Forums

Trolled on a bid for a miscelaneous item

Arlend

Hello guys, 

As many of you may know this game has a stupid bidding system for the items that drop in a dungeon for the players of the party you're in. Surely most of you have been affected by trolls using this system or at least have heard about a friend who lost a certain amount of gold due to a bidding troll during an item acution. The truth is that this nonsensical system is a great opportunity for trolls and all sorts of toxic players to cause great unfairly losses to others. I don't know if there are other topics with this same issue, but I wanted to share my great dissapointment on this part of the game, and try to raise awareness of this problems. 

I'm still a newbie, I've just raised two characters to lvl 28 and 26 recently, but I'm very used to the mechanics of the game in PVE. So here's my case: 

We were bidding for the last boss items at the end of Blackram Narrows.  I started a bid for 3 Blight Fang, by 3-5 coppers. The other party members withdrawn from the acution, and only 2 of us were bidding. Missing 2 seconds to end the other player raised disproportionately the bid to 1 gold and a few coppers (almost all the money I managed to earn since I've started playing the game).The change was so fast that I had no time to see what had happened, until I couldn't do anything. I tryied to leave the dungeon before the bid ended, but it was too late. The humiliation and the helplessness I felt after that leaved me stunned and unfortunaly I wans't able to think of taking any screenshot or even memorizing the name of the character that pissed me off that much. Immediately after I wrote a ticket here, trying to explain exactly the same that I'm telling you here, but I feel it will not do much without having any screenshot or names of the other party members we were. 

Honestly I feel very bad about this and I have taken down the desire to continue playing the game, which was surpring so far, and  I was having a lot of fun wit it, but yet its community has put in more than signs of toxicity from the beginning.... 

For that reason, I decided to share this with you so that you can tell me what is your opinion about the bidding system and it issues. Also, is there any chance to be heard by NCsoft and have a proper response to this? For me, this is really annoying, cause it's not only the currency of the game I've unfairlily lost by an unscrupulous person, but  what I really felt there is that my time and dedication to the game was being screwed by a troll perfectly qualified by the game's mechanics to do this kind of crap.

EDIT: As I told you, I knew that NCsoft couldn't do anything about my lost without any names or screenshots. This was their response to me:

" Hello,
I understand that you would like to have your the gold returned to you.
Unfortunately, game support does not have the option to grant your request
I hope you understand that support currently have no way of restoring the gold used for purchasing the said item from an auction.
Thank you for your understanding. If you have any further questions and concerns, please let us know.
Regards,

Jennylyn
NCSOFT Support Team"

The gold is not the real problem for me here, the real problem is the game mechanic that allows other players to troll and tease other players so easily... I know that every MMORPG needs some "goldremoving" mechanics to avoid the in game currency's deflation, but this is just ridiculous. Couldn't they just have ad a RNG roll system (based on need and greed) as every other game in the world have? 

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I experienced something similar, i was bidding for a weapon, it was for my class, and i was the only one with that class in the party. Someone else started to bid for it for no reason in my opinion, as the item would have been bound to the character, and he would have had no use for it, other than use it for an offering, and it doesn't make sense to pay for it. He bid twice, and then he just left, not too much, that's true, so my loss was far from yours, but still. It gave me the impression that he just did it so I get the weapon for more money than I should. I do think the system is sometimes used for fun just to hurt people and annoy them, but what can you do? I think it's just a small thing in the big picture, and I think the game is very nicely done overall. No matter how many things might get modified to, let's say, suit the community better, there will still be people that will do anything they can to ruin your play. Pay a lot of attention before you click bid and always check the price in the Marketplace for the item that you want, so that you won't end up with a loss. I know the community can lower your morale sometimes, but just take it as a lesson to pay lots of attention and keep going, you will get plenty of chances as you level to earn a good bit of money, so don't get discouraged. I was desperate before to get some money to be able to afford the things I want or to upgrade weapons, but in the end, I managed to do it all just by simply enjoying the game and let the gameplay follow it's course. Don't get discouraged by this, keep playing, you will get more money and I'm sure you will even meet some people you will enjoy playing the game with.

you don't pay attention, it's your own fault

you get a portion of that gold too. 1g from something from blackram narrows ? that means you get 20s. thats huge for that level. it's a good income for you.

the bid system is awesome. it makes those that win something pay the rest of the group that help him thru the dungeon to get that item

with a traditional roll dice system, a very lucky guy can get away with all item in a run, and a very unlucky guy can get NOTHING in 10 runs !!!

so yeah, you don't pay attention. it's you own fault. should've stopped bidding when you see the 1g bid from the other player.

25 minutes ago, chinmi said:

you don't pay attention, it's your own fault

you get a portion of that gold too. 1g from something from blackram narrows ? that means you get 20s. thats huge for that level. it's a good income for you.

the bid system is awesome. it makes those that win something pay the rest of the group that help him thru the dungeon to get that item

with a traditional roll dice system, a very lucky guy can get away with all item in a run, and a very unlucky guy can get NOTHING in 10 runs !!!

so yeah, you don't pay attention. it's you own fault. should've stopped bidding when you see the 1g bid from the other player.

The problem is that there should be like a cooldown for bidding, that if someone bids you can't bid for 1 second.

Here's what happens.

Say: current bid: 10 copper.

Player 1: Raises to 1 gold.

During the same second, just a little bit later player 2 clicks bid too.

Bidder 2 will bid for 1 gold + x without having that intention.

9 hours ago, Maharani said:

I'm really sorry this happened to you. I experienced something similar, i was bidding for a weapon, it was for my class, and i was the only one with that class in the party. Someone else started to bid for it for no reason in my opinion, as the item would have been bound to the character, and he would have had no use for it, other than use it for an offering, and it doesn't make sense to pay for it. He bid twice, and then he just left, not too much, that's true, so my loss was far from yours, but still. It gave me the impression that he just did it so I get the weapon for more money than I should. I do think the system is sometimes used for fun just to hurt people and annoy them, but what can you do? I think it's just a small thing in the big picture, and I think the game is very nicely done overall. No matter how many things might get modified to, let's say, suit the community better, there will still be people that will do anything they can to ruin your play. Pay a lot of attention before you click bid and always check the price in the Marketplace for the item that you want, so that you won't end up with a loss. I know the community can lower your morale sometimes, but just take it as a lesson to pay lots of attention and keep going, you will get plenty of chances as you level to earn a good bit of money, so don't get discouraged. I was desperate before to get some money to be able to afford the things I want or to upgrade weapons, but in the end, I managed to do it all just by simply enjoying the game and let the gameplay follow it's course. Don't get discouraged by this, keep playing, you will get more money and I'm sure you will even meet some people you will enjoy playing the game with.

Thanks you very much for your support mate I really apreciate it.  You're right, maybe I was being a little exaggerated about throwing the game because of that, but there's a little amount of small things of the community that were pissing me over and over and yesterday I exploded with that troll... I'm still willing to see the game's story which is what I like most, and then we'll see...

@Masqava thanks you very much for posting, you explained very well what's the real problem: I was paying attention, but if they learn how to increase the bid just by the second the other player is going to bid, they got the deal. That was a master cheater. 

I've seen a couple videos and coments on youtube about this issue, and it seems that NCsoft is not giving af about this problem, so we are forced to take over it. I hope I find a good guild for doing dungeons and assure a fair gameplay. 

Thanks you for you feed back guys. Also I was making this post not only to complain, but for any of you guys with the same problem to come here and tell, so maybe we could make awareness about it and have a chance that Ncsoft read us.... 

1 minute ago, Absinthe said:

lel, I've had this too. Best way to avoid it is to only do dungeons with guild mates.

Tho it'd be nice if there was something preventing this from happening, like an increased delay, if someone raises the bid a lot

Yea, I think that should solve the problem a bit. And it isn't a difficult option to put. They should do that. Also remove the the fact that the party leader can change loot system always even in combat... That's awful. 

Everytime there is a new bid, the bidding time will be refreshed.

If you overbid unintentionally, you have plenty of time to leave the party and exit the dungeon. In which case your bid is cancelled. In the case that your bid wins, but you left - the auction will fail, and the item(s) will be offered for auction again in the end.

There needs to be a way for Class Specific items to only be biddable on by those of that Class, this would lower the amount of people who place "Troll" bids on items they can't use, allowing those who can, only to bid on it.

IF there is no one of that items "Class" then it will be offered up as a freebie for anyone to bid on, for those who are going to use it for an offering, ect.

Yeah it´s a good idea, that class-specific items only are offered to the players of that specific class.

Whether recipes should be the same, is a different matter.

There should optimally also be a 2 second cooldown on new bids, whenever the last bid increases by more than 50% of last bids amount. (if it doesn´t double, it would be better to leave it without cooldown).

well the fact that multiple people have fallen for this, confirms there's not enough time to leave dungeon to cancel the bid and isn't really the best option, since you will lose out on the rest of the items.

I tried running out asap just as well as op, but there's the moment to realize what just happened and the dialogue to get your dynamic quest reward, which all adds up.

just sayin

tl:dr

The first few lines explained it for me. I had a Destroyer troll me for a cat item. I was lucky though, I gave up and they spent a couple of gold on something he can't use. 

This bidding system does need to be adjusted, or the cross server dungeons will die in the arse because people will be afraid to pug and will stick to Clan runs.

16 minutes ago, Victorion said:

Whenever your dungeon boss dies:

1) complete your quests.

2) bid for items, using the the number input system, rather than the suggested minimum amount.

problem solved.

I don't really understand your second rule dude, can you explain it a little? :P

Yes, we really need a class specific loot option and a cd for those who increase bids on the last second. I see that's not a big deal, I don't know why they didn't check tha out after so many years the game being live in other regions. Also I agree that end-game crosserver dungeons will fall in favor of guild runs, in order to avoid trolls... 

It's just a shame that the "class" of people are dropping in game these days. I've never had any trouble in pug groups re loot distribution in any of the games I've really played (Aion mainly). The only problem I've really had in pug groups are communication issues; which is true across all games I've played.

24 minutes ago, Arlend said:

I don't really understand your second rule dude, can you explain it a little? :P

Yes, we really need a class specific loot option and a cd for those who increase bids on the last second. I see that's not a big deal, I don't know why they didn't check tha out after so many years the game being live in other regions. Also I agree that end-game crosserver dungeons will fall in favor of guild runs, in order to avoid trolls... 

There´s a bid button, that automaticcally  bids the minimum, to exceed the last offer. Using that button is the result of unintended bids.

Instead of that, you can input a specific amount, if you input a specific amount and the some other player just made a higher bid, you´ll get an error message that states your bid needs to be a minimum x amount. You can adjust your bid again, and you didn´t make an unintentional bid.

Since every new bid, renews the bidding time, you don´t have to worry about running out of time to bid either.

4 minutes ago, Victorion said:

There´s a bid button, that automaticcally  bids the minimum, to exceed the last offer. Using that button is the result of unintended bids.

Instead of that, you can input a specific amount, if you input a specific amount and the some other player just made a higher bid, you´ll get an error message that states your bid needs to be a minimum x amount. You can adjust your bid again, and you didn´t make an unintentional bid.

Since every new bid, renews the bidding time, you don´t have to worry about running out of time to bid either.

Ooh I see. I should do that whenever I'm interested in bidding, then. Thanks you! 

14 hours ago, Arlend said:

We were bidding for the last boss items at the end of Blackram Narrows.  I started a bid for 3 Blight Fang, by 3-5 coppers. The other party members withdrawn from the acution, and only 2 of us were bidding. Missing 2 seconds to end the other player raised disproportionately the bid to 1 gold and a few coppers (almost all the money I managed to earn since I've started playing the game).The change was so fast that I had no time to see what had happened, until I couldn't do anything. I tryied to leave the dungeon before the bid ended, but it was too late. 

ok so you were the only 2 people bidding. and you were spamming the bid button like crazy? you said he bid 1gold and you didnt notice? im sorry but thats completely your own fault. i can understand this happening when there are 3-6 ppl bidding for an item at the start when bids go really fast and someone snipes a really high bid in to screw someone over.. but if that happens when there are 2 of you and he bids 1 gold its your own fault you were spamming the bid button so fast you got "scammed" take this as a good lesson and pay attention when bids are going on (if you saw his 1g bid and instantly pressed N (stop bidding)) he would be the one that was *cricket*ed over and you would laugh at his misfortune :)

Well I guess you learned a lesson the hard way. Always pay attention to what you're clicking. It was your decision and your responsibility - why should support fix it for you? 

If you can't take the learning experience in stride and quit the game over it, are you really so naive as to think players won't try to take advantage of you in some other game? 

1 hour ago, Phelix said:

There needs to be a way for Class Specific items to only be biddable on by those of that Class, this would lower the amount of people who place "Troll" bids on items they can't use, allowing those who can, only to bid on it.

IF there is no one of that items "Class" then it will be offered up as a freebie for anyone to bid on, for those who are going to use it for an offering, ect.

how else would you bid on items that people who sucked at the dungeon needed. or people who were afk the whole dungeon and they just bid on their class weapon at the end. there as to be a way to screw them over.

I learned my lesson the hard way as well. Bidded on a blue ring so I could use it as an upgrade. Yeah didn't realize the party leader had all bids starting at 1g until like way later in the dungeon and I didn't have to option to bid on anything else until someone pointed out that I didn't have to gold after showing a screenshot and that's when I realized I got screwed over.

It sucks, it happens. Just have to be more aware of what you're bidding on. But I do agree they should add a 1 second delay or something in between bids so people don't accidentally bid something they didn't want to. 

Personally I really don't like the bidding system at all. Yeah it's a good way to make some extra gold if something drops and you don't want it but other than that? I like the classic roll system a lot more and locking it to if you can actually use it or not when it comes to gear.

While i totally agree the system is really bad, it's up to the bidder to not blindly press the button and check how high the bid is gone. It's not that you have only half second to bid again, you have over 10 seconds. If you press bid without check the amount, it also is your mistake

6 minutes ago, madafaka420 said:

how else would you bid on items that people who sucked at the dungeon needed. or people who were afk the whole dungeon and they just bid on their class weapon at the end. there as to be a way to screw them over.

I don't know, be the bigger better more mature person, and let it go, it's just a game?

And maybe make the things you can bid on, contribution based, so people who have AFK'd the whole time, or not really done much at all, can't bid, or something, so both sides win, the people who can use the item are the only ones who can bid, and the ones who just leached, can't?

Archived