Please NCSoft re-evaluate the wardrobe system!

Anote

I voted for Being it for only premiums. 1 time pruchase wouldn't work in the long run... even for 40$. That's what... 3 and a half month worth of subscription? Then what will be the income for the devs? the outfits? are you really want the devs to believe you will just throw money in their faces if they gave "you" the wardrobe... lol.

Let me be blant for once: If some1 really had the intention to purchase anything... They already did and will. The people who say "I don't buy anything because XYZ is unfair, but if it's chaged I PINKY PROMISE I WILL SUPPORT THE GAME" <--- You wouldn't.

Premium is a steady income for the company so the freeloaders can continue to play for free, while us Paying costumers pay.

PS.: For those who bring up the argument "But I have so much outfits!!!!" <--- You don't need that many. Throw those away that you don't weat or will wear. No matter what "you" heared... BnS is NOT a Barbie Dress Up game. Outfits are cosmetic and NOT the endgame.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sikab said:

Let me be blant for once: If some1 really had the intention to purchase anything... They already did and will. The people who say "I don't buy anything because XYZ is unfair, but if it's chaged I PINKY PROMISE I WILL SUPPORT THE GAME" <--- You wouldn't.

Incorrect. I have put my money where my mouth is repeatedly. Chiefly: I've purchased many outfits in GW2, Rift, and WildStar in large part because I know they will be available to ALL of my characters, which makes it a good deal for me. That is not the case in Blade and Soul.

And no matter what "you" heard, the costume system is CLEARLY important in the game, or costumes would not be the reward for so many activities.

4 minutes ago, Naunet said:

Incorrect. I have put my money where my mouth is repeatedly. Chiefly: I've purchased many outfits in GW2, Rift, and WildStar in large part because I know they will be available to ALL of my characters, which makes it a good deal for me. That is not the case in Blade and Soul.

And no matter what "you" heard, the costume system is CLEARLY important in the game, or costumes would not be the reward for so many activities.

Just because it's a reward (which is not that common as you like to make it sound), it doesn't make it an important part of a game. Based on that idea... we might aswell demand free Dumpling storage because... I get Dumplings left and right and it takes up a lot of space, it most be an important part of the game, right?

It's rather pointless to try and argue that costumes are not important in MMOs when costumes are the driving motivation for content completion for a huge proportion of people and yields significant revenue. Ask anyone in-game why they're farming X dungeon, and if it isn't for a breakthrough weapon, I'd be willing to bet it's for a costume. Same can be said for any other MMO.

How our characters look is important. Being able to customize that appearance is important. This game has made it so important that our costumes are completely removed from the stat system, while providing costumes as quest rewards, instance rewards, wheel rewards, and cash shop purchases. They are obviously a hugely important part of the game.

3 hours ago, Zarec said:

Well i vaguelly remember them saying no lockboxes means wardrobe being locked behind premium (was somewhere in teh CBT forums) and now that we have lockboxes that now may change as well.  Like I've said before be careful what you wish for.

took me a min to figure  out you meant the store RNG boxes .. not sure where you got that info (though not doubting it might be there somewhere)

I guarantee IF they don't add something to the premium but take it out from behind the pay wall they will lose subs as many players won't be bothered paying the monthly cost anymore .. and IF the wardrobe is $20 like some people think darn straight I won't bother paying for a sub which at present is messing me up due to the xp bonus putting me beyond the content level

everyone can say that it is going to be this or that but until they do something NOTHING is set in stone and NCSoft has final say in what will be what.. they might leave wardrobe behind the pay wall for a year since originally the game didn't even have a wardrobe AND YET the players got by and the game became very popular 

2 minutes ago, Naunet said:

It's rather pointless to try and argue that costumes are not important in MMOs when costumes are the driving motivation for content completion for a huge proportion of people and yields significant revenue. Ask anyone in-game why they're farming X dungeon, and if it isn't for a breakthrough weapon, I'd be willing to bet it's for a costume. Same can be said for any other MMO.

How our characters look is important. Being able to customize that appearance is important. This game has made it so important that our costumes are completely removed from the stat system, while providing costumes as quest rewards, instance rewards, wheel rewards, and cash shop purchases. They are obviously a hugely important part of the game.

I have to agree. Costumes are cool. But does one need to OWN every costume? Hardly. Anything above what you regularly wear is just a habit of collection. Not neccesary or affect your chars appearance in any way. The option to store them should be payed for... Monthly.

The option to store them is not something one has to pay monthly for in Blade and Soul's competition. And rightfully so, because monthly charges for inventory space is absolutely absurd.

You don't NEED anything in this game. It's a video game. It's all about what people want, so arguing about what people "need" is not appropriate, by the way. People want whatever they want in the game, and that's that.

1 minute ago, Naunet said:

The option to store them is not something one has to pay monthly for in Blade and Soul's competition. And rightfully so, because monthly charges for inventory space is absolutely absurd.

You don't NEED anything in this game. It's a video game. It's all about what people want, so arguing about what people "need" is not appropriate, by the way. People want whatever they want in the game, and that's that.

As many times have been proved... Players actually have the least idea of what they really want. Sure, one can say "I want free Wardrobes". But does that player actually knows and understands the longterm damage that these entitlement can cause? What that entitled player really wants is to be able to play the game. With Wardrobe being free that's not guaranteed for the long term that he will be able to.

It's hilarious to me that all these people who defend the wardrobe being locked behind a subscription can't really give examples or good reasons of the supposed damage that unlocking it to everyone would bring. What's it going to do? Entice people to buy more costumes? 

Wait, no, that's a good thing. I guess they don't actually want the game to make money. The only reason I can fathom is, then, that they are currently subscribing and they know that the only thing worth a pickle in the subscription is the wardrobe. So they don't want that taken away because they feel they are entitled to it for paying.

By the way, do you know what the word' entited' means? It means you have a right to something. It's not an insult, you silly people. 

The wardrobe is essentially the only "premium" perk that's worth anything at all once you've hit level 45. The rest is all nearly useless, completely useless or questionable visual fluff.

If the wardrobe were free I'd cancel premium. It's my only reason for keeping it thus far and I'm still on the fence.

18 hours ago, Naunet said:

What a ridiculous assertion. xD Freely available wardrobe storage has worked perfectly fine in other f2p MMOs. There's no reason to expect it wouldn't in Blade and Soul.

The other MMOs also have RNG boxes which we...

Oh... yeah.

Yeah...

22 hours ago, Kensho1996 said:

took me a min to figure  out you meant the store RNG boxes .. not sure where you got that info (though not doubting it might be there somewhere)

I guarantee IF they don't add something to the premium but take it out from behind the pay wall they will lose subs as many players won't be bothered paying the monthly cost anymore .. and IF the wardrobe is $20 like some people think darn straight I won't bother paying for a sub which at present is messing me up due to the xp bonus putting me beyond the content level

everyone can say that it is going to be this or that but until they do something NOTHING is set in stone and NCSoft has final say in what will be what.. they might leave wardrobe behind the pay wall for a year since originally the game didn't even have a wardrobe AND YET the players got by and the game became very popular 

Funny thing...only the TW version has a wardrobe open to all players..every other version it is part of premium.  

4 hours ago, Spiderbot said:

It's hilarious to me that all these people who defend the wardrobe being locked behind a subscription can't really give examples or good reasons of the supposed damage that unlocking it to everyone would bring. What's it going to do? Entice people to buy more costumes? 

Wait, no, that's a good thing. I guess they don't actually want the game to make money. The only reason I can fathom is, then, that they are currently subscribing and they know that the only thing worth a pickle in the subscription is the wardrobe. So they don't want that taken away because they feel they are entitled to it for paying.

Uhm.  You do realize you answered your own question, right?

"It's hilarious to me that all these people who defend the wardrobe being locked behind a subscription can't really give examples or good reasons of the supposed damage that unlocking it to everyone would bring"

"the only thing worth a pickle in the subscription is the wardrobe."

Anyways, pretty much all of 'em flat out say that's the reason to keep it locked.  And yes, since it's what they're paying for, seems only reasonable that they actually ARE entitled to it for paying.

5 hours ago, Lurkios said:

The other MMOs also have RNG boxes which we...

Oh... yeah.

Yeah...

Thank you for making my point.

Literally nothing would change about the direction of this cash shop if the wardrobe were available to everyone. To the folk saying it's the only thing worth subbing for, well... for one, I question the wisdom of paying $15 (well a little less) to essentially rent inventory space. For another, I would argue this is a sign that NCSoft needs to work on making Premium more attractive - or work in systems into the game that make some of those bonuses worthwhile at level cap (e.g. provide a use for xp earned at level cap).

1 hour ago, GnatB said:

Uhm.  You do realize you answered your own question, right?

"It's hilarious to me that all these people who defend the wardrobe being locked behind a subscription can't really give examples or good reasons of the supposed damage that unlocking it to everyone would bring"

"the only thing worth a pickle in the subscription is the wardrobe."

Anyways, pretty much all of 'em flat out say that's the reason to keep it locked.  And yes, since it's what they're paying for, seems only reasonable that they actually ARE entitled to it for paying.

That just shows how bad premium is for NA/EU... if Wardrobe is the only incentive and it was free on other servers, why bother having premium feature for this game... NCSoft's basically saying "Pay for this feature that was originally free cuz we want da moneyz"

4 hours ago, TopKEK said:

That just shows how bad premium is for NA/EU... if Wardrobe is the only incentive and it was free on other servers, why bother having premium feature for this game... NCSoft's basically saying "Pay for this feature that was originally free cuz we want da moneyz"

Its only free on teh TW version. Its part of the premium package on all other versions of the game.  

On 2/5/2016 at 3:21 AM, SoulEchelon said:

Taken from a Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/444t7r/naeu_and_taiwan_premium_membership_comparison/

"

How Premium Membership works in Taiwan

• 30 days Premium membership costs 430 Ncoins, which is about $13 USD if you do a currency exchange (400 ncoins = 400 NTD). This is the standard membership rate but sometimes there are special prices/bundles that make it a lot cheaper.

• Unlike the NA/EU system, there is no such thing as Venture Tokens etc to get Hongmoon points. Instead, you get Hongmoon points daily for logging in. You get 1000 Hongmoon points immediately after purchasing a 30 days premium membership and then 600/day everyday while your premium membership is active (300/day if you are offline, 600/day if you are online for at least 5 hrs). So for a 30 day membership you can get 1000+18000 = 19k Hongmoon points if you log on everyday for 5 hrs. I personally much prefer this system as you can get alot of goodies for "free" via the Hongmoon points by simply logging in and not have to rely on the super low drop rate of the venture tokens.

• There is no rank system for Premium Membership. Somethings like coin drops from mobs, access to dragon express/storage vault, decreased tax for auction listings etc are all automatic/baseline. Other things like decreased gold cost for upgrades, increased XP etc have to be purchased from the Hongmoon shop via the Hongmoon points you earn. So you totally have a choice here on what you want and don't need to keep spending real $ on the cashshop to get better premium ranks for better benefits. The rank system in NA/EU I believe was imported from China version of the game.

Permanent Costumes/No Weapon upgrade Failure

• Taiwan has permanent costumes and no failure in upgrading weapons.I see people using this as a plus for the NA/EU version. 30 day Costumes and failures are only in the Chinese version I believe and the other F2P versions (Taiwan/Japan) all have permanent costumes and non-failures. So this is nothing special for NA/EU.

Wardrobe Access/Storage Vault

• Wardrobe access in Taiwan is available for everyone and not locked behind a premium membership.

• Storage Vault access via inventory is granted immediately once you purchase a premium membership and not locked behind a rank system (I believe you only get it on NA/EU if you are rank 9).

Hongmoon Shop

Lets take a look at the Hongmoon Shop, which is exclusive to Premium members and you purchase items from it using the Hongmoon points you earned daily for being a premium member.

• Five page of costumes, some of the same ones being sold for $12-15 USD on the NA/EU version, which you can acquire for 3000-6000 Hongmoon points (equivalent to about 10 days of Hongmoon points collection at 600 pts/per day).

• Brilliant keys for 3000 pts, Dragon Pouch 300 pts, and other food stuff.

• These are the special buffs/discounts you can purchase if you want them. Some example are damage buff (+4 attack, +8 extra damage, +3% crit etc) and others like 20% reduction in upgrade costs, more auction listing, special movement animation etc. Some of them are the stuff that we get in our Premium membership in NA/EU if you reach a specific rank. The difference here is that you buy exactly what you want using the Hongmoon points you accumulate daily.

• The RNG boxes purchased for Ncoins can be also brought for Hongmoon points. They cost 600 each or 12000 for 22. So you can get a RNG box a day if you want to use your points on that.

Cashshop

Taiwan also have a cashshop where you can purchase things for Ncoins. Here you can see the offerings - RNG boxes, new costumes like the Valentine one that was posted here a couple days ago. Some of the costumes are identical to the ones you can buy from Hongmoon shop. So for many costumes you have the option of buying via $$ or for "free" via your premium membership.

My Opinion

The Taiwan premium system feels a lot better and worthwhile compared to the NA/EU system. You get rewarded for logging in daily and can get ~3 costumes per month for free off the Hongmoon Shop if that is all you care about. Some essential things like bigger bag space can be resolved by using the points for dragon pouches. There is no need to deal with the ridiculously low drop rate for venture tokens and you can purchase the benefits you like directly instead of having to keep spending money to get better ranks for better benefits.

Yes there are RNG boxes in the Taiwan version but you can buy them with your accumulated Hongmoon points for being a Premium member. Wardrobe is not locked behind premium membership either, which felt like the biggest thing going for the NA/EU premium membership right now.

Since much of the NA/EU client was based on the Taiwan one, I am surprised they didn't include their premium membership model too and instead opted for a more cash grabbing model from China."

It's funny. When Blade and Soul was revealed to be coming to NA/EU last year, we were told that the cash shop system would be fair and balanced and not exploitative. Yet The TW version, out of all the other versions, is by far the best one.

Holy damn son

Seriously, from what I read the reasoning for not having a functional wardrobe system by default sounds like a buyer Stockholm syndrome for making a justification of a purchase over a bad deal. You know that the deal is horrible, yet you make the purchase for the sake of it's small benefits, and now you are defending the bad deal because it gives you a sense of commitment to the entire product, and shun others that does not makes the same choices as uncommitted people ('freeloaders'), even though it is not the case as people has actually spent money on costumes and dedicated their time to the game. If you think about this matter objectively you would understand that basically they have to make a better deal, as some iteration of threads about not enough incentive for premium benefits has been expounded in the forum, this issue is still closely related with each other.

People need to realize that what they need is actually a better deal on premium services.

I agree with op.

And hiding stuff behind timed purchases makes me avoid it. I bought the student bundle just to get pouches and access to the wardrobe. Now all the costumes i had then is forever hiding in the wardrobe. Only thing i can enjoy about them is sometimes open the wardrobe and do a preview. That deserves a laugh in it self, hahaha.

Hiding stuff behind timed purchases makes me avoid it really hard. And waiting for NCSoft to change it is not going to happen for alot of us. When a new game pops up alot of us is gone and nothing is holding me in BnS if i don't own and can use my stuff as i like. This game is already 4 years old but i like it because combat is fun and lots of other stuff in game is neat. 

On 2/6/2016 at 7:46 PM, Riganzero said:

^ this, exactly this, i was planing on buying some costumes, but not anymore because of this wardrobe thing, the prices are just too high, and ALSO i cant use them on diferent characters? its just stupid...

i want to know what games you people are playing where you can buy a costume and use it on multiple characters

ive never ever been allowed to do this in a game. costumes usually bind on use to that character.

Really don't know why people keep complaining about this. It costs 10 to 12 gold to buy 30 day premium in game which would give you wardrobe access for a month without paying any real money. I pay for premium and intend to carry on doing so solely for the wardrobe access. If the wardrobe is free or a one time purchase I would have no reason to carry on paying for premium each month, so if they do this they will be losing my monlthy sub.

For the people complaining about the difference between prices and item availability in this version versus the Taiwanese version, a Big Mac at McDonalds in Taiwan costs considerably less in Taiwan than it does at my local McDonalds and McDonalds in Taiwan also has many items on their menu that aren't available at mine. Should I start complaining to McDonalds until they rectify this injustice or should I just realise and accept that things are marketed differently in different parts of the world due to differences in local customs, tastes, disposable income and costs of doing business?

On 2/8/2016 at 8:54 PM, Sikab said:

I voted for Being it for only premiums. 1 time pruchase wouldn't work in the long run... even for 40$. That's what... 3 and a half month worth of subscription? Then what will be the income for the devs? the outfits? are you really want the devs to believe you will just throw money in their faces if they gave "you" the wardrobe... lol.

Premium is a steady income for the company so the freeloaders can continue to play for free, while us Paying costumers pay.

PS.: For those who bring up the argument "But I have so much outfits!!!!" <--- You don't need that many. Throw those away that you don't weat or will wear. No matter what "you" heared... BnS is NOT a Barbie Dress Up game. Outfits are cosmetic and NOT the endgame.

You do realize that the costumes cost more then premium for 30days right? If someone bought one costume a month and nothing else, they would be "supporting the game/devs" more then someone with just premium and nothing else. *cough* you *cough*

And you know what they say about assumptions don't you? Oh, they don't want premium, just the cosmetics, then they're a "freeloader" even though they spent more money then me. Oh you're not a "paying customer" because you don't have premium even though you outspent me on cosmetics.

That last part is basically "I don't like X, therefore nobody should" which is just plain stupid.  I mean why would you even bother posting on a thing about wardrobe if you don't even like cosmetics? O.o

Plus like, someone without premium who buys up all the cosmetics is paying WAY more then someone with just premium. But, they would be limited by the wardrobe on how much they can buy. Like you're saying, you should pay the bare minimum, no more, no less or you're not "supporting" the devs. O.o

BTW, I have premium, but a lot of friends do not. If the wardrobe is the only thing in premium worth subbing for (which afaik, it is), then they need to re-evaluate premium. I would MUCH rather have something like a third bank tab, even with just two/four rows that's shared account wide so I don't have to mail stuff to myself. That's convenience. Putting the wardrobe / achievement behind a paywall is just sleazy.

18 hours ago, Spiderbot said:

By the way, do you know what the word' entited' means? It means you have a right to something. It's not an insult, you silly people. 

You're exactly right about players being enticed to collecting outfits upon having the wardrobe available. You can literally press F3 any time you want and preview every outfit in the game. Some may just zone in on one or two outfits in particular, but there will be collection-impulsive players that will see so many outfits to collect and go out of their way to do exactly that. That means more play time. More longevity. And more potential income for NCsoft. Just because of that simple preview ability.

But giving the wardrobe to everyone is a long term thought process, and sadly many of these game companies only think short term. Thus, NCSoft isn't tapping into the huge well of players that love to collect/hoard shinies in mmos like this one.

To those somehow believing making wardrobe free is detrimental - go take a look at the other servers across the pond. They're doing quite well with free wardrobes.

Archived