Black Padded Coat is a random chest!?!?

Phayte

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BullsI said:

Did you people never go to McDonalds as a kid and get happy meals?  How many happy meals did it take to get all the toys?  How many time did you get the same toy?  The boxes are basically that.  They give a set reward + a subset of anywhere from worthless to awesome rewards.  It's up to the individual to decide what cost is worth paying to get that one specific reward.  Just because you don't think its worth it, doesn't mean everyone should, specially when "that one item" is a completely pointless item as far as game play is concerned.

happy meal toys were generally on a weekly rotation - if you asked nicely they would usually tell you what that week's toy was or as someone else said, if they had any they would just give it to you. either way i went there for a hamburger and fries; the toy was just extra. the same as i wouldnt buy an entire box of cereal i didnt like in the hopes of getting a good toy (well. my parents wouldnt have bought it for me) that woulda been a waste of money. it still is.

On 2/4/2016 at 11:28 AM, Phayte said:

I am a little more than upset that the one costume I loved more than any in the store is now in a random locked loot chest! I would much rather pay right now. I feel like NCsoft was aware that this was a popular item in beta and now are taking advantage of that by making it BoP and only accessible through a system of luck and chance. I truly hate this! This is why I hate the NwO(And other mmos) system! I could end up paying upwards of 20 bucks now while all the other outfits in the hongmoon store are under 15 bucks. Why would NCsoft do this except, if not to exploit a popular outfit and make extra money?

I am mostly typing out loud with no filter at the moment as I am writing this up while mad...

We could at least make this sort of outfit able to trade so I could get the gold together and get it that way. This would also help promote player gold trading as to help fight gold spammers.

I will eventually buy 11 chests for 1599 NCcoin, spending 20 bucks to see if I can get it, but if it does not drop out of 11 I am DONE! Please NCsoft just make all outfits accessible through cash payment. FORGET RANDOM CHESTS ALTOGETHER!!! THEY ARE AN EXPLOIT TOWARDS FAITHFUL FANS OF YOUR GAME!

Maybe one day I will get the Black Padded Coat from running dailies and getting it with hongmoon coins. If this chest even stays in the HS. Here's to hoping! <cheers>

Spent 80 and never got one....

1 hour ago, akimbojinbo said:

Yes that is a valid point. While that is much better than it being a 'normal' purchase in the Hongmoon store, it still doesn't change the fact that NC Soft decided not to include the information that the costume would be available through other means other than buying low chance RNG boxes. If they do release it in the future, and it is significantly easier for people to obtain it than it was through the RNG boxes, then I am sure that a lot of people will demand compensation from NC Soft and that they would no longer buy any RNG boxes than NC Soft introduces in the future.

Better for you, maybe.  Not for people smart enough not to bother with RNG boxes.  Anyways, people complaining don't have a leg to stand on.  Nowhere does it say the outfit is RNG box exclusive.  And yeah, I'd like to see it available as a straight cash shop item, particularly because that means people are less likely to go after them.  (and, more likely, probably means there was enough pushback from THESE boxes that they aren't going to try them again anyways.)

1 hour ago, BullsI said:

Did you people never go to McDonalds as a kid and get happy meals?  How many happy meals did it take to get all the toys?  How many time did you get the same toy?  The boxes are basically that.  They give a set reward + a subset of anywhere from worthless to awesome rewards.  It's up to the individual to decide what cost is worth paying to get that one specific reward.  Just because you don't think its worth it, doesn't mean everyone should, specially when "that one item" is a completely pointless item as far as game play is concerned.

Uhm.  Never?  And never did I ever try to "get all the toys".

Admittedly, the only McD's toy I remember ever wanting was the flying saucer thing, and in that case the meal came in the toy, not the other way 'round.  And YOU ALWAYS GOT ONE.

4 hours ago, GnatB said:

Better for you, maybe.  Not for people smart enough not to bother with RNG boxes.  Anyways, people complaining don't have a leg to stand on.  Nowhere does it say the outfit is RNG box exclusive.  And yeah, I'd like to see it available as a straight cash shop item, particularly because that means people are less likely to go after them.  (and, more likely, probably means there was enough pushback from THESE boxes that they aren't going to try them again anyways.)

Of course it will be better for me, as I know exactly what I was getting myself into when I decided to. Smart enough to stay away from the RNG boxes? If you think you're smart for knowing what you want, then that's fine. But some people actually do want to spend money on exclusive items so whether they roll RNG boxes or not has nothing to do with whether one is smart or not. It's about whether you know what you're getting yourself into and knowing what you want. 

This isn't an item that changes stats, and it won't have any impact on one's experience. All the people who are complaining about RNG boxes just sound like they're sore about other people not sharing their opinion of not wanting to spend money to get it. Yes, if the item was a normal cash shop item, then probably it would go unnoticed. Maybe it's shallow to want it just because it's exclusive, but at least people like that admit it. If an item gives an unfair advantage to one through RNG, then it's unfair. But this is aesthetics, so it would make sense for people who don't want to spend the money to just not spend it, and leave it at that. Otherwise you would just sound sore about not be willing to get it will others are willing to risk that.

15 hours ago, akimbojinbo said:

All the people who are complaining about RNG boxes just sound like they're sore about other people not sharing their opinion of not wanting to spend money to get it.

I'll certainly admit that's part of it.  You spend money chasing this outfit, (which I think happens to look fugly) and it becomes far more likely an outfit I DO like will end up locked behind a gotcha.  You don't spend money chasing this outfit in a gotcha, and it becomes far less likely the outfit I like will end up locked behind a gotcha, AND far more likely they'll re-sell this outfit in some other format.  (i.e. perhaps as a simple item in the store for $100)

Spending money on gotcha's is simply shooting yourself in the foot.  Some people may enjoy that.  I don't.  No sane person does.  It simply isn't in your own best interest.

7 minutes ago, GnatB said:

I'll certainly admit that's part of it.  You spend money chasing this outfit, (which I think happens to look fugly) and it becomes far more likely an outfit I DO like will end up locked behind a gotcha.  You don't spend money chasing this outfit in a gotcha, and it becomes far less likely the outfit I like will end up locked behind a gotcha, AND far more likely they'll re-sell this outfit in some other format.  (i.e. perhaps as a simple item in the store for $100)

Spending money on gotcha's is simply shooting yourself in the foot.  Some people may enjoy that.  I don't.  No sane person does.  It simply isn't in your own best interest.

Well now you're just saying that anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion isn't sane. Sounds awfully prejudice to me no? Whether one's use in their money determines whether they're sane or not depends on a multitude of factors, the primary being how much spare money they have and what they get enjoyment from. I, along with many others, love collecting things. Exclusive and rare things? I love them even more. Although I also agree that having to spend money to get an exclusive item is not ideal, the way the game is designed right now, this is the only way so far to get a rather 'exclusive' item. Every other costume can be obtainable, although will take some time through the wheel, and thus doesn't have much collector's 'value'. 

But hey, this is just my opinion and what I get enjoyment from. Obviously I would understand if people didn't share my enjoyment from rare and exclusive items, but you don't see me calling you insane for being whiny about not everyone thinking the same as me right.

I have no problem with spending money to collect things, or exclusive rare things.   I have a problem with funding predatory business practices that quite literally hurt yourself.  Had they decided to simply put this outfit in the store for $100 it would fit all your criteria of exclusive/rare.  And you'd still get to spend lots of money on it.

And I'm not sure I agree with your take that this is the only way so far to get a rather 'exclusive' item. (assuming you'e ignoring the two founders pack outfits)  AFAIK most of the items in the store aren't available in game "through the wheel" any more or less than this outfit.

I don't mind it being in a RNG box, but if RNG it should atleast be tradeable. Either tradeable or buyable straight from cash shop, that's my policy.

I mainly buy the boxes for the weapon and accessory upgrade gems/jewels tho. They're definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, GnatB said:

I have no problem with spending money to collect things, or exclusive rare things.   I have a problem with funding predatory business practices that quite literally hurt yourself.  Had they decided to simply put this outfit in the store for $100 it would fit all your criteria of exclusive/rare.  And you'd still get to spend lots of money on it.

And I'm not sure I agree with your take that this is the only way so far to get a rather 'exclusive' item. (assuming you'e ignoring the two founders pack outfits)  AFAIK most of the items in the store aren't available in game "through the wheel" any more or less than this outfit.

Again I get your point but I think you're missing the point of what some people count as 'exclusive'. Just because they're available in the store doesn't mean they're exclusive. It allows anyone the opportunity to buy them, and therefore even though many people might not have them, it is still accessible to everyone. The concept of exclusiveness exists when many people aren't able to obtain it. In this aspect, RNG is perfect because even if you have money, it's much harder and there's an innate risk involved to get it. This means less people will try, leading to less people having it, and therefore making the item more exclusive.

As for 'predatory' business tactics, I think that many people are taking it too far. NC Soft isn't forcing people to buy these items. They have no impact on your gameplay and is just something extra for people like me who wish to 'collect' more exclusive items for customization. Assuming that everyone can read and understand basic english, they will know that buying these boxes or not will have no impact on their gameplay, and that there is no promise of sure return. No matter how people will like to phrase it, it's true that they knew themselves that they may not be able to get the item even if they spent lots of money on it. If they did it anyway, I wouldn't call them stupid, but rather unlucky that it didn't work out for them. The conditions of the RNG box didn't change from before and after their purchase and opening of those boxes, so I wouldn't exactly classify this as a predatory business tactic. 

I would say games like Puzzles and Dragons, if anyone knows of it, uses a much more explicit predatory business technique. There are items you can only get through paying money, and without the use of at least a little money, progression in that game would be extremely difficult. Blade and Soul, however, is a different story.

1 hour ago, Syko said:

I don't mind it being in a RNG box, but if RNG it should atleast be tradeable. Either tradeable or buyable straight from cash shop, that's my policy.

I mainly buy the boxes for the weapon and accessory upgrade gems/jewels tho. They're definitely worth it.

This I agree with. I would love it if these items were tradable since it wouldn't change the exclusiveness of these items, but also allow other players to obtain it at a more fair regulated market price.

3 hours ago, GnatB said:

Well there I would understand why you wouldn't be able to understand me since you don't share the same values. For me the main difference is that people will buy the item less of course if the outfit is $100, but by putting them in RNG boxes, less people would be inclined to buying them. Therefore it limits the item to a smaller player base of people who are willing to spend the money into a small chance for a costume.

2 hours ago, akimbojinbo said:

As for 'predatory' business tactics, I think that many people are taking it too far. NC Soft isn't forcing people to buy these items.

No, but they are exploiting a known addictive behavior.

7 hours ago, akimbojinbo said:

Well now you're just saying that anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion isn't sane. Sounds awfully prejudice to me no? Whether one's use in their money determines whether they're sane or not depends on a multitude of factors, the primary being how much spare money they have and what they get enjoyment from. I, along with many others, love collecting things. Exclusive and rare things? I love them even more.

I too enjoy *cricket*ing over all my fellow gamers so I can feel a little bit more special.

Heard of ExxonMobil?  I think we can do better.  PM me.

Archived