I wouldn't know. I've never tried D&D. I haven't gotten the chance. xD Nor have I when it comes to in game rp in general, hehe.

18 minutes ago, kittenesse said:

Lore is really for people who want to RP, it helps them get deep into character. Kind of like a D&D board game, you know, people create their own lore, their own maps, etc.

Nah, RP isn't too huge for me.  Depends on the game, but under the Bartle dichotomy, I tend to fall under the player killer / griefer and achiever category.  However, having a cohesive world is pretty important to me.  I like knowing that a lot of effort was put into crafting the world I'm participating in, and if I have downtime, it's fun to read and get into.

Like I said, I totally respect dudes that just want to go into their own corner and RP.  If I know some peeps are RP'ers, I won't PK them for shits and giggles.  Part of why we game is to experience different things, and they have a right to that as much as I do.  Basic respect.

29 minutes ago, kittenesse said:

Actually, if you've ever played Aion or something like EVE online, they have some amazing lore. EVE online actually has novels out on their lore ._.

There are like a million games with great lore.  Fallout series.  Elder Scrolls series.  Mass Effect.  Dragon Age.  Witcher.  Homeworld.  StarCraft.  WarCraft ( until WoW shit on it apparently ).  Destiny.  Just like... all the games.  Every game.

Even completely PvP focused, super high skill gap games like Streetfighter and Dirty Bomb have lore.

Even Call of Duty has lore.

Even Call of Duty has lore, man.

3 hours ago, Trinket said:

I put on my robe and wizard hat.

I think "bloodninja" would be a more fitting outfit in this game : )

So on a more on-topic question: is there any RP going on on Starfall Crater?

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of players who 'RP' in terms of PvP. Especially those who are low-leveled, or casual players. If you hang around Jadestone Village, you'll eventually see some blue vs red action. If the low-leveled player keeps dying, and you say "just take off your uniform", he'll reply with the epic bullshit like "My brother died wearing this outfit, this is a symbol of my pride and whatever the blah". 

13 minutes ago, OrianeArtemios said:

So... Did you guys ever establish a roleplay community? Please say yes... If so, let me know! ^_^

What is there even to roleplay as?  Like I don't know how roleplay works, but I imagine you want some kind of established lore to start from, but there isn't much lore in Blade & Soul?  Or I guess that lack of established lore gives you more wiggle room to operate in?  But Blade & Soul has seriously weak lore.

4 minutes ago, Senzura said:

I dont understand RP'ing like what exactly do people do :o 

I don't really know, but I think the general gist includes:

Playing the game through a created persona, but like fo' real.  The persona must be defined via characteristics ( female, tall, lascivious ) and background story ( father was a soldier who was killed by bandits ) that is cohesive with the lore of the game.  Your actions and goals while playing that persona must be cohesive with your background story, and when possible, motivated by the background story.  And in your roleplaying community, you'd all play in a way cohesive to your community's goals.  Like you wouldn't refer to each other as anything but the persona name, and possibly have established roles like being the blacksmith or something.

This is what I've gathered from watching a few D&D sessions on Gametrailers ( which is hilarious ) and Escapist ( which prominently features a pleasant young lady named Sasha Grey who is well known from her other... exploits ).

On February 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM, ryrich said:

I miss the fully choreographed dance commands that Cabal had. (/dance2 would have the player dance to the entire song of "Tell Me" by the Wonder Girls xD)

Being an originally Korean game, I'm surprised BnS doesn't have this hahaha. 

link if interested

Lynns have "Starlight Moonlight" by Secret !! Yuns have references to a popular old korean dance called "Adult Ceremony" or "Coming of Age Ceremony"

There's also parodies by bns dancing to Secret's Shy Boy and Girls Generation having a song for BnS specifically 

Apparently Jiwan is the unofficial RP server and I have seen a few guilds advertising as having RP events. I have on occasion seen people sat around the lake at Jadestone or in the pub there although I tend to not hang around in one place for long personally.

Archived