Allow us to turn off the IP verification

ShoNNe

Greetings,

As I've searched a bit about this - Players always tried to get NCSOFT to somehow react regarding this matter. But nothing ever happend regarding it and things remained as-is.

What I would like to propose is to have the launcher not require any verification code upon logging in.  My dynamical IP resets on a daily basis, 11:54 to be precise. Whenever I casually decide to play some BnS I end up having to log to my email account, click the mail, type the code then proceed, which on daily basis buggs me a lot and I'd rather not start the game at all.

Game already requires a PIN, aside from this IP verification. This is obviously an overkill, no hacker, no matter how skilled can obtain both your username/password and PIN (unless you're stupid enough to have a 123456 PIN / or go around in the game shouting my PIN is 563894). Only serious possibility is a keylogger/RAT (Remote Administration Tool, commonly known as "Trojan") at which point your e-mail access, PIN,  will all go to the hacker and not even having IP/PIN protection would save someone's account from getting hijacked (thus making this e-mail verification useless).

The system is flawed as it currently is. Remove the stupid IP verification and keep the PIN verification OR keep the IP verification but allow us to specify IP ranges which are white-listed, since most of the dynamical IPs change only the latter two parts of the IP itself daily.

You should keep the verification for Website login and Forum access, but remove it from the launcher and allow us to start the game without having to go through verifications every single time.

15 minutes ago, Aria Kyu said:

If you don't like the IP verification, and you're always in the same location, ask for a static IP.

I can't ask for a static IP nor I want one. I prefer dynamic IPs that change daily, having a dynamic IP is way better.

This system sucks. PIN and username + password is good but adding the IP verification is a total overkill. And it's not even usefull, it's totally useless from the security aspect, too.

Just now, ShoNNe said:

I can't ask for a static IP nor I want one. I prefer dynamic IPs that change daily, having a dynamic IP is way better.

This system sucks. PIN and username + password is good but adding the IP verification is a total overkill. And it's not even usefull, it's totally useless from the security aspect, too.

A lot of major publishers are doing the samething. You have to either deal with it, or get a static IP. ArenaNet, Blizzard, even Steam is doing the samething with Two-Step verification. 

Just now, Aria Kyu said:

A lot of major publishers are doing the samething. You have to either deal with it, or get a static IP. ArenaNet, Blizzard, even Steam is doing the samething with Two-Step verification. 

Steam has a file which stores your HWID and doesn't bug you every single time you try to launch it.

2 minutes ago, ShoNNe said:

Steam has a file which stores your HWID and doesn't bug you every single time you try to launch it.

Technically not true. Every time you have to sign in, it'll ask you for the verification code. If you have an auto-sign in, that's bypassed.

Just now, Aria Kyu said:

Technically not true. Every time you have to sign in, it'll ask you for the verification code. If you have an auto-sign in, that's bypassed.

SteamGuard stores a file on the PC, usually within the directory of Steam executible itself. This does not require you to enter a new verification code every time you log-in with a new IP as long as the file with HWID exists. Basically, there was a commotion regarding inventory-stealers a while ago, hackers stole those files and could log-in without any verifications aside from username/password.

That's totally irrelevant now and I have no wish to go in great detail about every aspect of Steam and their security. Even so, Steam as a much larger community allows us to turn off SteamGuard completely whereas this game asks for username / password / PIN and on top of that IP verification code every single day.

27 minutes ago, Aria Kyu said:

Either way, you have 2 options. Deal with it, or get a static IP. You wish to do neither. The most they'll do in the instance if to use Google Authentication, which still won't change anything. 

Well, you sure are a tryhard "try-to-help" type of person. Although I appreciate your efforts, I still wonder for what reason you're doing all this community-work. Not that I care much: to each their own, I guess.

Regarding the matter at hand,

Deal with it? That's not how the issues should be solved: 

P2W? Deal with it.

Can't log in? Deal with it.  

Deal with it? Deal with it!

What this community needs is a community manager, someone to actually convey the players thoughts and actively engage in resolving the issues.

Merely saying to deal with it is just not helping at all. It's not that I wish to do neither, but after a hard day I come back home, tired like a dog then think about gaming a bit but nope, I have to go through the verifications every single time although I always log-in from the same PC. At this point, I'd rather go to sleep than to go log-in with my complex e-mail set-up which itself has a 2FA.

Static IP can be good, but as long as in regard to  my current field of expertise I could easily get myself under a large DDoS attack and it would just cause trouble

While I understand your security issue, none of us here can help you. This is all company sided. The only thing I can offer is to bring this to General Discussion, where more players are able to debate about this and/or talk to NCSoft directly. I apologize for my aggressive behavior. However, none of us can help you here.

Archived