asmariya

BnS: A graphic intensive game or processing intensive?

asmariya   

Hi everyone, I currently bought some new computer parts and am still experiencing massive frame drops when encountering too many players. While I know its normal for frames to drop with more action, I feel like my frame rate is dropping too much. Normally, when there's only a few people around or I'm just questing, I get 70-90 frames, but if I do anything such as a dungeon or even farming Pinchy, where there are more than a few people, my frame rate plummets to 10-15 frames. I just bought an AMD R9 390, and from what I've learned, it should be a graphics card way more than enough to support Blade and Soul. My processor on the otherhand is an AMD fx 8350 8 core processor. A few friends of mine have an i-5 with a graphics card lower than mine and they lowest frames they drop too with the same settings/number of people is about 40 frames. This had me wondering if I need a pretty strong processor to get optimal frames in this game? Spare me the AMD sucks, Intel is the best. I know lol And depending on the feedback I get, I'm planning to buy an i-7 4790k, but my gpu will stay the same (AMD R9 390). Can anyone give me any advice, input or their specs and their frame rates while in action combat with other people? I don't have any issues normally questing or in zones where there aren't many people, its only when there's parties or groups of people that it happens. I already tried overclocking my gpu, and I got better frames overall, but it still plummets to 10 while with parties or groups. Thanks for any of your time. :) 

2 hours ago, asmariya said:

Hi everyone, I currently bought some new computer parts and am still experiencing massive frame drops when encountering too many players. While I know its normal for frames to drop with more action, I feel like my frame rate is dropping too much. Normally, when there's only a few people around or I'm just questing, I get 70-90 frames, but if I do anything such as a dungeon or even farming Pinchy, where there are more than a few people, my frame rate plummets to 10-15 frames. I just bought an AMD R9 390, and from what I've learned, it should be a graphics card way more than enough to support Blade and Soul. My processor on the otherhand is an AMD fx 8350 8 core processor. A few friends of mine have an i-5 with a graphics card lower than mine and they lowest frames they drop too with the same settings/number of people is about 40 frames. This had me wondering if I need a pretty strong processor to get optimal frames in this game? Spare me the AMD sucks, Intel is the best. I know lol And depending on the feedback I get, I'm planning to buy an i-7 4790k, but my gpu will stay the same (AMD R9 390). Can anyone give me any advice, input or their specs and their frame rates while in action combat with other people? I don't have any issues normally questing or in zones where there aren't many people, its only when there's parties or groups of people that it happens. I already tried overclocking my gpu, and I got better frames overall, but it still plummets to 10 while with parties or groups. Thanks for any of your time. :) 

This game is CPU intensive, it doesnt care about your gpu. And moreover, this game only utilize 1 core of your processor. So it doesn't matter whether you have an octacore or decacore, it will only use 1 core. BnS would have been much better for everybody regardless of AMD or Intel if it uses all cores. And now, AMD single core performance is really bad, I meant it is really *cricket*ing bad. So go for an i7 4 cores 8 threads because Intel Single core performance is way way better and you'll experience a high fps even at blackwyrm. i7 4790k is more than enough for this actually. 

Edited by Farrangis

HMint   

Well, if the number of cores don't matter, then an i5 would be just as good.

The only difference between i5 and i7 is hyperthreading on each core on the i7 afaik.

Olivar   

definitely CPU intensive.

My Graphics card is asleep when playing this game.

And an i5 is definitely enough to run this game.

Close all your applications. Dont make the computer compute anything else. Just the BnS. -free up the core from computing anything else
ctrl+alt+del+end process tree all of your background apps that are not necessary. -there are apps that auto updates some eat up ram/cpu usage.
Max all the options that has "viewing distance" at the end. -to avoid chunk load stutter.
Go to window mode on your BnS graphic settings,then just use the alt+enter shortcut command to go to fullscreen. -wonderful trick for unreal engine and dx9
ctrl+alt+del set priority for BnS client for cpu and ram usage. -if not yet set
make sure all drivers are up to date. -if not yet

Ambition   

tbh it doesnt matter what setup you have i5-4690 with gtx 970 and i still have garbage FPS, you either get lucky or you don't..

HMint   

I have pretty decent fps (ie. playable) even in bigger crowds. I got an i5 + GTX970, and I agree that the GPU does not seem to matter much. Most of the quality sliders don't seem to have any effect on fps.

What do helps for me though is:

1. Tick the 'optimize for combat' option in advanced graphics settings. This will mainly remove all shadows and dynamic lightning and up my fps from <10 to about 30fps in big crowded fights.

2. If that's not enough: CTRL+F  to remove all players from sight. This is good when fighting world bosses, Poharan/24 and such. It also helps a lot, because you can actually see what the boss is doing and the attack patterns on the ground, so you can dodge their attacks easier.

Edited by HMint

Reaper00   

Well, don't know about these other people, but I usually run HWmonitor on a separate screen while I'm playing and for me the game is definitely GPU intensive. My CPU probably gets to 40% utilisation max and does use all cores and threads. I have an i7 6700K CPU and an AMD R9 295X2 graphics card (using the latest AMD drivers). For most solo or six man dungeons my frame rate is maxed out at 120fps and for world boss type stuff with lots of players around I usually drop to 60 to 70 fps. I do have all settings on max but I do use the optimise for combat option as mentioned above.

Another thing that does help is ensuring you are running in proper full screen mode and not the borderless one that the game seems to switch to sometimes. You can do this by pressing ALT+ENTER on the keyboard. This actually does make a noticeable difference  

nawrot   

I have 120+ fps, with occasional drop to 100. And yes unreal engine is quite CPU intensive esp in areas with lots of players. Also fact that GPU has almost nothing to do is result of great unreal graphics optimization. They (Epic) could not optimize game code, well nobody can optimize MMO game code. When game needs to load hundreds of different player models, nothing can be optimized. You all want character customization (which means everybody has different model), low fps in pvp or world bosses is price for this. Do not expect miracles, crowded areas in mmos cannot be optimized, be happy it all does not look like Tera endgame.

Sadly the only thing that will make your PC run this game better is to remove multitask pressure on your cores. AMD is a poor performance CPU concerning single core tasks. The best you can do is download Razer Cortex, it works even if you don't have Razor product. It will close all programs that are not related to your game and are not important to your computer's core. Another trick you can do is to overclock your processor's core. If your AMD can't handle overclocking, I would suggest you downclock your core and only overclock two cores. This will reduce game performance for games that uses your full CPU but will greatly increase the performance of single core games such as BnS/Aion.

For example I overclocked my i7 4770k 3.5 to 4.4 for core 1 and 2 and the rest I left at 4.2. Don't do this if you don't have any knowledge of overclocking but it is the best way to improve your performance.

Other tools that could help you would be to switch to windows10 as it is a much lighter system and to reduce the stress of loading multiple items for your CPU such as using lower graphics when encountering high density of mobs or players. Old games like these are very stressful to your computer, it is not advised to run them at full capacity if you're looking for performance.

Yamyatos   

An Nvidia performance index of 60 or above is enough to play this game decently. Everything above an 660 Ti should do you fine, it's not that graphics intensive (a bit more power needed for later areas since they are better made). Not so sure if i'd recommend amd stuff, people are reporting problems with amd AND with the nvidia 9xx series.

Also, you might get into trouble if you use windows 8 or 10 since most people who report insane problems are then later telling us that they have either of those.

A good cpu is kinda needed, you *dont* need an i7 tho! The only difference between i5 and i7 is hyperthreading, which only helps with stuff that utilizes parallelism, which is not the case for games in general and most mmorpgs only use one or two cores for their main calculations. You will need a cpu with a good performance per core tho (meaning high ghz). If you get an i5 and turn the clock boost to 42 (=4.2ghz) in bios you should be good.

Talking about high settings of course, but only for general gameplay and not extreme scenarios.

Doesnt matter how good your system is, you WILL NOT have good fps in large fights no matter your hardware. The game uses an old engine that's not well optimized and basically 99% of players will fight blackwyrm on combat optimized settings on about 25-35fps or so. 

Oh and sorry for the bad grammar, i didnt really have time to double check what i wrote right now ^^

asmariya   

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm thinking of investing in an i-7 4790k. I mainly plan to play Blade and Soul, but I also want to *maybe* give Black Desert a try as well. I understand that in high populated fights, I will drop frames, that's normal, but 25-35 frames is WAY better than getting 10 frames lol. I tried ticking the optimize combat button for dungeons, and it gave me about a 20 frame boost leaving me at about 40-60 frames. I also tried it with Pinchy, but I would still drop to about 20 frames with about 8-9 people there. I am going to try out Blade and Soul on a friend's laptop that has an i-7 and an good nvidia card, if the frames are dramatically different, I think I will go ahead and buy an i7 4790k. :) Thanks again! 

Edited by asmariya

Relott   

I play in 4K with a single GTX 970 and an i5 6600k and my frames are good even though there isn't much to show for it on screen. Dips below 30 in really intensive fights. Usually stays around 45-60.

Riktar85   

I'm on an and apu 5800 with a 970 and run the game just fine.. even have videos on youtube.... yes I can record while playing it on that weaksauce processor

asmariya   
16 minutes ago, Riktar85 said:

I'm on an and apu 5800 with a 970 and run the game just fine.. even have videos on youtube.... yes I can record while playing it on that weaksauce processor

Run the game just fine, meaning? I can run the game just fine at 70-90 frames while in combat alone, but add a party of people, I drop to 10 frames. What are your frames like?

Edited by asmariya

Riktar85   
2 minutes ago, asmariya said:

Run the game just fine, meaning? I can run the game just fine at 70-90 frames while in combat alone, but add a party of people, I drop to 10 frames. What are your frames like?

Debatable if it's entire zone I chug... 10-20 I'm still above 30. I can see that a i5 or i7 would be of great benefit in things like BW raids.

asmariya   
Just now, Riktar85 said:

Debatable if it's entire zone I chug... 10-20 I'm still above 30. I can see that a i5 or i7 would be of great benefit in things like BW raids.

Yea, not trolling or anything, but above 30 isn't exactly what I see as fine when running a game >.<  I'm looking for 70-100 frames when there's not much going on, which I have, and at least 25-40 when in intensive/populated combat. I have the 70-100 frames when there's normal stuff going on, I'm just dropping to 10 when it gets intensive. Which is why I'm looking for an i7 lol 

Riktar85   

It's your dime not trying to talk you out of it by any means. I stating that I'm fine where I'm at, and gave you an idea of what system I'm on

Also would point out you may want to do some research as certain games that don't multithread have a ceiling for fps. Not familiar with unreal engine, I know hero has this downfall

Edited by Riktar85

Glint   
7 hours ago, Ambition said:

tbh it doesnt matter what setup you have i5-4690 with gtx 970 and i still have garbage FPS, you either get lucky or you don't..

I'm running an FX 8350 and a GTX 970. I can guarantee you probably see better FPS than I do by 5 - 10 frames.

Asuka   

directed at WoT but hey, it kinda fits here:)

ezgif-2248175692.gif

Edited by Asuka