Spammers/ server check.

TeckDaCosta

I think NC should do something about the spammers. Every day I block like 100 but nowadays they even spamming the party finders also so it's a bit difficult to find a party like this.

Also NC should create a site where we can check the servers if they are up or down. I like the game but they don't look after properly... If it will goes like this we will stop playing.

I worked on e-mail servers for years, so I have some professional experience here. (that will go totally unheard but w/e)

Here are some common methods to stop spam.

• Regex / Bayesian Filter: Most MMO's implement a regular expression filter into their chat system. It looks for various pastern in the text of the message. - Spammer solution it to change the message to avoid the Regex. (This in my opinion should be the last line of defense, not the first.)
  • Time Gate: BnS appears to be implementing a time gate where they have to level to a certain level to send messages. - Spammer solution is to level accounts in bulk to the appropriate level.
  • Rate Limit: Messages are blocked by the frequency that they are sent. This would be in my opinion the BEST method to prevent spam in a MMO.
  • Greylist: I have not seen a MMO use a greylist. Meaning the senders messages get blocked based upon the activities and behavior of the sender.

Spam is difficult to stop entirely because its profit to expense margin is large, basically it works because you guys actually buy gold from the spammers. (or enough of you buy to keep them in business) STOP DOING THAT. It's cheating and it ***** the game economy up.

• Rate Limit: Messages are blocked by the frequency that they are sent. This would be in my opinion the BEST method to prevent spam in a MMO.

^ this.... + active GM that bans the rest ( which can be player paid with NCoins you can make like 50 per server  - there is no cost for you NCoins doesnt cost you anything...

i mean just let them chat ban for 48 hours = they dont even have responsibility - just dont give them perma ban option spammers create new acc anyways, just let them flag accounts for spamming so the other guy who you actually pay have easier life.. bcs he cannot take srsly spam report from all players - he could take it srsly from player GM...)

COME ON

There are a few other things you can do that are prob bad... Source based, is the IP from China,Korea,Russia? then ban.. etc.. but yeah. They need to rate limit.. nobody should be allowed to send as many messages as they do.. spam or not. Why any player can post so many messages is a mystery to me.

Greylist could be good too.. Greylist could deny messages based upon various criteria. (did the person equip gear? do they have friends on a friend list? have they done x y z? Is their IP from a home user range or a corporate range? etc. no single one thing would cause a ban or an allow but a combination of several will determine the spammyness of the message.)

Hire me NCSoft.. just.. yeah.. I'll fix it.

Just now, JDThree said:

Greylist could be good too.. Greylist could deny messages based upon various criteria. (did the person equip gear? do they have friends on a friend list? have they done x y z? Is their IP from a home user range or a corporate range? etc.)

Hire me NCSoft.. just.. yeah.. I'll fix it.

^ this

10 minutes ago, JDThree said:

I worked on e-mail servers for years, so I have some professional experience here. (that will go totally unheard but w/e)

Here are some common methods to stop spam.

• Regex / Bayesian Filter: Most MMO's implement a regular expression filter into their chat system. It looks for various pastern in the text of the message. - Spammer solution it to change the message to avoid the Regex. (This in my opinion should be the last line of defense, not the first.)
  • Time Gate: BnS appears to be implementing a time gate where they have to level to a certain level to send messages. - Spammer solution is to level accounts in bulk to the appropriate level.
  • Greylist: I have not seen a MMO use a greylist. Meaning the senders messages get blocked based upon the activities and behavior of the sender.

Spam is difficult to stop entirely because its profit to expense margin is large, basically it works because you guys actually buy gold from the spammers. (or enough of you buy to keep them in business) STOP DOING THAT. It's cheating and it ***** the game economy up.

What If I just buy all of the gold they possibly have and then nobody else can get gold?

1 minute ago, ons said:

What If I just buy all of the gold they possibly have and then nobody else can get gold?

FFXI actually did that. They sucked out all the gold of people holding vast ammounts and banned a ton of accounts. : meh.. it worked ok.

16 hours ago, JDThree said:

FFXI actually did that. They sucked out all the gold of people holding vast ammounts and banned a ton of accounts. : meh.. it worked ok.

that too will work admin hiding like a normal player then get them by the ballzies......nice

but again that going to take a lot of work server side (i dont mean they cant do it but still we are still human)

1 minute ago, Remamhir said:

that too will work admin hiding like a normal player then get them by the ballzies......nice

but again that going to take a lot of work server side (i dont mean they cant do it but still we are still human)

They control the software so they have the ability to make it how they want. Yes, people make mistakes but a bad design is unfixable.. sometimes you need to come up with a new system. If they can't implement some of these things on their current system then they need to go back to the drawing board and fix it for good instead of trying to put a band-aid on the problem. (A time gate is a bandaid)

16 hours ago, JDThree said:

They control the software so they have the ability to make it how they want. Yes, people make mistakes but a bad design is unfixable.. sometimes you need to come up with a new system. If they can't implement some of these things on their current system then they need to go back to the drawing board and fix it for good instead of trying to put a band-aid on the problem. (A time gate is a bandaid)

or they can implement a chat ban on those who are abusing it ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

Archived