Game-Server Latency Issue Report Thread

Extent

Did not have much time to play but when I did I monitored via the task managet ressources monitor.

It did not give me a feeling stuff improved.

Last Live stream on twitch (the one they announce the warlock) in the Q and A they said something that basically ticked me of.

We the user should provided more info about it....

Wait how Traceroutes (for me at least) are impossible, why you may ask.

Well after 9 hops I get request time out.

I can not ping any of the IP address (request time out) that show up in the ressources monitor.

So I can not in any way diagnose the problem, because the route my connection takes to get to the servers is after 9 hops a black hole.

The black hole is after et-5-0-0.gw8.fft4.alter.net.... 

With not enough information I can not kick my ISP, and I have to say the 9 hops (2 are in my own network) are good to perfect.

So the ISp will go ROFLMAO and say sorry after that hop it's not our problem anymore.

So as long as NCsoft does not give us the means to help by unhiding the IP addresses so we can trace the route.

The problem just stays, for the EU and NA.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Silverwolvie said:

o I can not in any way diagnose the problem, because the route my connection takes to get to the servers is after 9 hops a black hole.

The black hole is after et-5-0-0.gw8.fft4.alter.net.... 

For you and everyone else: if you have linux (or willing to port the code to windows), you can use this https://github.com/mct/tcptraceroute to bypass net filters.

1 hour ago, YukiNagato said:

For you and everyone else: if you have linux (or willing to port the code to windows), you can use this https://github.com/mct/tcptraceroute to bypass net filters.

Thnx for the heads up but no I am no coder, but I can Google :P and found some stuff that helps.

But first some info My rig you can find in my signature.
I am using Windows 10 Pro Installed just 3 days ago, so all drivers are up to date.

Even though my motherboard has a NIC build in I use a Intel NIC (I basically never trust gaming NIC's)

With that out of the way, again I took a few hours away from my Sunday to test stuf.

For good order I did this on 21 February 2016 between 16:00 and 18:00 CET the video was recorded at 17:25 CET.

It just took that long to get stuf ready and uploaded/tested.

I live in the Netherlands my ISP is Ziggo, and I have a 200/20 Mbps connection.

All my speedtests are consistent between 190 to 200 Mbps at a distance of 350 Km to Frankfurt, according to speedtest.net. 

I play on Starfall Crater in the EU

Anyways I started with a few trace routes to the server here is the result. (FYI I did them around 5 times)

lbfqmpv.jpg

The time too my route is weird 19 ms I guess that result comes from the DNS because of asus.router.com.

But in normal tracert it shows up as >1 ms so I disregard it.

Hop 6 is a hidden node if I had the port I guess it will show, but overal the route looks to have no problems.

So I decided to redo a Video because I also found a way to ping the server on the TCP port.

Please do not look at how bad I fight lol I won though :P

Well that's Interesting the ping output bounced between 18 and 27 ms.

But the resources monitor from Windows bounce between 19 to 230 ms well mostly above 200 ms but you get the idea. (and yeah I took the time to view it multiple times)

This raises some questions.
Does Windows resources monitor  give the server latency or network?

Why is there so huge disparity between the two?

I have no answers for that but something does not fit here.

I did some same testing with a other game although there where also a difference between the two it did not go over 5 to 10 ms.

Not like BnS where it goes over 200 ms in  between the two...

Anyway While I was reviewing my recording I forgot to stop the ping.

When I remember it to stop it I saw something interesting.

bXGRpYt.jpg

Wel something in that server had some poopoo hitting the fans....

I did a quick traceroute but that gave me no higher result then before the route was basically the same in ms.

So what happened there... players must have felt that...

Anyways that's it for now.

Let me know if I did something wrong in my testing ways and I will try to fix it.

9 minutes ago, IWantToKnow said:

Many ppl have this issue and as you can see online droped by a lot . Sad think is that i liked this game but living near Germany with 150-250ms in arenas/tower/dungeons its not so fun and this ping only on BNS.

That's why tested it out today again to give as much info as I can...

What they do with it....

We will see

5 minutes ago, Goks aka ComradeLordz said:

Can you provide guide to this so we can all test and give our info's. Pretty please. 

Regards

I can make something yes but it will take couple of days.
I am thinking on a youtube vid so you guys can basically look over my shoulders.. well see my screen.

If you like that idea I will take the time, it can also help with other games I guess.

I wouldn't do a tracert to 64.35.29.1 because  that IP address is link to 1 server but instead take the IP address you are getting for 10100 since each server would have a different 1.Even though OP is saying it's not your own ISP i find that  all the servers link to telia.net in the EU and that the latency from it spikes quite  bit so i'm far from certain that telia.net doesn't have a hardware issue between the moment we enter their servers to the moment they get to Frankfurt.That 10100 to my own server Ogong keep moving from 175ms to 235ms.

1 minute ago, Keawen said:

I wouldn't do a tracert to 64.35.29.1 because  that IP address is link to 1 server but instead take the IP address you are getting for 10100 since each server would have a different 1.Even though OP is saying it's not your own ISP i find that  all the servers link to telia.net in the EU and that the latency from it spikes quite  bit so i'm far from certain that telia.net doesn't have a hardware issue between the moment we enter their servers to the moment they get to Frankfurt.That 10100 to my own server Ogong keep moving from 175ms to 235ms.

Well I guess I just gonna make the guide, it will also show the reasons why I ping a particular IP Address.

Anyways it will take couple of days so I will come back with it asap.

For me the connection bottoms out once it hits servers owned by "Level3" and honestly a lot of games that use whoever that is end up having issues when traffic hits those hops.

For me my connection is averaging 70 until it hits level3 it then averages in the FOUR digits. That's completely unacceptable, especially for a game like BnS where any delay is game breaking.

I haven't even really bothered playing this at all, because once I saw that my skills took 3-5 seconds to register and fire off... I knew there was no possible way to play it.

GG NCsoft

tracert sample

4    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  te-0-4-0-7-ar02.westside.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net [68.86.168.22] 
  5    12 ms    19 ms    11 ms  te-0-8-0-2-ar02.southside.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net [68.86.168.122] 
  6    28 ms    19 ms    19 ms  be-33489-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.95.45] 
  7     *      164 ms    99 ms  ae12.edge2.Miami1.level3.net [4.68.127.205] 
  8  1431 ms  1808 ms     *     ae-25-0.ear1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.210.137] 
  9    44 ms    53 ms    48 ms  4.59.197.34 
 10    44 ms    54 ms    43 ms  64.25.32-9.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.9] 
 11    45 ms    43 ms    44 ms  64.25.32-26.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.26] 
 12    45 ms    45 ms    48 ms  64.25.33-1.ncsoft.com [64.25.39.1] 

Just to add my two cents after an epic battle with Zendesk support. Below is the samples I've collected during the day/overnight for the level3.net hop in Texas. Note how the latency drops off close to 3:00am and picks back up around 7:00am (this seems to happen daily now). Regardless of what my game's latency is, just the simple tcpping (PSTools - psping) to the Iksanun Server stabilizes down to the 60-70's consistantly during that period while all other times have very unstable spikes to 140+ and semi-frequent 3k+/timeouts/packetloss.

VgLwZfY.png

same here will play until sub end and when they still dun address this issue i'm out. Few things they need to fix 

1. arena lag---it had been going on long enough

2. random fps drop cross server after the previous patch

3. If they want us to provide information what information you need

4. Arena and cross server bot 

i'm not been unreasonable in fact most of us isn't...we all know that bot an bot message spamming cannot be totally fix but the current situation now is quite bad to the extent arena is feel with bot cross server lv45 instance is overrun by bot and this is not acceptable 

The other issue will be the extremely bad optimization. Please be honest with the playerbase us "without us there wont be the game" regarding the the game optimization 

Hey hello,

As promised a small guide for latency testing BnS.

Because the servers have there IP address hidden normal tools in Windows are not able to Ping or Traceroute to the servers.

Not sure if this is the same for NA servers but these tools are generaly very handy.

So let's start.

Go to http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects/tcproute.php and download the following program's:

WinPcap

tcroute.zip

tcping.exe

Please note some computers do not have Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

Follow the links on the page to download those even if you are not sure.

I will presume that you have those programs installed on your computer.

Ok let's go on with the rest.

First install WinPcap.

Next unpack tcroute.zip to you C: drive, like I did here:

NLTEAR0.jpg

Next copy or move tcping.exe to the folder tcproute on your C: drive.

With that all done it's time to reboot your PC (this is for WinPcap)

After the reboot it time to start testing.

First you have to find your servers IP address.

Open your Task Manager by press and release the keys Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

It will start up with this window:

uYFdNfv.jpg

Then you click on More Details.

Or it starts with this window:

PgRRzns.jpg

Then you click the tab Performance.

And you see this window:

YR03AKc.jpg

Next click on the bottom Open Resource Monitor.

You will see this window:

lbLpRwX.jpg

To find the IP address to your server click on the tab Network, and tick the box besides Client.exe

in Processes With Network Activity.

You may have to wait few seconds so it can collects resources.

In Network Activity the IP address does not always up like a IP address but as a URL.

Don't worry as you can see in the picture the numbers in front ncsoft.com are the IP address.

The one with the most data going back and forward plus total is the IP address that's the server you need.

The other IP addresses are Login server Marketplace and more.

Ow a small reminder if you do these actions right after you logged into BnS you see a lot more IP addresses.

Login to your character and wait a little you will see some IP addresses disappear, but one will stand out because of data going back and forwards more so if you start to move around in game.

In TCP Connections find that IP address, write it down including the remote port in my case:

206.127.149.12 port 10100 (for you if you are not on starfall crater EU it will be a different address)

Time to start troubleshooting for NCSoft.

Let's open you command prompt by press and release the keys windows key+R.

You will see the Run window enter cmd and click OK.

Will see the next window:

xPNrGyx.jpg

In that window (in this is why it was important to unpack into C: drive) do the following.

cd/ and hit enter

cd tcproute and hit enter

Now we going to do a trace route type in the following and do not forget the IP address I type here may not be the same as yours:

tcproute.exe -i 1 -p 10100 206.127.149.12 and hit enter

Again if you are not on starfall crater EU the port and IP address maybe different, replace it for yours.

If all is correct you see this:

K7xhlQX.jpg

FYI if one of the hops (in this case number 6) times out but the rest of the route goes through it means that the hop times out is hidden.

To ping continuously type:

tcping.exe -t 206.127.149.12 10100 and hit enter

Again if you are not on starfall crater EU the port and IP address maybe different, replace it for yours.

if all is correct you see this:

ir81TG5.jpg

That's it if you have any questions please ask them I will try to answer them in a timely fashion.

SilverWolvie

Adding additional info/stats. The below was included in my failed ticket to the support staff that I started about two weeks ago.

I have two compounding problems, one is the base unstable network connection to the server itself, the second is the 'server lag' that can be seen using the resource monitor in Windows as you guys have shown in here. The resource monitor shows typically an additional 30ms to almost double or more the ping times seen using just a ping tool (psping) which suggests to me not only is the network itself having issues, the server/internal network for the game server is not performing as it should.

The first set of pings shows a typical ping looks like for me to the Iksanun server during the 'day':

Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.92ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.28ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 100.60ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.80ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 99.50ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 99.83ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 142.46ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 66.51ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.03ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 107.81ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.04ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 104.05ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 63.21ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 143.44ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 98.29ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 142.78ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.98ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.89ms

Sent = 68, Received = 68, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 61.98ms, Maximum = 3080.29ms, Average = 137.65ms

The second set below here shows what the pings look like during 'late at night' as shown on my first post (in that valley/dip):

Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.88ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.08ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.54ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.98ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.71ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.21ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.02ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.91ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.86ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.75ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.82ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 59.93ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.77ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.42ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.37ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.69ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.26ms

Sent = 575, Received = 575, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
  Minimum = 59.87ms, Maximum = 69.65ms, Average = 60.92ms

PS: What is up with the forum pasting...

On 2/21/2016 at 6:47 PM, Silverwolvie said:

Why is there so huge disparity between the two?

The reason is simple: ping (any kind of) does not measure additional latency due to server data processing (which seems the real problem here).

I suggested you to use tcptraceroute to bypass network filters so you could "see" your route to the server and rule out ISP issues.

I don't know the polling rate of resource monitor, but it is a more reliable way to check latency.

EU/NA whatever they all related and that makes skill lag even if it says you have low ping go in game arena/dungeons/tower and test your ping with some combos or skills for example as BM with a skill flicker. There is many forum threads about ppl who have  lags everywhere not only on this forum so if you want to play BNS most likely you will need a vpn (its weird maybe they have  contract or something its just super weird why many ppl need that even if you live 5-6 hours from the server) .For those who still saying they have no issues they either have no clue how to check ping in a game or using a vpn (most likely EU ppl) . 

P.S  Make a short video with some combos at tower/arena/dungeon and prove me that you have low ping.   

5 hours ago, YukiNagato said:

The reason is simple: ping (any kind of) does not measure additional latency due to server data processing (which seems the real problem here).

I suggested you to use tcptraceroute to bypass network filters so you could "see" your route to the server and rule out ISP issues.

I don't know the polling rate of resource monitor, but it is a more reliable way to check latency.

And if you check further in the thread I did. with tcproute there is only one node that is hidden and returns a time out.
That node 6 and that one is outside the network of my ISP.

5 hours ago, IWantToKnow said:

EU/NA whatever they all related and that makes skill lag even if it says you have low ping go in game arena/dungeons/tower and test your ping with some combos or skills for example as BM with a skill flicker. There is many forum threads about ppl who have  lags everywhere not only on this forum so if you want to play BNS most likely you will need a vpn (its weird maybe they have  contract or something its just super weird why many ppl need that even if you live 5-6 hours from the server) .For those who still saying they have no issues they either have no clue how to check ping in a game or using a vpn (most likely EU ppl) . 

P.S  Make a short video with some combos at tower/arena/dungeon and prove me that you have low ping.   

yeah that's easy to check how thoses crap server are "laggy"

Play a class with ani cancel ( or whatever spammable skill ) and you will notice

1- its slow most of the time

2- when it look quite fast, you will still have "pause" during that combo when it should be fluid and no stop. ( as long as you have chi ofc )

Its so noticiable while playing sin, and when you look at some youtube video / twitch channel and you see the game without thoses skill delay, you just want to rage quit that game managed by bloody amateur.

On 2/22/2016 at 0:48 PM, Ananuann said:

For me the connection bottoms out once it hits servers owned by "Level3" and honestly a lot of games that use whoever that is end up having issues when traffic hits those hops.

For me my connection is averaging 70 until it hits level3 it then averages in the FOUR digits. That's completely unacceptable, especially for a game like BnS where any delay is game breaking.

I haven't even really bothered playing this at all, because once I saw that my skills took 3-5 seconds to register and fire off... I knew there was no possible way to play it.

GG NCsoft

tracert sample

4    13 ms    11 ms    11 ms  te-0-4-0-7-ar02.westside.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net [68.86.168.22] 
  5    12 ms    19 ms    11 ms  te-0-8-0-2-ar02.southside.fl.jacksvil.comcast.net [68.86.168.122] 
  6    28 ms    19 ms    19 ms  be-33489-cr01.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.95.45] 
  7     *      164 ms    99 ms  ae12.edge2.Miami1.level3.net [4.68.127.205] 
  8  1431 ms  1808 ms     *     ae-25-0.ear1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.210.137] 
  9    44 ms    53 ms    48 ms  4.59.197.34 
 10    44 ms    54 ms    43 ms  64.25.32-9.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.9] 
 11    45 ms    43 ms    44 ms  64.25.32-26.ncsoft.com [64.25.32.26] 
 12    45 ms    45 ms    48 ms  64.25.33-1.ncsoft.com [64.25.39.1] 

The problem for me is also with level3. This is something I have no control over, it's just where the data flows and what I'm seeing in my traceroute. If it was a few years ago I'd send email to the ISP and request they escalate upstream to the NOC... that used to actually work. If I try to work with comcast, they automatically blame my 3rd party router. There is no talking to them.

So for example, earlier tonight when I got dropped from the game with a hard disconnect with 1320ish latency showing in the resource manager for the client.exe on remote port 10100, I had this trace, truncated by me, it went on into the 30s and wasn't showing signs of stopping. 

3    21 ms    19 ms    19 ms  te-0-7-0-7-sur03.scotts.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.217.161]
  4    28 ms     *       23 ms  be-221-ar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net [69.139.199.205]
  5     *       23 ms    24 ms  te-11-0-2.edge4.Frankfurt1.level3.net [4.68.127.105]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.

I'm probably too slow to see any packet loss registering in the resource manager. I'm not familiar enough with networking to know how to log things or run things in the background to try to troubleshoot this. I don't know if it is a backbone issue or if it's an issue with NCSoft.

On 2/25/2016 at 7:04 PM, Susumu said:

Adding additional info/stats. The below was included in my failed ticket to the support staff that I started about two weeks ago.

I have two compounding problems, one is the base unstable network connection to the server itself, the second is the 'server lag' that can be seen using the resource monitor in Windows as you guys have shown in here. The resource monitor shows typically an additional 30ms to almost double or more the ping times seen using just a ping tool (psping) which suggests to me not only is the network itself having issues, the server/internal network for the game server is not performing as it should.

The first set of pings shows a typical ping looks like for me to the Iksanun server during the 'day':

Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.92ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.28ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 100.60ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.80ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 99.50ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 99.83ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 142.46ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 66.51ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.03ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 107.81ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.04ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 104.05ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 63.21ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 143.44ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 98.29ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 142.78ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 102.98ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 62.89ms

Sent = 68, Received = 68, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 61.98ms, Maximum = 3080.29ms, Average = 137.65ms

The second set below here shows what the pings look like during 'late at night' as shown on my first post (in that valley/dip):

Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.08ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.54ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.98ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.71ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.21ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.02ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.91ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.86ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.75ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.82ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 59.93ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.77ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.42ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.37ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 61.69ms
Connecting to 64.25.37.232:10100: 60.26ms

Sent = 575, Received = 575, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
  Minimum = 59.87ms, Maximum = 69.65ms, Average = 60.92ms

PS: What is up with the forum pasting...

Why did your ticket to technical support "fail"? Did they ignore it? Brush it off? I'm curious as to how it got handled, I just opened one :P I'm tired of constant disconnects from the game. This is getting old. I'm getting dropped 4-5 times a day now, and this has been going on for 2+ weeks. Not the entire time I've been playing either -- the first couple of weeks seemed stable, then ... I don't know. About 2, 3 weeks ago, disconnects and lag started. I don't know what, and I wish I had a more precise date for it. But I've had plenty of time to run the gamut of "is this my computer or home network" ... and it's beyond that.

It's making the game unplayable to say the least. I'm tired of having to redo solo content, and if I disconnect in multiplayer content or pvp well... I just wasted all effort. Obviously. This isn't just happening to me either. I watch the person I game with get booted many times a night as well (they live in a different state).

Archived