Black Padded Coat is a random chest!?!?

Phayte

22 hours ago, MadBlue said:

Plenty of games that go from P2P to F2P introduce gamble boxes along with the cash shop on day 1 of F2P. 

Because they are broke, they are failing and need to make a quick buck...so is B&S failing already? I hope not but if so then something went wrong and loot boxes aren't going to fix it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/6/2016 at 6:04 PM, Mekusa said:

Everyone that's spending a ton on these boxes take a little time out and watch this video at about 2:50 in are some stories you should hear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtXyv0Q1Eg and maybe some of you that think no way anyone's spending this much money should hear them also.

Thanks so much for posting that.  Can I quote you on my thread?

8 hours ago, TheRealBronx said:

I don't like a lot of stuff. Some things in life just aren't fair.

Do I go on my little soap box to announce my dislike for something I think is not fair? No. I just simply don't buy or support it.

As far as I'm concerned, it's more about creating public awareness of the issue that is gotchas.  If we can get people to wake up and realize they're a ripoff *before* they give NCSoft their money, and that by doing so they're encouraging more of said ripoff, then perhaps they won't give in to the temptation, and companies will stop doing them.

Because you're right, I don't think we can simply convince publishers not to do it.  However we may be able to show consumers how it's totally against their own interests to participate in them.

edit:  i.e. I don't really blame the publishers.  I blame the people that buy 'em.

34 minutes ago, Mekusa said:

Because they are broke, they are failing and need to make a quick buck...so is B&S failing already? I hope not but if so then something went wrong and loot boxes aren't going to fix it.

They do it for the same reason B&S does: it's easy revenue. I mean, a game launching as F2P doesn't even start with the steady revenue stream that a P2P game does. Why would a P2P game that transitions to a hybrid F2P game need to make money quickly, but a game that launches as F2P wouldn't?

2 hours ago, MadBlue said:

They do it for the same reason B&S does: it's easy revenue. I mean, a game launching as F2P doesn't even start with the steady revenue stream that a P2P game does. Why would a P2P game that transitions to a hybrid F2P game need to make money quickly, but a game that launches as F2P wouldn't?

You have a point there but you'd think maybe the pre orders and subs and class slots we bought and other stuff in the store would of covered it. I know I myself put in over $100 the first week that was a lot more than my EQ or WoW or any of the other P2P MMO's cost me.

On 2/6/2016 at 6:35 PM, MadBlue said:

So the answer is "Yes, it will be made available in the Hongmoon Store, so all you people should stop showering NCSoft with money trying to get it from the Winter  Frenzy Chest"? If people are complaining about how much they spent on not getting it, imagine all the demands for compensation when it appears in the Hongmoon Store.

That literally doesn't make sense as a business plan. The reason they invent these RNG boxes is for those collectors out there to obtain a costume that is 'rare' and 'exclusive' in a game where everything else is basically fairly obtainable. If they at some point release the Black Padded Coat into the Hongmoon Store, what person would buy the RNG boxes to come. They would know that the RNG costume that's included in them will get released for a fixed lower price. This would completely eradicate the motivation behind these RNG boxes. Therefore, I highly doubt that the costume will be made available in the Hongmoon store at a further point. If it was, regardless of whether the RNG boxes is a 'predatory' technique, it would be unfair to those who have actually shelled out the hundreds to obtain the item.

Furthermore, who is the person who gave that response? Does he/she have any affiliation with NC Soft, making the post somewhat credible? What further makes the post seemingly false is that no NC Soft employee would be allowed to publicly announce that the outfit that's in their RNG boxes will be made available to everyone WHILE the event is occurring. Some food for thought.

hahaha you guys spending hundreds of bucks for one single clothing? Are you serious!?? You proven you ARE stupid ahahahaaaa. mwahahahaaaaa

damn i am getting tears in my eyes ahahahhhaaaaaa

Ncsoft created a perfect trap for rich fools and you just got trapped!! MWAHAHHahahahahaaahaaaa

6 minutes ago, konnichi said:

hahaha you guys spending hundreds of bucks for one single clothing? Are you serious!?? You proven you ARE stupid ahahahaaaa. mwahahahaaaaa

damn i am getting tears in my eyes ahahahhhaaaaaa

Ncsoft created a perfect trap for rich fools and you just got trapped!! MWAHAHHahahahahaaahaaaa

Ya having jobs and being able to spend our money the way we want sucks.

49 minutes ago, akimbojinbo said:

That literally doesn't make sense as a business plan. The reason they invent these RNG boxes is for those collectors out there to obtain a costume that is 'rare' and 'exclusive' in a game where everything else is basically fairly obtainable. If they at some point release the Black Padded Coat into the Hongmoon Store, what person would buy the RNG boxes to come. They would know that the RNG costume that's included in them will get released for a fixed lower price. This would completely eradicate the motivation behind these RNG boxes. Therefore, I highly doubt that the costume will be made available in the Hongmoon store at a further point. If it was, regardless of whether the RNG boxes is a 'predatory' technique, it would be unfair to those who have actually shelled out the hundreds to obtain the item.

Furthermore, who is the person who gave that response? Does he/she have any affiliation with NC Soft, making the post somewhat credible? What further makes the post seemingly false is that no NC Soft employee would be allowed to publicly announce that the outfit that's in their RNG boxes will be made available to everyone WHILE the event is occurring. Some food for thought.

*shrug* go to his twitter feed yourself.  He *is* the assistant producer, and seems to be one of the mouthpieces for the game.  So yes, very credible.  (and fwiw, apparently the v-day outfits will be in some form of bundle.  Not sure if I'm particularly happy about that, unless it's like a bundle of 7 outfits, 1 for each character.

2 hours ago, akimbojinbo said:

Yeah, that's why I thought the response was odd. If they're telling people that it will be available from the store later, why would anyone continue to spend money trying to get it from a gamble box? And people who have already spent money are going to demand compensation, claiming they were duped into buying the boxes because NCSoft didn't tell them that it would be available from the store eventually.

2 hours ago, Yuma said:

at least make the boxes purchasable with hongmoon coins .-.

Of all the complaints in this thread, my personal opinion is that this is the only valid one.

If ya'll are seriously buying these boxes without having the liquid funds to do so, you should seriously seek some sort of help.  If you don't understand that random means random... for the love of god just stop.  If you don't like random boxes, just have some patients, they already said they're going to release it as a normal purchase costume.  I for one appreciate the boxes.  Even if I hadn't gotten the outfit, I was able to more then make up for having to be gone for a week because of my job.  That's worth it to me.

To be precise, the assistant producer never said they were going to release it as a normal purchase costume.  The question asked was:

"I don't tend to like gambling, So will the Black Padded Coat ever be available without the Winter Chest? Im just concerned."

the response was:

" Yes but it has not been determined how or when "

There is no indication whatsoever as to what the alternative option will be.  It could be anything from a *different* gotcha, to a facebook raffle, to a reward for the person that wins the first PvP tournament.  And, in fact, I would be inclined to argue that the fact that the "how and when" are still up in the air strongly suggest it will not, in fact, be a "normal purchase costume".  Heck, while I hate to give them ideas, it could be a 100 daily step dash where you have to spend 300 NCoin for each spin, with a "base line" of 0 spins per day.  (so premium, with their 1 extra, get 1 spin/day)

1 hour ago, GnatB said:

To be precise, the assistant producer never said they were going to release it as a normal purchase costume.  The question asked was:

"I don't tend to like gambling, So will the Black Padded Coat ever be available without the Winter Chest? Im just concerned."

the response was:

" Yes but it has not been determined how or when "

There is no indication whatsoever as to what the alternative option will be.  It could be anything from a *different* gotcha, to a facebook raffle, to a reward for the person that wins the first PvP tournament.  And, in fact, I would be inclined to argue that the fact that the "how and when" are still up in the air strongly suggest it will not, in fact, be a "normal purchase costume".  Heck, while I hate to give them ideas, it could be a 100 daily step dash where you have to spend 300 NCoin for each spin, with a "base line" of 0 spins per day.  (so premium, with their 1 extra, get 1 spin/day)

Yes that is a valid point. While that is much better than it being a 'normal' purchase in the Hongmoon store, it still doesn't change the fact that NC Soft decided not to include the information that the costume would be available through other means other than buying low chance RNG boxes. If they do release it in the future, and it is significantly easier for people to obtain it than it was through the RNG boxes, then I am sure that a lot of people will demand compensation from NC Soft and that they would no longer buy any RNG boxes than NC Soft introduces in the future.

If they do wish to capitalize on the RNG boxes (whether it is ethical or not is a different issue), then they should make the incentive for players to open them clear: by stating that it is limited edition and that opening these boxes are the ONLY way for people to obtain them.

STOP BUYING THE #%@&ING BOXES... PLEASE!!

Would you go to a store and fork out a grand in the HOPES that you get to walk out with that $100 mouse!?

What do you think is going to happen if you morons keep REWARDING NCSoft for making RNG boxes? Because rewarding them is EXACTLY what you're doing EVERY TIME you buy an RNG box: It doesn't matter if you come over to the forums and whinge about how terrible they are AFTER you spend hundreds of dollars on it, THEY ONLY FOLLOW THE MONEY!

*cricket* impulse control disorder idiots...

Did you people never go to McDonalds as a kid and get happy meals?  How many happy meals did it take to get all the toys?  How many time did you get the same toy?  The boxes are basically that.  They give a set reward + a subset of anywhere from worthless to awesome rewards.  It's up to the individual to decide what cost is worth paying to get that one specific reward.  Just because you don't think its worth it, doesn't mean everyone should, specially when "that one item" is a completely pointless item as far as game play is concerned.

21 minutes ago, BullsI said:

Did you people never go to McDonalds as a kid and get happy meals?  How many happy meals did it take to get all the toys?  How many time did you get the same toy?  The boxes are basically that.  They give a set reward + a subset of anywhere from worthless to awesome rewards.  It's up to the individual to decide what cost is worth paying to get that one specific reward.  Just because you don't think its worth it, doesn't mean everyone should, specially when "that one item" is a completely pointless item as far as game play is concerned.

Yeah, if happy meals had a 95% chance to contain 2 chips, 4% chance to contain a pack of chips, 0.9% chance to contain a burger and pack of chips, and a 0.1% chance to contain a toy at all......

PS - Growing up, most of the places we ordered from allowed us, as kids, to ask for the specific toy we wanted anyway (If they had stock).

*Edit: You bought the meal (burger, chips & drink) and were guaranteed to receive it. If you want to compare it here, they'd need to turn the RNG box on its head: guarantee the costume drop, with a chance for an additional item (key/charm/stone/etc), and raise the box price to standard (Or a teeny bit above) costume prices.

Archived