shutdown times unacceptable

ons

Ok, so 15 minutes seems fair, but the issue is I've seen the server go down with not even a minute of notice. Now while most times I have no issue with this, it seems you guys like to do this during the night, or mainly in the early morning right around when dailies reset. Now it just so happens I was turning in my quests for my dailies and I didn't get to finish them all, so when I relog they will be refreshed and I will have lost out. I suggest you give players a minimum of an hour heads up before any server shutdown. 15 minutes is a joke. And like I've said I have even seen less than 30 seconds or 1 minute shutdowns pop-up. This is absolutely unacceptable in any game. What if players were about to kill blackwyrm and you said 1 minute til shutdown, or 30 seconds til shutdown? Do you think these players would want to continue playing if they knew the server could go down at any time, when they spent an hour on a boss?

All I ask is for decent timed shutdowns, no matter what time of hour. And I'm not the only person I should hope, who would like this as well.

Inb4 white knights arrive.

Yea, there were 30, 15, and 5 minute announcements.   It was 3-4 lines long in red ...so, you must have system messages turned off on whatever chat tab you were looking at, or it scrolled by quick when you weren't looking at it. 

I can easily imagine people missing it who are in the dungeon or arena lobbies....or, fighting 1v1 arena and not being able to read chat.

2 minutes ago, XR said:

Um. There was a 30min announcement...

Do to bot spam, a lot of people have a blank chat page that they use. Or one with guild only etc. so I can see how someone would miss the very frequent and sad news of the server shutdown.

The maintenance announcement was posted on the forums 22 hours ago:

It was also announced on Twitter 22 hours ago:

In-game announcements were sent at 30, 15, and 5 minutes from maintenance, and we even left the servers on for a few minutes just to make sure players could get those last minute quests and kills in.

1 minute ago, KatHead said:

Do to bot spam, a lot of people have a blank chat page that they use. Or one with guild only etc. so I can see how someone would miss the very frequent and sad news of the server shutdown.

Sure it could easily be missed. But, Since they mentioned the server's were going to be down for 30hrs.

How can you miss that faction spam /laugh

The real problem is : Why u do maintenance at 10 AM? or why u do maintenance at 4 pm? why u do that when all Players are on? 

Pls Ncsoft do maintenace  when people dont play.. mhmm Like 2 am - 6  am?      FOR EU SERVERS.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, KatHead said:

Well MAYBE these people should include important system messages in their chat tab. this can be done!
How else should the developers do it? Take our ability away to pick what we want to see?

4 minutes ago, Faara said:

They don't make any differences between NA and EU, so there is never a time when nobody plays.

And this here is the problem, they should pull NA and EU maintenance apart. This is 2016, there is no excuse about technical limitations or whatever. It has been done by other studios, so NCsoft can very well do the same. If they actually care about their EU playerbase, that is.

Just now, Veldan said:

And this here is the problem, they should pull NA and EU maintenance apart. This is 2016, there is no excuse about technical limitations or whatever. It has been done by other studios, so NCsoft can very well do the same. If they actually care about their EU playerbase, that is.

i totally agree. 

30 minutes ago, Babbletr0n said:
30 minutes ago, Babbletr0n said:

In-game announcements were sent at 30, 15, and 5 minutes from maintenance, and we even left the servers on for a few minutes just to make sure players could get those last minute quests and kills in.

Well see here in lies the problem, why should I be responsible for finding out when (you guys) are going to shutdown the server, shouldn't this information be displayed better in-game? or maybe on login? Now, not to say it isn't provided in-game it's just hard to notice, I mean shit, every time you want to go into another zone if you don't have an ssd you have to load it. So maybe the message is lost there. Or maybe it's lost with bots spamming 24/7, who knows.

I mean again, not to place blame directly onto yourself, because I doubt you control these things. But why should I be responsible for finding out this information, should it not be provided to me? I mean maybe I just happened to miss seeing it within the constant bot spamming in the bottom left of my screen, or maybe I was changing zones, or maybe I just decided to log in and not go to the blade and soul twitter? I'm just not this type of person. I just wanna log on and play then log off. I don't wanna go to your twitter, if you want me (the customer) to know shit, then make it available to me directly.

This would be like going to a restaurant and the server coming to the table and saying, "ok so do you know what you want to eat?" "Bruh... I don't have a menu." "Oh well we don't have menu's you have to talk to the cook and see what he makes, oh and by the way you have to leave because we're going to be cleaning the store in 15 minutes, you didn't check our twitter?"

As some constructive advice, maybe possibly putting shutdown times within the updater itself. I mean If I have to go to your twitter or to the forums to see shutdown times I will. But it would be more convenient if i had this information upon login.

Anyways, not to be a dick but I could sit here and list off problems other than this that I see within the game, but overall the good>bad. Optimize the game and you can shutdown the server anytime you want.

So -

• they put system messages in game
  • they posted alerts on social media
  • they posted in the announcements forum
  • there were threads on here due to the comedy 30 hour downtime typo

and that's not enough? Using your own analogy this is the equivalent of someone putting the menu on your table, tweeting the menu to your phone, putting the menu on their website, and other people chatting about the menu all around you, and you sitting at your table with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears screaming that it's totally unacceptable that you don't know what to eat. 

Sorry dude, take some personal responsibility. There are plenty of things NC Soft do badly, but you can't have this one.

10 minutes ago, Jibber said:

So -

and that's not enough? Using your own analogy this is the equivalent of someone putting the menu on your table, tweeting the menu to your phone, putting the menu on their website, and other people chatting about the menu all around you, and you sitting at your table with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears screaming that it's totally unacceptable that you don't know what to eat. 

Sorry dude, take some personal responsibility. There are plenty of things NC Soft do badly, but you can't have this one.

How does this negate anything I said?

system messages blocked by spam/changing zones/pvping -CHECK

social media posting system messages favors my point -CHECK

forums posting messages favors my point -CHECK

threads on forums which is the same exact thing -CHECK

Unlike yourself, I don't want to come to the forums, I don't want to check twitter, should I be made to check these things every single day when maybe I only have an hour or two to play? Or maybe it's more convenient that when I am updating/at character select a message pops up and says SERVER MAINTENANCE at 1AM PST.

Like I said at the end of the post which I know you didn't finish reading

"As some constructive advice, maybe possibly putting shutdown times within the updater itself. I mean If I have to go to your twitter or to the forums to see shutdown times I will. But it would be more convenient if i had this information upon login."

So maybe you should take some responsibility and read ALL of the post next time.

4 hours ago, KatHead said:

Their new filter catches most people. The other two or three you can manually block. There's no real excuse for messing up. People on Runescape did this too; they push it to the last minute and whine when stuff goes awry.

3 minutes ago, Akamu said:

Their new filter catches most people. The other two or three you can manually block. There's no real excuse for messing up. People on Runescape did this too; they push it to the last minute and whine when stuff goes awry.

I literally had no clue up until the 15 minute announcement, I ran through poh24 did everything except poh and slashimi was runnin out of the dungeon and was literally turning in the quest when my game froze and gave me a countdown I was at the quest screen and it wouldn't let me turn them in.

1 minute ago, ons said:

How does this negate anything I said?

system messages blocked by spam/changing zones/pvping -CHECK

social media posting system messages favors my point -CHECK

forums posting messages favors my point -CHECK

threads on forums which is the same exact thing -CHECK

Unlike yourself, I don't want to come to the forums, I don't want to check twitter, should I be made to check these things every single day when maybe I only have an hour or two to play? Or maybe it's more convenient that when I am updating/at character select a message pops up and says SERVER MAINTENANCE at 1AM PST.

Like I said at the end of the post which I know you didn't finish reading

"As some constructive advice, maybe possibly putting shutdown times within the updater itself. I mean If I have to go to your twitter or to the forums to see shutdown times I will. But it would be more convenient if i had this information upon login."

Then all I can suggest my friend is that you ask NC Soft to employ a troupe of travelling minstrels to camp out side your house and serenade you with their finest rendition of the "Maintenance Downtime Concerto for strings" for 10 hours straight the moment anyone even considers rebooting a server .

... though I suspect even if they did that you would complain that you had your window shut. 

3 hours ago, ons said:

I literally had no clue up until the 15 minute announcement, I ran through poh24 did everything except poh and slashimi was runnin out of the dungeon and was literally turning in the quest when my game froze and gave me a countdown I was at the quest screen and it wouldn't let me turn them in.

That's kind of your fault. That's what I'm saying. Do you expect a personal phone call or something?

3 minutes ago, Jibber said:

Then all I can suggest my friend is that you ask NC Soft to employ a troupe of travelling minstrels to camp out side your house and serenade you with their finest rendition of the "Maintenance Downtime Concerto for strings" for 10 hours straight the moment anyone even considers rebooting a server .

... though I suspect even if they did that you would complain that you had your window shut. 

This made me laugh I will admitt, but you are still missing the point. All I'm talking about is convenience I never said I wouldn't check the twitter or forums, as I linked above. You are just assuming this because you didn't finish reading. I'm sorry you decided to make your mind up without having all the information. Maybe if you were actually interested with the point I was making instead of just thinking about what you were responding with we could progress.

13 minutes ago, Jibber said:

So -

You're absolutely right! This is the exact analogy of what this cry baby created this post about.

5 minutes ago, ons said:

You play a MMORPG on the INTERNET and you don't want to use the INTERNET?
GTFO of here - It's amazing how some people think they're privileged...
What do you want? A NCSoft employee to knock on your door and tell you there'll be maintenance?

2 minutes ago, Ragz said:

You're absolutely right! This is the exact analogy of what this cry baby created this post about.

You play a MMORPG on the INTERNET and you don't want to use the INTERNET?
GTFO of here - It's amazing how some people think they're privileged...
What do you want? A NCSoft employee to knock on your door and tell you there'll be maintenance?

I think it's clarified what I want, if you could manage to stop focusing on the negative.

As some constructive advice, maybe possibly putting shutdown times within the updater itself. I mean If I have to go to your twitter or to the forums to see shutdown times I will. But it would be more convenient if i had this information upon login.

Anyways, not to be a dick but I could sit here and list off problems other than this that I see within the game, but overall the good>bad. Optimize the game and you can shutdown the server anytime you want.

Archived